Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Sep 21, 2010, 01:39 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Processor Rage3D Reviews AMD's Fall Processor Lineup

AMD's end of summer processor refresh has arrived, with six new models slotting in at the top of their respective product stacks - bar one, a new Thuban hexacore sliding between the two existing X6 turbos. Rage3D tests out three new processors with Cooler Master's V6 heatsink, with some core unlocking and 4GHz+ action!

AMD Unveils New Phenom II & Athlon II Processors @ Rage3D.com
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 02:02 AM   #2
Faceless Rebel
Rage3D Veteran

Faceless Rebel can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFaceless Rebel can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Is there a reason why no Intel processors appeared in this review? How are we supposed to see how these new AMD CPUs compared to Intel's?
Faceless Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 05:58 AM   #3
ragejg
Rage3d Staff Emeritus

ragejg is still being judged by the masses

Nice review.

Unlocked to x4 and overclocked, the x2 couldn't keep up with the unlocked/OCed x3, like in BF:BC2, WPrime, AES Everest, 7-Zip, Sandra and [email protected] ... And it hardly even kept up with the x3 @ stock? Might this be a matter of the L3 cache starting to show its worth?

Again, great review though.
ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 21, 2010, 06:43 AM   #4
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Crisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post
Is there a reason why no Intel processors appeared in this review? How are we supposed to see how these new AMD CPUs compared to Intel's?

Why?

I mean seriously why do we need to? Oh I know many people need their daily does of benchmarks to keep ewood but seriously does a comparision matter at the end of the day?

#SapphireNation
Crisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 07:04 AM   #5
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragejg View Post
Nice review.

Unlocked to x4 and overclocked, the x2 couldn't keep up with the unlocked/OCed x3, like in BF:BC2, WPrime, AES Everest, 7-Zip, Sandra and [email protected] ... And it hardly even kept up with the x3 @ stock? Might this be a matter of the L3 cache starting to show its worth?

Yes, the L3 cache does matter and is the difference here. I recently had the choice of a PII X2 555 BE or an A2 X4 635 or 640. I went with the 555 because even at stock it's faster than the A2 for more applications (especially games).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisler View Post
Why?

I mean seriously why do we need to? Oh I know many people need their daily does of benchmarks to keep ewood but seriously does a comparision matter at the end of the day?
If AMD had no competition this would be just fine, but since they are competing with Intel and consumers have to make comparisons it's not a bad idea to have some Intel performance data to compare with.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 08:52 AM   #6
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
I don't have any Intel platforms to compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragejg View Post
Nice review.

The Phenom II X2 couldn't unlock and be stable, it was dual core all the way.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 12:07 PM   #7
Dr. Zhivago
Sound: Serious Business

Dr. Zhivago once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Dr. Zhivago once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Dr. Zhivago once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Dr. Zhivago once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Dr. Zhivago once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Dr. Zhivago once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Good job Jim.

I thought the AthlonII X3 results were impressive.

Bedroom PC - Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 - AMD 1100T @3.7/4GHz - H50 - 8GB DDR3-1600 - HD 7870 OC - Samsung 840 250GB - WD 640GB Blue - Xonar DX - LG BDROM - Logitech 6110 - TT Volos - Antec 900 - CM 500W PSU - Samsung 32" HDTV - Onkyo TX-SR606 - BIC L/R & MTX Surround Speakers - Mission C70 Center - Sony 10" Sub - Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

HTPC - Gigabyte GA-890GPA~UD3H - AthlonII X4 630 - HD6450 - 8GB DDR3-1333 - WD 500GB Black - WD 640GB Green - WD 2TB Green - LG BDROM - Ceton InfiniTV 4 w/ MCE Remote - Logitech MX5000 Laser Desktop - Corsair 450W - Silverstone LC10B-E - Sharp Aquos 46" HDTV - Onkyo TX-SR606 - PE 15" Sub - Classic Mission Speakers - Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Office PC - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H - Intel 3570K - 16GB DDR3-1866 - HD 7950 FLEX - Samsung 840 250GB - WD 500GB Blue - WD 1TB Black - Xonar DX - Corsair 600W PSU - Antec ON1E - Logitech G5 - Logitech USB Media KB - AOC 23" LCD - Creative Inspire 2.1 - Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

5x Presentation Machines - Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 - FX-8350 w/ FX WC - 8GB DDR3-1600 - 5870 or 7870 Eyefinity 6 - 2x Samsung 840 EVO 120GB - WD 500GB Black - DVDRW - Cooler Master Sileo 500 - 600W PSU - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit - Office 2010 Pro
Dr. Zhivago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 01:24 PM   #8
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Is there a reason why no Intel processors appeared in this review?
I agree, this review is pretty foggy without a fair comparison of how these new chips compare to Intel's offerings. I'm the fastest man in the world when measured next to my 95 year old grandma, after all.

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek

Last edited by FX-Overclocking : Sep 21, 2010 at 01:28 PM.
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 03:26 PM   #9
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Why?

Sarcasm???
Old Sep 21, 2010, 03:33 PM   #10
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post
I agree, this review is pretty foggy without a fair comparison of how these new chips compare to Intel's offerings. I'm the fastest man in the world when measured next to my 95 year old grandma, after all.
Sorry,
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
I don't have any Intel platforms to compare.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 03:34 PM   #11
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Rage3D is only one of many sites taking a look at these processors. We always recommend checking out other reviews before forming an opinion on the reviewed product(s). And if you're looking for specific comparisons, platforms, or methods, there is a good chance someone out there will be offering it.

A good place to start is to check out the following news post for affiliate reviews: http://www.rage3d.com/index.php?cat=75#newsid33968769
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 04:43 PM   #12
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Sorry,
No I know, and the review was at the very least good due to it's overclocking/underclocking section. I love to see those in any review. And as it is with out the Intel comparison it can still serve those well who are in the market to upgrade from a slower AMD chip and want to consider what choices they have.

Its just that I have an i7 920 and was really curious if that hexicore could possibly beat it in benchmarks. No worries though Jim, well written review.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
Old Sep 21, 2010, 07:57 PM   #13
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

An i7 vs. Phenom II X6 has been on my mind for a bit, I might see if can work in a quick comparo somewhere here soon.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 01:05 AM   #14
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

the 920/930/940 quads vs the X6 would be awesome too since the Intel hexicores are retardedly expensive. Not that I'm not curious.

Old Sep 22, 2010, 01:17 AM   #15
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

Excellent. Waits patiently for early adopters to throw out their 955's, 965's for 970 or 1075T and sell me for half price
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 07:51 AM   #16
ragejg
Rage3d Staff Emeritus

ragejg is still being judged by the masses

This product release looks darn good, but it also only makes me happier that both my unlockable x3 and x6 1055T already overclock like these new chips when set up right. I've had a 720BE since July '09 and it's proving to be one of the hardiest CPUs I've ever had... a bit of a dark horse if you will...
ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 05:15 PM   #17
Faceless Rebel
Rage3D Veteran

Faceless Rebel can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFaceless Rebel can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
the 920/930/940 quads vs the X6 would be awesome too since the Intel hexicores are retardedly expensive. Not that I'm not curious.
Yeah, I have no idea what the deal is with Intel's pricing on Gulftown. I hope that there will be some reasonably affordable 6-core 1366 CPUs in 2011 before Intel discontinues that socket.
Faceless Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 05:41 PM   #18
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Yeah, I have no idea what the deal is with Intel's pricing on Gulftown. I hope that there will be some reasonably affordable 6-core 1366 CPUs in 2011 before Intel discontinues that socket.
No idea? There's no competition, that's what. AMD's hexacore CPUs pale in comparison to Intel's from a performance perspective.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 06:29 PM   #19
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Yeah, 15% slower is terrible
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:24 AM   #20
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran View Post
No idea? There's no competition, that's what. AMD's hexacore CPUs pale in comparison to Intel's from a performance perspective.
Quote:
Yeah, 15% slower is terrible
From what I've seen its way more than 15% in a lot of benchmarks and the Intels apparently overclock extremely well. So you pay a premium but it IS faster across all boards. That said I think he has a point that its a total rip off. However, were AMD within a legit 5% in all benches you'd see that Intel price drop IMO. But I've been bitching about Intel playing dumb before.

Old Sep 23, 2010, 02:44 AM   #21
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

The Core i7 hexacore is 1000 bucks. My entire computer is 500 bucks and runs pretty close in every day tasks.

I only fall behind in rendering and unraring. Like I do that all the time, and even if I'm doing that, I can afford the time to... wait (gasp!)
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 06:07 AM   #22
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Crisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
From what I've seen its way more than 15% in a lot of benchmarks and the Intels apparently overclock extremely well. So you pay a premium but it IS faster across all boards. That said I think he has a point that its a total rip off. However, were AMD within a legit 5% in all benches you'd see that Intel price drop IMO. But I've been bitching about Intel playing dumb before.
Faster at what? Benchmarks, well if that is all you do then by all means. However in real world usage that difference is not all that high.

I have an i7 930 sitting next to a 1055T and I do not see ANY difference in daily use unless I use benchmarks.

#SapphireNation
Crisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 08:58 AM   #23
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
It is way more than 15%, Jim lives by a little river called Denial. Sure, games that are GPU-limited won't run any better (average framerate) but if you run games that actually have a CPU limitation like DoWII and DAO, you can see AMD's best look pretty weak in comparison.

It's the same story with professional rendering apps and video encoding, Intel's 6-core solution is just plain faster than AMD's, hence the higher price.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 08:59 AM   #24
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVanks View Post
The Core i7 hexacore is 1000 bucks. My entire computer is 500 bucks and runs pretty close in every day tasks.

I only fall behind in rendering and unraring. Like I do that all the time, and even if I'm doing that, I can afford the time to... wait (gasp!)
That's good that your computer handles the tasks you require of it. The point of this conversation is that Intel's fastest chips are faster than AMD's, so your statement isn't relevant to the topic.

Quote:
Faster at what? Benchmarks, well if that is all you do then by all means. However in real world usage that difference is not all that high.

I have an i7 930 sitting next to a 1055T and I do not see ANY difference in daily use unless I use benchmarks.
We're comparing 6-core chips. See my last post for some examples of the performance difference between them.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 09:25 AM   #25
Qualitier
UltraRacer PC forever

Qualitier is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
It is way more than 15%, Jim lives by a little river called Denial. Sure, games that are GPU-limited won't run any better (average framerate) but if you run games that actually have a CPU limitation like DoWII and DAO, you can see AMD's best look pretty weak in comparison.
I don't know those games, but they're so CPU limited that an Intel i7 at 10% more frequency posts 10% more frames. Is that game about prime numbers?

Windows XP 32 pro + Windows Vista 32 Ultimate, CCC + ATi Tray Tools
Club3D HD4890 Superclocked Edition (950/1050·4) with Accelero S1 rev2 + Turbo Module (2 80mm low-profile fans w/o frame)
LCD Samsung SyncMaster T260 (26", 1920x1200)
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P (socket AM3, chipset AMD-790FX)
Phenom II X4 955-BE @ stock
4x2GB Geil DDR3-1333 7-7-7-24-33 1.5V @ 1333MHz 7-7-7-24-33-1T 1.6V; dual channel enabled; unganged mode
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 with gameport, AverMedia AVerTV Hybrid Super007
2x WD 640GB Caviar Blue (SATA) in RAID 0, DVD reader (IDE), 2 DVD recorders (SATA+IDE), floppy drive, card reader
Corsair VX-550W, one +12V x 41A rail, 81-85% efficiency

Windows XP 32 pro, no CCC, ATi Tray Tools
Sapphire X1950pro 512MB AGP (580/702·2 MHz) with Accelero X2
CRT Nokia 446Xpro (19", 107 kHz) @ 1600x1200x75Hz (desktop) or 1280x1024x85Hz (games)
Asrock AM2NF3-VSTA (nForce3 250); [email protected] MHz (motherboard limitation, 3216MB/s up + 3216MB/s down)
Athlon64 X2 5000+ Brisbane (@13*201=2613MHz)
2x2GB Buffalo 2.1V + 2x1GB Kingston 2.0V, both DDR2-800 [email protected] 2*373MHz (2613/7) 4-4-4-12-2T 2.0V; dual channel enabled
56k modem, drives etc
Corsair VX-450W, one +12V x 33A rail, 81-85% efficiency
190W maximum consumption from the wall (monitor apart)
Qualitier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:21 AM   #26
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualitier View Post
I don't know those games, but they're so CPU limited that an Intel i7 at 10% more frequency posts 10% more frames. Is that game about prime numbers?
Do you not see the graphs?

DoW II:
i7 980x: 77.6 fps
PII 1090t: 54.9 fps

that's a 41% increase

DAO:
i7 980x: 170.6 fps
PII 1090t: 108.5 fps

that's an even larger 63% increase

How in the world do you come up with 10%?
Old Sep 23, 2010, 11:13 AM   #27
Qualitier
UltraRacer PC forever

Qualitier is still being judged by the masses

In my post I was EVALUATING THE GAME ITSELF, concretely HOW DOES IT USE THE PROCESSOR, I was NOT making comparisions between Amd and Intel.

To make my evaluation, I did choose TWO INTEL I7 PROCESSORS.

The models I chose HAVE A 10% FREQUENCY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THEM.

The models I chose HAVE THE SAME ARCHITECTURE, so that we can see how a raw processor power increase affect the frame rates, with both terms expressed numerically.

And the result was: a 10% more powerful processor (i7-975 vs i7-870) gets 10% more frame rate (80.3 fps vs 72.6 fps) in Dawn of War II.

Choosing other pairs of Intel processors gives comparable scaling results. So I asked if these games (spacially Dawn of War II) are about prime numbers or anything, and I added a "" because all we know they aren't such.

Btw (this is new stuff I have realized now): AMD processors, essentially, do not scale among them in these games according to those tests, unlike bunches of Intels comparable among them.

Last but not least: based on such weird results, I couldn't bet any serious amount of money on that those graphs reflect with precision the differences between processors, be them two Intels, two AMD's, or one Intel and one AMD.

Windows XP 32 pro + Windows Vista 32 Ultimate, CCC + ATi Tray Tools
Club3D HD4890 Superclocked Edition (950/1050·4) with Accelero S1 rev2 + Turbo Module (2 80mm low-profile fans w/o frame)
LCD Samsung SyncMaster T260 (26", 1920x1200)
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P (socket AM3, chipset AMD-790FX)
Phenom II X4 955-BE @ stock
4x2GB Geil DDR3-1333 7-7-7-24-33 1.5V @ 1333MHz 7-7-7-24-33-1T 1.6V; dual channel enabled; unganged mode
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 with gameport, AverMedia AVerTV Hybrid Super007
2x WD 640GB Caviar Blue (SATA) in RAID 0, DVD reader (IDE), 2 DVD recorders (SATA+IDE), floppy drive, card reader
Corsair VX-550W, one +12V x 41A rail, 81-85% efficiency

Windows XP 32 pro, no CCC, ATi Tray Tools
Sapphire X1950pro 512MB AGP (580/702·2 MHz) with Accelero X2
CRT Nokia 446Xpro (19", 107 kHz) @ 1600x1200x75Hz (desktop) or 1280x1024x85Hz (games)
Asrock AM2NF3-VSTA (nForce3 250); [email protected] MHz (motherboard limitation, 3216MB/s up + 3216MB/s down)
Athlon64 X2 5000+ Brisbane (@13*201=2613MHz)
2x2GB Buffalo 2.1V + 2x1GB Kingston 2.0V, both DDR2-800 [email protected] 2*373MHz (2613/7) 4-4-4-12-2T 2.0V; dual channel enabled
56k modem, drives etc
Corsair VX-450W, one +12V x 33A rail, 81-85% efficiency
190W maximum consumption from the wall (monitor apart)
Qualitier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:23 PM   #28
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualitier View Post
In my post I was EVALUATING THE GAME ITSELF, concretely HOW DOES IT USE THE PROCESSOR, I was NOT making comparisions between Amd and Intel.

To make my evaluation, I did choose TWO INTEL I7 PROCESSORS.

The models I chose HAVE A 10% FREQUENCY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THEM.

The models I chose HAVE THE SAME ARCHITECTURE, so that we can see how a raw processor power increase affect the frame rates, with both terms expressed numerically.

And the result was: a 10% more powerful processor (i7-975 vs i7-870) gets 10% more frame rate (80.3 fps vs 72.6 fps) in Dawn of War II.

Choosing other pairs of Intel processors gives comparable scaling results. So I asked if these games (spacially Dawn of War II) are about prime numbers or anything, and I added a "" because all we know they aren't such.

Btw (this is new stuff I have realized now): AMD processors, essentially, do not scale among them in these games according to those tests, unlike bunches of Intels comparable among them.

Last but not least: based on such weird results, I couldn't bet any serious amount of money on that those graphs reflect with precision the differences between processors, be them two Intels, two AMD's, or one Intel and one AMD.
What in the world are you talking about? You're speaking as though you've performed some evaluation of processors, and I'm talking about a specific review Anandtech performed, which I've linked, referenced, and analyzed.

We're not even talking about the same thing.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 02:58 PM   #29
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Do you not see the graphs?

DoW II:
i7 980x: 77.6 fps
PII 1090t: 54.9 fps

that's a 41% increase

DAO:
i7 980x: 170.6 fps
PII 1090t: 108.5 fps

that's an even larger 63% increase

How in the world do you come up with 10%?
And the Intel costs upwards of 2-3X as much for JUST the processor,.. never mind the additional platform cost (mobo, memory etc)... WTF is the 2-3X speed increase ? Obviously Intel much faster in select benchmarks.. it damn well better be with it cost up to THREE (4X as much if you shop at Microcenter) times as much. For the price of the 980X you could get a 1090T, Motherboard AND memory or throw in an SSD (or two).

Now looking at comparatively priced parts and the performance gap shrinks considerably .. with AMD matching perf/$.

750 v 970 ($210 v $190)
920 v 1075 ($300 v $250)

and games too show similar performance...

980X 16.8% faster

980X 5% faster

21% faster

and since not too many (who would be looking at either an 980/1090) people actually PLAY at 720, 960 or 1024.. in REAL LIFE circumstances the performance is quite different

this is not to say the 980X isn't a aster processor (I dont see anyone saying otherwise) and unless you spend all your time doing x264 2nd passes, Unraring or playing DOWII, DOA at 1050 ( I mean REALLY.. WhotheF*&^ buys a $1000 processor and cant afford a $250 display at 19x12 or 19x1080p ?!!) or loves synthetic benchmarks to make their epeen bigger, the up to 4x cost is hardly justified and AMD has matched i7 performance at their respective price points. If I understand the posts correctly thats pretty much what Jim and others were saying, that in side by side comparisons at actual day to day settings the performance difference is negligible.

Last edited by @md_Guy : Sep 23, 2010 at 03:28 PM.
@md_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 03:12 PM   #30
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

No no no no, you have to compare highest performance to highest performance! Otherwise the denial river bursts its banks and washes everybody away!