Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Technical Support Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

Old Dec 3, 2007, 12:34 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Default Vista x64 + HD2900XT - 'driver not responding' followed by BSOD

Through Cat 7.9/10/11 I've had periodic driver not responding loops followed by BSOD.

The display driver stops responding 4 times, the first 3 times it recovers successfully, the fourth time is says in the event log that it recovered but the machine BSOD's and hard resets.

Code:
- System 

- Provider 

[ Name]  Display 

- EventID 4101 

[ Qualifiers]  0 

Level 3 

Task 0 

Keywords 0x80000000000000 

- TimeCreated 

[ SystemTime]  2007-12-03T17:25:46.000Z 

EventRecordID 9375 

Channel System 

Computer -

Security 

- EventData 

atikmdag
System is a Dell Precision 690 w/4Gb RAM (4x1Gb FB-DIMMs), HD2900XT, 1Kw PSU, 2xRaptor 80Gb Raid0, 4xSeagate 7200.10 250Gb R10, single IDE DVD-RW, running Vista x64 Enterprise in Test mode. Clean install with 7.11's.

Apparently there was once an ATi KB article about this, but the link is dead:

737- 29308: Radeon™ HD2XXX Series : Blue Screen when more than 2GB installed after ATI Driver installed.
http://support.ati.com/ics/support/d...estionID=29308

All crashes have been at desktop, sometimes under full cpu load, othertimes not.

Any ideas?
Old Dec 4, 2007, 08:39 AM   #2
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

This morning I unlocked my workstation a received another BSOD & Reboot.

Code:
  Problem Event Name:	BlueScreen
  OS Version:	6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.4
  Locale ID:	1033

Additional information about the problem:
  BCCode:	116
  BCP1:	FFFFFA8005257010
  BCP2:	FFFFF9800521B03C
  BCP3:	0000000000000000
  BCP4:	000000000000000D
  OS Version:	6_0_6000
  Service Pack:	0_0
  Product:	256_1
Guess it's time to start looking through dump files
Old Dec 4, 2007, 09:42 AM   #3
JesterOnYer6
Banned

JesterOnYer6 is still being judged by the masses

I would go into safe mode uninstall restart back to safe mode do a driver cleaner 3 times in a row restart normal and install the latest drivers.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:01 AM   #4
Falcon1
Free Bird

Falcon1 is still being judged by the masses

I noticed exactly the same thing, except that I do not get an blue-screen, but my PC freezes. It occurs every few days.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:06 AM   #5
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

I installed the Windows Driver Kit: Debug Tools for x64 and examined the memory.dmp. Not a lot of help there.

There error message is explained a little more though:

Bug Check 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
The VIDEO_TDR_ ERROR bug check has a value of 0x00000116. This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.

Parameters
The following parameters are displayed on the blue screen.

Parameter Description
1 The pointer to the internal TDR recovery context, if available.
2 A pointer into the responsible device driver module (for example, the owner tag).
3 The error code of the last failed operation, if available.
4 Reserved.

I guess this is pointing at a couple of different things:
Hardware problem with card
Chipset driver problem
Driver installation corruption
Old Dec 10, 2007, 01:33 PM   #6
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Had another BSOD this morning. Checked on my ticket I opened with AMD on Dec 4th, nothing had been done except some BS 'system refresh' operation, that put it back to me as possibly answered. I responded that the ticket was unresolved and entered a message that if I hadn't had a response in 2 business days I would return the card for RMA processing.

This is a shame, as normally I've gotten same day responses from AMD/ATI customer care.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 04:24 PM   #7
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Now, I have a response:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting AMD Global Customer Care for ATI Products.

In order to address your issue, we highly recommend that you have installed all the required updates (hotfixes) for MS Windows Vista.

NOTE: Please install these updates manually since these are not included in the automatic updates that you receive.

a) 737-30139: Microsoft Windows Vista Hotfixes for all RadeonT users

The Microsoft hotfixes that are listed below are recommended for people using a RadeonT based graphics card in Windows Vista.

Compatibility and Reliability:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938194

Performance and Reliability:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938979

DirectX 10 and Crossfire patch:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936710

Virtual Address Space Usage in Windows game development patch:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105
I already have 938979 and 938194 applied, but not 936710 or 940105 as they apply to DX10 application problems under crossfire (which, as I am having the problem at desktop, doesn't really apply... oh well).
Old Dec 11, 2007, 04:51 AM   #8
Low&Slow
Radeon R100

Low&Slow is still being judged by the masses

Had very similar problems with Vista 32bit, heard the problem was related to not shutting down properly, or using the hibernate function. Since then i shut down properly and no more bsod's.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 01:16 PM   #9
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Thanks for your input. The problem occurs at desktop while I'm using the machine, and I don't use hibernate. The machine runs 24/7 in high performance mode. The display blanks is all. However, as the display driver lockup will occur when the system is being used, I'm going to discount that.

Further updates from ATI support:
They asked me to confirm my motherboard was on the Vista compatiblity list. It's a Dell Precision 690, they can be bought preloaded with XP/XP x64Vista/Vista x64. I responded as much.
ATI support have now responded:
Quote:
Please confirm that you have installed an ATI Certified Power Supply and Case as described:

http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonhd...uirements.html

In addition, ensure that you have the latest BIOS and chipset drivers installed on your DELL Precision 690.
I am going to double check drivers and BIOS, never hurts, but this was a clean install 3 weeks ago - I went straight to 7.11 cat drivers, and used the latest drivers available for chipset.

As for ATI certified power supply.... it's a Dell 1KW PSU. I think it's ok. Especially as you can buy the rigs pre-configured with dual Quadro's...
Old Dec 11, 2007, 02:10 PM   #10
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Well, I couldn't see this coming...

Quote:
Thank you for providing us with an update on your issue.

Please note that the Radeon HD 2900 XT requires specialized 2x3 and 2x4 Molex connectors provided by specific power supplies as outlined by Radeon HD 2900 XT - System Requirements. Unfortunately, we are unable to support a system with a non ATI Certified Power Supply and Case.

We recommend that you test your product in another system and confirm that the product is functional. If the system is not functional

We appreciate your assistance. Thank you.

Thank you for choosing AMD!

AMD Global Customer Care for ATI products
My response:
Quote:
The included documentation for the product makes no mention of these restrictions for support.
Additionally, this card was purchased at launch, where there was no such thing as an ATI Certified Power Supply for the HD2900, and I doubt most sincerely that slapping an ATi certified sticker on a case changes the support requirements.
The included documentation does not indicate a requirement of specialized 2x3 and 2x4 molex connectors; it specifies two 2x3 connectors for normal use.

Your response is unacceptable - and incomplete.

Your obvious hurry to dismiss this problem as configuration or third party fault is an extremely poor attitude. I did not pay nearly $500 USD to be told my case doesn't have the right badge on it.

I expect you to raise this case to your supervisors attention, and have him/her contact me as soon as possible.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 06:13 PM   #11
Deeko1976
Radeon R520

Deeko1976 is still being judged by the masses

That is dreadful support, talk about passing the buck. I had a similar experience with ATI support regarding the so called top-of-the line DFI LANParty UT ICFX 3200- TR 2/ G motherboard with ATI chipset. The board does not function properly under Vista to the point its unfit for use, despite it being launched less than a year ago and it was never fixed despite a very large thread on the DFI forums regarding it.

I was hit by a mass of automated absolutely dreadful moronic bull**** from ATI support until I finally got a semi-human reply that requested an MSINFO32 report. This came after me replying to the automated rubbish about 4 or 5 times. I responded with it and never heard a thing back and was stuck with a so called premium board with a Vista sticker that is unstable under Vista.

Needless to say, ATI have been thoroughly cut out of my shopping list permanently. The issue you have Jim is that you also bought a high-end product, same as me, and got zero or minimal support. Nothing short of abysmal.

Money talks, thats why AMD shares are now affordable now for even me, a lowly student. Speaks Volumes of a company that heralds empty promises.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:26 AM   #12
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Another superlative response from ATI:
Quote:
Bios settings play a big part in system performance. Especially the ones related to AGP. I have included some AGP specific BIOS settings that may help to correct your freezing issue. Motherboard manufacturers update their BIOS's from time to time, so it would also be good check for updates. Updates can give enhancements to older BIOS's.

NOTE: It will be assumed that if you have a PCIE or PCI based video card that the AGP settings given would be ignored.

- Video BIOS Shadow - DISABLED
- Init Primary Display - AGP for AGP cards...PCIE for PCI express and PCI for PCI based cards
- AGP MASTER 1W/S READ/WRITE - ENABLED/DISABLED (Toggle this option)
- AGP 4x/8x Mode - DISABLED
- AGP Fast Write - DISABLED
- AGP Aperture size - 128 MB
- AGP Driving Control - AUTO
- AGP Performance Control - ENABLED/DISABLED (Toggle this option)
- Assign IRQ for VGA - ENABLED
- System Bios Cacheable - DISABLED
- Video BIOS Cacheable - DISABLED
- VIDEO RAM Cacheable - DISABLED
- Read Around Write - ENABLED/DISABLED (toggle this setting)
- PnP OS installed - YES

We recommend updating your motherboard chipset drivers to add stability the PC. You must first identify the chipset on the motherboard. To do this please follow the directions I have included below.

How to Identify Your Hardware Chipset using Device Manager
* Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
* Double-click System.
* Microsoft Windows 98 or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition, click the Device Manager tab.
* Microsoft Windows 2000 or Microsoft Windows XP, click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
* Expand the list next to the Hard Disk controllers or IDE ATA/ADAPI Controller folder.
* If VIA Bus Master IDE Controller is present, your motherboard is based on VIA chipset.

Popular Chipset Vendors:
* Intel - http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/driver.htm
* VIA - http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=300
* Nvidia - http://nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
* SIS - http://download.sis.com/
* ALI - http://www.driverscollection.com/?V=ALi&S=17
* ATI - http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

Updated sound card drivers are also important. You may want to consider updating the drivers for the sound card installed in your PC to see if that helps. Some customers have reported that turning off sound acceleration in Direct X Diagnostics has resolved hanging and freezing in games. Here is how do turn off sound acceleration in DXDIAG.

* Click Start Run, and type DXDIAG. Click on the Sound Tab and move the hardware slider to Basic

Programs that run in the background can also cause games and applications to hang. Make sure to disable any and all programs running in the background. I have included instructions below that will help disable programs from starting when Windows loads.

To restart your computer by using a clean boot procedure, follow these steps when you are using Windows XP.

Note You may experience a temporary loss of some services functionality when you follow these steps. Restoring the settings restores the functionality, but may result in the return of the original error message or behavior.
1. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the following check boxes:
. Process SYSTEM.INI File
. Process WIN.INI File
. Load Startup Items
4. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
5. Click OK, and then click Restart.

Try changing the DX refreshrate override:

* Click Start, and then click Run.
* In the Open box, type dxdiag.exe, and then click OK.
* On the More Help tab, click Override.
* Click Override Value, type a refresh rate setting in the Override Value box that is supported by both your video adapter and your monitor, and then click OK. Try one value at a time.

NOTE: Typical values are 60, 62, 72, 75.
* Click Exit.

If the problem still exists then this may be a limitation with the graphics BUS on the motherboard. It may be limiting the available bandwidth which will reduce the performance of the graphics card. It may also be possible that the card is not performing as it should. To test further you will need to install the card in another system.

And mine:
Quote:
The system is not AGP.
All drivers are current.
The issue occurs at desktop, not playing games.
Stopping background processes is not an option as I actually use this PC to do things.

Why has no response been made to my request for a Supervisor or Manager to contact me?
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:45 AM   #13
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

It could help to know though what you are running in the back ground as it could be one reason why you go thru BSOD loops with said driver.

In any case, try downloading the 7.11 display driver only without CCC. Of course run ATi uninstall manager before doing so. Restart after uninstall, restart after install.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:47 AM   #14
Deeko1976
Radeon R520

Deeko1976 is still being judged by the masses

That looks like another automated response designed to potentially baffle your average user and possibly 'silence' them. Keep trying Jim, eventually you will get through to a 'real' human being. I only hope they dont ask you for an MSINFO32 report and do a vanishing act after it.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 11:03 AM   #15
-n7-
Radeon Arctic Islands

-n7- is still being judged by the masses

Wow.

n7

n7
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:10 PM   #16
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_Card View Post
It could help to know though what you are running in the back ground as it could be one reason why you go thru BSOD loops with said driver..
Like I said, I've tried it with nothing but desktop and it's still occurred. To be clear, the BSOD is preceeding by 4 'display driver not responding' display resets. Sometimes I only get 1 or 2 resets, and then all is good again. It happens whether I have the system at idle or at full load (running VM's, web browsing in IE7 w/multiple tabs, remote desktop to servers, copying files from network location to local storage, streaming MoS radio etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_Card View Post
In any case, try downloading the 7.11 display driver only without CCC. Of course run ATi uninstall manager before doing so. Restart after uninstall, restart after install.
Done that, didn't help.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:11 PM   #17
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeko1976 View Post
That looks like another automated response designed to potentially baffle your average user and possibly 'silence' them. Keep trying Jim, eventually you will get through to a 'real' human being. I only hope they dont ask you for an MSINFO32 report and do a vanishing act after it.
I included all the dump files from the BSOD's when I opened the ticket initially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -n7- View Post
Wow.
Yeah. Astounding, isn't it?
Old Dec 13, 2007, 02:00 PM   #18
The PIT
Radeon R700

The PIT is still being judged by the masses

I presume it's a completely random error and you just can't make it happen. It looks like you're going to have to do your own diagnostics and humour them somewhat.
If you just keep replying in an aggressive manner they're not going to help you very much.
So I'd do what they say and disabling non microsoft services shouldn't stop you from working. To see what you can disable in vista go here

http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

and you'll still have a working machine.

In there request you're disabling third party services which is just basic trouble shooting.

Also worth running memtest overnight to if anything pops up.

I find the refresh suggestion really amusing. Nice machine by the way.

Last edited by The PIT : Dec 13, 2007 at 02:06 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:41 PM   #19
cvearl
God uses ATI.

cvearl is still being judged by the masses

Run with 2GB for a week? See what happens?

Run with a different pair of sticks of RAM if you can put em on credit card and then return them?

Make sure BIOS for MOBO is updated and set to all defaults on MOBO.

Memtest86 your ram?

C.

Welcome to Flight sim 2012 - http://youtu.be/rmZNMjn30XQ

The add ons...

Planes - http://www.carenado.com/CarSite/Port...ccion=products
Scenery - http://fullterrain.com/
Enviroment - http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/
Hardware - http://www.saitek.com/
Old Dec 14, 2007, 08:22 AM   #20
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Thanks for the responses, guys.

As the problem happened with Cat 7.9/10/11 on Vista x64 (but not x32), and before I added the extra 2gb ram, I don't think its hardware related. However I'm going to run the Dell diagnostics to see if anything turns up. Additionally, with the RAM being FB-DIMM (i.e. registered ECC) I'd be surprised if there was a problem there without my knowledge; the Dell Openmanage client notifies alerts such as RAM errors, predicted drive failures etc. I do have the latest BIOS and there's not a lot to set for options in a Dell BIOS.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 01:13 PM   #21
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Well, I actually got someone to pay some attention to what I'd entered:

Quote:
Our testing department is aware of this issue. There is a KB article about it. KB #27116. It specifies it happens in games or when doing fullscreen video, but since this error is much like the VPU Recovery, it can happen at any time, for any number of reasons- even those not related to our product.

It could be a faulty PSU, bad memory, a motherboard issue, etc..

The 2x4 and 2x3 connectors are needed only if you wish to run overdrive. Two 2x3 connectors can be used and 1000W PSU is more than enough- but is that PSU defective in any manner? Probably not..

Do you have any other PCI-Ex16 slot to try this board in?

If you are given any chance to send a report to microsoft, please so as they compile all the incoming reports and if they see a trend of something specific to ATI's driver, they let our development team know.

The KB #27116 is being updated to be a generic troubleshooting article for this error you are receiving.

If you have not yet tried, go through a full uninstall of the drivers and then install Cat 7.11

THOROUGH UNINSTALL AND REINSTALL OF ATI SOFTWARE

Remove all ATI software from Programs and Features section (i.e. Catalyst Install Manager).

If a Remote Wonder is used make sure the USB receiver is plugged in and then go to the Device Manager. Uninstall any entries for the Remote under USB Devices. Unplug the USB Receiver. Restart.

Go to registry and remove any ATI entries left under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software

Check for any ATI entries under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and look at each GUIDs display name for ATI entries remove the GUID if found.

Check for any ATI entries under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products look at each GUID and the InstallProperties key, look at the Display Name for any ATI entry, if found remove the whole GUID.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-21-61356107-1988573696-2098142674-6793\Products look at each GUID and the InstallProperties key, look at the Display Name for any ATI entry, if found remove the whole GUID

Exit Registry editor.

Go to Computer and select Organize and choose File and Folder options, Click the View tab. Make sure view hidden files and folder is checked.

Now browse to C:\Windows\INF and remove any OEM#.inf and the corresponding OEM#.pnf files that reference ATI. You look only in the OEM#.inf file.

Next remove the C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia Center folder and C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies folders if present.

Restart
I'll try that this afternoon and see what happens.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 01:05 PM   #22
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

I didn't get a chance to try out the above procedure, but I will do so monday... I think I'm going to swap out the HD2900 for a FireGL V3400 I have at home, so I can test it out.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 01:13 PM   #23
Jas420221
Banned

Jas420221 is still being judged by the masses

Dont try playing any games on that card...
Old Dec 17, 2007, 01:14 PM   #24
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Well, I actually got someone to pay some attention to what I'd entered:

I'll try that this afternoon and see what happens.
So any luck?
Old Dec 17, 2007, 01:36 PM   #25
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Followed the uninstall procedure, rebooted and reinstalled 7.11; after 3 hours had a vpu recover. Uninstalled again and swapped out the HD2900XT for the FireGL V3400. Definately no gamer card, and desktop performance is ok though, and it has much better driver support if I run into issues.

I'm going to try out the HD2900XT in another rig and see what issues occur.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 05:25 PM   #26
abdavey
Radeon R420

abdavey is still being judged by the masses

I have been getting this as well , PC 2900 xt , vista x64 ultimate
what is wierd is that I seem to be getting this alot more now that I upgraded to my new 22" hd panel. sudden repetitive recoveries, then blue screen with an atikmdag error.

was beginning to think I had gotten a faulty card..

Doesn't happen every day,.. but is still irritating when it happens.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 09:16 PM   #27
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Guess what. This exact thing just happened to me. Thankfully I remembered this thread.

However, I'm running an HD 3870 in Vista x64. I've been having some very strange unexplainable lockups lately. I'm wondering now if its my GPU and drivers.

I'm going to report this. I really hope this is the source of my problems lately and a fix can be found.

Last edited by Ristogod : Dec 18, 2007 at 09:21 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 11:50 PM   #28
cvearl
God uses ATI.

cvearl is still being judged by the masses

Is it possible that the fan is not ramping up to 3D mode because in VISTA you are using 3D while at the desktop? Maybe a dumb theory. But card overheating because cooling does not go to 3D mode?

Just a wierd thought.

Anyone check the GPU temp in CCC while waiting for this crash?

C.

Welcome to Flight sim 2012 - http://youtu.be/rmZNMjn30XQ

The add ons...

Planes - http://www.carenado.com/CarSite/Port...ccion=products
Scenery - http://fullterrain.com/
Enviroment - http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/
Hardware - http://www.saitek.com/
Old Dec 19, 2007, 05:58 AM   #29
Low&Slow
Radeon R100

Low&Slow is still being judged by the masses

Should be collecting Vista 64 tomorrow will test it on my rig M3A & 2900xt and see if the same error occurs.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 11:51 AM   #30
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Appreciate the feedback guys. Will install Vista x64 on my other rig tonight, with the HD2900XT installed, see how we go. Course, I don't have an ATI certified Power supply or case installed there, either.......