Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

"

Old Dec 17, 2011, 06:51 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Default ICS available on Nexus S. Woohoo

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/16/a...s-nexus-s-sta/

download here (at your own risk of course.)
http://android.clients.google.com/pa...o/VQ8PQk_V.zip

Installing it myself right now.

Edit: the loading screen when you turn it on is pretty cool. It also does something with applications that takes a while.

Last edited by aviphysics : Dec 17, 2011 at 06:54 AM.
aviphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2011, 09:20 AM   #2
Elysian
No sir, I don't like it.

Elysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwards

The images for the Xoom WiFi are out too. Hopefully the 4G isn't far behind.

Edit: 3g/4g is live as of this morning... The rom calls for a newer baseband though so 3g/4g doesn't work nor the camera or hdmi but it's a step in the right direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamHere View Post
Come to my neighborhood and take a swing at me. I will kill you and I will walk.

Last edited by Elysian : Dec 17, 2011 at 09:45 AM.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:11 AM   #3
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

I have been playing around with it this morning and haven't found any problems on my Nexus S. The change to the app drawer scrolling I have mixed feelings about. I like that it remembers the last page you were on and I think horizontal scrolling is better than up down but I wish it still allowed continuous scrolling with momentum.

On the home screen stacking icons is nice and so is pushing the google search up and displaying it on all screens without getting in the way of icons.

Moving widgets to the app drawer was a good move to.

Last edited by aviphysics : Dec 17, 2011 at 10:15 AM.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:22 AM   #4
eNforcer
Rage3D Veteran

eNforcer once held a door open for a complete strangereNforcer once held a door open for a complete strangereNforcer once held a door open for a complete strangereNforcer once held a door open for a complete stranger

Got mine running (manual install) with root too!
eNforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2011, 01:36 PM   #5
kakarot
Rage3D Veteran

kakarot is still being judged by the masses

I hope motorola/verizon are quick getting this out; ics is sexy as hell.
enjoy the upgrades guys
kakarot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2011, 02:26 PM   #6
Thr0tt
Rage3D Veteran

Thr0tt is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakarot View Post
I hope motorola/verizon are quick getting this out; ics is sexy as hell.
enjoy the upgrades guys
Hahahaha for EU guys Motorola are non existent, we have only just got 3.2 ! ICS I see as a maybe for 2012 but don't hold any high hopes ever seeing it on my eXoom(b).
Specs: Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P | AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE 3.4GHz | Sapphire RADEON HD 7850 (Latest Cats) CCC | 8GB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel | Hanns-G HH281 28" LCD | X-Fi Ultimate Gamer (5.1) | LiteOn DH20A4P DVD-RW | Saitek Cyborg Evo Joystick | Win7 Ultimate
Thr0tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2011, 04:13 PM   #7
CurrentlyPissed
1.6 Litres of Fury

CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Wonder if the HTC Evo 3D will get it.

-George Carlin

Quote:
Life is like an Arrow on a bow. It constantly drags you back. But you are just moments away from springing forward.
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2011, 08:27 PM   #8
Elysian
No sir, I don't like it.

Elysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr0tt View Post
Hahahaha for EU guys Motorola are non existent, we have only just got 3.2 ! ICS I see as a maybe for 2012 but don't hold any high hopes ever seeing it on my eXoom(b).
xda.
Quote:
Come to my neighborhood and take a swing at me. I will kill you and I will walk.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 02:54 AM   #9
minaelromany
Rage3D Veteran

minaelromany can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyminaelromany can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Anybody knows when will it be available for T-Mobile Galaxy S II ?

My brother wants Arabic support so badly and I've read it will be available natively with ICS
SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC 1GHz/5.2GHz GDDR5
3 BenQ 2420HD 1080p 24" Widescreen LCD in Eyefinity
OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS 120GB SSD + 17.0TB of HDDs
Sound Blaster Z -Cambridge SoundWorks DTT 3500 Digital
Seasonic X-850
2xBenq 1640 - LiteOn iHAS120-Pioneer 111L - Samsung 203B - NEC Optiarc AD-7200S DVD+/-RW burners
NZXT Phantom Red Edition
minaelromany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:14 PM   #10
Mahjik
Rage3D Veteran

Mahjik once held a door open for a complete strangerMahjik once held a door open for a complete strangerMahjik once held a door open for a complete strangerMahjik once held a door open for a complete stranger

ICS is rolling out for Xoom (I think WiFi only) today. Mine was updated, but I haven't been able to mess with it as my wife has been hogging it all night...
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:45 AM   #11
Galmok
Rage3D Veteran

Galmok is still being judged by the masses

I have played just a tiny bit with the Nexus and I have to say, the browser sucks. I load my usual test site and it is loading slowly and when done, displays parts of the page in white and scrolls slowly. Galaxy S2 on the other hand loads the page perfectly and scrolling is very smooth. The iPhone 4S also loads the page perfectly and scrolls smothly.

I was considering the Nexus, but not with such a sluggish experience it gives in the browser. And no, flash wasn't loaded.
Galmok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:50 AM   #12
Elysian
No sir, I don't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galmok View Post
I have played just a tiny bit with the Nexus and I have to say, the browser sucks. I load my usual test site and it is loading slowly and when done, displays parts of the page in white and scrolls slowly. Galaxy S2 on the other hand loads the page perfectly and scrolling is very smooth. The iPhone 4S also loads the page perfectly and scrolls smothly.

I was considering the Nexus, but not with such a sluggish experience it gives in the browser. And no, flash wasn't loaded.
You were using a Nexus with ICS?
Quote:
Old Jan 19, 2012, 01:19 PM   #13
Mahjik
Rage3D Veteran

Mahjik once held a door open for a complete strangerMahjik once held a door open for a complete strangerMahjik once held a door open for a complete strangerMahjik once held a door open for a complete stranger

With the few minutes I used my Xoom last night, I had a similar experience however it was the stock browser working fine and Dolphin displaying a white browser screen (noticed this on Autoblog). The stock browser seems much faster now with ICS. I'll probably stop using Dolphin now (especially with the issues I had last night with it).
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 03:29 PM   #14
Galmok
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
You were using a Nexus with ICS?
No. Sorry. Just testing the browser the Nexus. It is bad.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 03:49 PM   #15
Elysian
No sir, I don't like it.

Quote:
No. Sorry. Just testing the browser the Nexus. It is bad.
The Nexus is now on ICS, your comments are pretty much useless if you haven't tried it since.
Quote:
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:19 AM   #16
Galmok
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
The Nexus is now on ICS, your comments are pretty much useless if you haven't tried it since.
It was the Nexus S., i.e. ICS.

I read ICS as Internet Connection Service. :-P Forgot what ICS meant in Android view.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:50 PM   #17
Elysian
No sir, I don't like it.

Quote:
It was the Nexus S., i.e. ICS.

I read ICS as Internet Connection Service. :-P Forgot what ICS meant in Android view.
Might just be a limitation of the Nexus S then, as my Xoom with ICS never displayed any white while browsing. You're comparing a single core phone to dual-cores anyways.
Quote:
Old Jan 20, 2012, 02:16 PM   #18
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:

The Nexus S has been downgraded to a freephone with contract and I doubt it is going to be available much longer so I don't really get the point of your comparison. You might as well be telling me about how slow an Athlon 64 is compared to an i7.

Now IMO as someone who actually uses the device, the Nexus S is a perfectly functional phone. I haven't had any problems with web pages not loading correctly and the hotspot functionality works great. It is certainly not the fastest phone and wasn't even the fastest at release, but the consistent update support and not having to hack in hotspot support has been worth the tradeoff. I also really like the shape.

Last edited by aviphysics : Jan 20, 2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 02:40 PM   #19
kakarot
Rage3D Veteran

A better comparison would have been the galaxy nexus and the S2. Similar horsepower wise but would allow you to appreciate ics even more. The ics browser is a massive improvement and the best I have used on a mobile device.

Also all you xoom users should check out the team eos ics roms at xda. Combined with a nice oc -and they do oc quite nicely- it makes for an amazing little tablet
Old Jan 20, 2012, 03:26 PM   #20
Galmok
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
The Nexus S has been downgraded to a freephone with contract and I doubt it is going to be available much longer so I don't really get the point of your comparison. You might as well be telling me about how slow an Athlon 64 is compared to an i7.
Hmm I obviously have something mixed up. I was looking at a new phone just the other day and was told it used Android/ICS. I believe the name Nexus was mentioned, but I can be wrong here. But the phone's browser was really crap and I'll stand by that experience.

After some searching, the phone I tried was the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Therein lies my mixup. Sorry. But the browser experience on the galaxy nexus was very poor.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 03:28 PM   #21
Galmok
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
A better comparison would have been the galaxy nexus and the S2. Similar horsepower wise but would allow you to appreciate ics even more. The ics browser is a massive improvement and the best I have used on a mobile device.
I have exactly the opposite experience. The galaxy s2 provides a much smoother (and complete) browser experience compared to the galaxy nexus.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 05:13 PM   #22
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
Hmm I obviously have something mixed up. I was looking at a new phone just the other day and was told it used Android/ICS. I believe the name Nexus was mentioned, but I can be wrong here. But the phone's browser was really crap and I'll stand by that experience.

After some searching, the phone I tried was the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Therein lies my mixup. Sorry. But the browser experience on the galaxy nexus was very poor.
Was your friend using the stock ICS browser or another one? I haven't had any problems with stock browser before or after upgrading from gingerbread to ICS and the Galaxy Nexus should be even faster. Also, desktop browsing might have been enabled on one phone but not the other or he might have installed some crudware on the phone that was slowing it down.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 04:18 AM   #23
Galmok
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Was your friend using the stock ICS browser or another one? I haven't had any problems with stock browser before or after upgrading from gingerbread to ICS and the Galaxy Nexus should be even faster. Also, desktop browsing might have been enabled on one phone but not the other or he might have installed some crudware on the phone that was slowing it down.
The phone was in a phone shop, i.e. probably factory settings.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 03:43 PM   #24
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
The phone was in a phone shop, i.e. probably factory settings.
Sometimes people playing with them install a bunch of stupid stuff on the display phones.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 04:42 PM   #25
Galmok
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Sometimes people playing with them install a bunch of stupid stuff on the display phones.
True. Flash (or something else) could have been installed, but I didn't see any flash active on the page I tested with. I do realized that the Nexus has far greater resolution than the S2 but from what I experienced, the cpu power available made a better fit for the S2. Much smoother experience there.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:41 AM   #26
kakarot
Rage3D Veteran

If that was true they would not be making an S2 HD edition Also display models are abused to no end you shouldn't use them to judge. There is a good read here on the new browser.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:55 PM   #27
Galmok
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
If that was true they would not be making an S2 HD edition Also display models are abused to no end you shouldn't use them to judge. There is a good read here on the new browser.
That may be true, but I have yet to try out a Samsung Galaxy S2 that was slow...
Old Jan 23, 2012, 01:05 PM   #28
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Maybe more people want to play with the Galaxy Nexus
Old Jan 23, 2012, 01:38 PM   #29
DivotMaker
Rage3D Veteran

DivotMaker is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
That may be true, but I have yet to try out a Samsung Galaxy S2 that was slow...
I had the exact OPPOSITE experience the short time I had one....
DivotMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2012, 07:12 AM   #30
Galmok
Rage3D Veteran

Well, I just tried the Nexus again and this time made sure no other apps were running and that plugins were disabled. No change. The browser is noticably slower (scrolling, zooming) than what the Galaxy S2 delivers although it loads the pages faster. But the "feature" about large areas being white remains. It occurs when I scroll down fast. It seems it simply forgets to redraw the areas because when I switch away from the browser and back, the missing content is rendered.

Also, at the main screen, the Nexus is _slow_. It lags about 0.5 seconds. This means I can do a left/right swipe and stop my hand from moving before the screen reacts. And when it reacts, the motion is not as fluid as what the S2 delivers. The S2 on the other hand follows my fingers with only little latency, hardly noticable.

I really wanted the Nexus due to its many features, but there is no question it will keep annoying me with the sluggish appearance. And the S2 hasn't got enough features (noticably lacking NFC).

I guess I'll keep using my trusty (11+ year old with original battery) Nokia 6210i. :-P