Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming Forums » PC Gaming » PC Gaming Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Support The Rage3D community looks forward to helping you find a solution to the problems you're having with PC games, old and new.

"

Old Jan 19, 2009, 04:38 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
xCLAVEx
Gone

xCLAVEx is still being judged by the masses

Default Does Witcher crash on you a x64 users?

Was reading somewhere that Witcher might be crashing frequently because of memory address limitations of x32 operating systems but that it doesn't happen on x64 operating systems. My question is simple; do any of you guys running x64 and Vista have any crash problems with Witcher?
Old Jan 19, 2009, 04:47 PM   #2
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar can recite pi backwardsGanjaStar can recite pi backwardsGanjaStar can recite pi backwardsGanjaStar can recite pi backwardsGanjaStar can recite pi backwardsGanjaStar can recite pi backwardsGanjaStar can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
Was reading somewhere that Witcher might be crashing frequently because of memory address limitations of x32 operating systems but that it doesn't happen on x64 operating systems. My question is simple; do any of you guys running x64 and Vista have any crash problems with Witcher?

never had crashes in both xp32 or vista64. well i did have the crashes in the first level that were later fixed with patch 1.2 and beyond, but nothing else.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 05:31 PM   #3
xCLAVEx
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaStar View Post
never had crashes in both xp32 or vista64. well i did have the crashes in the first level that were later fixed with patch 1.2 and beyond, but nothing else.
It crashes at random for me all the time. Getting really frusterating. Seems to crash more frequently when I have everything set at max. If I turn AA off, it seems to be a bit more stable, but I cannot tell for certain.

EDIT: Great, now that it's been moved to the ghost forum, I'm sure to not get any help.

Last edited by xCLAVEx : Jan 19, 2009 at 05:42 PM.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:06 PM   #4
Dyre Straits
Rage3D Veteran

Dyre Straits is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I've played the life out of it on Vista 32-bit and originally, when it first came out, under XP Pro 32-bit. Prior to installing the Enhanced Edition, I was having some crash problems. After upgrading it, for free, to the EE, most of my crashing problems stopped. One common thought that prevails about the crashing is that it's due to the TAGES copy protection. The crashes 'seem' to occur more often when the game accesses the DVD. Since I upgraded for free -- as a registered owner of the original DVD -- I no longer have to place my game DVD in the drive to play. Now, I rarely ever have any crashes due to the game.

In fact, I've been playing it the past few nights under Windows 7 Beta 64-bit and having a terrific time with it.

If you have the EE version installed, and do not have to place the DVD disk into the drive, you might want to check your RAM. Use Memtest86+ and run a good overnight test to see if things are OK in that department.

Also, if you're doing any overclocking, try running the game at your system's default settings as a test as well.

Hope things can be resolved for you. It's a GREAT game!
~Windows 7 x64 Professional~Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H~Intel I7-3770K~8x2 GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistic 1600 RAM (Dual Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX HD 7970 3 GB GDDR5~3 ViewSonic 24 inch LCDs in Eyefinity~SATA Dual Layer DVD RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~Windows 7 Pro x64~AND....250 GB XBOX 360~

Quote:
If you have an issue with what you said, please resolve it in private ;)
Old Jan 20, 2009, 01:15 PM   #5
xCLAVEx
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyre Straits View Post

If you have the EE version installed, and do not have to place the DVD disk into the drive, you might want to check your RAM. Use Memtest86+ and run a good overnight test to see if things are OK in that department.

Also, if you're doing any overclocking, try running the game at your system's default settings as a test as well.

Hope things can be resolved for you. It's a GREAT game!

Thanks, but memtest86+ seems like a lot of hassel to use (have to burn it to a CD in order to use it?). I don't have a burning program installed on my comp and my floppy drive doesn't work. Is there an easier program to use for mem testing? Preferrably in Windows?
Old Jan 20, 2009, 02:31 PM   #6
Dyre Straits
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Thanks, but memtest86+ seems like a lot of hassel to use (have to burn it to a CD in order to use it?). I don't have a burning program installed on my comp and my floppy drive doesn't work. Is there an easier program to use for mem testing? Preferrably in Windows?
You can try this one, but, I haven't used it myself and can't vouch for it personally:

http://hcidesign.com/memtest/
~Windows 7 x64 Professional~Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H~Intel I7-3770K~8x2 GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistic 1600 RAM (Dual Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX HD 7970 3 GB GDDR5~3 ViewSonic 24 inch LCDs in Eyefinity~SATA Dual Layer DVD RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~Windows 7 Pro x64~AND....250 GB XBOX 360~

Quote:
Old Jan 20, 2009, 04:43 PM   #7
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar can recite pi backwardsGanjaStar can recite pi backwardsGanjaStar can recite pi backwardsGanjaStar can recite pi backwardsGanjaStar can recite pi backwardsGanjaStar can recite pi backwardsGanjaStar can recite pi backwards

Quote:

you can use an usb stick to memtest

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/...g/vidcard/34/5

just use that link to set up the usb stick and put memtest on it and then boot from the stick

in windows mem testing is not the way to go, IMO.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 06:00 PM   #8
xCLAVEx
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaStar View Post
you can use an usb stick to memtest

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/...g/vidcard/34/5

just use that link to set up the usb stick and put memtest on it and then boot from the stick

in windows mem testing is not the way to go, IMO.
Will give it a try. Thanks both of you.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 09:14 PM   #9
xCLAVEx
Gone

No memory errors that I found after letting it run for about 2 hours (I can let it run for longer but I doubt it will find anything).

On the Witcher forums though, I did find a 122 page thread of Witcher related crashes though (even post EE version), so I'm definately not the only one having issues.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 12:13 AM   #10
FMT
Rage3D Veteran

FMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Mine crashed so much on Vista 64 bit I just uninstalled it and said F it.

Look like it was a fun game, but it just crashed to randomly for my liking. I have lots of over games that dont crash. And ive run memtest+ for like 12 hours and no errors. I think it just might be something with my system it doesnt like.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 12:18 AM   #11
xCLAVEx
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMT View Post
Mine crashed so much on Vista 64 bit I just uninstalled it and said F it.

Look like it was a fun game, but it just crashed to randomly for my liking. I have lots of over games that dont crash. And ive run memtest+ for like 12 hours and no errors. I think it just might be something with my system it doesnt like.
Yeah, it's beginning to drive me nuts since I have no idea when it will crash.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 01:16 AM   #12
Dyre Straits
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, it's beginning to drive me nuts since I have no idea when it will crash.
It's really sad...and aggravating...when things like this happen and you can't isolate the cause.

I've been playing the game through for the 5th time and have reached the Epilogue. Over the past few nights, I've played for several hours straight without any problems. But, do keep in mind that I'm presently playing under Windows 7 Beta 64-bit. I installed the game fresh on a new installation of Windows 7 Beta 64-bit, patched it up, installed the EE version and copied over my most recent saved games and just kept going.

I DO know that the earlier, pre-patched versions were a big headache even to me. But, even then, I could normally go for a couple of hours without a problem. I did learn to do a QuickSave [F5] quite frequently so as to not lose so much progress..."just in case" the game froze and/or crashed.

One other item that was suggested was to turn off Depth of Field in the ingame options. Also, you might try making sure the ingame resolution is the same as your Desktop.

Defragging the hard drive might help.

And, try putting the Pagefile/Swapfile on a completely separate hard drive from your system drive. I do that anyway all the time.

Good luck!

EDIT: Since the earlier post, I've completed the game again...no problems at all during the last few hours of play.

Quote:

Last edited by Dyre Straits : Jan 21, 2009 at 04:54 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:30 AM   #13
ImmortaLove
Radeon HD 6770

ImmortaLove is still being judged by the masses

That's odd. Mine never crashes.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 12:50 AM   #14
xCLAVEx
Gone

Ugh, I'm about ready to give up. I can't play this game when it is crashing every 10,15, or 30 minutes. This is retarded.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 01:07 AM   #15
ImmortaLove
Radeon HD 6770

ImmortaLove is still being judged by the masses

That really sucks.