Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Software
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Software Anything software that is not operating system related goes here. Talk about the latest applications or discuss betas of upcoming products.

Old Nov 17, 2010, 04:01 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
wonder squirrel
Godlike

wonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Opera "Connection closed by remote server" problem

For awhile now Opera has been giving me a "Connection closed by remote server" error when browsing the intrawebs. It will typically let me go to homepages, but when I click a link, like craigslist for example, I can go to the city homepage, and can click on certain links like free stuff, or auto's, but when I click on the individual ads, I get the connection closed BS. IE and FF both work and will open pages without issue. I've tried resetting default security settings and setting up custom security settings, upgrading, redownloading and reinstalling fresh. Any idea on how to fix this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opera

Connection closed by remote server
You tried to access the address http://(whateveraddress).com, which is currently unavailable. Please make sure that the web address (URL) is correctly spelled and punctuated, then try reloading the page.
Make sure your Internet connection is active and check whether other applications that rely on the same connection are working.
Check that the setup of any Internet security software is correct and does not interfere with ordinary web browsing.
If you are behind a firewall on a Local Area Network and think this may be causing problems, talk to your systems administrator.
Try pressing the F12 key on your keyboard and disabling proxy servers, unless you know that you are required to use a proxy to connect to the Internet. Reload the page
Old Nov 17, 2010, 04:16 PM   #2
ZeeM
LOLOLOLOLOLOL

ZeeM is still being judged by the masses

Never had that problem. Did you check your firewall rules for opera? If everything fails try reinstalling opera after deleting all opera related dirs in docs & settings/username/ or users/username. Dont forget to backup bookmarks etc
Some cool info: Tibeten monks, after twenty years or so of practise in the Himalaya, control their brain stem - they can control their heart beat, blood pressure etc. After thirty years they can connect to the internet purely by meditation, setting TCP stacks in their neurons and stuff. Right now I am chatting with a monk who is sitting naked in an ice storm on his towel, his only possesion. He's using ipv6.
ZeeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 04:52 PM   #3
wonder squirrel
Godlike

wonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeM View Post
Never had that problem. Did you check your firewall rules for opera? If everything fails try reinstalling opera after deleting all opera related dirs in docs & settings/username/ or users/username. Dont forget to backup bookmarks etc
I never set any specific rules for Opera, it was always at the default. I hadn't made any changes to security changes, the problem just started up one day

Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:40 PM   #4
Melchior
RG SSAA ftw!

Melchior is still being judged by the masses

This usually isn't an opera problem, there's usually two situations where this occurs often, when some node on the interwebs between you and whatever is acting up/overstressed, or when the cable modem/isp/router is malfunctioning.

When opera seems to be acting up, does internet explorer load the page or give a similar website not responding/cannot load page error? If it is just opera, then I'd suggest making a portable installation and running it from that to see if it continues to be wierd, if the portable install works fine then back up your old bookmarks and contacts and uninstall/reinstall opera.

Google up checking cable modem upstream and downstream signals and see if yours is operating in the correct range. Usually the address is 192.168.100.1 , and you may need to bypass the router and plug in directly just to make sure it loads properly. When my cable modem finally died after 8 years it wouldn't even let me into the settings to check, going to 192.168.100.1 just got me that page not responding stuff over and over.

edit: Just remembered, opera can do the same thing when in combination with some internet security programs, If Avast for example sees a nasty on a website, it'll just stop it from loading and opera will display the page not loading error. IE and FF should do the same thing, so that's probably not what it is. There's also some built in security stuff in opera that I generally disable, but when you do that it should tell you it won't load the page for security reasons, not some generic not loading message.
Lite-On Combo drive /WD Caviar Black 640gb
ATI x1800xl Sapphire 6570, yay ssaa again
M-audio Delta 410 | Magnepan MMGs
Corsair 650TX PSU

Last edited by Melchior : Nov 21, 2010 at 11:44 PM.
Melchior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 02:51 PM   #5
wonder squirrel
Godlike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior View Post
This usually isn't an opera problem, there's usually two situations where this occurs often, when some node on the interwebs between you and whatever is acting up/overstressed, or when the cable modem/isp/router is malfunctioning.

When opera seems to be acting up, does internet explorer load the page or give a similar website not responding/cannot load page error? If it is just opera, then I'd suggest making a portable installation and running it from that to see if it continues to be wierd, if the portable install works fine then back up your old bookmarks and contacts and uninstall/reinstall opera.

Google up checking cable modem upstream and downstream signals and see if yours is operating in the correct range. Usually the address is 192.168.100.1 , and you may need to bypass the router and plug in directly just to make sure it loads properly. When my cable modem finally died after 8 years it wouldn't even let me into the settings to check, going to 192.168.100.1 just got me that page not responding stuff over and over.

edit: Just remembered, opera can do the same thing when in combination with some internet security programs, If Avast for example sees a nasty on a website, it'll just stop it from loading and opera will display the page not loading error. IE and FF should do the same thing, so that's probably not what it is. There's also some built in security stuff in opera that I generally disable, but when you do that it should tell you it won't load the page for security reasons, not some generic not loading message.

Both IE and firefox will open the pages without issue. I dont think its a firewall issue because it just randomly started happening one day with no changes or anything. I also noticed it won't load secure pages when trying to log into certain things, but it will load non-secure login pages (sometimes). I should have mentioned, my laptop will also access the pages with opera no problem.

Maybe a windows install problem. I never got itunes installed and working either.

Old Nov 27, 2010, 04:31 PM   #6
ZeeM
LOLOLOLOLOLOL

ZeeM is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder squirrel View Post
Both IE and firefox will open the pages without issue. I dont think its a firewall issue because it just randomly started happening one day with no changes or anything. I also noticed it won't load secure pages when trying to log into certain things, but it will load non-secure login pages (sometimes). I should have mentioned, my laptop will also access the pages with opera no problem.

Maybe a windows install problem. I never got itunes installed and working either.

Press F12 and see if you somehow enabled proxies. Also disable opera turbo if enabled.
Some cool info: Tibeten monks, after twenty years or so of practise in the Himalaya, control their brain stem - they can control their heart beat, blood pressure etc. After thirty years they can connect to the internet purely by meditation, setting TCP stacks in their neurons and stuff. Right now I am chatting with a monk who is sitting naked in an ice storm on his towel, his only possesion. He's using ipv6.
ZeeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 04:47 PM   #7
wonder squirrel
Godlike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeM View Post
Press F12 and see if you somehow enabled proxies. Also disable opera turbo if enabled.
Yeah I tried those already, no luck. Thanks for ideas though. I think I might reinstall windows and go from there

Old Nov 15, 2011, 06:45 AM   #8
Lucimar

Lucimar is still being judged by the masses

Smile i fixed issue

I had the same problem and I know it's a bit late now for helping u guys, but if someone have same problem now maybe that helps.

On my PC problem was in AVG antivirus.

Go to tools->firewall settings-> finde OPERA apllication and put "allow for all"

Hope that helps.
Lucimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 02:44 AM   #9
seven426

seven426 is still being judged by the masses

Default Still need help, same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucimar View Post
I had the same problem and I know it's a bit late now for helping u guys, but if someone have same problem now maybe that helps.

On my PC problem was in AVG antivirus.

Go to tools->firewall settings-> finde OPERA apllication and put "allow for all"

Hope that helps.

Hey guys, I am having the same problem explained here. I have checked the firewall, Opera is allowed. Firefox and IE are working just fine, so if you've solved this problem let me know how you did it, please. And Lucimar, can you explain just what you mean? I go into my firewall but there is nothing about "allow for all" that I see. I've tried everything, it's starting to stress me out! Thanks guys!
seven426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:52 AM   #10
Rad2owns
Rage3D Vet

Rad2owns is still being judged by the masses

Opera is the one IB that never fails me.
If you Fold The Cure will Come!!!!!
Fold On Forever!!
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...00CC&c5=FFFFFF
Your Thoughts Will Define Your Destiny.
Hidden variables are everywhere.
BF3 KOz1
Rad2owns is offline   Reply With Quote