Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Operating Systems
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Operating Systems Discussion topics on operating systems including all iterations of Windows, Linux, MacOS, BeOS, etc.

Old Dec 31, 2008, 01:06 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default Installing XP using USB drive...

any good guides recommended?
I've tried a few guides but certain parts of the guide don't work in Vista because of admin rights and things.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 01:44 PM   #2
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

make usb bootable
copy over the winxp files to usb

its not harder than that.
Have done it myself

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2008, 06:41 PM   #3
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
make usb bootable
copy over the winxp files to usb

its not harder than that.
Have done it myself
HP USB utility will allow me to do this?
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 31, 2008, 07:23 PM   #4
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Yeah, should do. Link
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2008, 09:07 PM   #5
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

So why do they have BartPE and all sorts of things listed on some of the guides?
Old Jan 1, 2009, 03:02 AM   #6
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Thats for running XP from a USB drive, not running setup to install XP into a fixed disk (IDE, SATA, SCSI, SAS).
Old Jan 1, 2009, 11:35 AM   #7
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Thats for running XP from a USB drive, not running setup to install XP into a fixed disk (IDE, SATA, SCSI, SAS).
http://www.eeeguides.com/2007/11/ins...usb-thumb.html
Old Jan 1, 2009, 02:56 PM   #8
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Windows PE is a deprecated Windows XP Pre-installation Environment used to prepare and install systems.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 04:56 PM   #9
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Old Jan 3, 2009, 11:51 AM   #10
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
So caveman...all i do is run that program, copy the i386 folder to the usb drive and run winnt.exe?
If so, do i also need to run smartdrv? I remember when I used to install Windows 2000 from dos, i had to run smartdrv to speed up the process.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 12:04 PM   #11
Chuki
Radeon Evergreen

Chuki is still being judged by the masses

It's not as simple as Vista or Win7, but here is the guide I use to put XP back on my optical driveless wind. Make sure you download version 10, it has all the programs you would need, but puts them all under one easy to use command line interface.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=111406

XP install wont run if you just copy files over, unlike vista where all you have to do is reformat your usb with fat32, copy the disk over and it runs. XP looks for a CD, so if its not there it wont run. With the tool above though you need to Leave the USB in and keep booting from it until you get your XP desktop then you can pull it out. Each restart it loads the PE environment so you can continue setup.

And a side note, make sure the partition your installing it too in XP setup is labled C, otherwise it wont work. If its not C do what you can to make it say C.

Last edited by Chuki : Jan 9, 2009 at 12:07 PM.
Chuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2009, 09:38 PM   #12
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuki View Post
It's not as simple as Vista or Win7, but here is the guide I use to put XP back on my optical driveless wind. Make sure you download version 10, it has all the programs you would need, but puts them all under one easy to use command line interface.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=111406

XP install wont run if you just copy files over, unlike vista where all you have to do is reformat your usb with fat32, copy the disk over and it runs. XP looks for a CD, so if its not there it wont run. With the tool above though you need to Leave the USB in and keep booting from it until you get your XP desktop then you can pull it out. Each restart it loads the PE environment so you can continue setup.

And a side note, make sure the partition your installing it too in XP setup is labled C, otherwise it wont work. If its not C do what you can to make it say C.
Thanks chuki, i'll try this.
I tried copying the windows 98se start up disk onto the usb drive using hp usb format tool and the system boots fine.
But when i run winnt.exe, it doesn't see the internal drive of the computer...it starts installing the files on the same usb drive.