Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

"

Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:04 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
KAC
Pussy face to my axe

KAC exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselKAC exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselKAC exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselKAC exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselKAC exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselKAC exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselKAC exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselKAC exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselKAC exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselKAC exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselKAC exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Default Steam games often require verifying game cache?

So my steam games often require me to verify game cache and they found errors like file not found etc etc. What can be the reason for this? Is it because I am using the same steam install on different windows (using both Win XP and Win 7). Also, I never play the game from a different windows. Each game is dedicated to a play in that particular windows.

However, I often can't start up my games and have to do a verify integrity cache that downloads files as much as 3 GB at a time. Wtf is up?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:06 AM   #2
acroig
Master Troll

acroig once jumped the English Channelacroig once jumped the English Channelacroig once jumped the English Channelacroig once jumped the English Channelacroig once jumped the English Channelacroig once jumped the English Channelacroig once jumped the English Channelacroig once jumped the English Channelacroig once jumped the English Channelacroig once jumped the English Channelacroig once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
However, I often can't start up my games and have to do a verify integrity cache that downloads files as much as 3 GB at a time. Wtf is up?
Sounds like your game files are being corrupted. Do you have STEAM cloud turned on?

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:17 AM   #3
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar knows why the caged bird singsGanjaStar knows why the caged bird singsGanjaStar knows why the caged bird singsGanjaStar knows why the caged bird singsGanjaStar knows why the caged bird singsGanjaStar knows why the caged bird sings

i ocasionally get small files corrupt and verify cahce is needed. usually after some game gets an update, but never 3gb of content lol.

strange.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:18 AM   #4
KAC
Pussy face to my axe

KAC exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselKAC exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselKAC exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselKAC exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselKAC exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselKAC exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselKAC exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselKAC exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselKAC exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselKAC exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselKAC exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Sounds like your game files are being corrupted. Do you have STEAM cloud turned on?
How do I check if it is on?
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:33 AM   #5
caveman-jim
Retired

caveman-jim knows why the caged bird singscaveman-jim knows why the caged bird singscaveman-jim knows why the caged bird singscaveman-jim knows why the caged bird singscaveman-jim knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
So my steam games often require me to verify game cache and they found errors like file not found etc etc. What can be the reason for this? Is it because I am using the same steam install on different windows (using both Win XP and Win 7). Also, I never play the game from a different windows. Each game is dedicated to a play in that particular windows.

Do you have separate install directories for steam for both installs of Windows or are you using the same directory for both? If you are using both Windows installs pointing to the same STEAM directory, despite having dedicated games for each install, it'll cause problems.

To resolve the problem I would do the following:
stop the steam client.
copy the steam install folder to a new location, called steamorig.
uninstall steam from both OS
reinstall steam in both OS, to different folders (e.g. call one STEAMXP and the other STEAM7, for example)
exit the steam client
copy the games for each install from /common to the new folders, including the .gcf files. In the top level of the steam install folder, rename the clientregistry.blob file to clientregistry.old.
restart steam and let it verify games. it'll look like its downloading the games but it's not. (do this for both windows installs and steam installs)
run a verify cache to be sure it's all good, and you should be good to go.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:35 AM   #6
KAC
Pussy face to my axe

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Do you have separate install directories for steam for both installs of Windows or are you using the same directory for both? If you are using both Windows installs pointing to the same STEAM directory, despite having dedicated games for each install, it'll cause problems.

To resolve the problem I would do the following:
stop the steam client.
copy the steam install folder to a new location, called steamorig.
uninstall steam from both OS
reinstall steam in both OS, to different folders (e.g. call one STEAMXP and the other STEAM7, for example)
exit the steam client
copy the games for each install from /common to the new folders, including the .gcf files. In the top level of the steam install folder, rename the clientregistry.blob file to clientregistry.old.
restart steam and let it verify games. it'll look like its downloading the games but it's not. (do this for both windows installs and steam installs)
run a verify cache to be sure it's all good, and you should be good to go.
Hmm, I actually want to keep one install of steam because I download games on Win XP and play it on Win 7. Reason is that my wife still uses Win XP and computer is booted to that windows far longer than it is booted to Win 7.

However, I can see how this can work with your suggestion also with different steam installs.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:48 AM   #7
caveman-jim
Retired

caveman-jim knows why the caged bird singscaveman-jim knows why the caged bird singscaveman-jim knows why the caged bird singscaveman-jim knows why the caged bird singscaveman-jim knows why the caged bird sings

sure download on one, then move it over to the other. should only need one verify to get going after that.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 09:52 PM   #8
theshadowcult
Rage3D Veteran

theshadowcult can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultytheshadowcult can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

The verify cache is bugged, it often thinks files are corrupted and need redownloading when they are not, they have simply been modified by either valve or a developer, usually due to a patch, and steam has not updated whatever it is they use to keep track of which files should be in each directory. Do NOT use verify cache except as a last resort. Even valve say to use it as a last resort.

If your game has stuffed up due to steam, you are better off uninstalling and reinstalling it. Other wise, it is probably just normal "game won't start" problems and you should look it up at the respective games forums.

Oh and because it's related, but probably not related directly to your problem, discovered something interesting about steam, it appears that when you first install it, it reserves (though the ram can still be used by other programs) a set of ram for it's use and it will ONLY use that bit of ram. So if you have, like me, have some corrupted but still usable ram (it's only the tiniest bit damaged, almost never causes problems), and steam just happens to use that bit of ram, then it will continue to use the damaged part of the ram over and over when you install and play steam games, this usually caused blue screens when it was happening to me.... Only fix is to reinstall steam and it will grab another slice of ram.

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Left for Dead.

Last edited by theshadowcult : Jan 4, 2011 at 09:59 PM.
theshadowcult is offline   Reply With Quote