Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jun 11, 2009, 09:14 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Qb2k5 is still being judged by the masses

Default The Best Way To Apply Thermal Grease

Quote:
Source

Like it says - Joe SUMMARY: Anything but the "razor blade" works well.
Applying thermal grease to get a uniform pattern is an important part of getting the most out of CPU cooling. It used to be that the accepted method was to apply a thin coat using a razor blade of the edge of a credit card. Most performance thermal compounds in use today are lightly bulk loaded thin or wet compounds that spread easily, but a compound that has a bulk loading >90% will not spread using the razor blade technique.
Alternatives to the razor blade have included a number of patterns. To ascertain how effective these are, I applied thermal grease (Tuniq TX2) to a pane of glass and then clamped a second pane over it to simulate heatsink clamping to a CPU's IHS. It was baked for about ten minutes at 150ºC to accelerate spreading. I tried five different spreading schemes:
  1. Razor blade
  2. Straight line
  3. Pea size
  4. Rice gain size
  5. "X"
The following pic shows these patterns:

After clamping and baking, the following pic shows how the grease patterns fared:

Of the other techniques, all of them will spread nicely over time. I think, however, the best method is to use any technique that starts with grease in the center of the IHS and spreads from there. Personally I believe the best technique is the "pea" approach - this concentrates grease over the hottest point of the IHS (the center) and spreads out uniformly from there. Any excess will be squeezed out.
CONCLUSIONS

Forget the razor blade and go for the pea.
Very interesting. But does the pea spread well on direct-to-heatpipe surfaces? Find out here.
Qb2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 09:25 PM   #2
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

They have instructions for this at some websites..
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 10:23 PM   #3
MyTMouse
Console Forumas Modamus

MyTMouse can recite pi backwardsMyTMouse can recite pi backwardsMyTMouse can recite pi backwardsMyTMouse can recite pi backwardsMyTMouse can recite pi backwardsMyTMouse can recite pi backwardsMyTMouse can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

I've always just spread an even, thin layer with a piece cut from an old bank card. It looks like it was painted on afterword and does a good job. I just don't like the idea of not spreading it evenly first
MyTMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 11, 2009, 11:27 PM   #4
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

My current method is a thin X across the entire processor, then a dot in the center of each divided quadrant. Seems to work well enough and doesn't use too much paste.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 01:42 AM   #5
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Dyre Straits is still being judged by the masses

Interesting.

Although, I've never used any of these myself. I just spread an even coat in a circular motion using my finger and have never had a CPU failure at all. In fact, the current E6700 I'm using is now 3 1/2 years old and has been in at least 8 different motherboards in that duration.

I figure the silicon compound I use is pliable enough the pressure of the components will squeeze any unevenness out of it in the process of tensioning the hold-down screws.

I've had it functioning at 3.2 GHz without any problem. Presently, it idles at 31C and has never gone above 58C under load.
~Windows 10 x64 Professional~Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H~Intel I7-3770K~8x2 GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistic 1600 RAM (Dual Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX R9 390 8GB GDDR5~3 Acer 27 inch LCDs~SCEPTRE 505 4K UHD TVand one Sanyo 32 inch HDTV connected via Intel onboard GPU~SATA BluRay RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~AND....1 TB XBOX ONE~1 PS4 with Uncharted Bundle~

Quote:
If you have an issue with what you said, please resolve it in private ;)
Dyre Straits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 07:54 AM   #6
H001iGAN
Orzysz

H001iGAN is still being judged by the masses

I recently just built and overclocked an i7 system and have reapplied my cooler 4 times with different AS5 application methods, the best results i got was when I

take some plastic fooil wrap, and wrap it around your finger, put a tiny bit of AS5 on your finger, and touch the processor over and over with it untill it's all covered, than smooth the thermal paste with your finger, by applying pressure and rubbing it from top to bottom, ( kinda like if you were lapping your heatsink, except this is done with your finger, you should end up with a layer of about 0.02mm the amount is so tiny you can almost see the metal behind the thermal paste, than apply the CPU make sure you use a bakplate and screws, none of the push pin BS, also put a washer or 2 between the mounting bracket and spring to get a bit more thightening force.

the amount of thermal compound you put on your heatsink/processor determines how well it will cool, thermal paste should only fill in the imperfections in the cpu and coller surfaces.
overall i used about as much as 1/2 of a rice grain.

obviously this method only works with flat surfaces, if you have a warped heatsink or processor, you should lap it, otherwise you will never achieve good thermal transfer

this method has dropped my prime95 under load temperatures by about 10 degrees

Last edited by H001iGAN : Jun 12, 2009 at 08:00 AM.
H001iGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 08:08 AM   #7
BaronVonBalsac

BaronVonBalsac is still being judged by the masses

The "razor blade" method is the only one that covered all of the CPU! The other methods have giant blank spots in the corners with NO thermal compound! So it looks like the thermal compound is thicker in the middle than it should be, and there's none on the corners. And those are the best method? I will keep placing a thin layer on the ENTIRE CPU thank you very much.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 09:05 AM   #8
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonBalsac View Post
The "razor blade" method is the only one that covered all of the CPU! The other methods have giant blank spots in the corners with NO thermal compound! So it looks like the thermal compound is thicker in the middle than it should be, and there's none on the corners. And those are the best method? I will keep placing a thin layer on the ENTIRE CPU thank you very much.
You are aware that the die isnt in the corners of the heat spreaders on the CPUs right?
Quote:
Old Jun 12, 2009, 12:37 PM   #9
Skynet
Banned

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
You are aware that the die isnt in the corners of the heat spreaders on the CPUs right?
True, but heat still wicks to the edges. Not putting compound over the entire surface will obviously reduce the surface area of dissipation/contact.

I've used many different methods, the best is to just spread the compound over the entire surface of the processor. How you do it doesn't really matter at all. And even if you use too much paste, it will still work more than good enough. It's better than not using enough. At best, you might get a couple of degrees cooler using the exact right amount of paste. If your system depends on 2 degrees to be stable, you've got bigger problems.
Skynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 12:54 PM   #10
traitoR
Galactic Butterfly

traitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynet View Post
True, but heat still wicks to the edges. Not putting compound over the entire surface will obviously reduce the surface area of dissipation/contact.

I've used many different methods, the best is to just spread the compound over the entire surface of the processor. How you do it doesn't really matter at all. And even if you use too much paste, it will still work more than good enough. It's better than not using enough. At best, you might get a couple of degrees cooler using the exact right amount of paste. If your system depends on 2 degrees to be stable, you've got bigger problems.
I agree.

Utilizing the entire surface area is preferable to just the center die, the heat dissipates through thermal contact, it's the same reasoning why people lap the TRUE and other heatsinks, with the TRUE they purposely manufactered the center contact area slightly bulged which works well in the majority of cases because it will guarantee good contact for the die area, but for absolute dissipation levels one needs the entirety of the available area to function at peak efficiency, chances are there are diminishing returns but it's not going to hurt anything either.

The dream of eternal life is far more compelling than living one.
traitoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 01:41 PM   #11
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynet View Post

While this is true, Ive never been able to find any measurable difference having the entire spreader covered, or the area just around the core.

Take it as you will, I get great results using the pea method, and prechecking the dot after initial clamping force is applied. If there is too much, I'll wipe the paste off the heatsink and call it good. (Gets a good thin layer that way).
Quote:
Old Jun 12, 2009, 01:45 PM   #12
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

If you don't get it squished to the edges doesn't that mean it's not making good contact there anyway?
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 02:27 PM   #13
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
If you don't get it squished to the edges doesn't that mean it's not making good contact there anyway?
After clamping force and heat is applied 99% of the time, the paste will seep to the edges. That is, if it was applied properly.
Quote:
Old Jun 12, 2009, 06:08 PM   #14
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Perky McGiggles is still being judged by the masses

I've tried a dozen different ways, the biggest difference you can get is by lapping the CPU/HS. Otherwise I rarely see a drop in temp going from one method to another.

I prefer doing the credit card, or razor blade method. It gets a nice thin layer over the entire CPU, that way I know it's got a good contact.
name, so sayeth the Lord.
- Penguins 22, chapter 3, verse 8
Perky McGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2009, 09:16 AM   #15
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Crisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I have found a simplier solution

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...10&Tpk=ZM-STG1

Paint a bit on the CPU and on the heat sink. Spreading is easy and done, less mess than a credit card spread and ebtter coverage than a BB drop.

#SapphireNation
Crisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2009, 09:30 AM   #16
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I use the pea/rice grain method, it seems to work the best for me.

This test that they did is somewhat flawed though, the clamping method that they use does not have the same force as a real heatsink, and the paste will not spread as far as it normally would with a heatsink and it's more focused clamping force.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2009, 02:34 PM   #17
Qualitier
UltraRacer PC forever

Qualitier is still being judged by the masses

Crisler's method sounds good. Generally I spread a layer as uniform and thin as I can without "tools" (cards, blades, a finger,...). About these I'm always afraid about dust added.

But the paste that uses to go out from the edges bothers me. So, after reading VW_Factor's opinion, I think that next time I'll spread a thin square layer in the center, leaving a frame without paste. This frame should get paste and, if it doesn't entirely, it shouldn't matter that much.

Windows XP 32 pro + Windows Vista 32 Ultimate, CCC + ATi Tray Tools
Club3D HD4890 Superclocked Edition (950/1050·4) with Accelero S1 rev2 + Turbo Module (2 80mm low-profile fans w/o frame)
LCD Samsung SyncMaster T260 (26", 1920x1200)
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P (socket AM3, chipset AMD-790FX)
Phenom II X4 955-BE @ stock
4x2GB Geil DDR3-1333 7-7-7-24-33 1.5V @ 1333MHz 7-7-7-24-33-1T 1.6V; dual channel enabled; unganged mode
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 with gameport, AverMedia AVerTV Hybrid Super007
2x WD 640GB Caviar Blue (SATA) in RAID 0, DVD reader (IDE), 2 DVD recorders (SATA+IDE), floppy drive, card reader
Corsair VX-550W, one +12V x 41A rail, 81-85% efficiency

Windows XP 32 pro, no CCC, ATi Tray Tools
Sapphire X1950pro 512MB AGP (580/702·2 MHz) with Accelero X2
CRT Nokia 446Xpro (19", 107 kHz) @ 1600x1200x75Hz (desktop) or 1280x1024x85Hz (games)
Asrock AM2NF3-VSTA (nForce3 250); [email protected] MHz (motherboard limitation, 3216MB/s up + 3216MB/s down)
Athlon64 X2 5000+ Brisbane (@13*201=2613MHz)
2x2GB Buffalo 2.1V + 2x1GB Kingston 2.0V, both DDR2-800 [email protected] 2*373MHz (2613/7) 4-4-4-12-2T 2.0V; dual channel enabled
56k modem, drives etc
Corsair VX-450W, one +12V x 33A rail, 81-85% efficiency
190W maximum consumption from the wall (monitor apart)
Qualitier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2009, 03:03 PM   #18
Pepsin
bananed

Pepsin is still being judged by the masses

I use method #4. Works great. You don't need it to cover the entire heatspreader since the die underneath is smaller.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 11:32 PM   #19
Scott
I like my backyard

Scott is still being judged by the masses

I like having air gaps in my thermal compound....

There is no simple way to spread the compound by hand and ensure there won't be air pockets. Use the pea method and feel safe.

I got a pair of tweezers, a can of air, and some bacardi :\

-
sittal
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 01:34 AM   #20
biscuitownz
R.I.P 9600GT 2008-2009

biscuitownz is still being judged by the masses

i just put it on XD

biscuitownz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 01:58 AM   #21
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

it depends on the type of CPU you have and then the type of heatsink you have HDT vs flat bottom.

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 05:38 AM   #22
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

I've always spread it on with a razor. A thin coating over the entire surface. It's the way I started doing it and the way I've continued doing it because of habit. I've never had a problem and temps have always been fantastic with great overclocks. Given my modest 10 years of experience doing it the same way repeatedly, I see no reason to change my methods.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 12:03 PM   #23
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

on a flat bottom cooler I wouldnt see a problem with the razor method. with an HDT cooler you run into the problem of the grooves that you have to deal with.

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 05:26 PM   #24
the_mup
Did I microstutter?

the_mup is still being judged by the masses

The arctic silver instructions haven't let me down yet. Pick your poison because the methods can change slightly depending on which type you use.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm
Powercolor 290x LCS
PC Power and Cooling 860w
Muskin SSD
ASUS 24" HDMI Widescreen
Custom Watercooled
Windows 8.1 x64
the_mup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 06:46 AM   #25
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

I followed the instructions for HDT coolers here and got a good result. I assume the advice given for square- and round-base coolers is valid, as well.
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote