Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming Forums » PC Gaming » PC Gaming Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Support The Rage3D community looks forward to helping you find a solution to the problems you're having with PC games, old and new.

"

Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:51 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Hidavi
Beep Boop Beep

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default Fallout 3 constant crashing

I downloaded this home-made fix that made the game more stable, but still, half the time whenever I try to save or use the VAT system, the game just crashes to the desktop.

Someone said it might be my codecs, so I unistalled all 3rd party codecs (cept for divx) and still crashes a lot.

Its a fun game, but I'm growing tired of all the crashing...
Old Feb 26, 2010, 11:24 PM   #2
BababooeyHTJ
Rage3D Veteran

BababooeyHTJ once held a door open for a complete strangerBababooeyHTJ once held a door open for a complete strangerBababooeyHTJ once held a door open for a complete strangerBababooeyHTJ once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidavi View Post
I downloaded this home-made fix that made the game more stable, but still, half the time whenever I try to save or use the VAT system, the game just crashes to the desktop.

Someone said it might be my codecs, so I unistalled all 3rd party codecs (cept for divx) and still crashes a lot.

Its a fun game, but I'm growing tired of all the crashing...
Have you tried the Fallout 3 Unofficial Patch?

People have also found that disabling two cores can help in FO3. It never made a difference for me though since my instabilities were always mod related. If you google fallout 3 quad core fix you should be able to find out what you need to edit in the ini. Might be worth a shot.

I've played around with quite a few mods but never heard of a home made fix for FO3.

Oh, I see that your running a Nvidia GPU. Their drivers have been flaky for FO3 recently. With the latest WHQL I can run the game fine as long as I don't use AA which is better than past drivers.

Last edited by BababooeyHTJ : Feb 26, 2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:09 AM   #3
Hidavi
Beep Boop Beep

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Thanks for the info about the patch man! I was able to play for 40 minutes without a single crash, although now the game doesn't run as smoothly (had to turn down the AA from 4x to 2x to get my old 60fps avg back) but the game is ugly anyways so it doesn't matter

But I still can't alt+tab out without the game not coming back. Any fix for that?
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 28, 2010, 09:42 AM   #4
BababooeyHTJ
Rage3D Veteran

BababooeyHTJ once held a door open for a complete strangerBababooeyHTJ once held a door open for a complete strangerBababooeyHTJ once held a door open for a complete strangerBababooeyHTJ once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Thanks for the info about the patch man! I was able to play for 40 minutes without a single crash, although now the game doesn't run as smoothly (had to turn down the AA from 4x to 2x to get my old 60fps avg back) but the game is ugly anyways so it doesn't matter

But I still can't alt+tab out without the game not coming back. Any fix for that?
Have you tried just turning AA off? If you are seeing a stutter when looking up at the sky this will help. It did wonders for me. You could also try Fallout Stutter Remover, it gets rid of that odd "stutter" that the engine has.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:55 AM   #5
Hidavi
Beep Boop Beep

Wow, yeah I have that problem too! Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2010, 01:06 PM   #6
BababooeyHTJ
Rage3D Veteran

I just saw this post in the Guru3d drivers section about Nvidia's latest WHQL that just got released today (196.75) and figured that you might be interested.

Quote:
tested with my GTX260, a nice gain of 3fps in Crysis, 2 in FC2, no change in HAWX however for me.

oh and at last the hitching in FO3 is gone, the only drivers that worked flawlessly were the amazing 186.18 whql, the same exact places that used to hitch now don't.

however i get some random flickering shadows in Resident Evil 5 with these, i completed the game and was about to uninstall it so i don't care.

testing some more and will report but so far performance is good.
Might be worth a shot.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 03:08 PM   #7
Hidavi
Beep Boop Beep

Yeah I upgraded to those drivers yesterday and the hitching is, in fact, gone!
Old Mar 7, 2010, 03:52 PM   #8
BababooeyHTJ
Rage3D Veteran

You may want to check out the 196.75 drivers killing gpus thread. I've rolled back for the time being.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:14 PM   #9
Hidavi
Beep Boop Beep

Yeah I saw that, but I've gamed like 15 hours with them and no problems. Then again, my computer only has one single fan for all the chips and components, its not NVidia driven.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 08:10 PM   #10
Hidavi
Beep Boop Beep

After installing the Broken Steel DLC, the studdering is back and the performance has dropped outdoors. What to do?
Old Mar 19, 2010, 04:35 PM   #11
BababooeyHTJ
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
After installing the Broken Steel DLC, the studdering is back and the performance has dropped outdoors. What to do?
That probably has to do with your mod load order. DLC works like a mod and you are using the Unoffical Patch so there is probably some overrides going on. You should download Fallout Mod Manager. It will let you set which .esm and .esp files load in what order. There is also a program called BOSS for Fallout 3 (Better Oblivion Sorting Software) which will sort out your load order automatically if you don't feel like using FOMM to sort it out manually.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 04:47 PM   #12
Hidavi
Beep Boop Beep

Yeah I used FOMM and it showed that I had to load the unofficial patch for the DLC seperately so I did. Problem solved! Thanks again
Old Mar 19, 2010, 06:12 PM   #13
Rockshocker
Rage3D Veteran

Rockshocker is still being judged by the masses

Thanks that seems to have fixed my crashing as well!
Old May 6, 2010, 02:14 PM   #14
lumpyhed
nyannyannyannyan

lumpyhed can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultylumpyhed can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultylumpyhed can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
People have also found that disabling two cores can help in FO3. It never made a difference for me though since my instabilities were always mod related. If you google fallout 3 quad core fix you should be able to find out what you need to edit in the ini. Might be worth a shot.
I've been having epic issues with the game freezing after a random time on internal 'shack' cells. Tried running with procmon to see what was happening at the time - inconclusive. I use lots of mods so i dumped the lot and started the game afresh - still happening!

The ini fix has fixed this for me though

Quote:
Open up the fallout.ini file in: My Documents\My Games\Fallout3
Find the line:

bUseThreadedAI=0

change it to:

bUseThreadedAI=1

Add another line after it and insert:

iNumHWThreads=2

This will limit the game to 2 cores and prevent the engine bug from causing the game to freeze.

Considering i've played this in the distant past just fine on my same setup with 3D enabled i can't work out what would have changed besides the version of fallout. I thought it was the script extender as that hooks into the main binary, but this tweak to the ini keeps it running fine. I still get the odd crash to desktop when transitioning to new outdoor cells, but i recall having that since day one its alot better than not being able to play at all though!
Old May 6, 2010, 02:24 PM   #15
draz
Radeon HD 6770

draz is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Try this: http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=45

For some people it has also reduced crashing, including yours truly.
Old May 8, 2010, 06:48 AM   #16
BababooeyHTJ
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpyhed View Post
I've been having epic issues with the game freezing after a random time on internal 'shack' cells. Tried running with procmon to see what was happening at the time - inconclusive. I use lots of mods so i dumped the lot and started the game afresh - still happening!

The ini fix has fixed this for me though

Considering i've played this in the distant past just fine on my same setup with 3D enabled i can't work out what would have changed besides the version of fallout. I thought it was the script extender as that hooks into the main binary, but this tweak to the ini keeps it running fine. I still get the odd crash to desktop when transitioning to new outdoor cells, but i recall having that since day one its alot better than not being able to play at all though!
That seems to work for a lot of people but I have always run FO3 on a quad and never had any issues. That game can be very fickle, that is for sure. At least a modded install runs better for me that I have ever managed with Oblivion.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 06:38 PM   #17
Beak
Rage3D Veteran

Beak is still being judged by the masses

Heres a performance booster for anyone with more than 2gb ram in your pc and for some of you that lost your sounds in game heres another fix. Id still just reinstall everything if you loose your sounds theres no telling in my case why i was crashing maybe quad cpu did it ?

Ini fix above worked for me its still not perfect but i can play long enough not to complain.

Foss_loader -Ram Boost.
http://fose.silverlock.org/

ac3filter - Will repair loss of ingame sound very easy to use.
http://ac3filter.net/projects/ac3filter

/QUOTE,: Open up the AC3Filter Config, (search for it if you don't see it) then once you have it open, go up to the tab marked System. There, you will see the Filter Merit. If you have "Prefer Ac3filter" and get stutters in the game, select Prefer Other Decoder. Test it.

If it still stutters, or does something else strange, open up the Ac3 config again, go back to the System tab, and underneath the "Default Audio Renderer" select the opposite of what you have. So if you have Use Direct Sound by default selected, then select Use Wave Out by Default, instead. I had to use Use Direct Sound, but I have seen that other folks need to check use Wave Out, probably because they have another audio program that is manipulating the way the sound would work by default.