Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Software
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Software Anything software that is not operating system related goes here. Talk about the latest applications or discuss betas of upcoming products.

Old Jun 5, 2009, 05:09 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
biscuitownz
R.I.P 9600GT 2008-2009

biscuitownz is still being judged by the masses

Default Sending large files in xp to usb flash drive

Hey guys i know there was a probably a thread about this before but i couldn't find it. but anyways i need to send a file that's 6gb big to a 8gig usb flash drive but it tells me to get a larger device.....is there a program that i can use?

biscuitownz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 06:22 PM   #2
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

Is your flash drive formatted with FAT32? If so, you are running into a limitation of that file system. The maximum size a file on a FAT32 volume can be is 4GB. Try compressing the file to see if you can get it below that size.
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 06:38 PM   #3
heon2574
Radeon R520

heon2574 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android1 View Post
Is your flash drive formatted with FAT32? If so, you are running into a limitation of that file system. The maximum size a file on a FAT32 volume can be is 4GB. Try compressing the file to see if you can get it below that size.
Or you could copy out any important stuff off the flash drive, format the flash drive as NTFS, and voila.

Or, if you can't do the above, you can use a program like winrar or 7zip to break the file up into chunks. merge them at the destination but that'll take two trips to do.

heon2574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 5, 2009, 07:01 PM   #4
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by heon2574 View Post
Or you could copy out any important stuff off the flash drive, format the flash drive as NTFS, and voila.

Or, if you can't do the above, you can use a program like winrar or 7zip to break the file up into chunks. merge them at the destination but that'll take two trips to do.
Your former suggestion is what I was going to suggest next.

As for your latter suggestion, I did not that 7-Zip could do that, since I usually only use it for extractions. Good tip!
Old Jun 5, 2009, 07:59 PM   #5
biscuitownz
R.I.P 9600GT 2008-2009

biscuitownz is still being judged by the masses

thanks for all your help! i got it to work by formatted it into NTFS and it transferred thx

biscuitownz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2009, 06:34 AM   #6
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

You are welcome.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 10:34 AM   #7
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

If you are not planning on moving any more large files, I would switch back to FAT32. Journaling file systems like NTFS write more frequently to their volumes, thereby shorting the life of your flash drive. Remember that your flash drive is only good for a limited number of writes.

For more information about the journaling concept, see here.