Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Computing Forums » Operating Systems
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Operating Systems Discussion topics on operating systems including all iterations of Windows, MacOS, BeOS, etc.

"

Old Dec 27, 2007, 06:33 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Deftones
Boned

Deftones is still being judged by the masses

Default XP: removing "safely remove hardware" icon in sys tray

i have xp SP2 on an HP laptop. I recently decided it was easier to plug all my usb devices into a single usb hub plugged into my comp as opposed to having my devices plugged in all over my comp. Now I have a "safely remove hardware" icon in my system tray regarding the USB hub. I like to keep my desktop/quick launch/sys tray areas as cleanly as possible without any unnecessary icons. Is there a way to disable this icon in my system tray?
Deftones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 07:13 PM   #2
Elysian
No sir, I don't like it.

Elysian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Elysian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Elysian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Elysian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Elysian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Elysian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
i have xp SP2 on an HP laptop. I recently decided it was easier to plug all my usb devices into a single usb hub plugged into my comp as opposed to having my devices plugged in all over my comp. Now I have a "safely remove hardware" icon in my system tray regarding the USB hub. I like to keep my desktop/quick launch/sys tray areas as cleanly as possible without any unnecessary icons. Is there a way to disable this icon in my system tray?
don't use it, and it'll hide itself?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamHere View Post
Come to my neighborhood and take a swing at me. I will kill you and I will walk.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 10:49 PM   #3
SpeckledJim
Rage3D Veteran

SpeckledJim is still being judged by the masses

You could wait for it to disappear, but it probably won't if stuff is plugged/unplugged with any regularity. If you really want to remove it, set it to "Always hide" in the customize notifications window. (right click on task bar, then customize button).
SpeckledJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 30, 2007, 09:10 AM   #4
stormy13
Radeon HD 6970

stormy13 is still being judged by the masses

That and SATA drives are hot-swappable, though I wouldn't recommend trying it with the system drive.
stormy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 04:13 PM   #5
Elysian
No sir, I don't like it.

Elysian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Elysian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Elysian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Elysian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Elysian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Elysian once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeckledJim View Post
You could wait for it to disappear, but it probably won't if stuff is plugged/unplugged with any regularity. If you really want to remove it, set it to "Always hide" in the customize notifications window. (right click on task bar, then customize button).
mine hides itself, even though i plug and unplug my zune every day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamHere View Post
Come to my neighborhood and take a swing at me. I will kill you and I will walk.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 05:54 PM   #6
mavis
piggott.

mavis is still being judged by the masses

I found out how to hide the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon, as well as the WiFi/Connectivity icons, etc. I posted the solution at thinkpads.com about a year and a half ago - here's a link:

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=24768

There's a zip file you can download (in that thread) that I've been hosting this whole time - it's really easy to get rid of those icons (particularly useful for notebook owners as laptops usually have their own software for that stuff) ...

Hope this helps.