Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Computing Forums » Operating Systems
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Operating Systems Discussion topics on operating systems including all iterations of Windows, MacOS, BeOS, etc.

"

Old Oct 23, 2009, 04:44 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
genci88
lololololol

genci88 is still being judged by the masses

Default Here's how to install Windows 7 upgrade on a blank hard drive.

Sorry if it's been posted here before, but apparently it's possible to install 7 upgrade on a clean sytem (without the need of a previous Windows version):

I was so hoping to have better news to share, but with all the conflicting reports and my own troubles testing this while on the road, it's been a messy 24 hours. However, after staying up late last night and working through a few different scenarios, I think I do have a (fairly) simple way to clean install Windows 7 with Upgrade media. That is, it should be easier than the old "install it twice" hack that I previously documented for Vista (though that should still work as well).

Put simply, the goal here is to clean install Windows 7 on a virgin, unused PC. You can boot and run Setup with the Upgrade media for Windows 7, but when you go to activate, it won't work.

Thanks to Kevin Fisher and a bit of testing, I have a simple workaround that does work.

After performing the clean install, ensure that there are no Windows Updates pending that would require a system reboot. (You'll see an orange shield icon next to Shutdown in the Start Menu if this is the case).

Then, open regedit.exe with Start Menu Search and navigate to:

HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/

Change MediaBootInstall from "1" to "0".

Open the Start Menu again and type cmd to display a shortcut to the Command Line utility. Right-click this shortcut and choose "Run as administrator." Handle the UAC prompt.

In the command line window, type: slmgr /rearm

Then tap ENTER, close the command line window and reboot. When Windows 7 reboots, run the Activate Windows utility, type in your product key and activate windows.

Voila!

A couple of notes here.

Others have reported that simply installing Windows 7 using Upgrade Media and then activating just works. It certainly doesn't hurt to try this, but my guess is that there was a version of Windows on the hard drive that Setup detected, thus making the install and activation work properly.

I have not tested this yet, but I assume if you launch Setup from within your previous version of Windows, choose Custom, reboot, and then wipe out the previous Windows version during Setup, that that will work as well.

And I'm just about positive that the old "install twice" hack from Vista will work too.

I will test all of this thoroughly when I get home. But for now I wanted to cut through the baloney and cut and paste jobs out there and give you something that really does work.

Again, thanks very much to Kevin for this information.

http://community.winsupersite.com/bl...he-answer.aspx

- The hardest thing about getting a Mac is telling your parents that you're gay.

- If I had the choice between being gay and owning a Mac, I would rather be gay, because if I owned a Mac I would be both gay and own a horrible computer.

- Imagine a giant cock flying towards your mouth, and there's nothing you can do about it. And you're like "Oh man, I'm gonna have to suck this thing", and you brace yourself to suck this giant cock. But then, at the last moment, it changes trajectory and hits you in the eye. You think to yourself "Well, at least I got that out of the way", but then the giant cock rears back and stabs your eye again, and again, and again. Eventually, this giant cock is penetrating your gray matter, and you begin to lose control of your motor skills. That's when the giant cock slaps you across the cheek, causing you to fall out of your chair. Unable to move and at your most vulnerable, the giant cock finally lodges itself in your anus, where it rests comfortably for 4, maybe 5 hours. That's what using Mac OSX is like.
genci88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2009, 05:03 PM   #2
RealyPssd
Rage3D Veteran

RealyPssd is still being judged by the masses

Hmm, I put in my 7 Pro upgrade disc into my drive, booted from it into the setup.

I formatted my c:\ drive, it had an install of W7 RC release, then selected the newly formatted drive and installed Windows 7 Pro fine.

No problems.
RealyPssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2009, 05:19 PM   #3
Roxen
Drunk sexy prick

Roxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Good timing, I'm just setting up my friend's pc with his upgrade edition. Thanks.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 23, 2009, 07:00 PM   #4
Auric
Bananad

Auric is still being judged by the masses

I heard of a similar method on the innertubes:

Boot upgrade disc, choose advanced and proceed with install (not upgrade) while omitting serial (thus a limited time trial). After complete, re-insert disc and choose upgrade -this time entering serial to activate.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 03:23 AM   #5
JonZ
ka-shing

JonZ can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJonZ can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJonZ can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJonZ can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJonZ can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJonZ can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJonZ can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJonZ can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJonZ can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJonZ can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJonZ can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

my Vista upgrade was the same way.

2x GTX680 SLI
Core i7 4770k 3.50ghz Haswell @ not OCed yet
Corsair TX850M PSU

G.Skills 4x2gb ddr3 1600mhz

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H mobo
Corsair H100i cooler
OCZ 120 SSD Vertex 3 SATA3 (OS).
Samsng 480 Pro 256gb (capture/swap)
4xWestern Digital 2gb HDD
some other old WD HDDs
Asus Xonar DX PCIE soundcard

Triple Dell 2713HM Monitors 2560x1440
Logitech G700 mouse and G19 keyboard

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

Intel Quad Core Q9650 @ 400FSBx9 3600ghz
Asus P5Q-EM

4x 2gb DDR2 800mhz CORSAIR RAM (5-5-5-18)
Corsair 550w PSU
Hauppauge 1850 PCIE capture card
2x2tb HDD Western Digital RAID mirrored
Toshiba 40" LCD tv screen
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
JonZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 08:11 AM   #6
Android1
Rage3D Veteran

Android1 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAndroid1 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auric View Post

Boot upgrade disc, choose advanced and proceed with install (not upgrade) while omitting serial (thus a limited time trial). After complete, re-insert disc and choose upgrade -this time entering serial to activate.
Are you sure that works for Windows 7? The last I heard, one could not perform an in-place upgrade without an activated copy of Windows already installed.
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 03:59 PM   #7
JonZ
ka-shing

JonZ can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJonZ can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJonZ can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJonZ can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJonZ can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJonZ can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJonZ can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJonZ can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJonZ can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJonZ can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJonZ can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Just helped my pop to install his copy which was the upgrade of the promo back in august. Installed from DVD and I got prompted to either upgrade or go advanced in which I proceed to format C:.

It fully work, just got activated online without problems. Damn now I'm jaelous

2x GTX680 SLI
Core i7 4770k 3.50ghz Haswell @ not OCed yet
Corsair TX850M PSU

G.Skills 4x2gb ddr3 1600mhz

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H mobo
Corsair H100i cooler
OCZ 120 SSD Vertex 3 SATA3 (OS).
Samsng 480 Pro 256gb (capture/swap)
4xWestern Digital 2gb HDD
some other old WD HDDs
Asus Xonar DX PCIE soundcard

Triple Dell 2713HM Monitors 2560x1440
Logitech G700 mouse and G19 keyboard

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

Intel Quad Core Q9650 @ 400FSBx9 3600ghz
Asus P5Q-EM

4x 2gb DDR2 800mhz CORSAIR RAM (5-5-5-18)
Corsair 550w PSU
Hauppauge 1850 PCIE capture card
2x2tb HDD Western Digital RAID mirrored
Toshiba 40" LCD tv screen
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
JonZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 04:41 PM   #8
Android1
Rage3D Veteran

Android1 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAndroid1 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auric View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android1 View Post
Are you sure that works for Windows 7? The last I heard, one could not perform an in-place upgrade without an activated copy of Windows already installed.
You appear to be correct. Contrary to earlier reports, the double-install method will indeed work. I just wonder if or when Microsoft will crack down on these methods.
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 07:30 PM   #9
Roxen
Drunk sexy prick

Roxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRoxen View Post
Good timing, I'm just setting up my friend's pc with his upgrade edition. Thanks.
Just to update, it worked great. Thanks again.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 08:07 PM   #10
theevilsharpie
Radeon HD 6950

theevilsharpie is still being judged by the masses

It boggles my mind why people buy a copy of Windows and then go to such lengths to bypass the licensing and activation checks. If you're going to use the software in a way that violates the EULA, why not just pirate it
theevilsharpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 08:13 PM   #11
The_KELRaTH

The_KELRaTH is still being judged by the masses

Or, why does Microsoft make it so awkward for their customers - the Full and Upgrade should be just one product.

The UK pre-ordered version is......
The_KELRaTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 01:57 AM   #12
marqmajere
GeVooForceDoo

marqmajere is still being judged by the masses

I'd like to add that it worked perfectly for me. Clean install with the upgrade copy and I was able to activate it. No problems at all.

Laptop - iBuypower CZ-17 | Intel i7-3850 | 16 gigs DDR3 1600 | nVidia 675mx | Windows 8.1 64-bit |
marqmajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2009, 11:06 AM   #13
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by theevilsharpie View Post
It boggles my mind why people buy a copy of Windows and then go to such lengths to bypass the licensing and activation checks. If you're going to use the software in a way that violates the EULA, why not just pirate it

Well for me I wanted to add a bigger hard drive which was to big to install win2000 on so I had to do a clean install of my upgrade copy of vista. Fortunately it was fairly easy to just call Microsoft and in a few minutes my problem was solved though it required an internet connection for them to fix.

If you don't have an internet connection at home (a few people I know don't) then this method would be useful to upgrade from obsolete copies of windows.

Also if you have a computer problem and need to start from scratch it would save time to not have to install an old copy of windows.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 02:30 PM   #14
-n7-
Rage3D Veteran

-n7- is still being judged by the masses

Honestly Microsoft needs to **** off with the retarded upgrade version already.

I do not like Apple on bit, but one thing they've got very right is their OS system.

One disc for all.
Clean install? Upgrade install? Home user? Business user? Basic user?

One lovely disc for all.

I could tolerate Microsoft having a couple different versions (say a business version & home version) if they really must.

But why must there be Retail vs. OEM, full version vs. upgrade, & then a ****load of different versions to confuse everyone.
And pricing is always wayyyy too high for the normal user (not talking about student discounts, etc.)

It's retarded, truely retarded.

So quite frankly, while i personally will never ever buy an UPG version as it's annoyingly hassle-filled, i can totally understand why people will do so to save every penny.

n7

n7
-n7- is offline   Reply With Quote