Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » More Discussions » Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support Discussion and support forum for all of the All-In-Wonder Radeon cards, the TV-Wonder, Remote Wonder I and II, the new HDTV Wonder, and basically anything with VIVO support.

"

Old Oct 23, 2009, 08:23 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
paulgo
Radeon HD 6770

paulgo is still being judged by the masses

Default What ATI tuners work with Windows 7

I have the ATI 650 PCI tuner, so far I have not seen any Windows 7 drivers / software.
paulgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:01 AM   #2
mikiem
Radeon HD 6870

mikiem is still being judged by the masses

Run the installer for Vista, which will probably not do anything much but expand the setup files into C:\ATI\Support (or wherever you tell it to). [Haven't tried 9.10 yet, but assume it's like every other]

From there you have to go into Device Mgr, select the theater card (ATI Unified AVStream Driver), & update the drivers manually, pointing to the expanded setup files rather than searching for drivers anywhere.

You have to install Avivo & MCE stuff manually as well, if you want them, by finding/running the .msi setup files among the expanded driver setup files.

The only potential prob I've come across is if you've installed the win7 ATI drivers which were garbage several months back -- don't know, haven't tried anything more recent from Microsoft update.

Running/working with vid in 7, in case it helps...
Fewer prob then Vista or XP, but Avivo can still be flaky, caused mainly by ATI graphics card(s), & varies with graphics card driver version. Have run into a couple of odd, so far minor prob in video-related apps as 7 re-introduces overlays, but with some different coding rules. 7's Media Center works with the 650's like Vista should have.

Last edited by mikiem : Oct 23, 2009 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Added junk
mikiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 12:26 AM   #3
MrDave
Radeon HD 6870

MrDave is still being judged by the masses

I have the ATI HD4890 and an ATI Theater 650 PCIe

With a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate and installing all my drivers including ATI 9.10 Catalyst for Vista/Win7 64 bit and Theater driver 9.10 for Vista/win7 64bit Windows Media Center works flawlessly.

There is absolutely nothing I had to do to get this to work.

On the other hand, if you want to have Catalyst Media Center working, you may want to upgrade from a functioning Vista system with CMC installed to Windows 7, because the Installer of CMC seems to be broken, at least for me when it gets to the "analyzing - detecting basic configuration" portion of the install.

The workaround to this is to not use the CMC installer... Navigate to the CMC directory* and run the setup.exe file directly. You will not see anything onscreen during the install, your Taskbar may show 1 or 2 running "Installation Wizards" while the install is ongoing, you'll see a CMC icon dropped on your desktop. After both "Install Wizard" application icons close out on their own from your Taskbar, then the installation will have completed.

At this point you should be able to run CMC.

*ie. Vista/Packages/Apps/CMC

Last edited by MrDave : Oct 26, 2009 at 01:18 AM. Reason: updated information
MrDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 28, 2009, 04:42 PM   #4
paulgo
Radeon HD 6770

I upgraded to Windows 7 64bit Home Premium yesterday (upgrade from Vista 64 home premoum). I installed the drivers for the Theater 750 Pro Series TV Tuners Version 9.10 and to my suprise it worked without any problems!

Also Windows Media Center works beautifully with this tuner. You need to manually specify both tuners, it does pick up both the analog and digital tuners and integrated both of them so you don't have to changed tuners to view analog or digital channels, plus you get a full program guide for all the analog and digital channels .
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:35 PM   #5
MrDave
Radeon HD 6870

MrDave is still being judged by the masses

One note here.

Only the PCIe version of the Theater 650 has Dual Tuner support in Windows Media Center.

The PCI version Theater 650 is a Single Tuner Hybrid, even though it has both an Analog and a Digital antenna input, it will not show both tuners as available at the same time, you can only configure one tuner or the other in Windows Media Center, Switching Tuners would mean running setup and scanning for channels on the other Tuner Input, and the same again if you wanted to switch back later.

Since I own both cards, I thought I'd mention this tiny little difference between PCI and PCIe version of the cards.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 08:44 AM   #6
paulgo
Radeon HD 6770

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
One note here.

Only the PCIe version of the Theater 650 has Dual Tuner support in Windows Media Center.

The PCI version Theater 650 is a Single Tuner Hybrid, even though it has both an Analog and a Digital antenna input, it will not show both tuners as available at the same time, you can only configure one tuner or the other in Windows Media Center, Switching Tuners would mean running setup and scanning for channels on the other Tuner Input, and the same again if you wanted to switch back later.

Since I own both cards, I thought I'd mention this tiny little difference between PCI and PCIe version of the cards.
I have the ATI 650 PCI version and the Media center does integrate both the analog and digital channels! It also integrates the guide functions so I see both the analog and digital guides integrated. So I can go from channel 6 (analog) to channel 7.1 without switching anything. Again you need to det this up manually since the auto detect will only pick up the analog tuner. It appears Microsoft has figured out how to use both the analog and digital features of the 650 PCI without switching.

Edit: I just reran setup on Microsoft Media Center and this time I let the Media center automatically detect the tuners - this time it detected both the analog and digital tuners,

Last edited by paulgo : Oct 29, 2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 04:36 PM   #7
paulgo
Radeon HD 6770

Here is a good FAQ on the new Windows 7 Media Center and how it handles tuners.

http://www.hdtvtunerinfo.com/win7hdtvfaq.html
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:24 PM   #8
paulgo
Radeon HD 6770

I need to do an update on the driver install - apparently my old driver from Vista 64 was still installed. The driver from the 750 did not install. You cannot do an automatic install of the Vista 64 or the Win 64 driver. The Vista 64 driver had problems with choppy sound under Win 7 using the Catalyst Media Center. Under Windows Media Center the picture was choppy. I did some research on the internet and found this post on how to install the ATI 750 driver. Once installed it works without any problems!

"I use the current Windows 7 WDM driver (pretends to be for 750 pro only) for my Theater 650 pro PCI tuner: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/tvtuner_win7.aspx?type=2.5.1&product=2.5.1.3.6<=English

It is possible with minimal modification of inf file.

In file "aticaw76.inf" section "[ATI.MFG]" (or [ATI.MFG.ntamd64] in case of 64-bit Windows) a row with needed ID of card should be added. In my case it is:

"%ATIAVPCI.DeviceDesc% = ATIAVLIMA, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4D50&SUBSYS_A6971002 ;TV Wonder 650 PCI NA - HedgeHog" - I know it from old Vista driver.

The "ATIAVLIMA" definition is for some "old" tuner cards. The inf file has the "ATIAVPCI" definition too. It is for 550 pro cards. It looks like that this driver can support many tuner cards, not 750 pro only."
Old Oct 30, 2009, 04:47 PM   #9
paulgo
Radeon HD 6770

One addition comment about Windows Media Center - if you select Tasks --settings and to to TV, select Guide and then go to add missing channels I found many channels that were scanned but not included in the listing (available for selection) - these were digital channels that were not mapped to the listing therefore they were ignored, but they are available for selection - mostly on my system they represent the digital mirroring of the analog channels, but they also include some channels (including two HD channels) not available on analog, plus the Music choice channels.

It appears the Windows Media Center can pick up many more digital channels the the Catalyst Media Center. Also (maybe this will change once ATI releases drivers for the 650) under Windows 7 64 bit you cannot scan for digital QAM channels - no channels are picked up.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 07:52 PM   #10
DA1745
The Big Cheese

DA1745 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgo View Post
One addition comment about Windows Media Center - if you select Tasks --settings and to to TV, select Guide and then go to add missing channels I found many channels that were scanned but not included in the listing (available for selection) - these were digital channels that were not mapped to the listing therefore they were ignored, but they are available for selection - mostly on my system they represent the digital mirroring of the analog channels, but they also include some channels (including two HD channels) not available on analog, plus the Music choice channels.

It appears the Windows Media Center can pick up many more digital channels the the Catalyst Media Center. Also (maybe this will change once ATI releases drivers for the 650) under Windows 7 64 bit you cannot scan for digital QAM channels - no channels are picked up.
Per your above posts, so to clarify ~ you were running with Windows 7's built in drivers for the TV tuner at first? (but you thought you had installed the 750's drivers). The tuner worked, but as you tested it, it had choppiness problems etc. IS that all correct?
So then you researched & found how to install the 750 drivers, you did so & things are improved; Is that correct?

I also am asking for clarification on the last paragraph. First had you not been using Vista before just CMC? Vista with the TV Pack installed found far more Clear QAM than CMC could/would.

~ Per the (maybe this will change once ATI releases drivers for the 650) have you seen anything posted that they will do this... Otherwise, given past history, unless enough of us Biotch to them, they have moved past it!

Also the second part of that sentence is unclear to me "under Windows 7 64 bit you cannot scan for digital QAM channels - no channels are picked up." Can you clarify this [Do you mean under W7 64bit installation using Media Center?] ; OR [do you mean under W7 64bit installation using CMC?]
If it's under W7 64bit OS Media center ...why can't you scan for or find Clear QAM?

Last edited by DA1745 : Oct 31, 2009 at 07:54 PM.
DA1745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2009, 08:54 AM   #11
paulgo
Radeon HD 6770

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA1745 View Post
Per your above posts, so to clarify ~ you were running with Windows 7's built in drivers for the TV tuner at first? (but you thought you had installed the 750's drivers). The tuner worked, but as you tested it, it had choppiness problems etc. IS that all correct?
So then you researched & found how to install the 750 drivers, you did so & things are improved; Is that correct?

I also am asking for clarification on the last paragraph. First had you not been using Vista before just CMC? Vista with the TV Pack installed found far more Clear QAM than CMC could/would.

~ Per the (maybe this will change once ATI releases drivers for the 650) have you seen anything posted that they will do this... Otherwise, given past history, unless enough of us Biotch to them, they have moved past it!

Also the second part of that sentence is unclear to me "under Windows 7 64 bit you cannot scan for digital QAM channels - no channels are picked up." Can you clarify this [Do you mean under W7 64bit installation using Media Center?] ; OR [do you mean under W7 64bit installation using CMC?]
If it's under W7 64bit OS Media center ...why can't you scan for or find Clear QAM?
Sorry for the confusion. I believe (doing an upgrade from Vista 64 to Windows 7 64) that Windows 7 picked up the old drivers from the ATI install under Vista. These drivers on my system were choppy. I did not have the Vista upgrade pack for the Media Center so I could not get any QAM channels under Vista. I just used the Vista Media Center for over the air digital channels.

The Windows Media Center (Win 7) can add additional channels not found in the guide by doing a scan for additional channels, but it did not show these channels because it was not in the guide listings. I had to manually add these channels by selecting them under the guide edit.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 09:24 AM   #12
mikiem
Radeon HD 6870

Quote:
... I believe (doing an upgrade from Vista 64 to Windows 7 64) that Windows 7 picked up the old drivers from the ATI install under Vista.
Just like Vista over XP way back when, software & drivers are migrated so some things work that wouldn't otherwise. OTOH, that's a double edged sword, because working & working properly aren't always the same. While the tuner etc might work, some other things might not for some folk.

Quote:
...The Windows Media Center (Win 7) can add additional channels not found in the guide by doing a scan for additional channels, but it did not show these channels because it was not in the guide listings. I had to manually add these channels by selecting them under the guide edit.
You're limited by whomever supplies the listing MC uses... They make mistakes, + have incomplete listings -- many of the cable outlets aren't listed.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 09:46 AM   #13
paulgo
Radeon HD 6770

I just installed the latest 9-11_win7_32-64_unified_wdm drivers for the 750 card. Again the drivers would not install without the changes to the inf file that I wrote about above. However after doing the changes I ran the setup.exe file (in the ATI folder) instead of doing a manual install of the drivers and it went smoothly without any problems.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 10:37 AM   #14
paulgo
Radeon HD 6770

From the ATI driver site:

ATI TV Wonder™ Driver Availability for Windows 7®
Last Updated
11/20/2009
Article Number
GPU-39

Article Description:
This article provides information about ATI TV Wonder™ driver availability for Windows 7®.

Advisory:
Drivers for the ATI TV Wonder™ HD 600/650 series and All in Wonder™ HD series are expected to be available in the first quarter of 2010.

The driver availability date is subject to change without notice at the discretion of AMD and/or the affiliated AMD Certified or OEM Partners.

Due to the incompatibility between Microsoft Windows 7® and ATI’s legacy TV Tuner products (ATI Theater 550 Pro chipsets and older), driver support will not be available.

This article applies to the following configuration(s):

* Hardware
o ATI TV Wonder™ Series
o ATI All in Wonder™ HD Series
* Operating System
o Windows 7® 32bit
o Windows 7® 64bit
------------------------------------------------------------

Until the release of the correct drivers I found Windows Media Center to work best by install the Vista 64 tuner package and then manually using the ATI 750 driver (as explained in a previous post).
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:35 AM   #15
paulgo
Radeon HD 6770

I am happy to report that the January 2010 TV tuner driver for the ATI 750 tuner works very well - without any modifications with the ATI 650 PCI tuner under the Windows 7 64 bit operating system.

I do not have an sound or stutter issues.

Tho only remaining problem is the Catalyst Media Center when doing a channel scan does not pick up the QAM cable digital channels. The analog cable and over the air digital signals are picked up without any problems. I don't know if this problem is because the "official" Windows 7 drivers for this card has not been released or it may be a problem with the Catalyst Media Center and Windows 7.

In any case since I get the QAM channels without any problems with the Windows Media Center this in not really a problem.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:27 AM   #16
mikiem
Radeon HD 6870

Quote:
"...the "official" Windows 7 drivers for this card has not been released..."
???... game.amd.com does not list win7 when you select driver downloads, but the downloaded Vista file is "10-1_win7_32-64_unified_wdm.exe". The win7 cat driver pkg also includes the same drivers, though without the same apps as the tuner drivers.

That said, personally I'm still having rather uneven success installing anything related to the theater hardware using ATI's install mgr, whether in 7 64 or XP Pro SP3 32, regardless whether the Install Mgr shows success or not. If I didn't check the Avivo & MCE encoder files manually, I wouldn't know they had/hadn't updated.

I'm also still finding it necessary to edit the registry after installing the CAT drivers for my graphics card... In my experience those settings have a sometimes large effect on doing anything video, with theater & graphics cards each using Avivo.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:51 AM   #17
DA1745
The Big Cheese

W7 Ultimate 32Bit
HD3870 Graphics card & TV Wonder 650 combo PCI-E
I installed the TV Wonder 650 after installing the HD3870 cards (PHYSICALLY - the hardware). Installed the latest Catalyst drivers bundle w/ Display drivers, WDM, & CCC bundled. I dont' like CCC but i have had troubles trying to do the non CCC bundle recently in Vista so... i just disable CCC from booting & use ATI Tools or ATI Tray Tools to run the card.

OK so after I installed the Catalyst bundle (never checked if the TV Wonder 650 was detected - wish i had) but I installed the Windows 7 drivers for the TV Wonder 750. (According to others i've read recently this may not have been necessary, it's possible the WDM in the Catalyst bundle is enough device manager & for Media Center in W7 to see and use the card.

Anyway after a successful install of both i restarted and setup the tuners... worked great!

===== EDIT: Well they both worked INDEPENDANTLY, not simultaneously. I later tried the March release of the TV wonder 650 Drivers for W7 (after uninstalling the old files & using driver cleaner pro to clean out the registry)... Then installed Catalyst 10.3 display & the 10.3 TV wonder 650 W7 drivers.... same experience. Both tuners detected (eventually) but only one worked at a time. Found the answer (*for a work around solution anyway) and that is to install the TV Wonder 650 Drivers 9.3 for VISTA instead. You have to manually install them via device manager.

Last edited by DA1745 : May 11, 2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 07:21 PM   #18
tashidondrup

tashidondrup is still being judged by the masses

Smile

Hey guys I really need some help here i have windows 7 and an ATI HD4850 and i want to buy tv tuner im thinking in the Ati HD650 or 750 which one is better?

In my country i have analog cable and clear QAM i would like to have both signals at the same time Does the 750 can do this? or just the 650 dual tuner.

Im kind of confused about the tv tuners types flying around Hybrids, duals, single

There is a review in amazon of a guy using Windows7 and a 750 and he says that is a great tuner but he cant watch analog andd digital chanels at the same time, is that true? Thanks in advance
tashidondrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 09:59 AM   #19
tashidondrup

Unhappy

Anyone?
Old Feb 5, 2010, 02:06 PM   #20
kn00tcn
zero-zero

kn00tcn is still being judged by the masses

this section is a little slower with less users that are familiar with multimedia stuff, give it some time
OpenGL startup crash fix #1 / fix #2 (for < radeon 6000 cards?)
better crossfire for Section8 Prejudice, Hydrophobia, UDK
kn00tcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 01:13 PM   #21
DA1745
The Big Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashidondrup View Post
Hey guys I really need some help here i have windows 7 and an ATI HD4850 and i want to buy tv tuner im thinking in the Ati HD650 or 750 which one is better?

In my country i have analog cable and clear QAM i would like to have both signals at the same time Does the 750 can do this? or just the 650 dual tuner.

Im kind of confused about the tv tuners types flying around Hybrids, duals, single

There is a review in amazon of a guy using Windows7 and a 750 and he says that is a great tuner but he cant watch analog andd digital chanels at the same time, is that true? Thanks in advance
Hey Tashidondrup,
First, to clarify: So far i have ONLY seen a USB TV Wonder 750 that is a single Hybrid tuner = Which means it will tune 1-ATSC/CLear QAM ===OR=== 1-NTSC at one time. There were SUPPOSED to be coming out with a PCI-E version but so far in the U.S. I have not seen it. (it will likely have 2 tuners ~ but unsure if they will be Dual hybrid (each tuner capable of ATSC & NTSC) or just dual tuners (1-ATSC/Clear QAM & 1-NTSC)?!?

So, if your country DOESN'T OFFER a PCI-E version of the TV Wonder 750 and you want to have TWO Tuners. Then the choice would seem obvious to me (It's also what I currently am using: TV Wonder 650's PCI-E).
Each tuner is serperate. 1-ATSC/Clear QAM & 1-NTSC.
I have a different graphics card than you in my Windows 7 System, but like yours it's also an ATI (mine is HD3870, but I don't think that makes one whiff of a difference), the important similarity is that they are both ATI.

I posted above that under W7 Ultimate. with my ATI HD3870 + TV wonder 650. I installed both cards - shut down pulled power cord - (first I installed the graphics card...booted, shut down). Then pulled cord etc. then installed the TV Wonder 650 & booted. Then I installed the newest CATALYST 10.1 bundle with the Display drivers, WDM, CCC package (you can always turn off CCC or stop it from loading in MSconfig if you don't like it. The reason I install it, is I seem to have issued (unable to install) when I just try the Display drivers & WDM (I get a failed install ever since VISTA)...

Anyway after I installed the Catalyst 10.1 bundle successfully, I DID NOT Reboot. I simply installed the Windows 7 Drivers for the TV Wonder 750. Yes the 750. I never checked device manager after installing the Catalyst 10.1 package, but others have said, that - that is all they needed to install to get it working and for Device manager to find drivers for it to use. Unfortunately, I did not pause there in the process to check (but no issues with installing the TV Wonder 750 drivers either. SO if it's necessary you can install them if not, you can hold off & try a reboot (installing them if needed).

This is a sort of temporary fix AFAIConcerned, I am waiting for ATI to Officially release Windows 7 drivers for the TV Wonder 650, but until they do, i'm glad that it's working fine without it.

***** EDIT: it did not work exactly fine... It would only record one or the other which is not the correct behavior. In the thread above of mine i corrected the information about what you need to do (namely for me it wasn't using the 10.3 W7 drivers when they came out as i got the same result (one tuner or the other) but when i followed a suggestion and used the old Vista 9.3 drivers for the TV Wonder 650 that solved it in W7. (see above).

Last edited by DA1745 : May 11, 2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 08:17 PM   #22
tashidondrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA1745 View Post
Hey Tashidondrup,
First, to clarify: So far i have ONLY seen a USB TV Wonder 750 that is a single Hybrid tuner = Which means it will tune 1-ATSC ===OR=== 1-NTSC at one time. There were SUPPOSED to be coming out with a PCI-E version but so far in the U.S. I have not seen it. (it will likely have 2 tuners ~ but unsure if they will be Dual hybrid (each tuner capable of ATSC & NTSC) or just dual tuners (1-ATSC & 1-NTSC)?!?

So, if your country DOESN'T OFFER a PCI-E version of the TV Wonder 750 and you want to have TWO Tuners. Then the choice would seem obvious to me (It's also what I currently am using: TV Wonder 650's).
Each tuner is serperate. 1-ATSC & 1-NTSC.
I have a different graphics card than you in my Windows 7 System, but like yours it's also an ATI (mine is HD3870, but I don't think that makes one whiff of a difference), the important similarity is that they are both ATI.

I posted above that under W7 Ultimate. with my ATI HD3870 + TV wonder 650. I installed both cards - shut down pulled power cord - (first I installed the graphics card...booted, shut down). Then pulled cord etc. then installed the TV Wonder 650 & booted. Then I installed the newest CATALYST 10.1 bundle with the Display drivers, WDM, CCC package (you can always turn off CCC or stop it from loading in MSconfig if you don't like it. The reason I install it, is I seem to have issued (unable to install) when I just try the Display drivers & WDM (I get a failed install ever since VISTA)...

Anyway after I installed the Catalyst 10.1 bundle successfully, I DID NOT Reboot. I simply installed the Windows 7 Drivers for the TV Wonder 750. Yes the 750. I never checked device manager after installing the Catalyst 10.1 package, but others have said, that - that is all they needed to install to get it working and for Device manager to find drivers for it to use. Unfortunately, I did not pause there in the process to check (but no issues with installing the TV Wonder 750 drivers either. SO if it's necessary you can install them if not, you can hold off & try a reboot (installing them if needed).

This is a sort of temporary fix AFAIConcerned, I am waiting for ATI to Officially release Windows 7 drivers for the TV Wonder 650, but until they do, i'm glad that it's working fine without it.
But what about for clear QAM?
i dont have ATSC signals in my country
Will de analog and the clear QAM work both at the same time with the 750?
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:24 AM   #23
fO Che -USA-
Rage3D Veteran

fO Che -USA- is still being judged by the masses

The only drivers I can find are on there game.amd website. It's up to version 10.1 and only says vista until you download it and the package name is 10-1_win7_32-64_unified_wdm.exe. I do believe I installed it but it seems like you have the same functionality so I don't know what gives.

ps. Amd does need to get the drivers pages straightened out for the TV tuners.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 07:34 PM   #24
paulgo
Radeon HD 6770

Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:07 PM   #25
fO Che -USA-
Rage3D Veteran

fO Che -USA- is still being judged by the masses

This is what I was referring to.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 02:39 PM   #26
mikiem
Radeon HD 6870

Quote:
"There is a review in amazon of a guy using Windows7 and a 750 and he says that is a great tuner but he cant watch analog andd digital chanels at the same time, is that true?"
Not sure this is what you mean but: Watching more than one TV signal at the same time is dependent on the software -- e.g. there's apps for monitoring several security cams at the same time, & I believe somewhere I've seen picture in a picture advertised. At any rate, I wouldn't think there's anything in hardware that says you can't, as long as you have separate, complete tuners for every signal you want to watch -- picture in a picture has always required a 2nd tuner besides the TV's for example.

Quote:
"But what about for clear QAM?
Will de analog and the clear QAM work both at the same time with the 750?"
Profile shows Canada... I haven't really paid attention [sorry] but I think I remember seeing quite often where Canadians have to go about it just a bit differently. I'd suggest searching here in the Rage3D forums & elsewhere, & including the word Canada.

Far as analog & QAM/ATSC go, depends on the card (dual vs. hybrid), software, & how it's set up, but people with multiple cards/tuners (including the theater chipped ATI cards) have reported recording a few streams while watching yet another.

Last edited by mikiem : Feb 12, 2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 07:48 PM   #27
paulgo
Radeon HD 6770

Quote:
ATI has officially released drivers for the 650 and 600 series cards (except USB tuners). The above link will take you to the page where you can sellect the download you need.

I have two problems with these drivers:
With the Catalyst Media Center I cannot access the digital tuner (antenna or cable). With the Windows Media Center - When I load the drivers and reboot the system it works fine (both analog and digital) however when I reboot the system again I will get severe picture and sound stuttering. The only solution is to reload the drivers again and reboot the system once again. Once in a while I can reboot and not have this problem, it becomes a very consistent occurrence if I use the Windows Media Player with video sharing to my PS3.

The is the message ATI has on thier website for the non supported tuners:

ATI TV Wonder™ Tuner Driver availability for Windows® 7
Last Updated
3/29/2010
Article Number
GPU-39

Article Description:
This article provides information about ATI TV tuner driver availability for Windows® 7.

Advisory:
Due to the incompatibility between Microsoft Windows 7 and ATI’s legacy TV Tuner products, driver support will not be available for the following products:

ATI Theater 550 Pro chipsets and older

Windows 7 Tuner drivers for the products listed below are not available. There are no plans for driver development at this time.

ATI All-in-Wonder™ HD
ATI TV Wonder™ 650 Combo USB
ATI TV Wonder™ 600 USB

Applicable Products:

* Hardware
o ATI TV Wonder Series
o ATI All-in-Wonder HD Series
* Operating System
o Windows 7 32bit
o Windows 7 64bit
Old Apr 6, 2010, 08:35 PM   #28
DA1745
The Big Cheese

BIG BIG ERRORS IN MY ABOVE POST!!! About getting the TV Wonder 650 ( back then to work with both tuners simultaneously ). I was on a trip and it has been some time since i got back and am remembering to come update the info. The installation i used ABOVE, allowed each tuner of the TV Wonder 650 to work Independantly - I could either do ATSC or NTSC but never both at the same time! So sorry for the initial mis information.

Which makes absolute sense to me since again ( in the US ) the TV Wonder 750 is only available in a USB Single Hybrid tuner so it's natural that the drivers would only allow or recognize one tuner at a time!========
=====================================================

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashidondrup View Post
But what about for clear QAM?
Will de analog and the clear QAM work both at the same time with the 750?
Sorry for the confusion ( QAM, is Under the ATSC umbrella ) - So yes BOTH the TV Wonder 650 & 750 Support Clear QAM* it's just a matter of getting software that marries up with it. For example that's a No - for XP or XP Media Center ( no QAM ). Vista - Only with CMC or With Vista Media Center ( if your system came with the Vista TV Media Pack already installed or you go & download it's parts & install it ). Windows 7 *( which you stated you are using has Clear QAM ability Natively in it.
So yes you do have ATSC - ( Clear QAM ) you just might not have O.T.A ( Over the Air - ATSC ).
Sorry for the LONG delay was absent.

====================================================

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikiem View Post
Not sure this is what you mean but: Watching more than one TV signal at the same time is dependent on the software -- e.g. there's apps for monitoring several security cams at the same time, & I believe somewhere I've seen picture in a picture advertised. At any rate, I wouldn't think there's anything in hardware that says you can't, as long as you have separate, complete tuners for every signal you want to watch -- picture in a picture has always required a 2nd tuner besides the TV's for example.
I believe what he means is that the person on Amazon is correctly rating that it ( TV wonder 750 can only record one program at a time due to being a single hybrid tuner) so he would have to have Two 750's or one 650 to do this...
Quote:
ATI has officially released drivers for the 650 and 600 series cards (except USB tuners). The above link will take you to the page where you can sellect the download you need.

I have two problems with these drivers:
With the Catalyst Media Center I cannot access the digital tuner (antenna or cable). With the Windows Media Center - When I load the drivers and reboot the system it works fine (both analog and digital) however when I reboot the system again I will get severe picture and sound stuttering. The only solution is to reload the drivers again and reboot the system once again. Once in a while I can reboot and not have this problem, it becomes a very consistent occurrence if I use the Windows Media Player with video sharing to my PS3.

The is the message ATI has on thier website for the non supported tuners:
Windows 7 Tuner drivers for the products listed below are not available. There are no plans for driver development at this time.

ATI All-in-Wonder™ HD
ATI TV Wonder™ 650 Combo USB

Applicable Products:
First TY for posting i had just checked this today and was pleasantly surprised to see them there & remembered I needed to come back here & correct somethings.

Bummer about your reboot loss of function. As i have not personally installed these i will do so as soon as I can.
I look forward to hearing if the problem persists ( of course I hope it does not, and that it's just a temporary thing ).
But also, are you using a Registry cleaner to take out the reminents like Driver Cleaner Pro in addition to the Program removal & rebooting?
It's of course possible that something with your old TV tuner drivers / setup is impacting the new drivers. I swear by that software. It used to be offered free on Guru3d but it's only $9.99 download now so i'd buy it. Guru3d has another ( free driver cleaner ) up ever since DCPro went commercial, but I've only used it a tiny bit years back...

And OMG is that ONE HELL OF A SLAP IN THE FACE (((( AGAIN )))) TO ALL IN WONDER HD USERS!!!
ATI/AMD YOU ARE COMPLETE TOOL BAGS!!!!
I officially am now testing out ASUS My Cinema cards. They have good reviews and the newest came fully W7 compatible out of the box. Will hopefully speak more about them after I get it running.

Last edited by DA1745 : Apr 6, 2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 08:59 AM   #29
paulgo
Radeon HD 6770

I contacted ATI about my problems and one thing they suggested was using the free version of the Guru 3D driver cleaner. I tried that plus I uninstalled the Catalyst Media Center (using the Revo Uninstaller). I also used Norton Utilities 14 registry cleaner to clear up any registry errors.

Unfortunately I still have the same problems with Window 7 64 bit - after the install or reinstall the Windows Media Center will work without any problems abut eventually after on or two reboots I will have the stuttering problem. ATI has escalated this problem to one of their experts to review.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 09:40 PM   #30
DA1745
The Big Cheese

Quote:
I contacted ATI about my problems and one thing they suggested was using the free version of the Guru 3D driver cleaner. I tried that plus I uninstalled the Catalyst Media Center (using the Revo Uninstaller). I also used Norton Utilities 14 registry cleaner to clear up any registry errors.

Unfortunately I still have the same problems with Window 7 64 bit - after the install or reinstall the Windows Media Center will work without any problems abut eventually after on or two reboots I will have the stuttering problem. ATI has escalated this problem to one of their experts to review.
I think it's shame full that ATI doesn't offer a true un-installer, registry remover for it's own products ( one that simply would record what's installed & take it off when you run it - the uninstaller ).

So Friday night i decided I wanted access to both of my TV Wonder 650 PCI-E 's tuners ( not just one or the other under Windows 7 ). So i ran the program un-installer and then ran Driver Cleaner PRo ( the old freebie form Guru 3d) so I'm wondering if it's getting all the TV wonder drivers. I had been running Catalyst 10.1 bundle with Avivo, & the TV Wonder 750 USB drivers.

After the removal I, installed the Catalyst 10.3 bundle, Avivo, then restarted, and installed the new TV Wonder 650 PCI-E Windows 7 Drivers.
1st time running it the Clear QAM channels didn't come up despite it seeing the Tuner. I checked cables, may have restarted a second time, not sure, then rescanned & found channels for both tuners.

However, no simultaneous recordings again ?!?!? So i'm back where i was before, don't know if something is stuck in the registry or if it's something else with the MOBO ? Graphics card??? GRRR - I'm going to try the operation with the Guru 3d's current free driver cleaner.