Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Off-Topic Forums » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

"

Old Jan 23, 2010, 01:24 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
erek
Banned

erek is still being judged by the masses

Joystick Better gamers have bigger brains, Fact.

Study shows that better gamers have bigger brains, are better learners too

While we can't say for sure that videogames, as your grandmother insists, do indeed rot your brain, thanks to research conducted at a variety of Universities around the States we know that better gamers tend to have more gray matter than others -- at least in certain areas. Kirk Erickson, Ann Graybiel, Arthur Kramer, and Walter Boot worked together to form a study in which 39 participants' brains were scanned before those subjects were asked to play a game called Space Fortress (which looks a little like an Atari-era Geometry Wars). Players with larger nucleus accumbens did better learning the game early on, while those with larger caudate nucleus and putamen did better at playing with distractions. There was no sign that playing games actually increased the size of those areas of the brains, meaning some people are just born with a Power Glove on -- and that it's only a matter of time before MRIs replace aptitude tests

Source: Engadget
erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 01:26 PM   #2
bounty_hunter
Rage3D Spammer

bounty_hunter is still being judged by the masses

Don't encourage this, I like gaming but there are infintely better things to do that don't involve sitting at home infront of a tv or monitor

system sepcs: Ultra X-Finity 500W ATX PS w/2 80mm Fans-Athlon-64 3400+ - GigaByte K8NS nForce-3 250 Chipset- ATI Radeon X800-Pro 256MB-Western Digital 200 GB 7200 RPM-dvd 16x-sony dvd rw dw-d22a
once in the 70's i tried boy scout cookies, they tasted weird and confusing. -logen
bounty_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 01:27 PM   #3
erek
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounty_hunter View Post
Don't encourage this, I like gaming but there are infintely better things to do that don't involve sitting at home infront of a tv or monitor
Like what?
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 23, 2010, 01:29 PM   #4
caveman-jim
King of Rage3D

caveman-jim is not someone to be trifled withcaveman-jim is not someone to be trifled withcaveman-jim is not someone to be trifled withcaveman-jim is not someone to be trifled withcaveman-jim is not someone to be trifled withcaveman-jim is not someone to be trifled withcaveman-jim is not someone to be trifled withcaveman-jim is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounty_hunter View Post
It said that people with bigger brains are better gamers, not that those whom are good at gaming develop bigger brains.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 01:30 PM   #5
riho
Taking a break

riho can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyriho can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Bigger brain doesn't equal a smarter person, Fact!
riho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 01:33 PM   #6
erek
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by riho View Post
Bigger brain doesn't equal a smarter person, Fact!
that's false
Old Jan 23, 2010, 01:37 PM   #7
riho
Taking a break

riho can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyriho can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by erek View Post
that's false
No, I'm sorry it's just not that simple.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 01:46 PM   #8
erek
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by riho View Post
No, I'm sorry it's just not that simple.
there's an article that does race coorelation to intelligence, and apparently the races with smaller brains are less smart overall
Old Jan 23, 2010, 01:48 PM   #9
Jokerzwild
Rage3D Veteran

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
there's an article that does race coorelation to intelligence, and apparently the races with smaller brains are less smart overall
Which races have smaller brains?
Old Jan 23, 2010, 01:52 PM   #10
riho
Taking a break

Quote:
There's an article for everything.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 01:53 PM   #11
erek
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerzwild View Post
Which races have smaller brains?
unfortunately, my race [as is revealed by my Avatar]

Last edited by erek : Jan 23, 2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 01:59 PM   #12
bounty_hunter
Rage3D Spammer

bounty_hunter is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
It said that people with bigger brains are better gamers, not that those whom are good at gaming develop bigger brains.
oops misread, so now gamers can hold themselves in higher esteem infront of the glow of their monitor

system sepcs: Ultra X-Finity 500W ATX PS w/2 80mm Fans-Athlon-64 3400+ - GigaByte K8NS nForce-3 250 Chipset- ATI Radeon X800-Pro 256MB-Western Digital 200 GB 7200 RPM-dvd 16x-sony dvd rw dw-d22a
once in the 70's i tried boy scout cookies, they tasted weird and confusing. -logen
bounty_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 02:03 PM   #13
erek
Banned

Old Jan 23, 2010, 02:19 PM   #14
Zero
Sass hole

Zero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicknight0233 View Post
Is that attempted lesbian girlsechs I see?
lesbian rapesechs

"Optimists believe this is the best of all possible worlds. Pessimists fear that it is true."
-Robert Oppenheimer

"I love my dog. But my doctor say we cannot make babies. I guess we'll adopt children and just have sechs."
-SpongeBebop, Rage3D 2003

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the group. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friederich Nietzsche on James Crivellone

Antec P180B
Asus P5Q-Deluxe
Intel Q9550 (400x8.5 1.25v stock HSF)
Corsair HX620
4GB Mushkin XP2 DDR2 PC-8500 (500 5-5-5-2)
EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
250GB Maxtor
NEC 3500A + LG 8162B
HP w2408 24" LCD
Logitech EasyCall Desktop KB + Mouse
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

Asus M50SV-A1
15.4" LCD 1440x900
T9300 2.5GHz 6MB Cache VM-enabled
4GB DDR2 800MHz
Nvidia 9500M GS
320GB WD Scorpio
8x DL DVD-RW
Realtek HD Audio
802.11 Draft-N / BT 2.1
HDMI audio-capable output

Silverstone LC-17B
EVGA 780i
C2D e6600 2.4GHz
OCZ GameXStrem 700W
ATI 4770 1GB
500GB Western Digital + 250GB Maxtor HDs
Samsung 50" PN50C550 Plasma TV

Dark Knight Modded Xbox 360 Premium (Launch)
XBox 360 RE5 Elite (Jasper)
Xbox 360 Arcade (Jasper)
PS3 60GB
Black Wii w/ wiikey
NDS Onyx

+1 bazillion games
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 02:20 PM   #15
Zero
Sass hole

Zero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
I guess if you believe that, it must be true...

"Optimists believe this is the best of all possible worlds. Pessimists fear that it is true."
-Robert Oppenheimer

"I love my dog. But my doctor say we cannot make babies. I guess we'll adopt children and just have sechs."
-SpongeBebop, Rage3D 2003

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the group. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friederich Nietzsche on James Crivellone

Antec P180B
Asus P5Q-Deluxe
Intel Q9550 (400x8.5 1.25v stock HSF)
Corsair HX620
EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
250GB Maxtor
NEC 3500A + LG 8162B
HP w2408 24" LCD
Logitech EasyCall Desktop KB + Mouse

Asus M50SV-A1
15.4" LCD 1440x900
T9300 2.5GHz 6MB Cache VM-enabled
4GB DDR2 800MHz
Nvidia 9500M GS
320GB WD Scorpio
8x DL DVD-RW
Realtek HD Audio
802.11 Draft-N / BT 2.1
HDMI audio-capable output

Silverstone LC-17B
EVGA 780i
C2D e6600 2.4GHz
OCZ GameXStrem 700W
ATI 4770 1GB
500GB Western Digital + 250GB Maxtor HDs
Samsung 50" PN50C550 Plasma TV

Dark Knight Modded Xbox 360 Premium (Launch)
XBox 360 RE5 Elite (Jasper)
Xbox 360 Arcade (Jasper)
PS3 60GB
Black Wii w/ wiikey
NDS Onyx

+1 bazillion games
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 02:24 PM   #16
ThirdEye
Déjà vu

ThirdEye has a basement full of buried neg-reppersThirdEye has a basement full of buried neg-reppersThirdEye has a basement full of buried neg-reppersThirdEye has a basement full of buried neg-reppersThirdEye has a basement full of buried neg-reppersThirdEye has a basement full of buried neg-reppersThirdEye has a basement full of buried neg-reppersThirdEye has a basement full of buried neg-reppersThirdEye has a basement full of buried neg-reppersThirdEye has a basement full of buried neg-reppersThirdEye has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
unfortunately, my race [as is revealed by my Avatar]
Keep feeling sorry for yourself ******. Why do you trust whites anyway, or any other race for that matter, whatever race is, a word that shouldn't exist along with death.

Last edited by ThirdEye : Jan 23, 2010 at 02:26 PM.
ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 03:21 PM   #17
erek
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Keep feeling sorry for yourself ******. Why do you trust whites anyway, or any other race for that matter, whatever race is, a word that shouldn't exist along with death.
i'm .475 white, .475 black, and .025 indian

i don't believe that the race coorelating to brain size and intelligence article was more than a novel research article that used to exist on wikipedia, but was cited as having numerous problems and has subsequently been removed...

one of the factors is that context is a clue as to intelligence, and because a large population of blacks aren't members of a highly advanced 1st world country could be a large impact into why they don't know much about the information in the tests they are given. (ie. they don't have the same opportunity to know as much in comparison to others)
Old Jan 23, 2010, 03:59 PM   #18
Jokerzwild
Rage3D Veteran

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

I wonder where one buys a man-sized Pikachu outfit?
Old Jan 23, 2010, 04:15 PM   #19
Cartigan
Banned

Cartigan is still being judged by the masses

Cartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 04:21 PM   #20
erek
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartigan View Post
his facial expressions fail to capture any essence of the joke at hand
Old Jan 23, 2010, 04:30 PM   #21
Cartigan
Banned

Quote:
his facial expressions fail to capture any essence of the joke at hand
You don't get the joke.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 05:00 PM   #22
erek
Banned

Quote:
You don't get the joke.
you are the one who does not get the joke. he definitely is not overly excited about GH compared to the girls, as his facial expressions are relaxed. if anything the fact that he's calm and that they are even in the same place as him reveals that he has probably experienced at least one of them.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 05:19 PM   #23
Cartigan
Banned

Quote:
you are the one who does not get the joke. he definitely is not overly excited about GH compared to the girls, as his facial expressions are relaxed. if anything the fact that he's calm and that they are even in the same place as him reveals that he has probably experienced at least one of them.

Reference:
http://www.sahbeewah.com/image_repos...rama-is-on.jpg
http://www.demotivateus.com/posters/...al-poster1.jpg

Now go away.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 06:18 PM   #24
phial
no things

phial is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
hahaha no that's not exactly how it works.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 06:34 PM   #25
Cowzrul
Dazed and Confused

Cowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badges

The only thing the study proved is that smart people can learn how to play a game faster, and people who aren't distracted easily can play better when distracted. Useless study is useless.
Cowzrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 06:37 PM   #26
Cartigan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowzrul View Post
The only thing the study proved is that smart people can learn how to play a game faster, and people who aren't distracted easily can play better when distracted. Useless study is useless.
From what I read about the study, they were using a game that sounded suspiciously like Asteroids as some sort of really difficult game to learn because it had *gasp* ZERO GRAVITY
Old Jan 23, 2010, 06:56 PM   #27
erek
Banned

Quote:
Now go away.
it's obvious that you don't get the joke, and will hold on to every last bit of sarcasm, satire, and meme (from fail through epic fail to any other bastadisation) to prove yourself right.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 06:59 PM   #28
Cartigan
Banned

Quote:
it's obvious that you don't get the joke, and will hold on to every last bit of sarcasm, satire, and meme (from fail through epic fail to any other bastadisation) to prove yourself right.
You halfwit, I don't give a rat's ass what or even IF there was a joke in the picture. I am making a joke BASED ON the picture in the same style as OTHER jokes.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 07:04 PM   #29
Shapeshifter
Rage3D Veteran

Shapeshifter knows why the caged bird singsShapeshifter knows why the caged bird singsShapeshifter knows why the caged bird singsShapeshifter knows why the caged bird singsShapeshifter knows why the caged bird singsShapeshifter knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
You halfwit, I don't give a rat's ass what or even IF there was a joke in the picture. I am making a joke BASED ON the picture in the same style as OTHER jokes.
They are japenese, the girls are obviously fighting over him, how many japenese guys own a man sized picakhu suit and guitar hero over there?......

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 07:05 PM   #30
erek
Banned

Quote:
pfft,
(i just hope that you don't dislike me based on this particular thread)

to explain, my responses to you have been encouraged by your insulting approach and delivery