Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Oct 22, 2010, 12:15 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

AMD AMD Radeon HD 6870 & HD 6850 Launch Review @ Rage3D.com

Rage3D looks at the Radeon HD 6850 and HD 6870, the next generation mid range enthusiast cards from AMD - investigating architecture, image quality and new features. We test performance of Sapphire's new Radeon HD 6850, testing against AMD's reference Radeon HD 6870 and Radeon HD 6850, and Nvidia's GTX 460 1GB.

AMD Radeon HD 6870 & HD 6850 Launch Review

10/22/2010 NOTE: We have removed the 6850 Crossfire portion of our investigation due to our Sapphire test sample having the wrong number of Stream Processors enabled. We apologize for the inconvenience, and will look at Crossfire numbers again soon.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 12:20 AM   #2
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

W00t
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 12:21 AM   #3
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

err I must be reading something wrong ..

http://www.rage3d.com/reviews/video/...index.php?p=10

none of the graphs show the 6870/6850.. they show 5550/5570/5670/5570CF and "error in loading data"
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 22, 2010, 12:25 AM   #4
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

dont know what you're talking about...

Old Oct 22, 2010, 12:30 AM   #5
erek
Banned

erek is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs up

Great Review with the Rage3D Flare that We Have Come to Love and Respect!!!

Thank you!!!
(i know that you guys spent a lot of time working on this review in spite of the fact that you have full-time careers, and families... but are still passionate enthusiasts... shows a lot of character and wisdom being able to handle all of that and us...)

(thank you for your time)

...why the pink specifications charts, etc? (i figure it was done for comic relief, heh)

Last edited by erek : Oct 22, 2010 at 01:19 AM.
erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 12:31 AM   #6
Skynet
Banned

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Finally!

I mean thanks, reading now.
Skynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 12:38 AM   #7
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
dont know what you're talking about...

nice that you fixed it ;-)
Old Oct 22, 2010, 12:41 AM   #8
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

Found an error

Quote:
HDMI 1.4a both offer more bandwidth
Nuh huh HDMI 1.3 and HDMI 1.4 are the same bandwidth but HDMI 1.4 supports more features and higher resolutions + 3D of course.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 01:15 AM   #9
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

Ughh horrible decision with the font colors AGAIN.... either change the graph background or the text font color... the silver R3D icon behind the white text makes it nearly impossible to read.. this is what the 3rd review in a row where this has been pointed out. Good review.. horrible format decision.

Old Oct 22, 2010, 01:17 AM   #10
Skynet
Banned

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

lol horrible is maybe a bit harsh. Part of the text is obscured, but I know exactly what card shows where in the graph so no big deal to me. Maybe I'm just use to nearly indecipherable captcha's so this was nothing.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 01:27 AM   #11
game_fanatic
Radeon R200

game_fanatic is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
ATI HD Audio is unchanged, offering high bitrate multi-channel audio pass-through for Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio, required for protected audio path playback of Blu-ray audio via your receiver. The audio output can be directed through either the HDMI or DisplayPort outputs, but not both at the same time.
can you now select which port to use for audio through windows?
game_fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 01:31 AM   #12
Skynet
Banned

Nice review, I find the writing style very easy to read, a lot of good info without the filler and nonsense. AMD's reliance on 3rd party drivers for 3D gaming bothers me a bit, but I guess time will tell if that is the right decision. The naming scheme I'm not crazy about but I understand why AMD did it, I think it will make a lot more sense when the whole product stack is filled out. Interesting to see the 57xx cards carry over untouched, glad no renaming going on there.

Bart's is a very very strong chip given the size and power footprint. What's interesting is it looks like AMD will have a significantly different design for the 69xx cards, which makes sense IMO.

These cards don't interest me so much personally (at least not in my main rig) but extrapolating performance into the 69xx cards, in a month I'm most certainly going to be upgrading.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 01:59 AM   #13
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

The Barts exceeded my expectations, the 6870 is on par with a 470 virtually for games. Rather impressive considering how much smaller, much less energy, less bandwidth etc. AMD just ROCKS! Plain and simple.

Not sure how the 3d end of things will work out. The dual-link DVI can do 3d just fine meaning the 58xx series could be doing it now. No need for the 1.4HDMI or 1.2 DP except for HDTVs. Will the 6xxx series all of a sudden be doing 3d more so? I don't know, hopefully we will see some stuff before the end of the year.

Way too much, at least for me is made out of the number naming. Probably be less of an issue once the 6970/50 Caymen boards come out.

I am just wondering what Caymen will bring, I am almost in shock now, really not much is separating a 6870 from a 5870. I am beginning to believe the 6950 will trounce a 480 easily and the 6970 will have no real competition from the get go, but a price tag that one will want to grab one fast.

I expected Nvidia to drop prices but even after the dropped prices Nvidia is not competing yet , still amazed.

Looking very much forward to the driver improvements, hopefully the AA improvements will make it to the 5xxx series, can't wait to try them out.

Amazing job AMD and great review here as well.
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:38 AM   #14
SpecTP
Radeon R600

SpecTP is still being judged by the masses

I hope there's enough volume that the retailers aren't jacking up the prices above MSRP like the 5800's.

GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z87 - i7-4770K | 2x4Gb G.Skill PC16800 DDR3| XFX R9 290 (Cat14.12) | Asus PB278Q | 128Gb OCZ Agility3 SSD | 240Gb Samsung EVO SSD| Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB | Fractal Design R4 | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 | Samsung SH-B123L BD/DVD/RW | W8.1

GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 - i7-2600K | 4x4Gb G.Skill PC16800 DDR3| Sapphire HD 7970 (Cat14.12) | BenQ XL2720T | 2x 128Gb OCZ Agility3 SSD | 2TB WD Caviar | Antec Lanboy | Corsair H60 w/S-Flex 120x25 F fans | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 950 | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Samsung SH-B123L BD/DVD/RW | W7 Ult

Gigabyte EP45-UD3 - Q9550 oc 4.0 | 2x2Gb OCZ Reaper 8500 DDR2 | Sapphire 6970 (Cat13.6b2)| Dell 2407WFP | 74Gb WD Raptor | 500Gb WD SE16 | 1Tb Seagate | Thermalright XP-90C w/Delta 92x25 3-blade fan | Corsair 650TW | CM 690 case| Creative X-Fi Platinum | Liteon 165H6s DVDRW | WinXP Pro SP3
SpecTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:48 AM   #15
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecTP View Post
I hope there's enough volume that the retailers aren't jacking up the prices above MSRP like the 5800's.
Well Newegg's stock is holding out, the only one that's gone is the Asus card.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:56 AM   #16
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyre View Post
Found an error

Nuh huh HDMI 1.3 and HDMI 1.4 are the same bandwidth but HDMI 1.4 supports more features and higher resolutions + 3D of course.
i meant feature bandwidth.

thanks evil spyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by @md_Guy View Post
Ughh horrible decision with the font colors AGAIN.... either change the graph background or the text font color... the silver R3D icon behind the white text makes it nearly impossible to read.. this is what the 3rd review in a row where this has been pointed out. Good review.. horrible format decision.

mouseover it.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 12:05 PM   #17
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Dyre Straits is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Fry's has jacked up the ASUS card to $299 and it's only for pre-order online...no in-store pickup as of yet.
~Windows 10 x64 Professional~Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H~Intel I7-3770K~8x2 GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistic 1600 RAM (Dual Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX R9 390 8GB GDDR5~3 Acer 27 inch LCDs~SCEPTRE 505 4K UHD TVand one Sanyo 32 inch HDTV connected via Intel onboard GPU~SATA BluRay RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~AND....1 TB XBOX ONE~1 PS4 with Uncharted Bundle~

Quote:
If you have an issue with what you said, please resolve it in private ;)
Dyre Straits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 12:08 PM   #18
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by game_fanatic View Post
can you now select which port to use for audio through windows?
No, I don't think so. I think you have to use either HDMI or DisplayPort connected first.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 02:21 PM   #19
SpecTP
Radeon R600

SpecTP is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerzwild View Post
Well Newegg's stock is holding out, the only one that's gone is the Asus card.
Yea.. I went ahead and ordered 2 of the Gigabyte versions before prices start rising and stock dwindle.

GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z87 - i7-4770K | 2x4Gb G.Skill PC16800 DDR3| XFX R9 290 (Cat14.12) | Asus PB278Q | 128Gb OCZ Agility3 SSD | 240Gb Samsung EVO SSD| Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB | Fractal Design R4 | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 | Samsung SH-B123L BD/DVD/RW | W8.1

GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 - i7-2600K | 4x4Gb G.Skill PC16800 DDR3| Sapphire HD 7970 (Cat14.12) | BenQ XL2720T | 2x 128Gb OCZ Agility3 SSD | 2TB WD Caviar | Antec Lanboy | Corsair H60 w/S-Flex 120x25 F fans | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 950 | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Samsung SH-B123L BD/DVD/RW | W7 Ult

Gigabyte EP45-UD3 - Q9550 oc 4.0 | 2x2Gb OCZ Reaper 8500 DDR2 | Sapphire 6970 (Cat13.6b2)| Dell 2407WFP | 74Gb WD Raptor | 500Gb WD SE16 | 1Tb Seagate | Thermalright XP-90C w/Delta 92x25 3-blade fan | Corsair 650TW | CM 690 case| Creative X-Fi Platinum | Liteon 165H6s DVDRW | WinXP Pro SP3
SpecTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 02:28 PM   #20
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Dyre Straits is still being judged by the masses

I just got my order in for one of the Gigabyte HD 6870's, too. Should be here the first of the coming week.

Got an email from MicroCenter saying they are going to be charging $319.99. Ridiculous!!!
~Windows 10 x64 Professional~Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H~Intel I7-3770K~8x2 GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistic 1600 RAM (Dual Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX R9 390 8GB GDDR5~3 Acer 27 inch LCDs~SCEPTRE 505 4K UHD TVand one Sanyo 32 inch HDTV connected via Intel onboard GPU~SATA BluRay RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~AND....1 TB XBOX ONE~1 PS4 with Uncharted Bundle~

Quote:
If you have an issue with what you said, please resolve it in private ;)
Dyre Straits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 03:49 PM   #21
Qualitier
UltraRacer PC forever

Qualitier is still being judged by the masses

Aren't the 6850 results too low in the Unigine Heaven benchmark?

6850: 32, 27, 25, 18
6850CF: 97, 70, 62, 41
6870: 52, 42, 37, 24
5850: 52, 39, 33, 19
460GTX-SC: 51, 41, 36, 26

http://www.rage3d.com/reviews/video/.../index.php?p=8

Windows XP 32 pro + Windows Vista 32 Ultimate, CCC + ATi Tray Tools
Club3D HD4890 Superclocked Edition (950/1050·4) with Accelero S1 rev2 + Turbo Module (2 80mm low-profile fans w/o frame)
LCD Samsung SyncMaster T260 (26", 1920x1200)
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P (socket AM3, chipset AMD-790FX)
Phenom II X4 955-BE @ stock
4x2GB Geil DDR3-1333 7-7-7-24-33 1.5V @ 1333MHz 7-7-7-24-33-1T 1.6V; dual channel enabled; unganged mode
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 with gameport, AverMedia AVerTV Hybrid Super007
2x WD 640GB Caviar Blue (SATA) in RAID 0, DVD reader (IDE), 2 DVD recorders (SATA+IDE), floppy drive, card reader
Corsair VX-550W, one +12V x 41A rail, 81-85% efficiency

Windows XP 32 pro, no CCC, ATi Tray Tools
Sapphire X1950pro 512MB AGP (580/702·2 MHz) with Accelero X2
CRT Nokia 446Xpro (19", 107 kHz) @ 1600x1200x75Hz (desktop) or 1280x1024x85Hz (games)
Asrock AM2NF3-VSTA (nForce3 250); [email protected] MHz (motherboard limitation, 3216MB/s up + 3216MB/s down)
Athlon64 X2 5000+ Brisbane (@13*201=2613MHz)
2x2GB Buffalo 2.1V + 2x1GB Kingston 2.0V, both DDR2-800 [email protected] 2*373MHz (2613/7) 4-4-4-12-2T 2.0V; dual channel enabled
56k modem, drives etc
Corsair VX-450W, one +12V x 33A rail, 81-85% efficiency
190W maximum consumption from the wall (monitor apart)
Qualitier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 04:14 PM   #22
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Yea.. I went ahead and ordered 2 of the Gigabyte versions before prices start rising and stock dwindle.
The Gigabyte just sold out too, but they've added a HIS since last night. I was worried for a minute that I would have to make a new order after I saw that the Asus had sold out, but I got my tracking number a couple hours ago so I guess it's a go.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 05:39 PM   #23
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

We have an issue we're looking into that may have impacted our 6850 Crossfire results. For now, please take the 6850 Crossfire numbers with a grain of salt.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 06:28 PM   #24
Lupine
Administrator

Crossfire results removed from article. We will revisit Crossfire performance once we have the appropriate hardware in hand.

Copied from front page news article (link):

Reviews based on AIB supplied Radeon HD 6850 test samples should be approached with skepticism, until it is confirmed the results pertain to 960SP enabled cards. While Rage3D's launch article (AMD Radeon HD 6870 & HD 6850 Launch Review) used the AMD supplied HD 6850 for single card tests, we used an affected Sapphire HD 6850 for the Crossfire tests, which are now invalid. We are updating the article accordingly.

Apparently a small number of the AMD Radeon HD 6850 press samples shipped from AIB partners have a higher-than-expected number of stream processors enabled.

This is because some AIBs used early engineering ASICs intended for board validation on their press samples. The use of these ASICs results in the incorrect number of stream processors. If you have an HD 6850 board sample from an AIB, please test using a utility such as GPU-z to determine the number of active stream processors. If that number is greater than 960, please contact us and we will work to have your board replaced with a production-level sample.

All boards available in the market, as well as AMD-supplied media samples, have production-level GPUs with the correct 960 stream processors.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 08:12 PM   #25
Naed

Naed is still being judged by the masses

Nice review, but where are the numbers for the stock 6850 ?

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33969929

Im quite curious because the 6850 Saphire that you list is clocked 125mhz higher on the core.

Its listed in the test setup and the card lineup

But it aint in any of the graphs ?

EDIT:
It seems that the clock info in the article is wrong. And it has been corrected

Last edited by Naed : Oct 22, 2010 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Info from Lupine in other thread
Naed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 01:00 PM   #26
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

GTX 460 has $32 ROPs.

Last edited by guest : Oct 24, 2010 at 01:58 PM.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:46 AM   #27
Ancient76
Rage3D Veteran

Ancient76 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAncient76 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Nice test, but i must point out on one error.

http://www.rage3d.com/reviews/video/...index.php?p=10

You can't test Nvidia cards with HDAO in Stalker CoP. HDAO is AMD feature and it's not optimized for Nvidia cards. It degrades performance and image quality.

For testing purposes default SSAO is adequate.
Ancient76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:57 AM   #28
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Thanks for the feedback.

@guest, those are added value ROP's.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:58 AM   #29
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:36 AM   #30
Ancient76
Rage3D Veteran

Ancient76 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAncient76 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.

Thank you.

Btw, i must say that many testers have done the same mistake.
Ancient76 is offline   Reply With Quote