Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Off-Topic Forums » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

"

Old Apr 1, 2009, 06:29 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Bires
Tasty Human!

Bires can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyBires can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyBires can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default Fluid change time... (thoughts?)

So my 02 civic has hit 90k and I'll be installing its third set of tires and I thought might as well do the brakes, coolant, manual gear oil, and steering fluid at the same time.

Anyone have any recomendations / favorite brands for:

coolant
brake fluid
manual tranny fluid
power steering fluid

TIA
Bires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2009, 06:31 PM   #2
GRimm862
Banned

GRimm862 is still being judged by the masses

Royal purple all the way.
GRimm862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2009, 06:46 PM   #3
Cowzrul
Dazed and Confused

Cowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I was sort of under the impression that manual trannys don't need fluid changes, but I could be wrong.
Cowzrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 2, 2009, 09:15 AM   #4
Supra_Freak
I did this to your momma!

Supra_Freak knows why the caged bird singsSupra_Freak knows why the caged bird singsSupra_Freak knows why the caged bird singsSupra_Freak knows why the caged bird singsSupra_Freak knows why the caged bird singsSupra_Freak knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowzrul View Post
I was sort of under the impression that manual trannys don't need fluid changes, but I could be wrong.

they shouldn't, only automatics every now and then.
Supra_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 09:37 AM   #5
Greasy
Rage3D Spammer

Greasy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGreasy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGreasy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGreasy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGreasy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGreasy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGreasy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGreasy doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I changed out the tranny fluid on my 91 MR2, and it was never the same. The syncros in that thing were horrible to begin with, but after the fluid change it got much worse.

Why? I have no idea.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 10:01 AM   #6
Kovster
SV650s

Kovster is still being judged by the masses

my 08 Si uses just 10-30 motor oil for transmission fluid, so it needs to be changed every so often, soon as it warms up out Asmoil is goin in there. countless of folks have said it does WONDERS for the Si 6spd.
Kovster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 03:54 PM   #7
OverclockN'
Rage3D Spammer

OverclockN' once held a door open for a complete strangerOverclockN' once held a door open for a complete strangerOverclockN' once held a door open for a complete strangerOverclockN' once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra_Freak View Post
Unless you own a Corvette and drive it agressively (probably the same for other cars also). Then it's a good idea to flush it now and again (clean it up at least) at least between racing seasons bare minimum.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 09:14 PM   #8
hogfish2k
Radeon HD 7970

hogfish2k is still being judged by the masses

what has a vette got to do with this? Unless u r leasing the car or just don't care, tranny fluiid should be changed at 100k if not sooner.
hogfish2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 09:21 PM   #9
OverclockN'
Rage3D Spammer

OverclockN' once held a door open for a complete strangerOverclockN' once held a door open for a complete strangerOverclockN' once held a door open for a complete strangerOverclockN' once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfish2k View Post
what has a vette got to do with this? Unless u r leasing the car or just don't care, tranny fluiid should be changed at 100k if not sooner.
It's still along the same lines as the conversation, I obviously wasn't giving him a direct absolute answer to his question. It's ok to sidetrack a wee bit.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 11:01 PM   #10
CurrentlyPissed
1.6 Litres of Fury

CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

02 Civic calls for the manual trans to be changed every 50k under severe driving conditions (normal for 95% of the world).

IIRC.

Royal purple definitly is the best in syn transmsissions fluids. Stay away from the oil though.

Your coolant, if its green colored was to be changed at 30k, if its blue, 120k.

Brake fluid only needs to be changed, and bled, upon heavy servicing of breaks.

Power steering flushes are about as useless as they come.

-George Carlin

Quote:
Life is like an Arrow on a bow. It constantly drags you back. But you are just moments away from springing forward.
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 11:11 PM   #11
Cowzrul
Dazed and Confused

Cowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
02 Civic calls for the manual trans to be changed every 50k under severe driving conditions (normal for 95% of the world).

IIRC.

Royal purple definitly is the best in syn transmsissions fluids. Stay away from the oil though.

What if my coolant is orange and full of dexcool sludge?

At least I can afford a new vehicle when this one inevitably asplodes.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 08:29 AM   #12
Kovster
SV650s

Kovster is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
You just reminded me i need to order racing brake fluid. AutoX and Road Racing is right around the corner!
Kovster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2009, 12:13 AM   #13
red_star
Banned

red_star is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
What if my coolant is orange and full of dexcool sludge?

At least I can afford a new vehicle when this one inevitably asplodes.
Funny cause MR2 2002 uses Orange DEXCOOL and after 65,000 miles tha thing doesn't create any issue..it is great coolant. Now, i know there was case against company who makes this coolant cause it was making problems with GM cars. Nothing wrong with coolant...i say GM makes crappy cars.
red_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2009, 12:43 AM   #14
Cowzrul
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_star View Post
Funny cause MR2 2002 uses Orange DEXCOOL and after 65,000 miles tha thing doesn't create any issue..it is great coolant. Now, i know there was case against company who makes this coolant cause it was making problems with GM cars. Nothing wrong with coolant...i say GM makes crappy cars.
I know I shouldn't respond to you because you're just trolling... as usual, but you sir, are incorrect.

The MR2 uses some special Toyota brand of ethylene-glycol antifreeze (I can't find what's special about it, so I assume it's a Toyota extortion scheme, but I digress), which they dye red/pink. It is not DEX-COOL, which is orange, and is an Orgainc Acid Technology antifreeze.

Also, according to GM's study, the sludge is actually formed by people running their vehicles for too long with low coolant levels, and it destroys the intake manifold gasket... GM can't force people to check their damn radiator. I bought my car used, so it came with sludge. (I didn't know what it was at the time though)
Old Apr 4, 2009, 02:38 AM   #15
gamefoo21
Radeon HD5670 1GB

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra_Freak View Post
ZOMG!!!

Urban Legend... Manual gear oil, should be changed... 50-80,000km are the estimates on the high side, I've heard, some people are anal and change it yearly. For me, I've put 40,000km on my car in year and change...

Quote:

IIRC.

See I'm right... I dunno, I'm a bit of a Redline fanboy... lol So I'll agree their oils are pricey and lame, and I've heard lots of good things about their syncromesh manual tranny oils and their autobox fluids. Although their seems to be contention that Amsoil seems to be king with their Universal ATF.

Brake fluid should be changed every 2-3 years, because no matter how hard you try, the system isn't air tight, and brake fluid loves to absorb water, litererally ripping it out of the air. If the system has a plastic resevoir, their is a source of water. Once the fluid darkens it's time to change.

Flushing a power steering unit?? Wha?? Heh, only thing I've ever read up was keep it topped up with a good fluid, and if it gets contaminated, most system have a way to drain them.

I have low-tox green fluid, it's supposedly good for 120,000km and it pricey stuff. Uses something other than ethelyne glycol as it's glycol(I r too lazy to walk to the porch and/or google) and that is the source of it's stability and protection.

Autotragics that manufacturers say are lifetime fill, are not. If it's got oil, it needs to be changed. Manufacturers use oils of a high quality that will get you outside of the warranty period before any critical failures occur. It's a lifetime fill in that it's filled once until the unit itself grenades because the oil in that unit is so worn out it no longer protects or it turns corrosive and starts damaging the metals. Please change your transmission fluid/filter every 80,000km, and the same with your differentials. It'll add years to the life of your vehicle.

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2009, 10:35 AM   #16
red_star
Banned

red_star is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I know I shouldn't respond to you because you're just trolling... as usual, but you sir, are incorrect.

The MR2 uses some special Toyota brand of ethylene-glycol antifreeze (I can't find what's special about it, so I assume it's a Toyota extortion scheme, but I digress), which they dye red/pink. It is not DEX-COOL, which is orange, and is an Orgainc Acid Technology antifreeze.

Also, according to GM's study, the sludge is actually formed by people running their vehicles for too long with low coolant levels, and it destroys the intake manifold gasket... GM can't force people to check their damn radiator. I bought my car used, so it came with sludge. (I didn't know what it was at the time though)
Thank you, i looked it again. Yes you are right Toyota has different coolant. Speaking GM take on that, they are wrong. Intake manifold gaskets on GM cars go bad because they are made of plastic some sort. Nothing to do with low coolant levels, because i would ask stupid GM, why the **** car with 30,000 miles on would have low coolant unless it has leak...in which case is inside engine. GM can shovel that theory up to their ass, and they should finally admit...yes it's our fault for bad manifold intake, and we will fix that in the future...then i would respect them more. Design of 3.1 and 3.4 V6 engines are not a problem. They are good engines, but they have cheap parts in it. GM was being so cheap, that it really bite them back. People would have bad intake manifold on cars with 30,000 or less. GM lost lot of money by replacing and fixing their under warranty cars.

Last edited by red_star : Apr 4, 2009 at 10:38 AM.
red_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2009, 10:43 AM   #17
gamefoo21
Radeon HD5670 1GB

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Dex-Cool turns to sludge because it's exposed to air. Any leaks in the system *cough* why it munches gaskets *cough* and Dex goes chunky.

GM tried to get out of a massive class action law-suit, that's why they blamed it on "low" coolant levels. The modern GM cars use a sealed cooling system, you aren't supposed to need to top it up. It's not like older cars that have the resevoir venting straight to atmosphere. That is why you can't put Dex-Cool in older cars...

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2009, 06:03 PM   #18
CurrentlyPissed
1.6 Litres of Fury

CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefoo21 View Post
Dex-Cool turns to sludge because it's exposed to air. Any leaks in the system *cough* why it munches gaskets *cough* and Dex goes chunky.

GM tried to get out of a massive class action law-suit, that's why they blamed it on "low" coolant levels. The modern GM cars use a sealed cooling system, you aren't supposed to need to top it up. It's not like older cars that have the resevoir venting straight to atmosphere. That is why you can't put Dex-Cool in older cars...
Wrong. In fact this is probably the most ridiculous response I've ever heard.

Dex-Cool sludge up from improper coolant mixing. 3 table spoons of "Green" fluid is enough to convert the properties of Dex-Cool into sludge.

That is the only way. There are some theories of heat causing it as well. But it has not been proven yet. Reason why this idea is floating around is because you rarely see the trucks have this problem, it's always the cars. And they use smaller radiators, allowing the coolant to stay warmer overall.

-George Carlin

Quote:
Life is like an Arrow on a bow. It constantly drags you back. But you are just moments away from springing forward.
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2009, 06:39 PM   #19
Cowzrul
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Wrong. In fact this is probably the most ridiculous response I've ever heard.

Dex-Cool sludge up from improper coolant mixing. 3 table spoons of "Green" fluid is enough to convert the properties of Dex-Cool into sludge.

That is the only way. There are some theories of heat causing it as well. But it has not been proven yet. Reason why this idea is floating around is because you rarely see the trucks have this problem, it's always the cars. And they use smaller radiators, allowing the coolant to stay warmer overall.
So, that would also explain why low coolant levels would cause it, as the low coolant would cause higher coolant temps.