Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

"

Old Dec 14, 2010, 07:50 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sweetz
Rage3D Veteran

Sweetz can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySweetz can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default Metro 2033 worth $10?

I'm sort of hurting for games to justify my purchase of a GTX 570

FWIW I didn't like STALKER. While I thought the secret labs were awesome - too much about the game's mechanics bugged me. For example, the way bandits respawned every time you enter a zone, by the end of the game you had a kill count that's more befitting of Serious Sam than a such "realistic" (pfft) game. Plus other things, which to some people enhance the "realism" or "immersion", I thought were just pointless complexity for complexity's sake and time-wasters. Like a grid based inventory (inventory Tetris these days, come on, really?), the bandage/medpack system, needing to eat, etc.

I don't necessarily want a "dumbed down" game, but having to apply one type of medical item to stop bleeding, and then a different one to heal is just pedantic (IMHO), not entertaining.

So I know ex-STALKER peeps are on the Metro 2033 dev team and it gets compared to STALKER a lot. Is the same sort of STALKER BS still in there, or did they trim that out and concentrate on making the game flow better?

How's the presentation - quality of the writing and voice acting? How's the plot, will I actually care about advancing the story, or just beating the game?
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 07:56 PM   #2
john2
Rage3D Veteran

john2 is still being judged by the masses

It's more linear than STALKER. Here you don't have an open world to explore. It's a mix between STALKER (the general feeling of the post-apocalyptic world) and COD (the pacing of the game with the QTE and the cut-scenes). Plus it has way better graphics than STALKER and there are some nice stealth missions in the Library (although you can shoot your way out... if you have enough ammo ).

Keep in mind though that it is has high PC requirements and that you must not waste your ammo as you can't find plenty of it!
john2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 08:09 PM   #3
Sweetz
Rage3D Veteran

Sweetz can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySweetz can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

How are the mechanics though? Do you have to do stuff like eat and shuffle your inventory around every 5 minutes?

Is it like STALKER in that respect, or more like, oh say Fallout 3?
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 14, 2010, 08:25 PM   #4
demo
space cadet

demo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Good game

It's kinda like Stalker crossed with Doom3 tight enviroments type thing. Much more cinematic, fluid and consolish than Stalker, kinda like a CoD game sort of, but much more depth like stalker etc. It does have high requirments at higher settings. A 570 should be ok though, just leave advanced dof off (pretty sure everyone does) and maybe AAA instead of MSAA in the options.

Last edited by demo : Dec 14, 2010 at 08:29 PM.
demo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 08:35 PM   #5
SoulFly
Radeon HD 6850

SoulFly is still being judged by the masses

heck its still worth $50 imo. awesome graphics and atmosphere. Dunno why its compared to Stalker cause really the gameplay is a lot different, you don't have to micro manage your inventory and rely on your management of it for survival.
Its like a cool version of Doom 3 minus the twitch gameplay
SoulFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 08:44 PM   #6
john2
Rage3D Veteran

john2 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post
How are the mechanics though? Do you have to do stuff like eat and shuffle your inventory around every 5 minutes?

Is it like STALKER in that respect, or more like, oh say Fallout 3?
No need to eat and shuffle your inventory. You can buy new weapons and armors but there isn't any micro-management with the inventory. Forget the RPG inventories. It's minimal and appears only when you cycle through it to change weapons (much like most FPS's)
john2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 08:46 PM   #7
sittal
Rage3D Spammer

sittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

on the advice of rage3d, i'll buy it.

Learn to embed videos in your posts, highlight text, and even post code!
sittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:09 PM   #8
Sweetz
Rage3D Veteran

Ok cool, sounds like it does away with the pointless mechanical complexity and is a more directed experience than STALKER - that's a good thing in my book.

I'll be picking it up then to justify my DX11 card
Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:18 PM   #9
SteveButabi
Did you just grab my ass?

SteveButabi is still being judged by the masses

If you didn't like the gameplay in stalker, but you like the post-apocalyptic, you against the world type of atmosphere then metro 2033 is the game for you. It pretty much does a 180 from stalker in almost everything (including buggyness)

I really enjoyed the stalkers and I really enjoyed this game too. Totally worth the 10 bucks. Buy it nowwwwwwwwwwwww.
SteveButabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:22 PM   #10
acroig
Master Troll

acroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveButabi View Post
Totally worth the 10 bucks. Buy it nowwwwwwwwwwwww.
Agreed.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:43 PM   #11
bob saget
Kick the baby!

bob saget glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsbob saget glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsbob saget glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsbob saget glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsbob saget glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsbob saget glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsbob saget glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsbob saget glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsbob saget glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsbob saget glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsbob saget glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Yes. Great game. The library level alone is worth the price of admission.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:02 PM   #12
theshadowcult
Rage3D Veteran

theshadowcult once held a door open for a complete strangertheshadowcult once held a door open for a complete strangertheshadowcult once held a door open for a complete strangertheshadowcult once held a door open for a complete stranger

No game play is ever pointless as long as you get something out of it. In the same fashion that ALL gameplay is pointless as well.

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Left for Dead.
theshadowcult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 12:52 AM   #13
Chubz
It's a strange condition.

Chubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird sings

For $10, it's a steal. I mean compare other $10 titles to this one and it's a no-brainer! It looks good, has an awesome setting, and plays well, too.
Chubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 03:18 AM   #14
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Got it too, good deal, and surprisingly great game, once I finally convinced myself that playing it on "normal" details is ok too, and this game cannot do stealth at all, although it kinda encourages you to play it in a stealthy fashion.

Also, 3D is in this game.
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 03:30 AM   #15
KAC
Pussy face to my axe

KAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

It certainly wasn't worth the 25 gold I paid for it...
See the Metro 2033 thread - long one for more info.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 04:19 AM   #16
theshadowcult
Rage3D Veteran

theshadowcult once held a door open for a complete strangertheshadowcult once held a door open for a complete strangertheshadowcult once held a door open for a complete strangertheshadowcult once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ego View Post
Got it too, good deal, and surprisingly great game, once I finally convinced myself that playing it on "normal" details is ok too, and this game cannot do stealth at all, although it kinda encourages you to play it in a stealthy fashion.

Also, 3D is in this game.
I played it with stealth the whole way, only a couple of sections of the game really refuse to allow you to stealth around.

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Left for Dead.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 06:11 AM   #17
CHIPS
The Overmind

CHIPS is still being judged by the masses

Metro 2033 is MUCH MORE straight forward than Stalker. Basically it has the theme of Stalker but that is about it. Metro 2033 is an all out action horror shooter.

I can't stand Stalker for similar reasons you stated. Respawning mobs, need to eat, inventory, etc were super annoying and a waste of time. However I love Metro 2033.

"Sometimes, it is not about whatever you can do something or not. It is about, if you cannot do it, who else can?"
"A difficult task might stop you from getting it done. But it cannot stop you from trying your best."
"Who you hang out with is who you will become" "Do not act on feelings, but act on facts"
"It does not matter how other people sees you. What matters is how you see yourself." "Some pains are sharp, but short. Some pains are dull, but long."
"I killed you ten times with my knife and you killed me 13 times with a gun so I pwned you!" -Crawdaddy79
"Gorgeous white girls everywhere with that "I'M SOOO HOT AND YOU CAN'T HAVE ME" bullsh** attitude" -gts007
"If you wasn't in my way, I wouldn't have shot you" -Kamille Bidan, Zeta Gundam
"It is easy to give up. Anyone can do it. But I choose the hard path." -Beyond
"If women can't compete with video games for our attention its their problem, not ours." -sumpwa
CHIPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 06:55 AM   #18
Ziklitschli
Rage3D Veteran

Location: Poland Where the pure lab reseach data show no life can exist
Ziklitschli is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIPS View Post
I can't stand Stalker for similar reasons you stated. Respawning mobs, need to eat, inventory, etc were super annoying and a waste of time.
I think it would be great to have more of those and even build gameplay on them (like food really hard to find etc) in Stalker, not to mention stats or experience.

Garth Merenghi quotes
Most of you will probably know me already from my extensive canon of chillers including "Afterbirth" in which a mutated placenta attacks Bristol.

Everyone has a special talent. Mine is being able to write, produce direct, act, paint... Other people are good plumbers, that's their gift.

There are rebels and there are innovators. I'm a rebel. I play a rebel brain expert who's in rebelliance against conventional logic, who's in rebelliance against the world order. It's about rebelliance. And if that's not being an innovator, I don't know what is.

In times of conflict, when you're up against an agressor, be he human, be he inhuman, whoe'er he be, often he is both.

Greetings traveller. Who am I? Perhaps you have met me twixt sleep and and wake - in the penumbra of uncertainity you call unconsiousness... you know, my books are essentialy about "what ifs". In "Black Fang" I asked - what if a rat could drive a bus? And what if it and its rat brethren took over and ate Parliment?

A lot of people say "Garth Merenghi? Doesn't he write that horror crap?" Well, you're an idiot, because my books always say something, even if it's simple like "Don't geneticaly engineer crabs to be as big as man". There's always a message or a theme.
Ziklitschli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 07:57 AM   #19
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar can recite pi backwardsGanjaStar can recite pi backwardsGanjaStar can recite pi backwardsGanjaStar can recite pi backwardsGanjaStar can recite pi backwardsGanjaStar can recite pi backwardsGanjaStar can recite pi backwards

metro 2003 is a console version of stalker, stripped of most the "unnecessary" complexity. You will enjoy it more then stalker, but its still a bit different then the western aproach to coridor shooters. not sure if its streamlined enough for ya
Old Dec 15, 2010, 09:47 AM   #20
FuryX
Rage3D Veteran

FuryX can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFuryX can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaStar View Post
metro 2003 is a console version of stalker, stripped of most the "unnecessary" complexity. You will enjoy it more then stalker, but its still a bit different then the western aproach to coridor shooters. not sure if its streamlined enough for ya
Metro is the Half-Life version of STALKER, more than anything. Streamlined, storyline, decent acting and animations... Even the tunnels should remind any PC gamer of Black Mesa post-incident.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 11:51 AM   #21
BababooeyHTJ
Rage3D Veteran

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

The awful hit detection ruined this game for me. I didn't really see any similarities with Stalker to be honest. It's just a typical corridor shooter.

That said it's worth the $10 just to test out your GTX570.
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 12:23 PM   #22
pahncrd
Stranger in a Strange LAN

pahncrd is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Great game, buy it now. Gamers complain constantly about everything, but for $10, you can probably just ignore the critical noise and get yourself one of the better scary games available for current hardware.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 12:35 PM   #23
zebra 204
Rage3D Manches Veteran

zebra 204 is still being judged by the masses

I thought the game was great. For $10 its a steal.

To Play List: Everything else
zebra 204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 12:42 PM   #24
Sweetz
Rage3D Veteran

Yup already picked up, now just have to see if I can get around to playing it in time to get credit for the Steam Treasure Hunt task.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 12:52 PM   #25
pahncrd
Stranger in a Strange LAN

pahncrd is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post
Yup already picked up, now just have to see if I can get around to playing it in time to get credit for the Steam Treasure Hunt task.
Good luck man.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 02:24 PM   #26
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I guess the only real criticism I can honestly bitch about is indeed the hit detection. It makes the game feel clunky. That being said however, it occurred to me this might be intentional; maybe the game is supposed to be clunky. After all, you're wielding some weapons made in a barn made with sticks and glue, while being constantly pushed by supernatural stuff jumping from every corner.
In the context of this game, I think it's great.

Obviously, this reasoning resembles saying that not having save points is good in a hard game, because it increases the tension

And then there's the piss poor AI...

Screw this, it's a good game, and it's 10 dollars. Worth every penny.

edit.
The treasure hunt task can be completed in an hour max, that's about the time needed to advance through the first 2 levels, and kill the required necro...mutated...novis...things.
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 02:26 PM   #27
BababooeyHTJ
Rage3D Veteran

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ego View Post
I guess the only real criticism I can honestly bitch about is indeed the hit detection. It makes the game feel clunky. That being said however, it occurred to me this might be intentional; maybe the game is supposed to be clunky. After all, you're wielding some weapons made in a barn made with sticks and glue, while being constantly pushed by supernatural stuff jumping from every corner.
In the context of this game, I think it's great.

Obviously, this reasoning resembles saying that not having save points is good in a hard game, because it increases the tension

And then there's the piss poor AI...

Screw this, it's a good game, and it's 10 dollars. Worth every penny.
A clip to the face at point blank range should kill anyone. I might agree with you if it were just at a distance.

I do agree that it's well worth the $10 though.
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2010, 02:49 AM   #28
theshadowcult
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuryX View Post
Metro is the Half-Life version of STALKER, more than anything. Streamlined, storyline, decent acting and animations... Even the tunnels should remind any PC gamer of Black Mesa post-incident.
What makes you think of black mesa in this game? I see the Stalker influence but i didn't see anything that made me think of half-life at all.

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Left for Dead.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 04:22 AM   #29
spindoctor
Rage3D Spammer

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadowcult View Post
What makes you think of black mesa in this game? I see the Stalker influence but i didn't see anything that made me think of half-life at all.
the level after the library (i think it was called station D6?) definitely had a black mesa vibe to it.
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2010, 06:51 AM   #30
FuryX
Rage3D Veteran

FuryX can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFuryX can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadowcult View Post
Underground subway tunnels, occasional fighting outdoors/topside, world falling apart around you, mutants crawling from the walls, guys with guns trying to kill you... What doesn't remind you of Half-Life? Even in the gameplay they both share the fact they're fast-paced shooters.

The setting is different in that you're not in a military science lab, but the general vibe of you fighting through underground tunnels on a one-man-army mission... Well, I think I could list similarities all day long. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a decent game that is more like Half-Life than Metro 2033.

The biggest difference between the two games is probably the art style, science labs are apparently much more bright and cheerful than post-nuke Moscow subways.