Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » CATALYST Drivers
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CATALYST Drivers Discussion and Technical support forum for AMD's Catalyst Drivers. Please put Linux-specific driver posts and Remote Wonder discussion in their respective forums.

"

Old Feb 10, 2009, 09:17 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
antdude
An RadeANT!

antdude is still being judged by the masses

Question What is/are the best ATI driver cleaner(s) today?

Hi!

Assuming after doing a normal uninstall and rebooting, is Driver Cleaner v1.5 still OK even though it hasn't been updated since 2006? What about Driver Sweeper?

Thank you in advance.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:47 AM   #2
Dyre Straits
Rage3D Veteran

Dyre Straits is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by antdude View Post
Hi!

Assuming after doing a normal uninstall and rebooting, is Driver Cleaner v1.5 still OK even though it hasn't been updated since 2006? What about Driver Sweeper?

Thank you in advance.
Never use any of them here. I've used ATI cards since the early PCI 8 MB All-in-Wonder card. Just run the installer and it uninstalls the older files and installs the new ones.

The one app I do use a lot is CCleaner. www.ccleaner.com
~Windows 7 x64 Professional~Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H~Intel I7-3770K~8x2 GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistic 1600 RAM (Dual Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX HD 7970 3 GB GDDR5~3 ViewSonic 24 inch LCDs in Eyefinity~SATA Dual Layer DVD RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~Windows 7 Pro x64~AND....250 GB XBOX 360~

Quote:
If you have an issue with what you said, please resolve it in private ;)
Dyre Straits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:21 AM   #3
karlotta
they are real

karlotta is still being judged by the masses

It depends, if you do RCs and betas, or you have some wacky install issue, they can help ( the drive cleaners ect...), but in using them you cant be afraid to do a format if it goes bad... I do not use them, i use the "catuninstaller" in AddRemove programs if i have some wacky issue on a install or removing a beta..then delete any folder form the ATI folder under C:\.
Some issues are from games that dont take to a new driver, they dont change the default render to the new one... (you have to delete the game config ect..) and the biggest issue is DotNET. Make sure you have the latest 2.0.x, a reinstall is a good fix

helpful stuff, is to turn off CF if you use it, before installing
karlotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:28 AM   #4
UberRN

UberRN is still being judged by the masses

I would recommend not using any uninstallers. Both from personal experience and from what have posted, they cause issues when reinstalling the newer drivers and video card will not be detected. The ATI's uninstall is adaquate.
UberRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2009, 01:02 PM   #5
Dyre Straits
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlotta View Post
It depends, if you do RCs and betas, or you have some wacky install issue, they can help ( the drive cleaners ect...), but in using them you cant be afraid to do a format if it goes bad... I do not use them, i use the "catuninstaller" in AddRemove programs if i have some wacky issue on a install or removing a beta..then delete any folder form the ATI folder under C:\.
Some issues are from games that dont take to a new driver, they dont change the default render to the new one... (you have to delete the game config ect..) and the biggest issue is DotNET. Make sure you have the latest 2.0.x, a reinstall is a good fix

helpful stuff, is to turn off CF if you use it, before installing
Exactly! The one time I used a drivercleaner I had to format and reinstall Windows. Got kicked off another forum for this comment, too.
~Windows 7 x64 Professional~Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H~Intel I7-3770K~8x2 GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistic 1600 RAM (Dual Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX HD 7970 3 GB GDDR5~3 ViewSonic 24 inch LCDs in Eyefinity~SATA Dual Layer DVD RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~Windows 7 Pro x64~AND....250 GB XBOX 360~

Quote:
Old Feb 10, 2009, 02:05 PM   #6
EYE4LYFE
Radeon HD 6970

EYE4LYFE is still being judged by the masses

ATI Technologies

I've used Driver Cleaner Platinum/Professional on two separate occasions and ended up getting burned both times. As a result, I had to restore from a backup image twice. The first time I used it, I figured I must have screwed something up in the selection or something. Okay, my bad. Saved all my game/app settings and restored. The second time around, I made sure that I did everything correctly. Same issue, driver installation failures. Never again!

ATI's Catalyst Install Manager does it right. When I reboot, no left over drivers are found and automatically installed. The system detects the same card as an unknown VGA device. That's a beautiful thing. From there, installation of any Catalyst package is flawless.

Last edited by EYE4LYFE : Feb 10, 2009 at 02:08 PM.
EYE4LYFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2009, 02:32 PM   #7
MrsOldMX

MrsOldMX is still being judged by the masses

DriverSweeper. never had a problem with it
MrsOldMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2009, 02:48 PM   #8
caveman-jim
Retired

caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

If the ATI uninstall doesn't give the desired results, I use the method described here.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2009, 04:46 PM   #9
Humus
Coder

Humus is still being judged by the masses

I've never had a reason to uninstall any driver in many many years.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:25 AM   #10
antdude
An RadeANT!

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYE4LYFE View Post
I've used Driver Cleaner Platinum/Professional on two separate occasions and ended up getting burned both times...
Is Driver Cleaner not free anymore?
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:49 AM   #11
Dyre Straits
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by antdude View Post
Is Driver Cleaner not free anymore?
The one known officially as "Driver Cleaner" is no longer free, no.

Quote:
Old Feb 11, 2009, 04:12 AM   #12
badboy
RIP Paul Gray

badboy once held a door open for a complete strangerbadboy once held a door open for a complete strangerbadboy once held a door open for a complete strangerbadboy once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsOldMX View Post
DriverSweeper. never had a problem with it
QFT!
Driver Sweeper is the best there is

http://phyxion.net/

And its FREE!

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 11:14 AM   #13
nanohead
Too many Radeons to list

nanohead is still being judged by the masses

Since a mid year release last year, they made modifications to Cat installer's usage of .Net to enable to do a more thorough job of driver replacement.

I have used Driver Cleaner for years, and paid for the Pro version, but I've noticed that it doesn't really add anything anymore, especially with Vista's improved handling of drivers (including the elimination of Cab files) and the maturation of .Net.

The only thing that the driver cleaners can add any value to is the removal of errant registry settings, but it seems that Cat installer has cleaned up its act such that they might not be needed anymore.

Driver Cleaner is a much MUCH more thorough product than Driver Sweeper. But for Cat packages it might not be needed anymore. I do agree with karlotta though, that when you install RC or Betas, or even Hotfixes, these cleaners can have some value (as ATI always confuses us with how to use them, and when to use them).

I do use Driver Cleaner still with Realtek audio drivers, which occasionally bork themselves, and occasionally with ATI hotfixes. Other than that, don't use it anymore

Stormcrow ASUS Sabertooth 990FX, Phenom 960T Unlocked 6 Cores@4.1Ghz Corsair H60 Water Cooled, 2x XFX 7950 in Crossfire Water Cooled w Swiftech, 8GB GSKIL Ripjaws, 5x120GB SSD RAID 5 Array
nanohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:53 PM   #14
Oversearch
Radeon HD 6670

Oversearch is still being judged by the masses

Ya, I haven't even bothered uninstalling old drivers in quite some time. The only problems I ever remember having were with CCC and .NET back when CCC first came out. Other than that, I just run the installer right on top of the old drivers and it always works fine.
Intel Q6600 @ 333x9 [] Giga-Byte P35-DS3R [] 6GB GSkill DDR2-800 4-4-5 [] Radeon HD 2900 XT 512MB [] Corsair C300 64 GB SSD + 2x WD 320GB RAID 1 [] Pioneer slot-load 16x DVD [] Lite-On 32x12x40x CDRW [] ESI Juli@ -> Practical Devices XM4 -> AudioTechnica A900 headphones [] 23" NEC MultiSync EA231 WMI Monitor @ 1080p [] Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Last edited by Oversearch : Feb 11, 2009 at 09:53 PM. Reason: grammar
Oversearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 05:19 AM   #15
kn00tcn
zero-zero

kn00tcn is still being judged by the masses

DC is free if you kept the old files from like 2005, but i havent used it since 7.10/7.12 with an x800xtpe AGP, & that's about the time the omega drivers started failing to clean install (worked overtop previous omegas though, while all previous ones i DC'ed)

my xp & 2k AGP systems i left on omega 7.12 & 7.10, while this vista64 i always install overtop, no cleaning no nothing, same for xp64 here & a 4850 i put in at work with xp32

EDIT: you're the guy with the video crashing issue... well then... though didnt you find out that it was a directdraw issue?
OpenGL startup crash fix #1 / fix #2 (for < radeon 6000 cards?)
better crossfire for Section8 Prejudice, Hydrophobia, UDK
kn00tcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 09:12 AM   #16
antdude
An RadeANT!

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn00tcn View Post
DC is free if you kept the old files from like 2005, but i havent used it since 7.10/7.12 with an x800xtpe AGP, & that's about the time the omega drivers started failing to clean install (worked overtop previous omegas though, while all previous ones i DC'ed)

my xp & 2k AGP systems i left on omega 7.12 & 7.10, while this vista64 i always install overtop, no cleaning no nothing, same for xp64 here & a 4850 i put in at work with xp32

EDIT: you're the guy with the video crashing issue... well then... though didnt you find out that it was a directdraw issue?
Yeah, these old ones are easy to get BUT are they safe and still useful today? ATI drivers change and stuff. Iam having problems with blue screens ( http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?p=1335793070 ) and people think I need to uninstall, clear out ATI crap, and reinstall) to fix it. I haven't tried it yet.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 12:54 PM   #17
Falcon1
Free Bird

Falcon1 is still being judged by the masses

I bought Driver Cleaner.net and never regret it!
Old Feb 14, 2009, 01:21 PM   #18
antdude
An RadeANT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon1 View Post
I bought Driver Cleaner.net and never regret it!
Ah, it is not worth the money to buy that I rarely use or just use once. I don't think I need to use a driver cleaner now since I found a workaround and it is a bug in the newer ATI drivers.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 05:51 PM   #19
howard stern
EVGA GTX 680 SC

howard stern is still being judged by the masses

Drive sweeper works great, never had an issue using it and I upgrade to just about every new Ati driver. Perfect 10
howard stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:15 AM   #20
Redshirt_X
...dammit!

Redshirt_X can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRedshirt_X can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRedshirt_X can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

If memory serves, there's a small but relatively effective uninstaller executable (aticimun.exe or so on) lumped in with the driver package itself. I haven't had to use it on the Vista side in many moons (it was part of my regular XP x64 uninstall routine), but thanks to a stupid driver rollback flaking out I think I need to now...

1. "OMG IT'S COMING!!!"
2. "OMG IT'S HERE!!!!!"
3. "....wait a minute. This isn't the Second Coming! This sucks!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb2k5 View Post
I like them tall and petite.
Redshirt_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2009, 04:05 PM   #21
The PIT
Radeon HD 6970

The PIT is still being judged by the masses

At the end of the day if companies wrote their un-installers properly there wouldn't be a need for third party software.
It's just lazy sloppy programming which causes problems.
The PIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2009, 04:39 PM   #22
jam2k

jam2k is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard stern View Post
Drive sweeper works great, never had an issue using it and I upgrade to just about every new Ati driver. Perfect 10
+1
jam2k is offline   Reply With Quote