Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Off-Topic Forums » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

"

Old Jan 1, 2008, 03:10 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Pr3tty F1y
Rage3D Veteran

Pr3tty F1y is still being judged by the masses

Default 2002 Hyundai Accent making a whirling noise.

Alrighty, I just moved to Tulsa, OK and I don't know anyone here and I definitely don't know of any good auto repair services.

Anyway, my Hyundai Accent (53,000 miles) is making a whirling noise under the hood that isn't super loud (I can only hear it when I'm not accelerating because the hum of the engine drowns it out), but it's starting to annoy me. The car doesn't seem to be losing any power or handling differently and my temp gauge is dead in the middle of where it's supposed to be. It happens when the AC is off so I'm fairly sure it's not that.

The main issue for me is that I've never had a situation where I need to get a car repair done and don't have a car I could borrow from a family member/friend to get me through in the interim.

Initially I thought it was a belt, which my prior mechanic replaced before the 1000mile trip to Tulsa. However, the whirl came back so I'm thinking it may be the water pump. I called the local Hyundai dealership and for the water pump alone they said $350 and they also recommended changing the timing belt which would push the total up to $550. I would really rather not pay that much, especially that I don't know an exact cause.

But in any case I'm up for suggestions on possible causes and recommendations of any chain-type auto services (or if you're in the Tulsa area, any local recommendations). Also, what do you guys do when your car needs repaired and you don't have access to another one? Rent a car? Cab? Hang around the mechanic's shop? Probably a stupid question, but as far as correcting this type of problem I'm not sure of how much time it would take so any advice is appreciated.

You're dead.
Your friends are dead.
Your family's dead.
Your f**king pets are being skinned alive.
Your mom's a f**king whore.
You suck at life.
The whole world hates you.
You're going to hell.
Live with it.

GAME OVER

Last edited by Pr3tty F1y : Jan 1, 2008 at 03:12 PM.
Pr3tty F1y is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 04:11 PM   #2
OverclockN'
Rage3D Spammer

OverclockN' once held a door open for a complete strangerOverclockN' once held a door open for a complete strangerOverclockN' once held a door open for a complete stranger

It's really hard to imagine a whirling noise...is that the only description you can give us?

Can you spare any more details?
Just Finished: Splinter Cell: Conviction (PC)

Now Reading: Cardinal of the Kremlin (Tom Clancy)
Just Finished: The Remaining: Refugees (DJ Molles)
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 04:25 PM   #3
Pr3tty F1y
Rage3D Veteran

Well, I don't really have anything around to record it. It's like a whirling squeak. It's not hard like a chirp. It's not a long squeal either, it's cyclical. Perhaps 3 squeaks per second.

Like I said, it's mostly heard while idling/drifting to a stop, but if I'm driving along a very smooth road surface that doesn't generate a lot of noise, I can definitely still hear it while I'm moving.

When I first turn the vehicle on, it's rather quiet/unnoticeable from inside the cab, but as soon as I drive it, it gets to the level where I can hear it inside the car.

You're dead.
Your friends are dead.
Your family's dead.
You suck at life.
You're going to hell.
Live with it.

GAME OVER
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 1, 2008, 04:47 PM   #4
GRimm862
Banned

GRimm862 is still being judged by the masses

Sounds like a squeaky belt to me.
GRimm862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 04:54 PM   #5
Pr3tty F1y
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRimm862 View Post
Sounds like a squeaky belt to me.
Well, thats what I thought, but would a water pump make the same type of squeak/whirl noise?

My real worry is that I'm making a very minimal salary (I'm a grad student now) and I know no one else to borrow a car from or to guilt into shuttling me around so if my car breaks down, I'm kinda screwed so I want to take any preventive care that I need to to keep my car going good.

You're dead.
Your friends are dead.
Your family's dead.
You suck at life.
You're going to hell.
Live with it.

GAME OVER
Old Jan 1, 2008, 05:54 PM   #6
OverclockN'
Rage3D Spammer

OverclockN' once held a door open for a complete strangerOverclockN' once held a door open for a complete strangerOverclockN' once held a door open for a complete stranger

Also sounds like a loose/slipping belt to me. I have a similar sound on my Vette. It makes a whee-whee-whee sound and is coming directly from the front of the engine. I put my ear directly over the belt and it was coming from there for sure. The belt is in perfect condition, so my guess is the auto-tensioner needs replacing.

Sounds like you may have a similar issue. Check the belt condition for starters. Lean close to the belt and see if you can determine that is the cause. Can you tell where it's coming from under the hood? If you can hear it when the car is idling, that should at least give you the opportunity to track it down.

Old Jan 1, 2008, 11:03 PM   #7
GRimm862
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Also sounds like a loose/slipping belt to me. I have a similar sound on my Vette. It makes a whee-whee-whee sound and is coming directly from the front of the engine. I put my ear directly over the belt and it was coming from there for sure. The belt is in perfect condition, so my guess is the auto-tensioner needs replacing.

Sounds like you may have a similar issue. Check the belt condition for starters. Lean close to the belt and see if you can determine that is the cause. Can you tell where it's coming from under the hood? If you can hear it when the car is idling, that should at least give you the opportunity to track it down.
Yeah. Pop the hood. (with engine off DON'T TOUCH BELTS WHEN ENGINE IS ON HAHA) Check to see how tight the belts are. If there is a loose one, see what it goes to then proceed to either;

A: Replace belt if it seems like some idiot put a huge belt on it.
B: Adjust any loose belts. By adjusting the AC compressor, powersteering, or the alternator. All should have brackets with adjusters.

And a lot of waterpumps have a "weephole" on them. when they are about to go they will leak water through a tiny little hole to let you know to replace it. See if there is any leaks coming from the pump.

The only other thing I can really think of would be... Just check the power steering fluid. Sounds stupid but some people wouldn't even know.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 12:41 PM   #8
Lt.Doomsday
Radeon HD 6850

Lt.Doomsday is still being judged by the masses

Belt Tensioner Pulley bearing is worn and is squeaking.
Lt.Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 01:32 PM   #9
Drunken Janitor
Blistering Barnacles!

Drunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDrunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:

The only other thing I can really think of would be... Just check the power steering fluid. Sounds stupid but some people wouldn't even know.
Shouldn't the power steering pump only make noise while turning? That's what it did on the crappola old caravan when it needed fluid and then when it needed to be replaced.
i5 4670 Haswell <> Gigabyte radeon 280x <> 8 gigs of some ram that happened to be on sale that week <> Asus Z87-K <> Some DVD burner that has been used for 3-4 computers - might be a pioneer <> Winblows. 8.1
Drunken Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 04:03 PM   #10
GRimm862
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Janitor View Post
Shouldn't the power steering pump only make noise while turning? That's what it did on the crappola old caravan when it needed fluid and then when it needed to be replaced.
Yeah thats true.

Lt. Doomsday nailed it on the head. Be sure to replace that or major engine damage will be on the way depending if its 0 clearance or not.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 01:56 PM   #11
Lt.Doomsday
Radeon HD 6850

Quote:
Yeah thats true.

Lt. Doomsday nailed it on the head. Be sure to replace that or major engine damage will be on the way depending if its 0 clearance or not.
I'm not sure with those cars, but with changing a belt the mechanic should have replaced the Belt Tensioner Pulley or the whole Tensioner Assembly also while he was under the hood.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 04:00 PM   #12
Pr3tty F1y
Rage3D Veteran

Thanks for all the help on this.

I've narrowed it down. It's definitely a belt. Not exactly sure what belt, but it *only* squeaks when the clutch is in (sitting idle or drifting) and if it's super cold out (well 18F here), it doesn't squeak at all.

Still trying to find a decent mechanic that's close to my apartment, but, thus far I can't find any at all in walking distance. I'm fairly confident that it'll hold for a while, but i still want to get it taken care of as quick as possible so thanks for the help on nailing down what it should be.

You're dead.
Your friends are dead.
Your family's dead.
You suck at life.
You're going to hell.
Live with it.

GAME OVER
Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:15 PM   #13
Cowzrul
Dazed and Confused

Cowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3tty F1y View Post
Thanks for all the help on this.

I've narrowed it down. It's definitely a belt. Not exactly sure what belt, but it *only* squeaks when the clutch is in (sitting idle or drifting) and if it's super cold out (well 18F here), it doesn't squeak at all.

Still trying to find a decent mechanic that's close to my apartment, but, thus far I can't find any at all in walking distance. I'm fairly confident that it'll hold for a while, but i still want to get it taken care of as quick as possible so thanks for the help on nailing down what it should be.
Can you not change the belts yourself? The mechanic will probably ass rape you with labor charges for something you can do yourself with hand tools in a matter of minutes. Unless you don't have any tools, in which case you should invest in a bottle of lube.
Cowzrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:21 PM   #14
OverclockN'
Rage3D Spammer

Wait a minute...

The noise happens when the clutch is depressed or not depressed? If the noise stops when you push in the clutch, it could be the throwout bearing.

You had mentioned the clutch, just trying to verify...

Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:26 PM   #15
Pr3tty F1y
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowzrul View Post
Can you not change the belts yourself? The mechanic will probably ass rape you with labor charges for something you can do yourself with hand tools in a matter of minutes. Unless you don't have any tools, in which case you should invest in a bottle of lube.
I have only some hand tools. I probably could do it myself if I had the right stuff, but I'm just not comfortable possibly screwing it up. There is a Firestone right across from my university so I might give them a try, but yah, either way I'm going to get raped by any mechanic for this.

I'm slightly less concerned about it now being that it looks to not be the timing belt or anything serious and the belt doesn't seem to be slipping, just squeaky (and only at idle). Either way my temp gauge isn't showing any over heating and my battery is recharging fine, but I'm still going to have to get it looked at sooner or later.

Thanks for all the helps d00ds.

You're dead.
Your friends are dead.
Your family's dead.
You suck at life.
You're going to hell.
Live with it.

GAME OVER
Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:28 PM   #16
OverclockN'
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3tty F1y View Post
I have only some hand tools. I probably could do it myself if I had the right stuff, but I'm just not comfortable possibly screwing it up. There is a Firestone right across from my university so I might give them a try, but yah, either way I'm going to get raped by any mechanic for this.

I'm slightly less concerned about it now being that it looks to not be the timing belt or anything serious and the belt doesn't seem to be slipping, just squeaky (and only at idle). Either way my temp gauge isn't showing any over heating and my battery is recharging fine, but I'm still going to have to get it looked at sooner or later.

Thanks for all the helps d00ds.
It's only a belt...

I'm sure some of us here could tell you exactly what to do, step by step if needed. No sense in spending your cash for a mechanic to swap a belt.

Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:28 PM   #17
Pr3tty F1y
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Wait a minute...

The noise happens when the clutch is depressed or not depressed? If the noise stops when you push in the clutch, it could be the throwout bearing.

You had mentioned the clutch, just trying to verify...

The noise only happens when the clutch is in or the car is in neutral (idling). So if I have the car on with it in neutral, it'll squeak. However, when driving in gear it's fine. Coming up to a stop light, when I depress the clutch, it then will squeak again, until I'm in gear and moving. Just by feel, the belt wheels aren't wobbly and the belt looks fairly tight.

You're dead.
Your friends are dead.
Your family's dead.
You suck at life.
You're going to hell.
Live with it.

GAME OVER
Old Jan 7, 2008, 08:47 AM   #18
Lt.Doomsday
Radeon HD 6850

When was the last time you added some fluid to the transmission?
Old Jan 7, 2008, 11:40 AM   #19
GRimm862
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Doomsday View Post
When was the last time you added some fluid to the transmission?
Tranny fluid is not as important in a manual set up. If it's a 2002 it should have sufficient gear oil to satisfy the tranny.