Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

"

Old Jan 13, 2011, 01:35 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
acidosmosis
Mispacio Rodriguez

acidosmosis is still being judged by the masses

Default PC Steering Wheels & iRacing

I'm wanting to get a PC steering wheel at some point. Right now I can't afford it, but I've been researching. The G27 is really expensive, but when I do have the income to shell out for something like that, I want to know what I'm getting.

Any personal experience with PC steering wheels? I'm concerned about build quality and "feel". I don't want it breaking on me in three months. I've never really been into racing simulators, but after playing F1 2010 (with a keyboard FFS) I've been REALLY wanting a good steering wheel. I stumbled on iRacing and I'm really wanting to start playing that when I can.

I just can't decide on a steering wheel. Everything but the G27 just appears to be crap.

Who here plays iRacing? Can you share some thoughts on your experience?
acidosmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 04:52 AM   #2
JulianLyle
Rage3D Veteran

JulianLyle is still being judged by the masses

I bought a Driving Force GT, it has a pretty good price/quality ratio. Check it out. It's perfect for gt5, also tried gtr 2, and iracing.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 05:42 AM   #3
mrking
Radeon HD 6870

mrking is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs up

Hi there

I've not tried a G27 but I have had a G25 for a year or so now after going through a few 50$/50Ł wheels in the past.

The G25 was definitely a good investment for me - works great with PS3/PC and I've not had the urge to upgrade it for any reason.

What really helped me was buying a really cheap time computer stand and butchering it to mount the wheel on but that of course depends on your setup. I have a large TV that a PC and PS3 are connected to so driving in front of that with a good wheel is really fun.

cheers
2007 was... X2 4600, some NF4 mb, 8800GTS, 2 Gb DDR2, XP 64bit
2010.... phenom 965, ati 5850, 4 Gb DDR2, w7pro, 64bit
visit www.horizonviewwestwardho.com ! thanks.
mrking is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 13, 2011, 06:07 AM   #4
Sherv
Radeon HD 6970

Sherv is still being judged by the masses

I've got the G27 & play GTR, F1 2010 & Dirt2 & all are unreal. The build quality of the G25/G27 is outstanding!
ASUS P8Z68-V
AMD Radeon Powercolor R290x
Intel 520 120GB SSD - WD Raptor X 150GB
Sherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 07:16 AM   #5
{0}Salamander{0}
Radeon Man Returneth

{0}Salamander{0} is still being judged by the masses

I still use a "Playstation 2" Logitech Driving Force Pro.

Great wheel.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 09:05 AM   #6
night
Rage3D Veteran

night is still being judged by the masses

find an old red momo. Great wheel that you should be able to find cheap now. Bit noisy though. Gear noise is the only thing the G27 had going for it over the 25.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 09:09 AM   #7
Mahjik
Rage3D Veteran

Mahjik once held a door open for a complete strangerMahjik once held a door open for a complete strangerMahjik once held a door open for a complete strangerMahjik once held a door open for a complete stranger

Some wheel comparisons there (about the last 1/3 of the show).

Logitech makes good wheels. Where they typically skimp is on the pedals. However, better pedals would probably mean higher costs. Having said that, I've been using a G25 for a few years and really do like it. I've tried the cheaper ones and IMO, the extra expense for the G25 was worth it. I didn't upgrade to the G27 when it came out, mainly because I have two (yes two) G25's and didn't want to buy two G27's (one is a backup just in case something breaks).

I have been thinking of switching over to the Fanatec Clubsport pedals:

http://www.fanatec.de/webshop/new_eu...products_id=68

There are also several "pedal mods" for the G25/G27 as well to help give a more realistic feel. All in all, I really do like the Logitech products.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:41 PM   #8
acidosmosis
Mispacio Rodriguez

I wish there was a way I could try a few different ones out. $300 is a lot of money. I can't seem to find a "good" place to buy a G27. I see prices anywhere from about $290 to $350.

Anyone used a Thrustmaster Rally GT Force Feedback Pro Clutch Edition? They got for about $108.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 02:02 PM   #9
Mahjik
Rage3D Veteran

Mahjik once held a door open for a complete strangerMahjik once held a door open for a complete strangerMahjik once held a door open for a complete strangerMahjik once held a door open for a complete stranger

If you really intend on paying for iRacing (which is not cheap itself), purchase a good wheel/pedal setup. For iRacing, a G25/G27 will be worth the extra money.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 05:51 PM   #10
nomore
Rage3D Spammer

nomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post

Some wheel comparisons there (about the last 1/3 of the show).
there is no wheel comparison.
boobies was the only thing I saw from the very beginning till the very end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H001iGAN View Post
no matter how you look at it, it's still better on PC
nomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 07:00 PM   #11
shoman24v
Rage3D Veteran

shoman24v is still being judged by the masses

shes got some big ole tities
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 08:28 PM   #12
acidosmosis
Mispacio Rodriguez

So since we're on the subject of boobies...

I'm not really into muscular women or anything... but DAMN. Everything is perfect about this woman.

Old Jan 13, 2011, 08:36 PM   #13
Mahjik
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore View Post
there is no wheel comparison.
Yea, I forgot they broke it up into two segments.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 06:23 PM   #14
acidosmosis
Mispacio Rodriguez

I guess I'll just wait until I have $299 that I can blow. Without being able to try out the lower priced wheels, I'm afraid of spending $150 on a piece of junk.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:11 PM   #15
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once held a door open for a complete strangerRistogod once held a door open for a complete strangerRistogod once held a door open for a complete strangerRistogod once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidosmosis View Post
I guess I'll just wait until I have $299 that I can blow. Without being able to try out the lower priced wheels, I'm afraid of spending $150 on a piece of junk.
I would. It makes all the difference. Look for sales and rebates to help offset the cost.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 01:56 AM   #16
sandorski
Rage3D Veteran

sandorski is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post

Yea, I forgot they broke it up into two segments.
I want to do things to that Chick.
sandorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 01:57 PM   #17
Guybo
Anonymous Proletariat

Guybo is still being judged by the masses

Thrustmaster wheels tend to be cheap- in price and build quality. You are better off getting a wheel with no clutch and more rotation- a DFP is just the wheel you need.

A G27 (I have a G25 and it's 4 or 5 years old) will last you longer. It'll be a better wheel to use (ffb, build quality, feel of the wheel etc). It'll have a clutch. It has the h-pattern shifter. The pedals feel much better. It is in ev ery way superior to a DFP, but if you have to skimp on price, don't be lured into a thrustmaster wheel- stick with a $100US DFP from Logitech.

With the price of iRacing and buying a DFP- within a year, if you straight out BUY rFactor and a G27 you will come out the same money-wise. IMHO I'd rather get the better equipment and pay for rF and the THOUSANDS of free mods than get a cheap wheel and be forever paying iRacing for a limited amount of mods.
Guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:12 PM   #18
acidosmosis
Mispacio Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybo View Post
Thrustmaster wheels tend to be cheap- in price and build quality. You are better off getting a wheel with no clutch and more rotation- a DFP is just the wheel you need.

A G27 (I have a G25 and it's 4 or 5 years old) will last you longer. It'll be a better wheel to use (ffb, build quality, feel of the wheel etc). It'll have a clutch. It has the h-pattern shifter. The pedals feel much better. It is in ev ery way superior to a DFP, but if you have to skimp on price, don't be lured into a thrustmaster wheel- stick with a $100US DFP from Logitech.

With the price of iRacing and buying a DFP- within a year, if you straight out BUY rFactor and a G27 you will come out the same money-wise. IMHO I'd rather get the better equipment and pay for rF and the THOUSANDS of free mods than get a cheap wheel and be forever paying iRacing for a limited amount of mods.
rFactor has nothing on iRacing when it comes to the online options though. That's one thing so appealing about it. Realism may be similar, possibly more so in rFactor.

I don't mind paying $12/month. Once I find work. I thought I had this IT job, but not sure now. Wanted something to do after work.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 08:29 PM   #19
Nunz
Blueshirt

Nunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Realism is iRacing's biggest thing. There is NOTHING more accurate then iRacing when it comes down to physics and car handling, and track replication.

iRacing is the king of racing sims, and I love it.

Getting in my Williams, with my G27 right now, with 3D Vision and Track IR. Absolute Immersion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by curio on GTA V View Post
I start feeling like crap after a while - and not just from sitting all day playing video games and not taking care of myself; but this **** always makes me real cynical. I start hating people, hating America, hating life in general. I swear this game slowly starts making me a sociopath.
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 01:45 PM   #20
acidosmosis
Mispacio Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Realism is iRacing's biggest thing. There is NOTHING more accurate then iRacing when it comes down to physics and car handling, and track replication.

iRacing is the king of racing sims, and I love it.

Getting in my Williams, with my G27 right now, with 3D Vision and Track IR. Absolute Immersion.
I hate you.