Nov 14, 2011, 08:48 AM
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Rage3D Tech Editor
Join Date: Oct 2003
AMD Bulldozer based Opterons 'Interlagos' & 'Valencia' launch
AMD today announced immediate launch and availability of its AMD Opteron™ 6200 and 4200 Series processors (formerly code-named “Interlagos” and “Valencia”).
The new AMD Opteron processors are designed to give enterprises:
- Better performance for business with up to 84 percent higher performance
- Increased scalability for Virtualization with up to 73 percent more memory bandwidth, enabling servers to host more virtual machines and also handle increasing workloads
- More efficient economics for the Cloud with half the power per core , requiring 2/3 less floor spaceiv and up to 2/3 lower platform price
“Our industry is at a new juncture; virtualization has provided a new level of reliable consolidation and businesses are now looking to the cloud for even more agility and efficiency. We designed the new AMD Opteron processor for this precise moment,” said Paul Struhsaker, corporate vice president and general manager, Commercial Business, AMD. “The wait for the most anticipated new product and architecture for servers is over. Leading OEMs are now offering cloud, enterprise and HPC customers a full suite of solutions based on the industry’s most comprehensive server processor portfolio, the new AMD Opteron family of processors which deliver an inspired balance of performance, scalability and efficiency.”
Key Facts, Performance and Technical Detail
- 89 percent greater performancevi than the most popular server processorvii from the competition at the same price
- An extremely comprehensive processor portfolio scaling from 4- to 16-cores
- Unmatched power efficiency with power envelopes that are consistent with previous generation platforms and as low as 4.375W per core
- Up to 24 percent to 84 percent better performance on key cloud, virtualization and HPC workloadsix
- Highest 2P server TPCC scorex
- Lower cost per virtual machine (VM)xi
- Up to 4 memory channels with up to 1600 MHz memory
- The only x86 processor to support ultra-low voltage 1.25v memory
- Supports up to 12 DIMMs per CPU for up to 384GB memory per CPU
- Up to Four x16 HyperTransport™ technology (HT3) Links at up to 6.4GT/s per link
The notes and citations anre lengthy and put the above claims in context, Read the full Press Release from AMD here.
Together, these new features allow AMD to deliver unparalleled performance, scalability and efficiency for highly threaded workloads like HPC, database, virtualization, and especially, the emerging web and cloud market.
ಠ_ಠ The Contents of this Message are my own Opinion and may intend to be satirical. u mad?