Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

"

Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:58 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Och
ATI Champion

Och is still being judged by the masses

Default What exactly is ENB series

So I've been hearing a lot about this mod lately, but I can't seem to find much detailed information about it. What is it, how does it work and what does it do?
Och is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:00 PM   #2
spindoctor
Rage3D Spammer

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

the enb series of mods are a lot of mods for a bunch of different games. they're just called the enb series because they're all made by one person (or one team, not very sure). this is their website - http://enbdev.com/index_en.html where you can see which games they've released mods for, what each one does and obviously you can download them. in general the mods usually make games look better by changing around shaders and stuff like that which aren't normally exposed by the developers. they add a lot of pc specific features to games which are mostly all console ports these days and they sometimes improve performance and remove bugs too. they're most graphics related though.

Last edited by spindoctor : Oct 12, 2011 at 10:02 PM.
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:09 PM   #3
Sobek
Radeon HD 7970

Sobek is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post
the enb series of mods are a lot of mods for a bunch of different games. they're just called the enb series because they're all made by one person (or one team, not very sure). this is their website - http://enbdev.com/index_en.html where you can see which games they've released mods for, what each one does and obviously you can download them. in general the mods usually make games look better by changing around shaders and stuff like that which aren't normally exposed by the developers. they add a lot of pc specific features to games which are mostly all console ports these days and they sometimes improve performance and remove bugs too. they're most graphics related though.
More or less. ENBseries basically intercepts draw calls and inserts its own code to add or improve existing visual effects. Generally speaking, it can't cause a game to run better because by intercepting those calls and brutally plugging in additional rendering code, it adds significant overheads to the rendering and makes things run worse. If you're system is overall quite powerful, then the effect may be fairly unnoticeable.

It's a great tool though, and pretty much the only way to add some of the more advanced visual effects into a game that either is supported by the renderer but not in any way enabled in the game, or that was poorly implemented by the developers in the first place.

Ambient occlusion, Antialiasing / Supersampling, lighting effects and other similar things are what it can do for a game. You can see some basic comparisons of it being used in GTA4 on the link below, but it's from a horribly outdated version. Still, you get the idea;

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,7...ideo/Practice/

The screenshots below are what GTA4 CAN look like now with a heavily modded version of ENBseries, called 'iCEnhancer', done by a different person altogether;

Big image so no thumbnail - http://www.gtagaming.com/images/mods...74_Capture.PNG

If you can run it, it's totally worth it.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 13, 2011, 02:36 PM   #4
BababooeyHTJ
Rage3D Veteran

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

I have almost never had good luck with any ENB series mod. They definitely don't remove bugs, I'll tell you that much.
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:00 PM   #5
Destroy
Rage3D Spammer

Destroy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDestroy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Does ENB consume more cpu power or gpu power or both equally?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 05:31 PM   #6
Canesfan2020
Rage3D Veteran

Canesfan2020 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCanesfan2020 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
Does ENB consume more cpu power or gpu power or both equally?
CPU and Ram don't seem to play a significant role. You do need some serious gpu power though.
Canesfan2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 06:11 PM   #7
jimjobob
Rage3D Veteran

jimjobob can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjimjobob can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobek View Post
More or less. ENBseries basically intercepts draw calls and inserts its own code to add or improve existing visual effects. Generally speaking, it can't cause a game to run better because by intercepting those calls and brutally plugging in additional rendering code, it adds significant overheads to the rendering and makes things run worse. If you're system is overall quite powerful, then the effect may be fairly unnoticeable.

It's a great tool though, and pretty much the only way to add some of the more advanced visual effects into a game that either is supported by the renderer but not in any way enabled in the game, or that was poorly implemented by the developers in the first place.

Ambient occlusion, Antialiasing / Supersampling, lighting effects and other similar things are what it can do for a game. You can see some basic comparisons of it being used in GTA4 on the link below, but it's from a horribly outdated version. Still, you get the idea;

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,7...ideo/Practice/

The screenshots below are what GTA4 CAN look like now with a heavily modded version of ENBseries, called 'iCEnhancer', done by a different person altogether;

Big image so no thumbnail - http://www.gtagaming.com/images/mods...74_Capture.PNG

If you can run it, it's totally worth it.
The bottom pic is from a mix of several enb releases including icenhancer and in the middle of editing it. Eventually it was improved quite a bit over that but thats the beauty of enb is you can leave them as is and they look great or you can tweak it to your specific preferences.

Also at about that point I transfered my game file to another pc that is just a c2d e6750 with a gtx 460 1gb both stock and it ran slightly better then the default game on that pc.

EDIT: You also need to be careful with Icenhancer as there are some texture mods included that are worse then the origonals. I played through most of the game before I realised my trees were worse then the default.

Last edited by jimjobob : Jan 4, 2012 at 06:18 PM.
jimjobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 06:34 PM   #8
Destroy
Rage3D Spammer

Destroy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDestroy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ENB just takes too much of a frame rate hit 30fps-->18fps Maybe you SLI or Crossfire people can do it but my rig can't.

Plus it doesn't look good much of the time.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 07:01 PM   #9
jimjobob
Rage3D Veteran

jimjobob can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjimjobob can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
ENB just takes too much of a frame rate hit 30fps-->18fps Maybe you SLI or Crossfire people can do it but my rig can't.

lol i clicked your link then responded to it in that thread thinking it was still in this one.
jimjobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 02:50 AM   #10
Mangler
BUY CALL OF DUTY!

Mangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:

The same seems to be true for the skyrim enb configs.

During certain lighting condition they look like ****.

Last edited by Mangler : Jan 5, 2012 at 02:58 AM.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote