Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support Discussion and Technical support forum for AMD's Radeon Software.

Old Aug 10, 2008, 03:18 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
acroig
Master Troll

acroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Default List of games that need renaming of exe to get AA working

Title says it all. I used UT3.exe and was able to get AA working in the following titles. I hope ATI fixes this in upcoming drivers (currently using 8.7s):

Blacksite: Area 51 (UE3 game, was never able to get AA working on my G80 with this one);

Turok: (UE3 game);

Medal of Honor: Airborne: (UE3 game);

FarCry: was able to get AA+HDR working by renaming exe (needs 1.4 BETA patch from Guru3D).

That's all for now. Will update as I find more.

Last edited by Dave : Jan 5, 2012 at 09:58 PM.
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 03:21 PM   #2
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

Stick'd for great justice! And cos acroig asked nicely.
Jokerzwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 03:22 PM   #3
acroig
Master Troll

acroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Too kind, thanks.

I hope everyone updates this as necessary (like is there a way to get AA in TimeShift?).
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 10, 2008, 03:49 PM   #4
narciso
Rage3D Veteran

narciso is still being judged by the masses

You could add Stranglehold and Frontlines Fuel of War.
narciso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 03:52 PM   #5
acroig
Master Troll

Excellent, thanks!

Just to verify, you were able to get AA to work by renaming the exe's, right?
Old Aug 10, 2008, 04:34 PM   #6
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

Frontlines fuel of war has its own internal AA settings so there isn't really a need for a CATAI profile to force it.

Blacksite and Stranglehold should already have CATAI profiles to enable AA since I asked for them at the same time as other UT3 engined games (Roboblitz etc)

I even went to the trouble to get Fury workings with AA (as thats a MMO that uses the unreal engine) ... except that game is now shut down.

Last edited by spyre : Aug 10, 2008 at 04:37 PM.
spyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 04:51 PM   #7
narciso
Rage3D Veteran

It seems you have a different fontlines fuel of war game, because my copy doesn't have any AA options ingame.
Stranglehold, last time I've tried it won't have AA unless the exe is renamed.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 04:54 PM   #8
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

Hmmm I just checked FFOW it doesn't have AA ingame, I must have been thinking of another game.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 04:57 PM   #9
narciso
Rage3D Veteran

I'm glad you straight that up
Just thinking, isn't there any vacancy for ATI beta tester?
Old Aug 10, 2008, 05:03 PM   #10
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyre View Post
Blacksite and Stranglehold should already have CATAI profiles to enable AA since I asked for them at the same time as other UT3 engined games (Roboblitz etc)
I'm sure you asked but it didn't seem to make the cut.

What about TimeShift? Is there any way of forcing AA on that one (nV can't do it either, AFAIK).

As always, thanks for checking into this.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 05:37 PM   #11
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

@ acroig

Well if it doesn't work with AA when renaming it either UT3.exe or Oblivion.exe then no. You have to try both as each one does different things to get AA working. If one of them works let me know.

@ narciso

I was asked if there were any people I would recomend as a beta tester I will put your name forward (as long as you are over 18 years old which you have to be to sign the NDA) PM me your name and email address and I will give it to AMD/ATI.

Ontopic:

Renaming the Eve Online exe from eve.exe to oblivion.exe gets you AA, but theres no way for normal people to know that since the game refuses to run if you change the exe name. Something else I told them to add to the drivers.

Last edited by spyre : Aug 10, 2008 at 05:44 PM.
spyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 05:49 PM   #12
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

nomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
What about TimeShift? Is there any way of forcing AA on that one (nV can't do it either, AFAIK).
I gave up on that since I finished the game, uninstalled it and I don't feel the need for it anymore.
probably two-three years later somebody will get AA working for timeshift.
nomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 08:33 PM   #13
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyre View Post
@ acroig

Well if it doesn't work with AA when renaming it either UT3.exe or Oblivion.exe then no. You have to try both as each one does different things to get AA working. If one of them works let me know.
Tried them both, no dice. I guess it's just not possible. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 08:06 AM   #14
Hans
Radeon R420

Hans is still being judged by the masses

Drakensang: The Dark Eye -> bioshock.exe

Note: Only bioshock.exe works!

Renamed into bioshock.exe this RPG is absolutely jaggy-free from 8xAA upwards and looks stunning with 24xED-AA plus Quality-AAA.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 08:18 AM   #15
AlexV
Radeon Northern Islands

AlexV is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Tried them both, no dice. I guess it's just not possible. Thanks for the suggestion.
TimeShift is fully deferred AFAIR, and not based on UE3, so the UE3 hack won't work on it, just like it won't work on Stalker.
AlexV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 08:32 AM   #16
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexV View Post
TimeShift is fully deferred AFAIR, and not based on UE3, so the UE3 hack won't work on it, just like it won't work on Stalker.
Right, it's a proprietary engine (Saber?).
Old Aug 13, 2008, 08:45 AM   #17
AlexV
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Right, it's a proprietary engine (Saber?).
Saber3D, yeah. Quite impressive really, I like it a lot personally.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 09:09 AM   #18
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Saber3D, yeah. Quite impressive really, I like it a lot personally.
Same here, very underated game. I like it enough to keep bitchin' about AA.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 05:14 PM   #19
Skinner
tweaking for life.

Skinner is still being judged by the masses

FFOW works just out the box with CCC AA. Only the perf. is quite jerky.

If someone ever find a fix to let Gothic3 be AA'ed let me know.
It would also be nice if it ever scales with CF, but I'm afraid the game is buggy coded.

Last edited by Skinner : Aug 16, 2008 at 05:18 PM.
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 07:53 PM   #20
Hans
Radeon R420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinner View Post
If someone ever find a fix to let Gothic3 be AA'ed let me know.
It would also be nice if it ever scales with CF, but I'm afraid the game is buggy coded.
gothic3.exe -> bioshock.exe

But keep in mind that as soon as you rename gothic3.exe you disable the crossfire profile for Gothic3 and that the shadows will start to flicker. You'll have to sacrifice shadows for AA. The crossfire profile for Gothic3 was no performance profile. It was meant to fix the flickering shadows.

Gothic3 scales indeed very poorly under Crossfire. 10% to 30% I'd say.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 08:29 PM   #21
Skinner
tweaking for life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
gothic3.exe -> bioshock.exe

But keep in mind that as soon as you rename gothic3.exe you disable the crossfire profile for Gothic3 and that the shadows will start to flicker. You'll have to sacrifice shadows for AA. The crossfire profile for Gothic3 was no performance profile. It was meant to fix the flickering shadows.

Gothic3 scales indeed very poorly under Crossfire. 10% to 30% I'd say.
thanx for the tip, will try it later. Single HD4870 perf wil propably be enough to keep it going I think.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 08:32 PM   #22
Hans
Radeon R420

Quote:
thanx for the tip, will try it later. Single HD4870 perf wil propably be enough to keep it going I think.
I think so too. Single 4870 should be enough and you can use AA and Shadows.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 09:31 PM   #23
AlexV
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
It's being worked on(performance and CF scaling, not AA). The 8.54s should have some Gothic3 improvements already.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 07:52 AM   #24
Skinner
tweaking for life.

Quote:
It's being worked on(performance and CF scaling, not AA). The 8.54s should have some Gothic3 improvements already.
Well, I just think the engine is poorly programmed for multiGPU's anyway (my GX2 did also a bad job), but it play's fast enough anyway with one core. BTW, Bioshock and boxed AA don't do a lot of coverage, I will try with edge detect later.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 05:36 PM   #25
AlexV
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Well, I just think the engine is poorly programmed for multiGPU's anyway (my GX2 did also a bad job), but it play's fast enough anyway with one core.
AFAIK SLi has a profile for it, and thus you get some amount of scaling. CF doesn't. It's being worked on. The 8.54s improve G3 significantly IME, but not necessarily in terms of CF scaling.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 04:37 PM   #26
Skinner
tweaking for life.

Quote:
AFAIK SLi has a profile for it, and thus you get some amount of scaling. CF doesn't. It's being worked on. The 8.54s improve G3 significantly IME, but not necessarily in terms of CF scaling.
A well it's nice to know. It's still a game I have to play for the most part.

Last edited by Skinner : Aug 19, 2008 at 04:42 PM.
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 07:15 AM   #27
Hans
Radeon R420

Quote:
BTW, Bioshock and boxed AA don't do a lot of coverage, I will try with edge detect later.
I've just checked out Gothic3 with renaming into bioshock.exe and 24xED-AA plus Quality-AAA --> completely jaggy-free + much better overall image quality.

With crossfire, mind you. Unfortunately you'll have to do without shadows when renaming.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 09:29 AM   #28
Skinner
tweaking for life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
I've just checked out Gothic3 with renaming into bioshock.exe and 24xED-AA plus Quality-AAA --> completely jaggy-free + much better overall image quality.

With crossfire, mind you. Unfortunately you'll have to do without shadows when renaming.

Still keeping jaggies here.
Running 8.54 and two X2's

Btw, is there an exe for AA in Alone in the Dark?
Old Aug 24, 2008, 11:03 AM   #29
Hans
Radeon R420

Quote:
Still keeping jaggies here.
Running 8.54 and two X2's
Haven't I told you yet (hehe) that Post Processing plays an important role to force AA in Gothic3?

Post Processing: Off is allowed
Post Processing: Overglow Effect is allowed
Post Processing: Depth of Field is not allowed
Old Aug 24, 2008, 11:19 AM   #30
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Btw, is there an exe for AA in Alone in the Dark?
AFAIK there's only 2 AA exe tricks, UT3.exe and Oblivion.exe. If those two don't work then you're SOL.