Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Sep 4, 2008, 12:54 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
ZaP911
Come again?!

ZaP911 is still being judged by the masses

Default Quad vs Duo scaling tested, interesting results.

I keep hearing all the quad naysayers mentioning that quad core CPUs don't really offer much more improvement in games at the moment over dual core CPUs. Well, the below recent article from Legion Hardware says otherwise.

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=770

The Company of Heroes results were by far the most interesting, with performance numbers of quad cores almost double that of dual cores.
http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=770&p=3

Their conclusion:
Quote:
There were certainly a number of interesting results recorded when testing such a large range of processors with the Radeon HD 4870 X2. Perhaps the most interesting thing that we have noticed is how much faster the Core 2 Quad processors were when compared to the Core 2 Duo’s, this is not something that we have really seen before. This was really evident in Company of Heroes, where the Intel quad-core processors were roughly 100% faster than their dual-core parts.

While Company of Heroes was the most extreme example, all other games tested still gave the quad-core processors an advantage. Generally the performance margin between the Core 2 Duo and Phenom X4 processors was quite minimal, though more often than not the Intel dual-core processors did outperform the AMD quad-core parts. This is neither new nor surprising, as we have seen this time and time again in the past.
ZaP911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 12:57 PM   #2
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Another interesting thing is that shows where the 4870x2 is cpu bound (<~3.3ghz on Core 2).

I'm interested to see what Crislers response to this is.

Last edited by caveman-jim : Sep 4, 2008 at 01:03 PM.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 02:01 PM   #3
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

CPU scaling tests @1920x1200, 8xAA and 16xAF?
What´s the deal with that?

Looks pretty good for quads though.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 4, 2008, 02:44 PM   #4
bigtabs
is a happy chappy

bigtabs is still being judged by the masses

I prefer real world benching because it delivers results that are relevant to me. Of course all those quad-core and 4800 using people who game at 800*600 are going to be upset.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 03:26 PM   #5
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtabs View Post
I prefer real world benching because it delivers results that are relevant to me. Of course all those quad-core and 4800 using people who game at 800*600 are going to be upset.
I am upset damnit!
Old Sep 4, 2008, 03:33 PM   #6
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

Aww man, eww to the CoH Phenom numbers
Old Sep 4, 2008, 03:40 PM   #7
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

ya rly. definitely making a q6600 look good right now.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 03:46 PM   #8
{WOR}lock
Vault Dweller

{WOR}lock is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
ya rly. definitely making a q6600 look good right now.

With those price drops you posted about also, there's less reason to fear reckless overclocking of them either. I'm pretty sure mine would do 4Ghz on water, I've had mine boot at 4Ghz, only heat was stopping me from benching / stability testing. Soon maybe....

Last edited by {WOR}lock : Sep 4, 2008 at 04:09 PM.
{WOR}lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 01:22 PM   #9
ZaP911
Come again?!

ZaP911 is still being judged by the masses

With the recent quad core price drops (A Q6600 can be had for $180 now), their introduction to laptops and the tendency for more and more developers to take advantage of the extra cores, I can see dual-core CPUs being phased out real soon, just like single core CPUs has been. That's progress for you.
ZaP911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 01:53 PM   #10
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaP911 View Post
With the recent quad core price drops (A Q6600 can be had for $180 now), their introduction to laptops and the tendency for more and more developers to take advantage of the extra cores, I can see dual-core CPUs being phased out real soon, just like single core CPUs has been. That's progress for you.
Looks good to me! I say keep it up! Moar cores for chores!
Old Sep 5, 2008, 02:29 PM   #11
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Good. Someone I know just built a PC and got a dual core. I asked him why the hell he didn't get a quad and he said he "didn't need one, two cores is enough".

What an idiot.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 02:42 PM   #12
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

As long as Celerons exist, we'll still have single and dual core waste of space procs. With the rise in performance of ultralow power chips from Via and Intel, the celeron and low end dual cores dont make sense in terms of their cost vs. perf/watt. I'd rather see 1ghz quad cores with 512kb L2 for $75 than 2Ghz Dual core celerons for $60.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 09:14 PM   #13
dynamis
Flame Swordsman

dynamis is still being judged by the masses

wait, so my [email protected] was a bad idea?

i7 2600K
AsRock Z68 Extreme4
Corsair H60
Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR3 1600
Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W
Thermaltake Armor
Crucial m4 128GB
WD Caviar Green 2TB
HIS HD 4850
Panasonic L42D2
X-Fi Platinum

Q9300
GIGABYTE EP45-UD3P
Corsair H50
8GB DDR2 800
Intel X-25M 80GB
WD Caviar Black 1TB
WD Caviar Green 2TB
BFG GS 450W
ZOTAC 8400GS

E8400
ABIT IP35-E
4GB DDR2 800
Antec NeoHe 550W
XFX HD 5450

Last edited by dynamis : Sep 7, 2008 at 09:17 PM.
dynamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2008, 10:27 PM   #14
Anth Seebel

Anth Seebel is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I keep hearing all the quad naysayers mentioning that quad core CPUs don't really offer much more improvement in games at the moment over dual core CPUs. Well, the below recent article from Legion Hardware says otherwise.

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=770

The Company of Heroes results were by far the most interesting, with performance numbers of quad cores almost double that of dual cores.
http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=770&p=3

Their conclusion:
OMG, Quad looking good for Dawn of War 2 (CoH engine).
3007WFP-HC
Anth Seebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2008, 11:02 PM   #15
TIKtak
Me

TIKtak is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Quad core on a laptop (especially on desktop replacements which they are most suited for) that isn't plugged in = "battery destroyer".
TIKtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 08:34 PM   #16
Pepsin
bananed

Pepsin is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerzwild View Post
Aww man, eww to the CoH Phenom numbers
I would take their AMD numbers with a grain of salt. The Q6600 wins against the Phenom 9950 most of the time, but it doesn't completely outclass it like that in any other review running any app or game
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...ance/page5.asp

Not saying the Phenom is the greatest CPU ever, but something is obviously wrong with their numbers. The relative performance of the X2's, C2D's and Phenoms suggests it's only using two of its cores for some reason (e.g. if they first installed the game with one of the X2 CPUs in the system and then switched CPUs without reinstalling). Or maybe some driver or game issue is hindering performance.

Last edited by Pepsin : Sep 9, 2008 at 08:41 PM.
Pepsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 05:18 PM   #17
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamis View Post
wait, so my [email protected] was a bad idea?
Hmm...overclocking... two cores vs four cores?

Seriously though, the price vs performance...who really wins?
Bires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:59 PM   #18
dynamis
Flame Swordsman

dynamis is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bires View Post
Hmm...overclocking... two cores vs four cores?

Seriously though, the price vs performance...who really wins?
what kind of cpu speed do you need to play today's games anyway? i had my [email protected] (pipes out MAD heat.. haha) with my GTX 260 OC.

i7 2600K
AsRock Z68 Extreme4
Corsair H60
Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR3 1600
Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W
Thermaltake Armor
Crucial m4 128GB
WD Caviar Green 2TB
HIS HD 4850
Panasonic L42D2
X-Fi Platinum

Q9300
GIGABYTE EP45-UD3P
Corsair H50
8GB DDR2 800
Intel X-25M 80GB
WD Caviar Black 1TB
WD Caviar Green 2TB
BFG GS 450W
ZOTAC 8400GS

E8400
ABIT IP35-E
4GB DDR2 800
Antec NeoHe 550W
XFX HD 5450
dynamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 12:04 AM   #19
DorXtar
SMILE!

DorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

It really depends what you do. I'd like to do fraps AND get good FPS. I think nothing less than a quad will do the task as smoovly.
2 Peter 3:3) For YOU know this first, that in the last days there will come ridiculers with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires 4) and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep [in death], all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning.” 5) For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice [...]

8) However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 9) Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.
Like 12Bass says, critical thinking and the scientific method are probably the best tools we have to avoid it. (bias)

However, this method relies on repeatable, falsifiable hypotheses and theories. Only an extremely small spectrum of time and space can be rendered into these, or at least a good approximation of such.

-RFtinkerer

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
DorXtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 06:20 PM   #20
Pepsin
bananed

Pepsin is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamis View Post
what kind of cpu speed do you need to play today's games anyway? i had my [email protected] (pipes out MAD heat.. haha) with my GTX 260 OC.
If you look at the results, you'll notice that even the slowest CPUs give you more than 60 FPS in most of the games, while the fastest ones are pumping out *hundreds* of frames per second.

Anything over 60 FPS average is fine to me. With most monitors you're limited to 60Hz anyway and with 60FPS average it'll not drop below 30 FPS minimum, which is still fine. With the fastest CPUs and Vsync enabled you're only using like 25% - 75% of your computer's potential.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 11:46 AM   #21
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

- I was pleased to see how the X2 4000+ did well; my boy has one in his rig with 8800GS SLI.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 12:09 AM   #22
BeardedClem
Nine and a half Courics

BeardedClem is still being judged by the masses

The benchmark has been updated and now Company of Heroes no longer gets double the frame rate like before. Curious if whatever the bug was before actually caused that high frame rate or caused it to be somehow over reported.

Thanks to OP for the link BTW. Nice to see a huge cpu test like this at an actual gaming resolution.
BeardedClem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2008, 06:44 PM   #23
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quad owns, everything else is bull**** including phenoms
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 07:35 PM   #24
JethroBodine
Banned

JethroBodine is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
Quad owns, everything else is bull**** including phenoms
Bah.

There wasn't one benchmark in that review where Quad made a difference you could notice without the FRAPs on- Quad was totally meaningless.

I used a QX6700 @ 3GHz in my main rig up until getting an E8400 @ 3GHz about 4 months ago.

I can't tell the difference.
JethroBodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 07:38 PM   #25
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

one thing this test highlighted, is that 'even' an X2 4000+ is capable of delivering the goods.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 07:40 PM   #26
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I had an X2 4200+ and sure as hell notice a difference to what I have now, but I never had a dual core Intel.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 08:30 PM   #27
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

yeah, I guess you would