Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jul 12, 2008, 11:30 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

Default Has Readyboost gotten any better?

So I was in Wal Mart today and bought a 2gb Sandisk Cruzer Flash drive. Was only 12 bucks and I read on the package that it supported Readyboost so I bought it just so I could try that feature out. Always been curious about it.

I ran a search for threads on Readyboost and saw the general concensus was that it really didn't do much but all the discussion as from awhile ago... and definitely pre-SP1. What's the state of the feature nowadays? Still the same? Has it been improved? Anyone use it and like it?

I just turned it on so not sure yet if it's doin' anything for me. I defintely see the Flash drive's light blinking though so it's doing something.

Last edited by Jokerzwild : Jul 12, 2008 at 11:42 PM.
Jokerzwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 11:40 PM   #2
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

It is awesome on a low ram system. On my work comp where I had 1Gb ram it turned an unusable system in a usable one. On my HTPC with 1Gb it really helped, too. If you have 2Gb or more, then the benefits will be less, until you run out of physical ram.

For $12, plug it in, set it up to use all the space except ~ 200mb, and forget about it. Except for the extra 200mb, which you use to keep a copy of the last set of drivers you installed, so if you need to nuke n pave you've got them all in one spot ready to go (including storage drivers if you have a raid or ahci controller not natively deteced by the install DVD).
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 11:45 PM   #3
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Good deal, I got it set to use 1800mb now. Should I format it NTFS? I think it came formatted FAT 16.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 12, 2008, 11:50 PM   #4
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

FAT32 would be best for readyboost and general compatibilty.

Have a look at this - http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/arch...02/615199.aspx
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 12:18 AM   #5
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
FAT32 would be best for readyboost and general compatibilty.

Have a look at this - http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/arch...02/615199.aspx
Excellent! Thanks jim .

Hell for 12 bucks it's worth it just for the placebo effect . Also I can use it to carry my favorite pron pics anywhere I go!