Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:01 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

AMD Rage3D Article: AMD Heats VISION - Hot Chips 22

Today at Hot Chips 22, AMD discloses the first in-depth look at the two brand new highly anticipated x86 architectures, Bulldozer and Bobcat. AMD speaks with Rage3D about the new processor cores, and how the VISION strategy is laying the foundation for new products based on them. Read our exploration of AMD VISION and an overview of the new features and design of the heart inside AMD's 2011 2-core, 8-core, and 16-core Product line up.

AMD Heats VISION - Hot Chips 22
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 01:30 AM   #2
Skynet
Banned

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Excellent article, dare I say even outstanding? A bit long on the marketing buzz, but to be expected when covering future products. But quite a lot of good info, and easy to digest. I did find one nitpick:
Quote:
Finally, we also don't know how the HD 5000 lack of sideport will affect performance, as previous Integrated Graphics Processors (IGP) have leveraged sideport dedicated mainboard memory to great effect.
To great effect? Sideport gives marginal improvements. Partially because the IGP is weak as it is, so even a massive increase would still see a dog slow GPU. But there is no "great effect" going on, I wish.

One thing that struck me was I go the eerie feeling that we were back in 2002, I remember very clearly thinking that Hammer was going to be a game changer, and invested appropriately. This seems like another one of those events, although this time I am not 100% sure, back then I was. It comes down to execution, and IMO AMD will need to pull off a minor miracle to roll out Bulldozer and Fusion on time.

I also had a "flash forward" and saw Steve Jobs rolling out a Fusion based Apple product, the first commercially available.
Skynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 08:54 AM   #3
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

R.E. the nitpick, if you consider igp with sideport vs. previous gen without, I think you could say it had a great effect, IMO; but in terms of the larger picture, it's smaller in scale.

Thanks for your feedback. I had originally planned this to be two articles but because of timing it made more sense to do it as one, hence it seems heavy on the PR.

Regarding execution, I feel the same way but I think the recent new hires (poached from Intel and NVIDIA) will allay fears somewhat.

As far as being on time... we already know BD is late; Bobcat is ahead of schedule (per last quarter financial report day).
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 24, 2010, 08:59 AM   #4
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

IMPRESSIVE! Very nice article and some great insite into the future. Wish some time tables or clearer time lines where attached. I am about ready to upgrade and can wait 3-6 months but not a year. For example when will the AM3+ boards be ready or available? I hope before Bulldozer is available as in by Christmas time, that way I could start the upgrade process and get a decent current generation CPU while I can upgrade to Bulldozer later. Laptops, another thing I need to get in the near future, love to get an Ontario class laptop, when will they be ready or out the door? Prices?
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 08:59 AM   #5
Crippler
Sapphire Radeon HD5850

Crippler is still being judged by the masses

Be great if AMD can get Bulldozer out for Crysis 2.
Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 10:11 AM   #6
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

2011 is all we're told right now. November is when the roadmaps refresh so we'll see the new time frames then. I wouldn't expect Bulldozer before Q2 '11, mayb Q3 for desktop.

Ontario based laptops are looking to be available in Q1/Q2 '11. Llano based laptops should be here Q4 '10.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 02:41 PM   #7
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Hi alex! I see joo! Come to tell me how wrong I am

edit - nope he dont care anymore

Last edited by caveman-jim : Aug 24, 2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 07:50 PM   #8
AlexV
Radeon Northern Islands

AlexV is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Hi alex! I see joo! Come to tell me how wrong I am

edit - nope he dont care anymore
What, do I always tell people they're wrong? Nice work!
AlexV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 07:50 PM   #9
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

thanks!

I just didnt want you to tell people I wouldn't notice an angry sadistic sodomizing monkey behind me.

Last edited by caveman-jim : Aug 24, 2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 11:29 PM   #10
flippin_waffles
Radeon R300

flippin_waffles is still being judged by the masses

Hey Jim, great article. I wondered about something though, maybe it was a typo but PCPer is saying the same thing. Is Llano headed to TSMC's 40nm process and not Ontario, or is it the other way around? And many sights are reporting that AMD is saying Llano will be the first Fusion APU, but didn't AMD say they pushed Llano out and pulled Ontario in? Or is it all gonna be a big surprise!? :
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:07 AM   #11
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

LLano is the first APU product. It's a combined module chip, existing x86 architecture from Althon II/Phenom II with 480 Evergreen class shader GPU array, not a 'true' FUSION APU that the 'Bobcat' based Ontario is.

Llano is due Q4 2010, and is targeted towards notebooks and mainstream desktops. It's made at TSMC on 40nm process.

Ontario is due 1H 2011, and is targeted towards netbooks, ultraportables and mainstream notebooks, using Global Foundries 28nm process. We'll see new market segments for AMD open up with the processor.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 03:14 PM   #12
flippin_waffles
Radeon R300

flippin_waffles is still being judged by the masses

For sure? Well that's interesting. I've been assuming Llano was 32nm at GF and pushed back to next year and Ontario was TSMC's 40nm pulled into this year. Geez, hard to keep it all straight! It seems that's what the popular opinion is of other forums around the net also. Looking forward to them regardless though. Like you say, they have great potential to open up new markets and market segments.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 05:39 PM   #13
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

This piece has tempered me a bit. Bulldozer will be my next system for sure. I really do have high hopes for it. I was really close to compeletly tearing my system apart, but now I'm going to just give it a refresh and when bulldozer hits, I'll have two PC's. I could use a second one anyway.

Sounds to me that they really improved interger performance. They never were far behind in floating point.
Sound_Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 08:55 AM   #14
Tizen
Custom User Title

Tizen is still being judged by the masses

I hope AM3+ mobos come out soon I can upgrade from AM2/DDR2 and keep the Phenom X3 while waiting for the Bulldozer chips.