Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Mar 1, 2010, 11:04 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

AMD AMD 890GX Power - Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 Review @ Rage3D.com

Rage3D is pleased to present the new AMD 890GX chipset, aimed to conquer the mainstream market and deliver superb value with their Athlon II and Phenom II processors. Join us as we review the ASUS implementation, namely the M4A89GTD PRO/USB3.

AMD 890GX Power - Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 Review
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:12 AM   #2
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

Thanks for the review, rather nice and this looks like what I am looking for on my next upgrade. I am wondering what the X6 AMD chips will run. Maybe best to wait on the X6?
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:53 AM   #3
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

4.5 out of 5 for a mobo that has a damn Crossfire "dongle/card" .. I guess R3D is just too easy to please or too happy to hand out good grades. In today's age thats a serious flaw IMO.. my 790GX is able to use either top or bottom PCIe slot without the need for a "GPU Blanking Card" and really ATI's IGP while still impressive against it's competition is rather stale.. it's almost as bad as NV and their damn renaming fiasco.. 4290 .. pfft it's a glorified 785 which is nothing more than a 790 with DX10.1 which is nothing more than a relabeled 3000 series IGP which is a relabeled HD2400 .. I mean damn ATI has finally reached NV's level of renaming/repackaging and of course nearly ALL sites gloss over this but harp on when NV does it.. sad. Then the issue of poor CFX performance.. in all but one game FC2, does the IGP+Discrete actually yield any note worthy difference, most others it shows no gain or worse yet actually impairs performance. No raid/sata 6 comparison.. no USB 3.0 results.. the features that truly set this board apart and no review.

Ok review.. highly disagree with the rating.. just comes up waayyy to short.. I'd give it a 3.5 at best.

Edit: Ok I'll give it a 3.6 for the inclusion of the IDE port and removal of the FDD port.

Last edited by @md_Guy : Mar 2, 2010 at 01:28 AM.
@md_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 2, 2010, 03:22 AM   #4
SteadVéx
Radeon Sea Islands

SteadVéx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySteadVéx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I was excited until I read about the IGP + 5450 performance, I also thought the whole point of that was so you can turn off the dedicated card to save power + heat, reading the article seeing its always on just put me off the idea, also the lack of AA, I know its budget but having lower res to give better fps and a smoothing with AA, I dunno, I guess I expect too much

I was also wondering about the lack of tests with the USB n what not

That aside, its an interested product
SteadVéx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 07:28 AM   #5
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Crisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I am looking at the MSI version of this baord right now and I am left a little wanting.
  • The onboard graphics are a mild step above the 790GX, nothing really impressive here.
  • SATA3 is a joke for now. The two released spindle drives still do not approach SATA2 speeds. This will only be impressive when SSDs come up to speed and drop in price. For now it adds nothing to the value of a mainstream board.
  • USB3 would be impressive if you got more than 2 slots. Since it is backward compatabile why not make the whole thing USB3?
Don't get me wrong it was time for a new chipset and this one is a solid step forward but it is only a step not a leap.

If I where to buy a new motherboard today I would look for one with the new chipset first but it would not deter me from buying a 790 or 770 if the savings where big enough.

#SapphireNation
Crisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 07:36 AM   #6
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Thanks for the feedback guys.

R.E. no USB 3 or SATA 3 tests - I don't have sata 3 or usb 3 devices, so nothing to test. I also had to cut features out of my article, given unrelated hardware issues and time constraints.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:22 AM   #7
erek
Banned

erek is still being judged by the masses

When do these boards hit Retail outlets such as NewEgg?
erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:27 AM   #8
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

should be imminent.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 03:28 PM   #9
Ichneumon
Lord of the Flies

Ichneumon is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisler View Post
  • USB3 would be impressive if you got more than 2 slots. Since it is backward compatabile why not make the whole thing USB3?
I've not looked in to this at all but I suspect it has to do with total available bandwidth. Putting together a design that accounts for bandwidth of 2 x USB3 ports @ 4.8Gbps plus a bunch at 400Mbps is a lot easier, or at least more practical at this moment than for 12 x 4.8Gbps ports.

Besides I don't need 4Gbps for my keyboard... yet.

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. "
- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
Ichneumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 03:40 PM   #10
erek
Banned

erek is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichneumon View Post
I've not looked in to this at all but I suspect it has to do with total available bandwidth. Putting together a design that accounts for bandwidth of 2 x USB3 ports @ 4.8Gbps plus a bunch at 400Mbps is a lot easier, or at least more practical at this moment than for 12 x 4.8Gbps ports.

Besides I don't need 4Gbps for my keyboard... yet.
how many Gigabits of data per second can you type out anyhow? (just curious)
erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 03:55 PM   #11
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

If we go with the USB 3.0 controller (2 port) needing two PCIe 2.0 lanes for full speed, i.e. 500MB/sec or 4Gbps bandwidth per port, to have 12 full USB 3.0 ports would require ~12 PCIe 2.0 lanes. So you could have a motherboard with a single PEG slot at x16 and 12 USB 3.0, and nothing else.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 04:34 PM   #12
Tizen
Custom User Title

Tizen is still being judged by the masses

Thanks for trying out ACC
Old Mar 2, 2010, 05:09 PM   #13
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

I think it was mentioned but I'll spell it out.. ACC (AOD??) has apparently been disabled in the SB850 (not sure of other SB8xx).. this means it's up to motherboard makers to add a means of "Core Unlocking". As pointed out in this review Asus has a onboard switch (core_unlocker) for unlocking additional "hidden" cores. There is also a MemOK! button (for finding compatible memory settings and a Turbo _II key for "auto tuning" your system.

So IF you are looking at a 890 AMD mobo (with SB8xx) and want to unlock cores, make sure the motherboard maker specifically mentions it or you're most likely SOL.

SO far
(YES)
ASUS M4A89GTD-PRO-USB3 (via core_unlocker switch)
ASRock 890GX Extreme3 (via UCC - Unlock CPU Core)

(NO)
GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H
ECS A890GXM-A
Old Mar 2, 2010, 05:13 PM   #14
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

Asrock UCC YT Vid

Old Mar 2, 2010, 05:58 PM   #15
Ichneumon
Lord of the Flies

Ichneumon is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by erek View Post
how many Gigabits of data per second can you type out anyhow? (just curious)
You know... for when each key is capped with its own HD video capable oled screen streaming real-time information and interface changes depending on what I'm interacting with in game... or something like that

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. "
- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
Ichneumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 06:57 PM   #16
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

Question: Does ATI/AMD's removal of ACC from the SB8xx family mean that AOD utility no longer works? Wasn't ACC part of the requirement for AMD OverDrive ?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 07:49 PM   #17
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

No, AOD works and a new version was posted today for use with 890GX boards.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 01:23 PM   #18
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

890GX in stock at newegg
Old Mar 4, 2010, 01:26 PM   #19
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
890GX in stock at newegg
nice that its in stock but nothing worth replacing my Asrcok 790GX-128.. and 790GX prices are as low as half the price.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 01:28 PM   #20
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Well, I didn't post that link specifically for you...
Old Mar 4, 2010, 02:25 PM   #21
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I'll see what AMD has come Bulldozer time. Love the stability as always from AMD chipsets.
However, I'm turned off by this board going to dual 8x for crossfire. Kind of lame there.
Sound_Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2010, 03:09 PM   #22
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Why?
Old Mar 4, 2010, 05:13 PM   #23
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

Quote:
Why?
because 16 > 8

with all the Intel x55 chipset users who are stuck at using 8X/8X and the added cost of going 1366 for dual 16x most seem happy to give up the 4% performance difference for the $ savings. I suppose of someone really wants dual 16X they could go FX chipset.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 12:57 AM   #24
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Why?
I like buying a mobo and sticking with it for a good few years at least. Feature set is highly important. When I'm considering a new mobo and an AMD at that, I have the right to be a bit concerned when the possibility of me sticking a couple of HD 6850's on the mobo are pretty good. If that does not saturate the bus, what about GPU's after that? Like I said, the platform has got to last.
Sound_Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 04:20 AM   #25
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

But this is the GX version, with the onboard graphics. As far as i know, only the FX provides true 16x/16x PCIE for dual crossfire.

And I think the GX models are supposed to be the budget chipset.....(even though it doesnt appear to be the case with the 890gx)
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + Asus Dual Radeon RX 6600
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 07:01 AM   #26
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

890GX is mainstream, 890FX will be enthusiast, there will likely be a lower priced single PCIe with integrated graphics version (like the 770).

As far as 6850's saturating the bus, it's not an issue for as you're gonna be CPU limited anyway.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 07:19 AM   #27
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

it still kills me that my trust Socket 939 Abit AT8 32X is still loaded with features that make many other main stream boards envious (dual 16x PCI, 6x SATA 3.0 Raid (RAID 0/1/0+1/5), 7.1 HD Audio, support for up to 16GB DDR, GBe, ULI 1575 SB , optical audio so on and so on.. ) and the ONLY reason it lays dormant was AMD's decision to kill of S939... makes a great back up system though with my trusty Opty 165 ;-)
Old Mar 5, 2010, 07:42 AM   #28
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

Quote:
890GX is mainstream, 890FX will be enthusiast, there will likely be a lower priced single PCIe with integrated graphics version (like the 770).

As far as 6850's saturating the bus, it's not an issue for as you're gonna be CPU limited anyway.
I wouldn't be too sure... with the way Eyefinity works according to AMD (tech report podcast - around the 6:00 mark iirc), the crossfire bridges don't supply enough bandwidth for CFX+Eyefinity so they need to pass data over the PCIe bus... so I could see 5870s (2GB) being able to saturate the bus.. (12MP + FSAA + Triple Buffering) then IF ATI adds 3D in to the equation it could get real messy...
Old Mar 5, 2010, 07:44 AM   #29
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

There was also the small matter of having a virtualization capable chipset and support for DDR2... and I think you meant 6xSATA 2 RAID, SATA 3 is pretty new. SATA 3.0 was never used as an official descriptor for SATA 2, despite the support for 3Gbps. How much was your AT8 32X, new?

People who buy dual 5870's for Eyefinity will tend to buy systems that address the rest of their concerns as well, but yes, if someone has dual 2GB cards running FSAA and quad buffered (Stereo3D) you might run into B/W issues. You'll run into CPU throughput issues first, but B/W will be a problem too.

Last edited by caveman-jim : Mar 5, 2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 07:59 AM   #30
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

Quote:
There was also the small matter of having a virtualization capable chipset and support for DDR2... and I think you meant 6xSATA 2 RAID, SATA 3 is pretty new. SATA 3.0 was never used as an official descriptor for SATA 2, despite the support for 3Gbps. How much was your AT8 32X, new?

People who buy dual 5870's for Eyefinity will tend to buy systems that address the rest of their concerns as well, but yes, if someone has dual 2GB cards running FSAA and quad buffered (Stereo3D) you might run into B/W issues. You'll run into CPU throughput issues first, but B/W will be a problem too.
whooops ya... SATA 2.0 (3 GB/s)

Um I think it was the most expensive Mobo I've bought.. about $150 +SH. maybe $ 165 ish. Kind of weird seeing as my fav Socket A board was the Abit KT7A-Raid .. had IDE 133 HPT chipset.. probally the finest Via (I know I know) 333 chipset board imo.. could have upto 12 IDE devices.. the Raid I think was just about every conceivable IDE combination possible, particularly when I was able to insert updated Raid Roms into the BIOS,.. I think RAID 0/1/0+1/5/10. Was still running up until 6 months ago when I finally upgraded my inlaws to an old A64 3800+ .. from the 1Ghz OC'd to 1.33Ghz then I think might have had a barton in it for a while. Abit pretty much started the whole OCing thing IMO with their BX chipsets that allowed Celery OCing.