Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:57 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Rage3D Reviews EVGA's GTX 460 SC 1GB Video Card

EVGA's Super Clocked GeForce GTX 460 stares down five opponents in Rage3D's first NVIDIA Fermi-based Review. NVIDIA's 'DirectX 11 Done Right' is overclocked, stripped bare and passed around by the Evergreen boys as we test compute, media and gaming ability, including a little hetero-homo PhysX action!

EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SuperClocked 1GB EE Review
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:22 AM   #2
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly once held a door open for a complete strangerSIrPauly once held a door open for a complete strangerSIrPauly once held a door open for a complete stranger

Nice read and that it touched on some of the flexibility aspects like transparency.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:25 AM   #3
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Tried to include a little flexibility for you, hehe!
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:29 PM   #4
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly once held a door open for a complete strangerSIrPauly once held a door open for a complete strangerSIrPauly once held a door open for a complete stranger

Jacob offering some Rage3d Twitter love:

http://twitter.com/EVGA_JacobF/status/21414941869
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:35 PM   #5
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Tried to include a little flexibility for you, hehe!
, awesome.

EDIT: As usual, great review guys. The 460 IS the new 8800 GT (despite what some here might think).

Last edited by acroig : Aug 17, 2010 at 12:42 PM.
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:45 PM   #6
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

im liking the new darker background for reviews. much better then the old red.
GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:57 PM   #7
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

We switch them up for different reviews. We need to get a more non-AMD one for other content. Thanks for the feedback
Old Aug 17, 2010, 01:53 PM   #8
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

very interesting to see how well the 4890 held it's own for the most part,.. if one doesn't need DX11 or Cuda it seems to offer about the best bang per dollar going at around $150. Nice to see the 1GB 460 finally light a fire under AMD's ass to bring pricing for the 5830 down. NV has a real winner in the GTX 460 1GB, just a shame they were 9 months late. Hadn't they been late and TSMC's production not been so screwy I bet ATI's line up would be much more defined into pricing segments (5770 @ 125, 5830 @ 150, 5850 @ 200, 5870 @ 250-300). Let's hope that nV continues doing "fermi done right".
Old Aug 17, 2010, 05:33 PM   #9
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

EVGA Free Performance Boost v1.1 released, allows setting fan speed down to 30% now on External Exhaust (some SKU's).
Old Aug 17, 2010, 06:07 PM   #10
ragejg
Rage3d Staff Emeritus

ragejg is still being judged by the masses

Nice, another 5830/460 review on AMD hardware!!

Quote:
"...well suited to older, non-deferred lighting titles..."
... Caught a 'lil typo.

... and what are you using for posting those flash graphs? Me likey.

Last edited by ragejg : Aug 17, 2010 at 06:22 PM.
ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 06:13 PM   #11
erek
Banned

erek is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
EVGA's Super Clocked GeForce GTX 460 stares down five opponents in Rage3D's first NVIDIA Fermi-based Review. NVIDIA's 'DirectX 11 Done Right' is overclocked, stripped bare and passed around by the Evergreen boys as we test compute, media and gaming ability, including a little hetero-homo PhysX action!

EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SuperClocked 1GB EE Review
http://www.rage3d.com/reviews/video/.../index.php?p=4

how come GPU-z is reporting 224 SPs? caught me off guard, and is it really 256-bit memory interface? i thought they were 192-bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
, awesome.

EDIT: As usual, great review guys. The 460 IS the new 8800 GT (despite what some here might think).
wouldn't the GTX 465 unlocked to 470 be the new 8800 GT?
erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 06:22 PM   #12
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by erek View Post
http://www.rage3d.com/reviews/video/.../index.php?p=4

how come GPU-z is reporting 224 SPs? caught me off guard, and is it really 256-bit memory interface? i thought they were 192-bit
GPU-z's misreporting.

The 460 768MB is 192-bit, and the 1GB is 256-bit. This is stated on Page 1, and Page 2.

Last edited by caveman-jim : Aug 17, 2010 at 06:49 PM. Reason: typo of memory size, thanks ragejg
Old Aug 17, 2010, 06:23 PM   #13
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Old Aug 17, 2010, 06:42 PM   #14
ragejg
Rage3d Staff Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
GPU-z's misreporting.

The 460 896MB is 192-bit, and the 1GB is 256-bit. This is stated on Page 1, and Page 2.
You mean 768MB?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 06:49 PM   #15
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragejg View Post
You mean 768MB?
Yes. Keep getting the memory of 275 mixed up with the 460.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 07:58 PM   #16
ragejg
Rage3d Staff Emeritus

On http://www.rage3d.com/reviews/video/...index.php?p=10 you have an AvP graph where a Furmark graph should be.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 08:18 PM   #17
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

fix't thanks
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:06 PM   #18
erek
Banned

this review is a lot better than i could have imagined... and also the GF104 is a lot better than i could have imagined...

i was so ignorant... i was one to actually scoff at the GF104 because i didnt consider it as a high-end part or an enthusiast part...

i was truly wrong, i am moments away from buying an eVGA GTX 460 SC
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:11 PM   #19
Faceless Rebel
Rage3D Veteran

Faceless Rebel can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFaceless Rebel can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Sweet, a non-ATI product review from Rage3D!
Faceless Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 03:10 AM   #20
top_gun36
Radeon R600

top_gun36 is still being judged by the masses

Have this card, loving every moment
top_gun36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 07:09 AM   #21
ragejg
Rage3d Staff Emeritus

First page: Author, not Authour, and 768mb, not 896.

Old Aug 18, 2010, 07:47 AM   #22
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Lup's left town to go to his father-in-laws memorial, so any more edits needed will have to wait. Thanks for the heads up. The authour one is apparently unfixable.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 08:33 AM   #23
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
wouldn't the GTX 465 unlocked to 470 be the new 8800 GT?
Benchies of unlocked 465s?
Old Aug 18, 2010, 08:36 AM   #24
erek
Banned

Quote:
Benchies of unlocked 465s?
its a GTX 470 after being unlocked, and also

do you guys think i made the right decision getting an eVGA GeForce GTX 460 768MB SC?
Old Aug 18, 2010, 08:43 AM   #25
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
its a GTX 470 after being unlocked, and also

do you guys think i made the right decision getting an eVGA GeForce GTX 460 768MB SC?
I would have gotten the 1GB since I game at 1080 with 4xAA.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 08:44 AM   #26
erek
Banned

Quote:
I would have gotten the 1GB since I game at 1080 with 4xAA.
1280x1024 here
Old Aug 18, 2010, 08:46 AM   #27
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
1280x1024 here
You should be OK but I'd have gotten the 1GB to be more future proof.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 09:28 AM   #28
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Great review, i like how comments on how adaptive AA is not working as well as transparancy (i mean DX10 isnt exactly new, AMD needs to finish their DX10-driver). Still no (user adjustable) AdaptiveAA nor FlipQueueSize support under DX10 (or higher) whereas nvidia has transparancy AA and max frames to render ahead working for ages.

Same for per-application profiles. Hope Terry reads through the article.

As for GTA IV stuttering issues, according to rockstar torronto, they have tried contacting AMD/ATI about this issue for quite some time but have failed to get their attention. Some framebuffer issue it was said.
ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus

Last edited by Danny Nissan : Aug 18, 2010 at 09:40 AM.
Danny Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 09:51 AM   #29
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Thanks for the feedback
Old Aug 18, 2010, 07:43 PM   #30
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Qb2k5 is still being judged by the masses

Just goes to show you that the 460 is a beast for $200. I wouldnt call it the 2010 "8800GT" but more like a little brother of the 8800GT.

The reason I wouldnt call it the 8800GT of today is because the 8800GT was able to keep up with the 8800GTX and sometimes can outmatch it. You wouldn't see a 460 keep up with a 480. But its a hell of a deal for some one looking for a cheap entry for DX11 and for $200.
Qb2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote