Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

"

Old Jan 13, 2012, 08:10 PM   #121
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Megaman
Rage3D Veteran

Megaman once held a door open for a complete strangerMegaman once held a door open for a complete strangerMegaman once held a door open for a complete strangerMegaman once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Yeh why not, whats its on now again? 1.375v? try drop it to 1.35v or so, perhaps you could even go lower..
cpu vcore = 1.36875v

qpi/vtt = 1.31v

Quote:
But you now have a (semi) stable point to work from and are in the ballpark.

That's cos you guys rock
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 08:11 PM   #122
demo
space cadet

demo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badges

You also might want to invest in a $10 120mm case fan blowing straight onto the cooler (put it where you said you removed some cone thing which I assume was for air to the CPU)

And just play with voltages, you're in the ballpark now and wiht a little trial and error can find the lowest stable voltage. Probably 1.35v with max load line calibration will do.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 08:14 PM   #123
Megaman
Rage3D Veteran

Megaman once held a door open for a complete strangerMegaman once held a door open for a complete strangerMegaman once held a door open for a complete strangerMegaman once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:

And just play with voltages, you're in the ballpark now and wiht a little trial and error can find the lowest stable voltage. Probably 1.35v with max load line calibration will do.
No prbs. Would ten runs (after dropping volts) of intel testing do or drop it a little?
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 13, 2012, 08:17 PM   #124
demo
space cadet

demo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I think 5 is default, that would probably do for a quick rough test.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 08:22 PM   #125
Megaman
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
I think 5 is default, that would probably do for a quick rough test.
Nah its ten but I dropped it to 5. At 1.35v now and 5 runs it was successful with temps reaching 87 degrees
Old Jan 13, 2012, 08:24 PM   #126
demo
space cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
Nah its ten but I dropped it to 5. At 1.35v now and 5 runs it was successful with temps reaching 87 degrees
keep going, perhaps it was QPI/VTT all along
Old Jan 13, 2012, 08:32 PM   #127
Megaman
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
keep going, perhaps it was QPI/VTT all along
OK I'll drop the vcore ONLY by one notch each time until it fails the test then back it back up one notch. See how it goes thanks.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 08:37 PM   #128
Megaman
Rage3D Veteran

Hmmm it bitched and reset the cpu after I restarted, no change, but intel burn was successful????
Old Jan 13, 2012, 08:47 PM   #129
demo
space cadet

Hrmm not sure m8, perhaps you need more voltage, be it core or QPI/VTT. It passed intel burn test under heavy load though which is good, like I said you are in the ballpark now and youre just going to have to fiddle with core and QPI/VTT voltages a bit.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:47 PM   #130
Megaman
Rage3D Veteran

OK well I started her back up, was set to 2.3GHZ had a look in BIOS and all the settings were the same even though it bitched about the overclocking so I made sure everything was set as normal, voltage is still at 1.35v instead of 1.36v and saved it. Got back in did an intelburn all went well with temps at 85 degrees . Restarted the PC to test if it would reset but didn't . I'll Skyrim it now and see what temps are reading if they are high I'll drop the voltage and test again. Thanks for the help guys

Oh and apart from Temps on the CPU what else do I look for using HM and cpu-z?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:19 PM   #131
demo
space cadet

Yeh the only thing that doesnt reset is cpu multi for some reason, so you probably had 18 x 133 in bios.

Just watch the temps m8, thats the only issue. If all is stable and temps are fine you're in business.

Quote:
Thanks for the help guys
I aim to please
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:13 AM   #132
Megaman
Rage3D Veteran

OK it Blue screened me during Skyrim after a little over an hours worth.
Looks like its the same code again. Do you want me to up the vcore only?

roblem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 3081

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: 124

BCP1: 0000000000000000

BCP2: FFFFFA8007DC8028

BCP3: 00000000FA000000

BCP4: 0000000000400405

OS Version: 6_1_7601

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\011412-25802-01.dmp

C:\Users\blah\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-50700-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...8&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:17 AM   #133
demo
space cadet

BCCode: 124

99 times out of 100 is QPI/VTT, give it a bump, and sure up the vcore 1 or 2 steps too

Watch temps too, as the higher the temps the more unstable it may become, so for instacne at lower temps the same voltage may be perfectly stable.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:30 AM   #134
Megaman
Rage3D Veteran

cpu vcore = 1.35625v

qpi/vtt = 1.330v

Stress testing now. 6 shots 91 degrees. Back to Skyrim, see how it goes.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:32 AM   #135
demo
space cadet

Actually the CPU might be throttling at that temp, not sure.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 01:00 AM   #136
Megaman
Rage3D Veteran

hmmmm temps hit 72 degrees. Ya reckon nowt hat I uped the QTI/VTT I can drop a bit of vcore? There is no way I'll go any more then 3.6Ghz.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 01:48 AM   #137
demo
space cadet

Thats pretty warm for in game. You're just gonna have to mess with voltages and CPU multi until you find something you're comfortable with.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:25 AM   #138
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan is still being judged by the masses

Can you try lowering the Uncore speed or maybe the QPI Link. For the QPI Link, make sure its x32. For the Uncore, im not sure what options you will have, but try choosing something that gives a speed close to the default if possible.

Perhaps try without hyperthreading enabled (if thats not important to you)?

Try upping CPU PLL to 1.85V-1.90V (default is 1.80V) and see if it helps. Maybe even increase PCH core voltage ever so slightly.
Antec P180 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | Intel i5-3570K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | ASUS Strix GTX 980 OC | SyncMaster 2433BW 1920X1200 | Razer Lachesis | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 8.1 Professional

Google Nexus 4 | franco.Kernel
Danny Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:44 PM   #139
demo
space cadet

Got your new system yet Danny?
Old Jan 14, 2012, 04:55 PM   #140
BababooeyHTJ
Rage3D Veteran

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
cpu vcore = 1.35625v

qpi/vtt = 1.330v

Stress testing now. 6 shots 91 degrees. Back to Skyrim, see how it goes.
Thats an insane amount of vtt for a 200bclk. I never needed more than 1.19 for a 200 bclk.

If you drop the cpu multi and pass some stress testing then the vtt is fine. Right now you're just throwing **** against the wall to see what sticks.

Once you have the vtt and memory where you need it by doing rigorous stress testing with a low multi slowly start upping the multi and stress testing with Intel Burn Test one notch at a time. When you fail bump up core voltage. I never use loadline. It just makes the chip run hotter while under load. Having a high idle voltage isn't a big deal imo.

Last edited by BababooeyHTJ : Jan 14, 2012 at 05:05 PM.
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:04 PM   #141
demo
space cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
Thats an insane amount of vtt for a 200bclk. I never needed more than 1.19 for a 200 bclk.

If you drop the cpu multi and pass some stress testing then the vtt is fine. You're just throwing **** against the wall right now to see what sticks.

Once you have the vtt and memory where you need it slowly start upping the multi and stress testing with Intel Burn Test one notch at a time. When you fail bump up core voltage. I never use loadline. It just makes the chip run hotter while under load. Having a high idle voltage isn't a big deal imo.
Well he keeps getting bccode 124 errors without that much VTT, my i7 930 also needed a lot of VTT (not much under vcore), although I was pushing over 4GHz.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:07 PM   #142
BababooeyHTJ
Rage3D Veteran

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Well he keeps getting bccode 124 errors without that much VTT, my i7 930 also needed a lot of VTT (not much under vcore), although I was pushing over 4GHz.
I don't buy into that to be honest. There is no way that he needs 1.3v vtt for such a low base clock with only two occupied dimms. If you can drop the cpu multi and stop seeing those bsods then he needs more core voltage. Overclocking that way never failed me with lynnfield.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:12 PM   #143
demo
space cadet

If you say so, but error 124 is usually VTT.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:22 PM   #144
Megaman
Rage3D Veteran

Currently set the following

BCLK = 200
cpu ratio 18
Turbo boost = auto (most likely as I changed the cpu ration but didn't look.
enhanced performace = standard
pcie frequency = 100
cpu vcore = 1.3500v
qpi/vtt = 1.31v
line calibration = enabled
cpu enhanced halt (c1e) = disabled
c3/c6/c7 state support = disabled
system memory multiplier = 8 (1600mhz)
XMP = profile 1

Any QPI/VTT below 1.31v will not survive intel burn. Temps hit 87 degrees.

I can drop the cpu multi to 16 ONLY and then test everythin as is. I'll do that now.

So after that you want me to drop bclk to 16 ? increase system memory
multiplier to 10? Memory will stay at 1600mhz. vcore at 1.35? Getting confused here

Last edited by Megaman : Jan 14, 2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:24 PM   #145
Megaman
Rage3D Veteran

Danny, use this as reference if it helps.

http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/ar...#axzz1j62rzTHb
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:33 PM   #146
BababooeyHTJ
Rage3D Veteran

Last edited by BababooeyHTJ : Jan 14, 2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:50 PM   #147
Megaman
Rage3D Veteran

Thanks Baba I'll read it when I have nothing else to do i.e tomorrow at work

FYI I just intelburn tested this again with vcore 1.346 and QPI at 1.31v. Was successful. Temps reached 86 degrees after 8 runs instead of 5 previously.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:56 PM   #148
BababooeyHTJ
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Thanks Baba I'll read it when I have nothing else to do i.e tomorrow at work

FYI I just intelburn tested this again with vcore 1.346 and QPI at 1.31v. Was successful. Temps reached 86 degrees after 8 runs instead of 5 previously.
Thats the one thing that I don't really love about IBT. I once ran 15 runs on my Q9650 where it passed only to have it fail the next time that I ran only five runs. You really need to do like 40 runs or a couple of hours for definitive results. With Prime if you fail 20 minutes in when you reboot and run the test again you will fail 20 minutes in, linpack isn't like that.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:59 PM   #149
demo
space cadet

Intel burn is good for a rough guide, but like baba pointed out earlier in the thread you should use prime95 or linpack once you think you're close to stability.

Some poeple run it overnight for true stability testing, which is great if you cbf, but I'm lazy and usually just run it for short periods, then once I think Im stable give it a few hours at most, but a lot of true oc'ers will tell you thats not good enough.. but meh I want to play games, so if its stable enough for gaming I'm happy, as long as I never get BSOD's of course. I'm not running a server or anything so its not really that critical to do 24hrs imo. (flame suit)

edit: oh I see baba posted as I was typing my reply, anyway wise words.

Last edited by demo : Jan 14, 2012 at 06:07 PM.
demo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 06:15 PM   #150
Megaman
Rage3D Veteran

OK guys I'll push intel burn to 30. This beeping is killing me but right now its up to shot #23 and max temps have hit 92 degrees on core 3 only every other one is below this. Temps are under 88 degrees to thats a plus. My main concern are the temps. Stability so far has been fine. No BSOD thus far now so I'm happy to stick with it, as you say demo, just want to play games