Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Dec 2, 2007, 01:00 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

Computer Case The Tech Report Presents: How to Build a PC

The Tech Report's Geoff Gasior has written an step-by-step guide on how to assemble a new PC. For those of you who do not know how to build one from scratch, this article would be a good starting point for your technological journey.

The best thing about being a PC enthusiast—beyond, of course, the never ending joy of serving as the personal support technician for friends and family—is being able to assemble a system from the ground up with the perfect mix of components for a given budget. That mix of components will vary depending on your needs, but with today's market so rich with high-performance hardware at affordable prices, it's easy to spec a custom system that will blow the doors off pre-built boxes from major PC vendors.

For those who lack the expertise to pick the best available components, we compile regular system guides outlining our recommendations at various price points. These guides are a great starting point for seasoned PC hobbyists contemplating a new build, but they're an invaluable resource for less savvy users seeking guidance as they step into the enthusiast realm.

Users new to building systems from scratch need more than just a shopping list, though. There's an art to assembling a rig from bare components. Building a PC can be a daunting task for a newbie who has never put a system together before. For those folks, we've crafted a step-by-step guide covering the basics of system assembly. Keep reading as we show you how to build a PC from scratch.

Source: The Tech Report
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 01:11 PM   #2
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Great guide for newbs to building. A couple steps were less then fully necessary, but the inclusion of those extra steps will build good habits in new builders. I thought the use of a stock heatsink and then showing first install NOT using the stock TIM on it, was a little excessive. But had it been worded a hair differently it would have been better. At least expaining that for stock use, Intel recommends you to just use the TIM provided on the HSF.

But beyond that one niggle, I'd give that article a thumbs up to get a few more people to start building their own.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 02:39 PM   #3
stormy13
Radeon R600

stormy13 is still being judged by the masses

stormy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 2, 2007, 02:43 PM   #4
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
Very good, stormy13. Thank you.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 02:48 PM   #5
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Bump for caveman-jim. Could add the two guides linked in this thread to your list?
Old Dec 3, 2007, 03:09 PM   #6
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I can, the links in the sticky will be to forum posts here that contain overviews & links, as per OP.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 04:16 PM   #7
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Not a bad guide, but I've always thought picking components is by far the hardest part unless you watercool or other fancyness. I would argue that it's also the most important part, barring any assembly disasters.

Is it weird that I always install the mobo before the cpu and the HSF? Especially with huge heatsinks and cases with motherboard trays, you can't even put on the HSF before the motherboard is in place in the case. Plus I don't too much trust the motherboard's flexibility.....a big heatsink can easily warp it before it gets bolted to the case, where it's a little sturdier.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 02:19 AM   #8
hobs0n
Radeon Arctic Islands

hobs0n is still being judged by the masses

Very good guide

DajMasta: I do it the same thing, it just feels unsafe to install the CPU and HSF before the motherboard sits sturdy in the case
hobs0n is offline   Reply With Quote