Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » CATALYST Drivers
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CATALYST Drivers Discussion and Technical support forum for AMD's Catalyst Drivers. Please put Linux-specific driver posts and Remote Wonder discussion in their respective forums.

"

Old Feb 4, 2011, 07:39 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
UrbanTerrorist

UrbanTerrorist is still being judged by the masses

Default Gpu Load at 99% after closing a game since Cat 11.1a

Hi All,

Been having a weird problem.

Ever since I have installed Cat 11.1a, everytime i close a gaming application, my GPU Load (Sapphire 5970) is being reported at a crazy (and worrying) 99% !

I have used GPUz, Open Hardware Monitor and Catalyst Overdrive. They all report the GPU Load at 99% when i am sitting at my desktop screen. No Gaming or other blameworthy applications are running (checked in Task Manager).

What is going on? Anybody else having some weird stuff since Cat 11.1a?

UT
UrbanTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2011, 07:29 AM   #2
kakarot
Rage3D Veteran

kakarot is still being judged by the masses

I've never had this issue but I have heard others have fixed by not installing avivo, amd transcoder, and the VC-1 playback options when installing the drivers. Try that and see if it helps
kakarot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 02:39 AM   #3
UrbanTerrorist

UrbanTerrorist is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakarot View Post
I've never had this issue but I have heard others have fixed by not installing avivo, amd transcoder, and the VC-1 playback options when installing the drivers. Try that and see if it helps

Thanks, that did the trick. I also didn't install the HDMI stuff.
UrbanTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 6, 2011, 01:19 PM   #4
kakarot
Rage3D Veteran

np, glad it helped. In the meantime its a good idea to let amd know of this so they can fix it up for ya
Catalyst Feedback
Old Feb 6, 2011, 04:06 PM   #5
Heinz68
Radeon HD 6670

Heinz68 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanTerrorist View Post
Hi All,

Been having a weird problem.

Ever since I have installed Cat 11.1a, everytime i close a gaming application, my GPU Load (Sapphire 5970) is being reported at a crazy (and worrying) 99% !

I have used GPUz, Open Hardware Monitor and Catalyst Overdrive. They all report the GPU Load at 99% when i am sitting at my desktop screen. No Gaming or other blameworthy applications are running (checked in Task Manager).

What is going on? Anybody else having some weird stuff since Cat 11.1a?

UT
Same problem with my HD 5970 no OC, CCC at default settings. Same problem with 10.12 and 11.1 drivers. No problem with 10.10e. Quite few people have the same problem, Google 'GPU Load 100% 99% idle' or
"11.1" 100% GPU.

To me it mainly happens when surfing the net, sometime it takes an hour or longer. First the GPU-Z starts showing 100% use on one GPU and if I surf longer even the second GPU goes to 100%, almost like the usage is accumulated.

The 100% use and 3D clocks are stuck even after closing the browser, the only way to reset is to reboot.

When stuck at 100% use the GPU temps are at least 10C higher, so it's not like a real 100% use, but since it stay on for long period of times it can't be much good for the card.

Quote:
Thanks I will try it. I can duplicate the problem fast by loading few webcam chat-rooms, otherwise it takes much longer before is shows. Probably the problem is something about GPU acceleration and Flash player plug in, at least in my case.
Heinz68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 04:08 PM   #6
caveman-jim
Retired

caveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz68 View Post
I can duplicate the problem fast by loading few webcam chat-rooms,
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 04:17 PM   #7
Heinz68
Radeon HD 6670

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Not sure what are you trying to say, but it's not much helpful.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 04:37 PM   #8
caveman-jim
Retired

caveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwards

Update your flash player and make sure you have the latest patches for your browser. Test using known good video from youtube, like an official channel for a movie or artist.

If you persist in having problems, follow the driver clean up and reinstallation steps listed here. If you have multiple codec and media players installed, create a system restore point and then remove them all, before cleaning and reinstalling drivers and retesting.

Because of the wide variety of formats and code used in web pages and streaming video, you can have multiple issues causing problems. Webcam girl sites often have additional 'codecs' they require you to install that aren't really anything more than old versions of flash with malware/spyware included.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 03:55 PM   #9
Heinz68
Radeon HD 6670

Quote:
Thanks but it did not work.
After 11.1a express uninstall I did custom 11.1a install without Avivo and WMV9/VC-1 Video Playback, did not find the AMD transcoder as an option not to install, probably it's part of Avivo.

After the new install I have the same problem, 'GPU Load 100% idle'. As I already said it mainly happens after net browsing. I should have also mentioned that I use the Firefox 4.10b which supports GPU acceleration and the obvious answer would be get rid-off of the beta browser. I advised couple people to do that just to find out they did not even use the beta browser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Update your flash player and make sure you have the latest patches for your browser. Test using known good video from youtube, like an official channel for a movie or artist.

If you persist in having problems, follow the driver clean up and reinstallation steps listed here. If you have multiple codec and media players installed, create a system restore point and then remove them all, before cleaning and reinstalling drivers and retesting.

Because of the wide variety of formats and code used in web pages and streaming video, you can have multiple issues causing problems. Webcam girl sites often have additional 'codecs' they require you to install that aren't really anything more than old versions of flash with malware/spyware included.
Thanks for the reply.
Flash player always updated, same goes for the browser, except that it's beta as I explain above.

Did not try the driver clean up as recommended but always use CC registry cleaner after any software uninstall. Anyway I don't think the installation is the problem, when I install the 10.10e driver there is no more problem.
Only use K-lite codec pack with Media Player Classic.

I only mention the webcam because it takes only few minutes for the problem to show up. Browsing other sites usually takes much longer for the 100% load to show up. Beside I only visit reputable girls plus would never download any software from any site if required to use.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 04:09 PM   #10
kakarot
Rage3D Veteran

That is weird but it probably is either the browser or something from k-lite codec pack causing the issue. You should also be getting an "AMD Drag and Drop Transcoding" option when installing the drivers; this is the one I meant.
But I've never trusted any of the codec packs and only install matroska splitter and ac3filter along with mpc-hc. I've never run into anything I can't play back or any extreme gpu load like yours
Old Feb 7, 2011, 08:46 PM   #11
Heinz68
Radeon HD 6670

Quote:
That is weird but it probably is either the browser or something from k-lite codec pack causing the issue. You should also be getting an "AMD Drag and Drop Transcoding" option when installing the drivers; this is the one I meant.
But I've never trusted any of the codec packs and only install matroska splitter and ac3filter along with mpc-hc. I've never run into anything I can't play back or any extreme gpu load like yours
It's not K-Lite codec pack, I'm using it for couple years without problems. Anyway I uninstalled the K-Lite codec pack and clean the registry, just to be 100% sure and the problem is still there.

I know in my case it's mainly the Firefox 4.10b which supports the GPU acceleration. But as I said many others have the problem without using the same browser. Google something like this 'GPU Load 100% 99% idle' or "11.1" 100% GPU' and you will find many threads about it.

I had the same problem with 10.12, 11.1 and now 11.1a drivers. I did not use the 10.11 so the last driver I used before the problem was 10.10e. Every time I reinstall the 10.10e the problem is fixed.

Edit
Did try one more 11.1a custom install as you suggested no Avivo , WMV9/VC-1 Video Playback and AMD Drag and Drop Transcoding. For a moment it looked like it was fixed, than I open one YouTube video and the problem was back.

Something wrong with the sensors, sometime it takes little longer for the GPU-Z to show the full load. On the attached screenshot picture the GPU-Z shows GPU Load -% plus 3D clocks the second GPU Load was 0% plus 2d clocks. The CCC is full load 99% 3D clocks.
The picture was taken after the browser was closed , the GPU load and 3D clocks are stuck. Only reboot resets it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by Heinz68 : Feb 7, 2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 11:55 PM   #12
Final8ty
Radeon HD 6970

Final8ty is still being judged by the masses

The problem is the drivers period as it also has the wrong Overdrive clock slider scale also.

I have had up to 3 GPUs of my quad stuck at 100% overtime if i don't reboot.
Final8ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 12:56 AM   #13
void4ever
Radeon HD 7970

void4ever is still being judged by the masses

I just realized i have this 100% usage issue as well. I wonder how long my GPU has been sitting like this. I haven't played a game in a few days.

I'll try a reinstall without the items mentioned in this thread in the morning. Mean while off to my fav link, the cat feedback tool! :P

Void4ever

Secondary Machine:
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Core i7-920 @ 2.8ghz | 12 gig Triple Channel Gskill 1333mhz 7-7-7-18 | MSI 6970 | X-plosion 7.1 | Westinghouse LCM22w3+Westinghouse VM-42F140S | Corsair CMPSU-850TX | Win7 SP1 x64

HTPC Machine:
Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 | Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.4ghz | 8 gig Dual Channel Gskill 1066mhz 5-5-5-15 | Sapphire 5770 | X-Mystique 7.1 Gold | Westinghouse VM-42F140S | CoolergiantVHB 480W | Win7 SP1 x64
void4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 02:03 AM   #14
Sharkfood
Rage3D Veteran

Sharkfood is still being judged by the masses

Tried these drivers myself, played a game and left for a while.

Came back and my closed back room/pc room was 84 degrees F! GPU is at full speed/100% and pumping out a lot of hot air!

Glad to know next winter I wont need to use much heat- just must play more games. :-)

Reverted back to the 10.11's and all is well once more.

Don't spread my wealth, spread my work ethic.
3/21/2010 - R.I.P. Freedom, Democracy, America
Sharkfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 12:55 AM   #15
void4ever
Radeon HD 7970

So i wanted to try and nail down exactly what was causing this before i did a reinstall but i haven't been able to re-produce it yet.

I played some MNC tonight (45 min or so), then loaded random youtube vids and i'm still sitting at 0% usage hours later.

It seems on my system it's hit or miss, or perhaps the unreal engine doesn't trigger the issue. I'll have to load some other games and see what happens. ATM though i haven't really been playing anything other than MNC, LoL, and the PA game "On The Rain-Slick" so on and so forth. Haven't loaded LoL or Rain-Slick since the reboot though.

Void4ever

Secondary Machine:
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Core i7-920 @ 2.8ghz | 12 gig Triple Channel Gskill 1333mhz 7-7-7-18 | MSI 6970 | X-plosion 7.1 | Westinghouse LCM22w3+Westinghouse VM-42F140S | Corsair CMPSU-850TX | Win7 SP1 x64

HTPC Machine:
Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 | Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.4ghz | 8 gig Dual Channel Gskill 1066mhz 5-5-5-15 | Sapphire 5770 | X-Mystique 7.1 Gold | Westinghouse VM-42F140S | CoolergiantVHB 480W | Win7 SP1 x64
Old Feb 9, 2011, 01:09 AM   #16
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach can recite pi backwardsSasquach can recite pi backwardsSasquach can recite pi backwardsSasquach can recite pi backwardsSasquach can recite pi backwardsSasquach can recite pi backwardsSasquach can recite pi backwards

When its at 100% usage are the clocks at full speed?

Sometimes when i exit a game i can hear the fan spin up and down every so often (and the overdrive tab's fan speed gauge is broken...stays at 0%...dunno when this started happening)
But when im on the desktop my clocks drop down to 157/300, youtube videos increase it to 300/400.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Samsung Syncmaster 205BW (21" widescreen) on ATI Radeon HD 5870 (Catalyst 11.1a)
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Logitech Z-5300 THX 5.1 surround and Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
---AMD Dragon+ Platform---
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 06:48 AM   #17
Greasy
Rage3D Spammer

Greasy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGreasy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGreasy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGreasy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGreasy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGreasy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGreasy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGreasy doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Just realized my 5870 is doing this as well. At first I thought it might be related to my VM I use for work being on, but now I think it's related to FireFox.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:05 AM   #18
void4ever
Radeon HD 7970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
When its at 100% usage are the clocks at full speed?

Sometimes when i exit a game i can hear the fan spin up and down every so often (and the overdrive tab's fan speed gauge is broken...stays at 0%...dunno when this started happening)
But when im on the desktop my clocks drop down to 157/300, youtube videos increase it to 300/400.
Honestly i didn't pay attention to the clocks, but i wanna say they were at idle speeds when it was at 99% usage.

I played some Global Agenda before i went to bed last night and loaded another youtube vid, but this morning still 0%. I'm not sure what triggers it.

I notice my 4850 @ work doesn't have this issue at all. Possibly only affects the 5000 series?

Void4ever

Secondary Machine:

HTPC Machine:
Old Feb 9, 2011, 01:30 PM   #19
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach can recite pi backwardsSasquach can recite pi backwardsSasquach can recite pi backwardsSasquach can recite pi backwardsSasquach can recite pi backwardsSasquach can recite pi backwardsSasquach can recite pi backwards

well my computer will still go into sleep mode so i dunno if the load problem would actually affect that (keeping it froms sleeping). i should download a load meter thing to see if m actually getting this.....
Samsung Syncmaster 205BW (21" widescreen) on ATI Radeon HD 5870 (Catalyst 11.1a)
Logitech Z-5300 THX 5.1 surround and Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Old Feb 9, 2011, 05:16 PM   #20
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

ok so im an idiot and was looking at the wrong needle in overdrive tab for the fan/activity.

my activity goes to 0 after gaming....so i dont get the bug (tried a youtube video and it jump around to 9).
Fan doesnt seem to follow the needle though....and my manual fan control setting is broken (i can change it to whatever and it does nothing).
Old Feb 9, 2011, 06:03 PM   #21
void4ever
Radeon HD 7970

your hitting apply after sliding it to the % u want right? It doesn't adjust it on the fly.

Secondary Machine:

HTPC Machine:
Old Feb 9, 2011, 06:22 PM   #22
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by void4ever View Post
your hitting apply after sliding it to the % u want right? It doesn't adjust it on the fly.
yah i did.
I can move it to whatever, hit apply and it does nothing.

Before i can move it, hit apply and hear the fan spin up or down but now it just doesnt do anything.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 01:27 AM   #23
void4ever
Radeon HD 7970

Well i have yet to be able to re-produce the issue. I don't believe it was a fluke though i just haven't found the right trigger yet. I'm one of those guys that reboots once a month (because of new drivers), or 6 months if i don't like the release notes :-P

So since installing 11.1a thats about 2-3 weeks of programs to run through.

Void4ever

Secondary Machine:

HTPC Machine:
Old Feb 10, 2011, 04:43 PM   #24
fraq

fraq is still being judged by the masses

11.2: the only remaining hope to solve this bug...please AMD....
fraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 05:50 PM   #25
Pestul
Rage3D Veteran

Pestul is still being judged by the masses

I really wonder for some if it's related to these gpu accelerated web browsers. Obviously it would be something in the driver code that doesn't jive, but it might be worth looking into.
[Antec 902 Case w/Antec Truepower 750] [ASUS P6T SE] [i7 920 D0 @4.2GHz (1.28v 200x21)] [Thermalrite Ultra 120 Extreme] [12GB G.Skill DDR3 @1691 9-9-9-24-1T] [2x Sapphire Radeon 5850s 875/1125] [180GB Intel 330 SSD, 640GB WD Black, 500GB Seagate] [Pioneer DVR-116DBK][27" iMac IPS 1440p]
Pestul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 06:05 PM   #26
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestul View Post
I really wonder for some if it's related to these gpu accelerated web browsers. Obviously it would be something in the driver code that doesn't jive, but it might be worth looking into.
How many of them started using GPU acceleration, all i know is ie9 but thats not out yet.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 07:10 AM   #27
fraq

well, people with this bug in other forums, me included, have this problem when closing firefox....and others after closing a game......so.....
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:39 AM   #28
Heinz68
Radeon HD 6670

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
How many of them started using GPU acceleration, all i know is ie9 but thats not out yet.
IE9 beta was released about 5 months ago, now has RC status and 25 millions download.

Firefox 4 Beta 5 released September 2010, now with the latest version 4.11b have all GPU acceleration.

Google Confirms Chrome 7 GPU Acceleration (August 2010), same goes for Chrome 8 but the acceleration had to be enabled. Chrome 9 beta has the GPU acceleration enabled.

The GPU acceleration is great when it works properly, I guess it might take some time before some of the problem are going to be solved. Good article about some of the problems here.

Internet Explorer Test Drive is good site to test the GPU Acceleration. For example I run the 'FishIE Tank' test with Firefox 4.11b (1000 fish) close to 60 FPS, the non beta Firefox 3.6.13 can hardly run the test with 20 fish at about 30 FPS avg but sometime stutering at much less.
Intel X25-M 160GB 34nm G2 SSD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 32mb
Corsair HX1000W PSU - Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R
Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
Sennheiser RS 180 - Cooler Master Cosmos S Case

Last edited by Heinz68 : Feb 13, 2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 02:22 PM   #29
fraq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz68 View Post
Internet Explorer Test Drive is good site to test the GPU Acceleration. For example I run the 'FishIE Tank' test with Firefox 4.11b (1000 fish) close to 60 FPS, the non beta Firefox 3.6.13 can hardly run the test with 20 fish at about 30 FPS avg but sometime stutering at much less.
Damn, IE9 is way more faster than firefox.....are these tests made to slow down on firefox?
Old Feb 14, 2011, 07:12 PM   #30
Heinz68
Radeon HD 6670

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraq View Post
Damn, IE9 is way more faster than firefox.....are these tests made to slow down on firefox?
Which Firefox are you using and what test did you compare?
Can you or anybody else who has IE9 try to run a video at http://us.battle.net/wow/en/media/videos/
Thanks
Intel X25-M 160GB 34nm G2 SSD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 32mb
Corsair HX1000W PSU - Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R
Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
Sennheiser RS 180 - Cooler Master Cosmos S Case