Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Aug 10, 2008, 11:52 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
MaximilianRG
Radeon R420

MaximilianRG is still being judged by the masses

Default Installing XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 (???)

I just decided to order one of these for my new PC, having regrets about not using something better than the stock cooler. I want something less flimsy and with better mounting other than those push-pins I don't trust. So I bought the mounting bracket as well.

The only thing I am questioning now is how to apply AS-5 to this thing. I have read a few different ways of doing it. I don't see that the normal method posted on the AS-5 website will be best for this, because of the small gaps between the copper and aluminum on the contact surface. I can imagine there is more than one appropriate way to do this. But I want to think about it a bit and get some suggestions before actually doing it.
MaximilianRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:05 AM   #2
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I made a small ')(' on my CPU IHS for mounting mine. I cant remember which site but one did a comparo of different methods, and that worked the best for the easiest. For truely best application you need to fill the grooves adajacent to each heatpipe on the base, and the apply a small amount to the heatpipes themselves, and while mounting the heatsink make sure not to place the base down flat straight - do it from one side toward the other as you dont want to trap air in there.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 02:15 AM   #3
TIKtak
Me

TIKtak is still being judged by the masses

This may be helpful. But everyone has their own way.
TIKtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:18 PM   #4
MaximilianRG
Radeon R420

I think what I am going to do is follow the directions from the AS-5 site by putting a line of the stuff on the CPU that follows the chip underneath, as well as one dot of the stuff on the middle of each of the aluminum surfaces just right and left of the center heat pipe.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 06:51 AM   #5
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Crisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Crap now cannot find the thread with the link, instead of a dot put a small line of compound along the two inside aluminum strips.

Also be sure to first apply enough compound to properly seal up the cracks around the pipes.

#SapphireNation
Crisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 07:01 AM   #6
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisler View Post
Crap now cannot find the thread with the link, instead of a dot put a small line of compound along the two inside aluminum strips.

Also be sure to first apply enough compound to properly seal up the cracks around the pipes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIKtak View Post
This may be helpful. But everyone has their own way.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 08:47 PM   #7
MaximilianRG
Radeon R420

The stuff just came in today so I'll be doing this tonight. I am trying to decide wether I should mount it vertically or horizontally. I think there may be a benefit from mounting it horizontally so that the center copper tube mirrors the orientation of the cores underneath the heat spreader. But then again I think this will be a disadvantage of the northbridge because air will not pass over it as it would if the cooler were installed vertically.

Any suggestions?

One more thing... How do you go about filling the cracks? Theyre so small, I seems like delicate work. Especially without over-applying and making a mess.

Last edited by MaximilianRG : Aug 12, 2008 at 09:02 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 09:17 PM   #8
MaximilianRG
Radeon R420

Is it ok to apply thermal solution and place the heatsink down, then remove it to see how the thermal solution has spread, then place it back if acceptable?
Old Aug 12, 2008, 09:39 PM   #9
MaximilianRG
Radeon R420

I am thinking of NOT removing the coverings and exposing the double-sided tape on the backplate. I read a couple reviews from people that did it this way. Because the double sided tape is almost like crazy glue and is pretty permanent, I don't like that word.

Do you think there will be any problems from leaving the double-sided tape unexposed? I will have to install the cooler with the motherboard outside of the case, and If I need to remove the cooler I will have to remove the motherboard first since undoing the screws will leave the backplate free to slide around between the motherboard and backplate.

Any suggestions?
Old Aug 13, 2008, 01:30 AM   #10
MaximilianRG
Radeon R420

All done.

Installing this thing was a breeze. Now putting in that last motherboard screw up behind the heatsink, and plugging in the CPU power in the same area is another story. I also had a hell of a time removing the 24 pin motherboard power.

I decided on a horizontal installation, blowing air through the heatsink, upwards and out through the top fan. I also decided to apply the thermal solution exactly like shown on that link.

And most importantly of all, my PC still turns on!!! I freak out when building PC's and even more so when removing heatsinks/cpu's, motherboards, and re-installing them. I have a huge headache right now.

Anyways temps look much cooler. Although that is only half the reason I did this, the other half was to move away from the push pins, and to just have a better cooler. But I'm glad to see temps have improved a bit. I will post them later after some more testing.

Thanks everyone.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 07:45 AM   #11
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

'grats dude! I orienteted mine the say way. Had the same issue with the 4pin power connector too - plugged mine in before I screwed the board down, so I had some wiggle room.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 02:16 AM   #12
MaximilianRG
Radeon R420

Now I'm trying to figure out what I can do to cool off the northbridge and how much the northbridge temp. is affected by the direction of this heatsink.

http://pic.xfastest.com/sxs112/ASUS/...Premium/03.jpg

I am assuming the motherboard temperature reported in various programs is the temperature of the northbridge and southbridge? What are acceptable temps for them?