Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Off-Topic Forums » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

"

Old Jul 14, 2010, 03:15 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
kepler
Rage3D Spammer

kepler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkepler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkepler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkepler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkepler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkepler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkepler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkepler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkepler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkepler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Default In 2008 RIAA paid $16,000,000 in court fees to gain $391,000 in damages

Quote:
The RIAA paid Holmes Roberts & Owen $9,364,901 in 2008, Jenner & Block more than $7,000,000, and Cravath Swain & Moore $1.25 million, to pursue its "copyright infringement" claims, in order to recover a mere $391,000. [ps there were many other law firms feeding at the trough too; these were just the ones listed among the top 5 independent contractors.]

Embarrassing.

If the average settlement were $3,900, that would mean 100 settlements for the entire year.

As bad as it was, I guess it was better than the numbers for 2007, in which more than $21 million was spent on legal fees, and $3.5 million on "investigative operations" ... presumably MediaSentry. And the amount recovered was $515,929.

And 2006 was similar: they spent more than $19,000,000 in legal fees and more than $3,600,000 in "investigative operations" expenses to recover $455,000.

So all in all, for a 3 year period, they spent around $64,000,000 in legal and investigative expenses to recover around $1,361,000.

Shrewd.

No wonder they get paid the big bucks
http://recordingindustryvspeople.blo...s-lawyers.html

kepler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 03:18 PM   #2
Sundance Kid V2
Rage3D Spammer

Sundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

They will blame the interweb and pirates for this !!!!

Edit: That is probably what 1 record boss/owner makes in a year
Sundance Kid V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 03:23 PM   #3
sittal
Rage3D Spammer

sittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

wow

Learn to embed videos in your posts, highlight text, and even post code!
sittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 14, 2010, 03:23 PM   #4
mbeeston
Luna'tic Gamer

mbeeston can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymbeeston can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymbeeston can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

fighting a losing battle like this take pure retardation and much rum.. this will continue for a few years.
RIP Joe 'Vengeance' Rupe
"you can't end a good party without someone on the floor" - Yusuke Urameshi
"Intelligence has nothing to do with politics." - ambassador muwlari
"if the ocean was whiskey and i was a duck, i'd swim to the bottom and drink my way up" - crag
mbeeston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 03:31 PM   #5
jimmt
Rock me! Rock me now!

jimmt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjimmt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

If you read any press report from the RIAA their goal for doing this was not about recouping revenue, but education.
Desktop (Gameroom)
Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4|Intel Q9450 (C2Q)|8GB DDR2 800|XFX HD7770 Ultra GDDR5 1GB|Windows 8 Pro
Laptop (Laptop/Tablet Hybrid)
HP Tm2t-2100 [i5-470UM, 8GB DDR3 Ram, AMD Radeon HD5450m/Intel i915 (Switchable Graphics), 500GB HDD]|Windows 8 Pro|Opensuse 12.2
Consoles
Wii|Gamecube|Nintendo 3DS XL|DS|GBA|XBOX|XBOX 360|PS1|PS2|PS3|PSP|DreamCast|Genesis
Libertarian Party '11http://www.lp.org
"What we have today is not a capitalist society, but a mixed economy – that is, a mixture of freedom and controls, which, by the presently dominant trend, is moving toward dictatorship." - A. Rand
"For some reason, the concern seems to be more about keeping people from getting rich or taking away wealth from rich people than it is about growing the economy and putting people to work." - Crawdaddy
jimmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 03:42 PM   #6
HAL10000
Rage3D Spammer

HAL10000 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmt View Post
If you read any press report from the RIAA their goal for doing this was not about recouping revenue, but education.
Education? More like intimidation. $16 million for them is worth it if they feel that they are saving millions of dollars by scaring people into not downloading.

The market can stay irrational longer than you can remain solvent.
HAL10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 03:44 PM   #7
jimmt
Rock me! Rock me now!

jimmt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjimmt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL10000 View Post
Education? More like intimidation. $16 million for them is worth it if they feel that they are saving millions of dollars by scaring people into not downloading.
Scaring people to actually pay for a service they are using. Sounds like education to me.
Desktop (Gameroom)
Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4|Intel Q9450 (C2Q)|8GB DDR2 800|XFX HD7770 Ultra GDDR5 1GB|Windows 8 Pro
Laptop (Laptop/Tablet Hybrid)
HP Tm2t-2100 [i5-470UM, 8GB DDR3 Ram, AMD Radeon HD5450m/Intel i915 (Switchable Graphics), 500GB HDD]|Windows 8 Pro|Opensuse 12.2
Consoles
Wii|Gamecube|Nintendo 3DS XL|DS|GBA|XBOX|XBOX 360|PS1|PS2|PS3|PSP|DreamCast|Genesis
Libertarian Party '11http://www.lp.org
"What we have today is not a capitalist society, but a mixed economy – that is, a mixture of freedom and controls, which, by the presently dominant trend, is moving toward dictatorship." - A. Rand
"For some reason, the concern seems to be more about keeping people from getting rich or taking away wealth from rich people than it is about growing the economy and putting people to work." - Crawdaddy
jimmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 03:45 PM   #8
DorXtar
they're real

DorXtar is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
the RIAA their goal for doing this was not about recouping revenue, but education.
Drive-by shootings are a tool gang members use to educate the public about territorial claims and respek.
(RIAA you so gangsta)
2 Peter 3:3) For YOU know this first, that in the last days there will come ridiculers with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires 4) and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep [in death], all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning.” 5) For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice [...]

8) However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 9) Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.
Like 12Bass says, critical thinking and the scientific method are probably the best tools we have to avoid it. (bias)

However, this method relies on repeatable, falsifiable hypotheses and theories. Only an extremely small spectrum of time and space can be rendered into these, or at least a good approximation of such.

-RFtinkerer

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance... it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking
DorXtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 03:52 PM   #9
sittal
Rage3D Spammer

sittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorXtar View Post
Drive-by shootings are a tool gang members use to educate the public about territorial claims and respek.
(RIAA you so gangsta)

Old Jul 14, 2010, 03:54 PM   #10
Phrygian
Rage3D Veteran

Phrygian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Phrygian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Phrygian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Phrygian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Phrygian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Phrygian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
(RIAA you so gangsta)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bete View Post
I'd bet it would be fun to do him up the ass.
Phrygian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 03:55 PM   #11
kepler
Rage3D Spammer

kepler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkepler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkepler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkepler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkepler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkepler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkepler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkepler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkepler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkepler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Scaring people to actually pay for a service they are using. Sounds like education to me.
Yup, especially when the people they're suing are 12 years old or dead. Sounds like arbitrary extortion to me.
kepler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 04:00 PM   #12
sittal
Rage3D Spammer

gang members often shoot 12 years old and kill people (sometimes they kill dead people to make a point).

Old Jul 14, 2010, 04:22 PM   #13
ShaidarHaran
Rage3D Spammer

ShaidarHaran can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyShaidarHaran can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

16,000,000 million is a lot
Old Jul 14, 2010, 04:23 PM   #14
Adanu
MRA in Residence

Adanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete stranger

jimmt, you're smarter than that... defending the RIAA is akin to defending the mafia.
Adanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 04:49 PM   #15
badboy
RIP Paul Gray

badboy once held a door open for a complete strangerbadboy once held a door open for a complete strangerbadboy once held a door open for a complete strangerbadboy once held a door open for a complete stranger

stupidity... its everywhere

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 05:21 PM   #16
DeathKnight
Rage3D Spammer

DeathKnight can recite pi backwardsDeathKnight can recite pi backwardsDeathKnight can recite pi backwardsDeathKnight can recite pi backwardsDeathKnight can recite pi backwardsDeathKnight can recite pi backwardsDeathKnight can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adanu View Post
jimmt, you're smarter than that... defending the RIAA is akin to defending the mafia.
Well, jimmt has a point. Problem is the RIAA is doing it the wrong way. Bullying, strong-arming, extortion, you name it. They need to get with the flippin' program.
Intel Core i5-2500k @ 4.2GHz | Corsair H50 | MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) | 2 x 4GB G.SKILL DDR3 2133 | Gigabyte GTX 570 | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude | OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD | Maxtor 300GB SATA Ultra16 | Seagate 500GB 32MB SATA2 | WD 640GB Black | Toshiba 2.5" 500GB in eSATA enclosure | Asus DRW-24B1ST DVD/RW drive | Antec P180B w/700w Thermaltake TP modular PSU | Win 7 Pro | 1920x1080 w/LCD TV
HT: Philips 42PFL3603D/27 42" 1080P LCD HDTV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox 360
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Sigma 100-300mm F4 EX APO | Sigma EX APO 1.4x TC | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead

My New Photo Gallery (prints available)
Old Gallery
DeathKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 05:24 PM   #17
HAL10000
Rage3D Spammer

HAL10000 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
The RIAA has no one to blame but themselves for pricing themselves out of the market and fostering an illegal downloading culture that's now rather ingrained.

I shed no tears for the RIAA.

The market can stay irrational longer than you can remain solvent.
HAL10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 05:28 PM   #18
FMT
Rage3D Veteran

FMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Hmmm looks like there following the M.A.D concept quite well.
FMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 05:57 PM   #19
biggerC
Rage3D Veteran

biggerC is still being judged by the masses

that is a good business model. spend more then you get returned.
Canon EOS 60D, Canon EF-S IS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash, Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM
biggerC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 06:18 PM   #20
shrike126

shrike126 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshshrike126 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshshrike126 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshshrike126 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshshrike126 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshshrike126 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshshrike126 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshshrike126 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshshrike126 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Subscriber

If it's about education, why not invest the money in to uh... "educational" programs and such?
Old Jul 14, 2010, 06:21 PM   #21
vertual
Canopus Pure 3D

vertual once held a door open for a complete strangervertual once held a door open for a complete strangervertual once held a door open for a complete stranger

No, it is education.

I've learned that the RIAA business model is a great way to become a millionaire. (as long as your a billionaire when you start the business.)

Also, I've learned that if I want to be rich at everyone elses expense, I will become a lawyer.
vertual is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 06:30 PM   #22
Skynet
Babulerman Apprentice

Skynet kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSkynet kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSkynet kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSkynet kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSkynet kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSkynet kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSkynet kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSkynet kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSkynet kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSkynet kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adanu View Post
Whoa whoa whoa, the Mafia has way more integrity than the RIAA.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 06:39 PM   #23
phial
no things

phial is still being judged by the masses

the legal precidents created may be worth more than the initial funds recovered.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 06:43 PM   #24
Pr3tty F1y
Rage3D Veteran

Pr3tty F1y is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
(RIAA you so gangsta)
Best retort I've see on R3D in some time.

You're dead.
Your friends are dead.
Your family's dead.
Your f**king pets are being skinned alive.
Your mom's a f**king whore.
You suck at life.
The whole world hates you.
You're going to hell.
Live with it.

GAME OVER
Pr3tty F1y is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 08:03 PM   #25
Auric
Bananad

Auric is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
(RIAA you so gangsta)

And if innocent bystanders get shot too then so be it.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 08:10 PM   #26
Cowzrul
Dazed and Confused

Cowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badges

At least someone is investing in education.
Cowzrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 08:18 PM   #27
yoz
The Garbage Man

yoz can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyyoz can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyyoz can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran View Post
16,000,000 million is a lot
lol i know, its either 16 million or 16 000 000.

which one is it OP, WHICH ONE?
  • Play the classics
  • Vista/XP Compatible
[ Stubborn Angel ]
yoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 09:46 PM   #28
gamefoo21
Radeon HD5670 1GB

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I am patiently awaiting the post by Game... it should be... worthy of a BNS...

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:44 PM   #29
KAC
Pussy face to my axe

KAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Owned
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:04 AM   #30
aRandomRobot
Coffee Adict

aRandomRobot is still being judged by the masses

Quote: