Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

"

Old Nov 16, 2011, 09:53 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
synk
Radeon HD 6950

synk is still being judged by the masses

Default What is fxaa?

And how to best use it? Im playing skyrim and it has this option. do i use it in conjunction with regular cp aa or as a substitute? im getting playable framerates even with this older system (hurt to say that). just looking for some knowledge about this tech.
CORSAIR 520HX Power Supply-Antec 900 case w/5 blue 120cm
Vista Home Premium 64-bit-Samsung 4061f@1920x1080
synk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 04:59 PM   #2
Hippo
Radeon HD 5850

Hippo is still being judged by the masses

FXAA is post-process anti-aliasing technique. http://timothylottes.blogspot.com/20...idia-fxaa.html

It has barely any performance hit and you get some anti-aliasing, and some blurring.

If you dont have too much of a hit with forced AA you should be able to use it to get rid of some of the aliasing on alpha textures (leaves, fences...)

for an example of use in Battlefield 3 also has FXAA, and deferred anti-alisaing. Since D. AA takes such a hit on my 5850 i just opt to use the FXAA. People who dont take a huge hit probably use 2xaa and high FXAA.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 05:22 PM   #3
demo
space cadet

demo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Yeh FXAA is just a "fake" shader based AA technique that has very little performance hit but does cause slight blurring. The AA quality itself is not as good either, but considering the performance its a pretty good option. I expect as time goes on FXAA quality will improve and teh blur will be reduced and I wouldnt be surprised if there comes a time when it is standard..
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:46 PM   #4
jimjobob
Rage3D Veteran

jimjobob can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjimjobob can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

running the game in 3d with 8xaa and I dont notice any aliasing difference between fxaa on and off but I do notice the increased detail with it off.
jimjobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:59 PM   #5
demo
space cadet

demo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Well in 3D it makes it more difficult to spot AA differences, and if you have 8xAA on already you wont notice any difference on poly edges, however you should be able to see a difference on tree leaves/bushes etc (transparent textures), unless you already have transparency AA activated in CP, otherwise you wont see a difference... or the game might have Transparency AA by default like FO3.

The only time it should be used imo is if you cant use real AA from either no support in the game, or performance reasons. Its a "plan B" for AA.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:27 PM   #6
jimjobob
Rage3D Veteran

jimjobob can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjimjobob can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

what I think is funny is RGFSAA was done away with because it blurs the image slightly but it would work no matter what rendering options were being used and looks damn good IMO and then they come up with fxaa wich doesnt look as good and blurs the image as well and possibly more. I would love to have it back as an option.
jimjobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:39 AM   #7
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I'm bored right now, so, a silly rant:

Imho,

Today, there is so much super-sampled flexibility; I can't believe it. My favorite mode is still x8sQ, but to have the ability for DirectX 10, 11, transparency and full scene is very welcomed. But, one of the areas, that I was very happy to see was the ability to add just a x2, x4 or x8 sample with transparency and full scene and opened the door for not just transparency but a plethora of mixed/hybrid modes of multi/super sampled.

But, these can only go so far depending on application and titles that may use deferred rendering. There's always something and usually has to do with developers not taking the care or spending the resources to make their games shine for the PC platform.

One can offer all the tools in the world to developers but no guarantee they will use them, but one must continue to try.

Appreciate the work and imaginations that the developers do -- they know what is best for their titles but personally look to the IHV's to lead and try to work around these things and improve the gaming experience by enhancements, flexibility and continue to work with developers.

I would like to know the inner-workings and strategies, hehe!

Just when you thought the world and its forums were doomed; a new hero saves the day: http://i26.tinypic.com/okpfs8.jpg
SIrPauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 11:08 AM   #8
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Ideally FXAA is used in combination with MSAA.
I belive BF3 does this on the highest setting.
MSAA deals with the geometry well, and FXAA works on the level of the rendered image, so it´ll smooth out vegitation and stuff with rough alpha, and shader aliasing, like SSAA would but not as well and with a very minor performance hit.