Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

"

Old May 22, 2011, 08:57 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
jtpeace
hear in the quiet

jtpeace is still being judged by the masses

Default I was wrong

I bought an I pad 2, and the reality is that it's a beautiful machine. Unfortunately, mine had a small defect in the screen, and me being anal, I began looking more closely at other tablets. Today I bought an Acer Iconia Tab (32 Gb wifi), and man am I impressed!

The Ipad is going back, and I'm keeping this machine. I bought it over the Xoom for two reasons: I'm a cheap bastard, and it has a full USB port. The Xoom is also a beautiful machine, no doubt, but I have no regret going the cheaper route. I'm looking forward to the 3.1 update...and I sure hope that more developers work on apps. Android can't touch iOS in that regard.
Old May 22, 2011, 09:42 PM   #2
shrike126

shrike126 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesshrike126 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesshrike126 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesshrike126 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesshrike126 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesshrike126 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesshrike126 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesshrike126 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Subscriber

If I were to buy a tablet right now, it would be the Asus Transformer with that laptop dock. Damn that thing's sexy. but your Acer is worth a or two as well, nice buy.
Old May 22, 2011, 09:49 PM   #3
Elysian
No sir, I don't like it.

Elysian knows why the caged bird singsElysian knows why the caged bird singsElysian knows why the caged bird singsElysian knows why the caged bird singsElysian knows why the caged bird singsElysian knows why the caged bird sings

Just fyi, not that it matters now, but Xoom has USB hosting, though you do need a dongle, micro USB exists because it takes up less space. Glad you like your Iconia, you're going to REALLY like it with 3.1, it's honestly a massive upgrade. Hell, now I can play high profile 720p h.264 movies at full framerate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamHere View Post
Come to my neighborhood and take a swing at me. I will kill you and I will walk.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 22, 2011, 10:06 PM   #4
jtpeace
hear in the quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Just fyi, not that it matters now, but Xoom has USB hosting, though you do need a dongle, micro USB exists because it takes up less space. Glad you like your Iconia, you're going to REALLY like it with 3.1, it's honestly a massive upgrade. Hell, now I can play high profile 720p h.264 movies at full framerate.
To be honest it was your gushing over 3.1 that got me to take another look at the android machines. And, man am I glad I did. Don't get me wrong, I really do like the iPad 2, but I'm liking this machine much more. Typing is so much better on here, as one example. The iPad screen is better (in my opinion), and for that reason I thought about waiting for a Transformer, but the screen on this machine is actually freaking nice (as is the Xoom's...I was so close to buying a Xoom, but like I said, I'm a cheap bastard...lol). Once the Transformer hits retail in a big way, I think Android Tablet app development will take off. Three machines out there will equate to quite a few users, giving developers reason enough to do the work. I just hope that the Acer will get an Ice Cream Sandwich too (another reasn for choosing Xoom).
Old May 24, 2011, 12:38 AM   #5
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete stranger

I was looking to getting an asus transformer, till work gave me a free 3g xoom. I also own an ipad 2 which was a gift from a friend. My impressions are the following.

Ipad 2 from my experience feels better to carry around and has better games. Ever since I got the xoom my ipad 2 just sits at home so I can play some games on it while waiting for dinner or something. IOS is just too damn annoying for me and I can't stand having to use Itunes. My xoom, I like it alot, I love having nice sized widgets and so forth. Only thing is the market is a bit disappointing. However, with the Xoom getting the 4g upgrade soon and with the android market improving over time, wont be long till my ipad2 is up for sale. Actually I better sell it before steve jobs craps out another one.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 06:00 AM   #6
jtpeace
hear in the quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
I was looking to getting an asus transformer, till work gave me a free 3g xoom. I also own an ipad 2 which was a gift from a friend. My impressions are the following.

Ipad 2 from my experience feels better to carry around and has better games. Ever since I got the xoom my ipad 2 just sits at home so I can play some games on it while waiting for dinner or something. IOS is just too damn annoying for me and I can't stand having to use Itunes. My xoom, I like it alot, I love having nice sized widgets and so forth. Only thing is the market is a bit disappointing. However, with the Xoom getting the 4g upgrade soon and with the android market improving over time, wont be long till my ipad2 is up for sale. Actually I better sell it before steve jobs craps out another one.
I agree with pretty much everything you have said, especially about the current state of the Android Market. But, as you say, it'll improve over time.

After a couple of days with the Iconia, I have to say that I kind os regret getting it. I should have paid the extra $100 for the Xoom. I'm getting a lot of force closes. The experience just seems like the tab was released too early. I just might return it in exchange for a Xoom. How is the stability of the Xoom, particularly the browser?
Old May 24, 2011, 07:15 AM   #7
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpeace View Post
I agree with pretty much everything you have said, especially about the current state of the Android Market. But, as you say, it'll improve over time.

After a couple of days with the Iconia, I have to say that I kind os regret getting it. I should have paid the extra $100 for the Xoom. I'm getting a lot of force closes. The experience just seems like the tab was released too early. I just might return it in exchange for a Xoom. How is the stability of the Xoom, particularly the browser?
I haven't had one force close on the xoom yet. I use the stock browser and its perfect. No checker boarding (firefox does for me) and it's never crashed.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 08:51 AM   #8
Mahjik
Rage3D Veteran

Mahjik once held a door open for a complete strangerMahjik once held a door open for a complete strangerMahjik once held a door open for a complete stranger

I did have a lot of force closes with the stock browser on my Wi-Fi Xoom originally. I switched over to Dolphin, but I may give the stock browser a shot now with 3.1. However, I've gotten used to the ease of the Dolphin browser with it's side panel bookmarks and gestures.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 11:28 AM   #9
Elysian
No sir, I don't like it.

Elysian knows why the caged bird singsElysian knows why the caged bird singsElysian knows why the caged bird singsElysian knows why the caged bird singsElysian knows why the caged bird singsElysian knows why the caged bird sings

3.1 made it a LOT more stable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamHere View Post
Come to my neighborhood and take a swing at me. I will kill you and I will walk.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2011, 09:25 AM   #10
jtpeace
hear in the quiet

Well, I was even more wrong than I understood. After spending the last few days with an Acer Iconia, I've come to understand what others were saying. Honeycomb 3.0 wasn't ready. There are things about the Iconia that I love, but in the end it's a crash machine. I'm guessing that the update to Honeycomb 3.1 will fix the issues, but there is more to a tab than hardware. The current Android Market is pretty awful (in my opinion). The following pretty well sums up how I feel about the Android Market...

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2011/0...d-market-turd/

The Iconia is going back, and I'm keeping my iPad 2.