Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Computing Forums » Operating Systems
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Operating Systems Discussion topics on operating systems including all iterations of Windows, MacOS, BeOS, etc.

"

Old Feb 16, 2010, 08:36 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Destroy
Rage3D Spammer

Destroy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDestroy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default Windows repair function question

Running dual boot XP and Vista64 on separate hard drives, Fat32 and NTFS respectively.

XP hard drive seems to have gotten corrupt and is comes up with missing system32/config files. I can boot to Vista64 but when at desktop my XP hd is not present, findable or recognizable.

If I boot from my XP install DVD and try a repair, will my Vista64 boot stay intact? I'm guessing that the XP DVD repair process will not recognize that I'm running a new OS in dual boot and mess it up, correct? I do NOT wish to lose my Vista64 install at this time.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 08:46 AM   #2
plasmafish
ionized

plasmafish is still being judged by the masses

I believe by default with Windows installs, the last installed OS, overwrites the last installed OS' boot loader.

I usually install Linux last and have Linux's GRUB loader take care of all my multi-boot purposes.

But yeah, don't take any chances and do some more research.
plasmafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:10 AM   #3
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty@md_Guy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty@md_Guy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
Running dual boot XP and Vista64 on separate hard drives, Fat32 and NTFS respectively.

XP hard drive seems to have gotten corrupt and is comes up with missing system32/config files. I can boot to Vista64 but when at desktop my XP hd is not present, findable or recognizable.

If I boot from my XP install DVD and try a repair, will my Vista64 boot stay intact? I'm guessing that the XP DVD repair process will not recognize that I'm running a new OS in dual boot and mess it up, correct? I do NOT wish to lose my Vista64 install at this time.

Download either EasyBCD or VistaBoot Pro (free edition.. don't pay for newer one). I think .Net is required but you should have it installed anywho..

you can backup you current boot configuration, restore or fix/repair to get back your Vista boot-loader after repair/reinstalling XP
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:28 PM   #4
Destroy
Rage3D Spammer

Destroy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDestroy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Meh. After many different things tried, I could not save or repair my XP boot. Something is too far gone in the hard drive, it keeps hanging. So now I'm Vista64 only till I do a major MB/computer upgrade where I'll reformat and reinstall everything.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 12:04 AM   #5
ShaidarHaran
Rage3D Spammer

ShaidarHaran can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyShaidarHaran can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

The error message you're receiving indicates a corrupt registry. Try repairing it using these steps.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 02:42 AM   #6
Dyre Straits
Rage3D Veteran

Dyre Straits is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post

Avoiding problems with possible corruption of multi-boot systems and loaders is why I simply install each OS on a separate HDD without any other HDDs connected. This way, if I want to boot into XP, I simply go to BIOS and change my boot disk. Same if I want to go to Vista or W7. Each OS is on its own HDD. With HDDs being so cheap these days, for me, anyway, it's worth it to just have separate physical HDDs to work with.

Good luck on your situation!
~Windows 7 x64 Professional~Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H~Intel I7-3770K~8x2 GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistic 1600 RAM (Dual Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX HD 7970 3 GB GDDR5~3 ViewSonic 24 inch LCDs in Eyefinity~SATA Dual Layer DVD RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~Windows 7 Pro x64~AND....250 GB XBOX 360~

Quote:
If you have an issue with what you said, please resolve it in private ;)
Dyre Straits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 09:19 AM   #7
Destroy
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyre Straits View Post
Avoiding problems with possible corruption of multi-boot systems and loaders is why I simply install each OS on a separate HDD without any other HDDs connected. This way, if I want to boot into XP, I simply go to BIOS and change my boot disk. Same if I want to go to Vista or W7. Each OS is on its own HDD. With HDDs being so cheap these days, for me, anyway, it's worth it to just have separate physical HDDs to work with.

Good luck on your situation!
That's a good way of doing things. I will try this on my next system refresh.