Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Computing Forums » Operating Systems
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Operating Systems Discussion topics on operating systems including all iterations of Windows, MacOS, BeOS, etc.

"
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Dec 27, 2007, 06:33 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Deftones
Boned
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: United States Iowaaaaaaa
Posts: 5,422
Deftones is still being judged by the masses


Default XP: removing "safely remove hardware" icon in sys tray

i have xp SP2 on an HP laptop. I recently decided it was easier to plug all my usb devices into a single usb hub plugged into my comp as opposed to having my devices plugged in all over my comp. Now I have a "safely remove hardware" icon in my system tray regarding the USB hub. I like to keep my desktop/quick launch/sys tray areas as cleanly as possible without any unnecessary icons. Is there a way to disable this icon in my system tray?
Deftones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 07:13 PM   #2
Elysian
No sir, I don't like it.
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: United States Austin, TX
Posts: 37,796
Elysian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Elysian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Elysian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Elysian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Elysian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Elysian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
i have xp SP2 on an HP laptop. I recently decided it was easier to plug all my usb devices into a single usb hub plugged into my comp as opposed to having my devices plugged in all over my comp. Now I have a "safely remove hardware" icon in my system tray regarding the USB hub. I like to keep my desktop/quick launch/sys tray areas as cleanly as possible without any unnecessary icons. Is there a way to disable this icon in my system tray?
don't use it, and it'll hide itself?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamHere View Post
So again you show your ignorance of law and testimony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamHere View Post
Come to my neighborhood and take a swing at me. I will kill you and I will walk.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 10:49 PM   #3
SpeckledJim
Rage3D Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,216
SpeckledJim is still being judged by the masses


Default

You could wait for it to disappear, but it probably won't if stuff is plugged/unplugged with any regularity. If you really want to remove it, set it to "Always hide" in the customize notifications window. (right click on task bar, then customize button).
SpeckledJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 30, 2007, 09:10 AM   #4
stormy13
Radeon HD 6970
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Canada Toronto.Ontario
Posts: 577
stormy13 is still being judged by the masses


Default

That and SATA drives are hot-swappable, though I wouldn't recommend trying it with the system drive.
stormy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 04:13 PM   #5
Elysian
No sir, I don't like it.
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: United States Austin, TX
Posts: 37,796
Elysian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Elysian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Elysian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Elysian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Elysian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Elysian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeckledJim View Post
You could wait for it to disappear, but it probably won't if stuff is plugged/unplugged with any regularity. If you really want to remove it, set it to "Always hide" in the customize notifications window. (right click on task bar, then customize button).
mine hides itself, even though i plug and unplug my zune every day.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamHere View Post
So again you show your ignorance of law and testimony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamHere View Post
Come to my neighborhood and take a swing at me. I will kill you and I will walk.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 05:54 PM   #6
mavis
piggott.
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 3,492
mavis is still being judged by the masses


Default

I found out how to hide the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon, as well as the WiFi/Connectivity icons, etc. I posted the solution at thinkpads.com about a year and a half ago - here's a link:

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=24768

There's a zip file you can download (in that thread) that I've been hosting this whole time - it's really easy to get rid of those icons (particularly useful for notebook owners as laptops usually have their own software for that stuff) ...

Hope this helps.
__________________
iMac 27" 3.4GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 3TB Fusion | AEBSx2
iPhone 5 | AppleTV 3 | Sony SA5000 | SensaPhonics 2X-S
mavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"unlisting" hardware from the Safely Remove Hardware list Lupine General Hardware 25 Mar 19, 2006 08:24 AM
Annoying "Safely Remove Hardware" in icon tray Destroy General Hardware 11 Jan 25, 2006 11:17 AM
How to get rid of "Remove Hardware" icon in the sys tray?... huskylord General Software 7 Jul 18, 2005 03:28 PM
Any Fix for "Safely Remove Hardware" icon? Joe_Blough Remote Wonder and Plug-In Discussion 3 Jul 6, 2005 06:05 AM
How to remove the "splash icon"?? teknomedic Radeon Tweaking, Modding, and Overclocking 10 Mar 13, 2002 06:48 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners. Copyright ©1998-2011 Rage3D.com
Links monetized by VigLink