Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Off-Topic Forums » Home Theaters and Photography
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Home Theaters and Photography Discussion forum for Home Theater enthusiasts and newbies. Also the place to discuss and post your photography ventures and queries.

"

Old Dec 25, 2010, 08:19 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty@md_Guy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty@md_Guy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default Soundbars ?

Long story short, the inlaws TV's paltry 10W speakers weren't cutting the mustard and they needed something with a bit more umph without going to a full home theater system and they really didn't want to deal with having to run wires (either behind the walls/molding/carpeting etc) so I finally decided on a soundbar as a Xmas gift.

Got them a Vizio Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer for $169.00 from Tiger Direct.
http://www.vizio.com/vsb210ws.html

a gajillion times better than the TV's speakers. I'm no "audiophile" but wow.. the inlaws are like "wow almost like being in the movie theater" and I was impressed by the surround "feel". This was my 1st ever experience with a soundbar and between the easy setup (1 SPIDF cable, 1 Power plug) and the decent sound I think Im sold. Anyone else have any good (or bad) impressions of these things ? I guess they aren't as immersive as a full 7.1 system with satellites and a dedicated receiver etc but for the price I guess I can't argue.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 11:25 AM   #2
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Does the soundbar use any kind of calibration routine? I would have thought that emulating surround would require the system to know something about the room it is in.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 03:37 PM   #3
vitocorleone
Rage3D Veteran

vitocorleone is still being judged by the masses

I've read that soundbars can do a good job of creating a "surround sound" experience - but only within a very narrow range of actual seating space. After that it sounds very directional.

Still an good upgrade from TV speakers.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 25, 2010, 06:44 PM   #4
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty@md_Guy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty@md_Guy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

been listening to music/tv/movies etc today... for the most part a nice (cheap..erish) solution finding some nuances.. such as no AC3 (only PCM) over SPDIF, only 44, 48Hz sampling rates otherwise have to use RCA inputs.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 06:59 PM   #5
lmchv
Planet Express

lmchv is still being judged by the masses

I've been using a Samsung one for some months in the main bedroom (4x3meters), it supports DTS, DD using optical cable connected to my Sony BDP-S350. Got it for free with the purchase of my 46" LED

I already have a full HT system in the living room so I just needed something simple for my bedroom, can't complain.

BEHEMOTH (Desktop):ASUS Maximus V Formula / ThunderFX | Intel Core i7 3770K + Corsair Hydro H100 | Corsair 16GB DDR3-1600 | Dell UltraSharp 2713HM 27" | XFX Radeon R9-290X Black Edition 4GB | Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 + Thermaltake SP-850M | Sound Blaster Z + Logitech Z-5500 + CM Storm Sirus | Logitech G105 + Logitech MX Revolution + Gigabyte Krypton | 2 x Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB RAID0 + 2 x Western Digital Black 1TB RAID0 | Sony BD-ROM + LG DVD-RAM DL | Windows 8.1 Pro 64bits

KRAKEN (Laptop):MSI GT70| Intel Core i7 3630QM | 16GB DDR3-1600 | nVidia Geforce GTX680M 4GB @ 1920x1080 17" | 2 x mSATA 128GB SSD RAID0 + 750GB 7200RPM SATA3 | Logitech G700 + Func F-10R | Bluray burner | Windows 8.1 Pro 64bits
lmchv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2010, 07:56 PM   #6
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

With a quick look the only one I saw where the reviewer said it convincingly reproduced surround sound has a mic assisted auto calibration routing.

For those that are interested it was the Yamaha YSP-900. I don't think it is available anymore but they have replaced it with newer models.

I am sure almost anything would be better than most TV speakers.

Last edited by aviphysics : Dec 25, 2010 at 08:00 PM.
aviphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:22 AM   #7
huskylord
Beware the HR

huskylord once jumped the English Channelhuskylord once jumped the English Channelhuskylord once jumped the English Channelhuskylord once jumped the English Channelhuskylord once jumped the English Channelhuskylord once jumped the English Channelhuskylord once jumped the English Channelhuskylord once jumped the English Channelhuskylord once jumped the English Channelhuskylord once jumped the English Channelhuskylord once jumped the English Channel

I have the Sony HT-500.
I like it, but I'm not a level 30 audiophile
Old Jan 6, 2011, 05:07 AM   #8
Top Secret
Radeon HD 6850

Top Secret is still being judged by the masses

The guys over at HD Nation (Revision 3) said that sound bars are a good alternative for people who can't run a true surround system. Sounds like it was a great gift to me.
Top Secret is offline   Reply With Quote