Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Off-Topic Forums » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

"

Old Nov 21, 2007, 06:48 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lemures
Radeon HD 6870

Lemures is still being judged by the masses

Default Best Buy $230 Laptop?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....#productdetail

Think its worth heading out there for? What time should I head out if it is? I'm rather unfamiliar with black friday shopping.

Its between that one, and this one: http://bfads.net/Compaq-1GB-Presario...t-Circuit-City

Ideas, suggestions?
Lemures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 07:03 PM   #2
Cartigan
Banned

Cartigan is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemures View Post
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....#productdetail

Think its worth heading out there for?
No.

Quote:
What time should I head out if it is?
Yesterday.
Cartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 07:11 PM   #3
Razeus
Rage3D Spammer

Razeus can recite pi backwardsRazeus can recite pi backwardsRazeus can recite pi backwardsRazeus can recite pi backwardsRazeus can recite pi backwardsRazeus can recite pi backwardsRazeus can recite pi backwards

that thing is garbage.

you should be looking at least a dual core, 2 gigs of ram, vista premium, nvidia based intergrated graphics, and 200+ gigs of hard drive.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 21, 2007, 07:20 PM   #4
dreamwalker
friendly?

dreamwalker can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydreamwalker can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydreamwalker can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
that thing is garbage.

you should be looking at least a dual core, 2 gigs of ram, vista premium, nvidia based intergrated graphics, and 200+ gigs of hard drive.
For $230?

Be thankful you guys get those deals. In Canada the cheapest new laptop I've -ever- seen is $399, that was on Boxing Day, or something.

For $230 I'd take two, and sell them up here for 600 each.
dreamwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 07:20 PM   #5
ScottDoom
It's Okay

ScottDoom is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
that thing is garbage.

Because those are the system recommendations for MS Word and Opera.

For only $230, that isn't bad. But for just another $270, a much better laptop can probably be had from Newegg.

Plus Black Friday is insane. I work retail on Black Friday and have for the last two years. You don't want to go out there!!!
lighting up the dark.
ScottDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 07:20 PM   #6
Lemures
Radeon HD 6870

I already have a decent home computer. I also have the laptop that I'm on right now (2ghz, 1 gig of ram). However, the current laptop is rather, um, large (think, like, 2 inches thick, and like 10 pounds), and is dying on me, so I dont want to keep lugging it to class. I'm considering buying the one mentioned so that I have something to bring to class to take notes on, and thats about it. My girlfriend is also considering buying one, as she will need a computer for next semester.

I'm aware that its not the best, however, it will run XP, run Office, and you can surf the net on it, and thats about all I need it for.

Are there any better deals online for a cheap laptop?
Old Nov 21, 2007, 07:23 PM   #7
ScottDoom
It's Okay

ScottDoom is still being judged by the masses

If all you need it for is class, then go for it. That's all I want a laptop for, and for $230 that's great. I unfortunately don't have the money.

As I said though, Black Friday/Green Friday is INSANE. There will be people lined up at least an hour before opening, if not two. We'll have Wii systems on Friday so we may have overnighters (Toys-R-Us). I don't know about Best Buy or what other deals they may have.

You also have to realize that people will buy stuff if they find out about it regardless of whether or not they wanted it, just to put it on eBay afterward.

So you will need to get there early. Since you have a laptop already, just bring that, a book, and a portable gaming system (DS, PSP, phone, MP3-player) and wait around for maybe 2 hours before store opening.
lighting up the dark.
ScottDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 07:36 PM   #8
Cartigan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwalker View Post
For $230?

Be thankful you guys get those deals. In Canada the cheapest new laptop I've -ever- seen is $399, that was on Boxing Day, or something.

For $230 I'd take two, and sell them up here for 600 each.
To idiots. Though they would probably be idiot enough to go buy $600 laptops at Best Buy that were better than this.

Quote:
I already have a decent home computer. I also have the laptop that I'm on right now (2ghz, 1 gig of ram). However, the current laptop is rather, um, large (think, like, 2 inches thick, and like 10 pounds), and is dying on me, so I dont want to keep lugging it to class. I'm considering buying the one mentioned so that I have something to bring to class to take notes on, and thats about it.
Did you even look at the laptop? You will be lucky if it can run Word acceptably, especially after using a faster computer.

Maybe you should try a notebook and pencil, or this: http://www.amazon.com/LeapFrog-FLY-F...5695472&sr=8-1

Last edited by Cartigan : Nov 21, 2007 at 07:39 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 07:46 PM   #9
Lemures
Radeon HD 6870

Yes I did look at the laptop. What was it, 1.5ghz, 512mb of ram? Why can't that run word? Word 2003. Should be absolutely fine. Have you ever tried windows xp and office on a nice install of XP without all the crap on it? It runs pretty well.

Or am I deluding myself? I'm fairly certain I've done this. What do you guys think?
Old Nov 21, 2007, 07:47 PM   #10
P1x44r
Rage3D Spammer

P1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartigan View Post
Did you even look at the laptop? You will be lucky if it can run Word acceptably, especially after using a faster computer.

Maybe you should try a notebook and pencil, or this: http://www.amazon.com/LeapFrog-FLY-F...5695472&sr=8-1
Ubuntu + Open Office would run perfectly.

Of course that's only accessible to those of us that have something other than crap stuffed up their skulls.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 07:49 PM   #11
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ice once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ice once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ice once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ice once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ice once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I saw it and was like, "Ooh, that sounds cool," and then I read "celeron" and closed the window.

X3350 (3.6GHZ)|4GB of GSkill|500GB + 320GB SATA|ECS GTX 580 |Abit IP35 Pro|Windows 7 64 Ultimate

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 07:56 PM   #12
dreamwalker
friendly?

dreamwalker can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydreamwalker can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydreamwalker can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
To idiots. Though they would probably be idiot enough to go buy $600 laptops at Best Buy that were better than this.
Do you live in Canada? No?

Cheapest laptop in Canadian Best Buy:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...gon=&langid=EN
Old Nov 21, 2007, 08:04 PM   #13
Cartigan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
Of course that's only accessible to those of us that have something other than crap stuffed up their skulls.
No surprise - I doubt brains can get much oxygen sitting that high up on the horse.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 08:09 PM   #14
Mmm_Beefy
R.I.P Vengy!

Mmm_Beefy is still being judged by the masses

it is a shame its a celeron based notebook, but for that price range.. yeah it wouldnt be too bad for light email, word, and some web surfing.

upgrade the ram in it, and your not in it for much.

sides its not like they dont have a return policy if you find you dont like it... or at the very least you can resell it to make your money back.

this laptop also supports C2D's, but voids the warranty if you swap it out..
wow alow bunch of nood who dont know what the **** they talking about 1 you need to sleep atlist 8:30 hours and who the **** drinks Neutrament for break fast ? its only for help to recovery protein will not gona make you get big protein jast help you recover you muscle and you need to eat breakfast then after 2 hours drink 40 g of protein in 2 hours eat lunch then agen in 2 hours eat some frots whit yugurs or milk go to gym before work out drink some creatine i can even sogest you TRACK is the best in marke after work out rush home emedatle drink 40 grams of protein shake whit fruts bannans and some apples and strobery or some fruets that you like and then after 40 minuts eat dinner that is my single day work out and food that i eat write now iam 210 pounds 23% fat my bench is 300 for 3rep max my deadleaft is 470 punds for 4 reps max my shuads is top 28o for 8 reps

C2Q Q6600 @ 3ghz
Zalman 9700 cooler
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
4x1gig Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800
Geforce 7300 128meg
1x500gig WD Caviar
Liteon CDRW
Antec P180 case
Xubuntu 32bit

Abit IP35-E
C2Q Q6600 B3 @3ghz
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro
4Gigs 2x1 Crucial Ballistix 2x1gig Corsair Valuselect
EVGA 8800 GTS 640meg
1x 250gig WD Caviar
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
NEC DVD/RW
Monsoon MM-700 2.1 speakers (old but man do they rock)
WinXP sp2

Windows is easier than Linux, just like crapping your pants is easier than going to the bathroom.
Fold for Rage... and women will find you sexy
Mmm_Beefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 08:09 PM   #15
Cartigan
Banned

Quote:
Do you live in Canada? No?

Cheapest laptop in Canadian Best Buy:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...gon=&langid=EN
With a 120GB harddrive, 1GB of RAM, Webcam, etc. Gee, sorry your $600 laptop costs $600.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 08:20 PM   #16
dreamwalker
friendly?

Quote:
With a 120GB harddrive, 1GB of RAM, Webcam, etc. Gee, sorry your $600 laptop costs $600.
We have a 14% tax here. Would make it almost 700.

Now, are you done being condescending? No? Bite me.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 09:06 PM   #17
Cartigan
Banned

Quote:
We have a 14% tax here. Would make it almost 700.
And don't those taxes go to you not having to pay out your ass for medicine and healthcare? I'd have to pay 8% taxes and not get that benefit.

The laptop costs what it is worth, I fail to see your problem.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 09:10 PM   #18
JonZ
ka-shing

JonZ kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshJonZ kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshJonZ kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshJonZ kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshJonZ kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshJonZ kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshJonZ kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshJonZ kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshJonZ kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

omg throw in petrol export, dollar parity and wages of war while at it...

"A good sketch is better than a long speech" - Napoleon

2x GTX680 SLI
Core i7 4770k 3.50ghz Haswell @ not OCed yet
Corsair TX850M PSU

G.Skills 4x2gb ddr3 1600mhz

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H mobo
Corsair H100i cooler
OCZ 120 SSD Vertex 3 SATA3 (OS).
Samsng 480 Pro 256gb (capture/swap)
4xWestern Digital 2gb HDD
some other old WD HDDs
Asus Xonar DX PCIE soundcard

Triple Dell 2713HM Monitors 2560x1440
Logitech G700 mouse and G19 keyboard

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

Intel Quad Core Q9650 @ 400FSBx9 3600ghz
Asus P5Q-EM

4x 2gb DDR2 800mhz CORSAIR RAM (5-5-5-18)
Corsair 550w PSU
Hauppauge 1850 PCIE capture card
2x2tb HDD Western Digital RAID mirrored
Toshiba 40" LCD tv screen
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
JonZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 09:27 PM   #19
Lemures
Radeon HD 6870

Can we talk about whether or not this is a good deal, not canada, lol.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 09:30 PM   #20
dreamwalker
friendly?

Quote:
And don't those taxes go to you not having to pay out your ass for medicine and healthcare? I'd have to pay 8% taxes and not get that benefit.

The laptop costs what it is worth, I fail to see your problem.
I was simply saying that if you were in Canada, you would have to pay twice what 'the laptop is worth'.

Our dollar is worth more than yours, and I was simply envious of your deal. How do you not see this?
Old Nov 21, 2007, 09:37 PM   #21
Lemures
Radeon HD 6870

I didn't start the argument, lol. You did provide valid input, thank you
Old Nov 21, 2007, 09:39 PM   #22
**G.I.BRO**
Rage3D Spammer

**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Check out www.dell.ca they have some decent prices per spec. Im looking for a lappy for my parents and im leaning towards something from Dell, something more or less under $800 after everything in.
http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/prod...hs1&l=en&s=dhs
http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/prod...dt1&l=en&s=bsd
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 09:49 PM   #23
dreamwalker
friendly?

Quote:
I didn't start the argument, lol. You did provide valid input, thank you
It wasn't directed toward you I was responding directly toward Cartigan's quote, haha. To your question, yea its definitely a good deal if all you need is to surf the internet and MS Word.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 10:19 PM   #24
Cartigan
Banned

Quote:
I was simply saying that if you were in Canada, you would have to pay twice what 'the laptop is worth'.

Our dollar is worth more than yours, and I was simply envious of your deal. How do you not see this?
$700 isn't double $600. Your $600 laptop is twice the price of this $300 dollar one because it is twice as good.

Oh look, we are getting gipped compared to the Canadians, let's be envious
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1188560179362

Last edited by Cartigan : Nov 21, 2007 at 10:22 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 10:30 PM   #25
dreamwalker
friendly?

Quote:
$700 isn't double $600. Your $600 laptop is twice the price of this $300 dollar one because it is twice as good.
It is not twice as good, are you a hardware enthusiast at all? The 600 dollar laptop has a slower processor, sure it has twice the amount of RAM, but RAM is heap cheap. Gigabytes mean nothing these days. Same resolution.

Also, I'm not talking just about computers here. You in the States have better electronic deals overall, I'm a member of www.redflagdeals.com, mostly a Canadian website where 'deals' are posted that are both Canadian and US, and a significance variance occurs in the prices. I am not lying when I say that we are envious of your electronics/laptop prices;

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...d.php?t=516702
Old Nov 21, 2007, 10:38 PM   #26
traitoR
Galactic Butterfly

traitoR can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultytraitoR can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I have a toshiba laptop with the Celeron M 1.73, and it will be plenty fast enough for more rudimentary tasks, It`s basically a Pentium M with less Cache and no speed step, by the way Sys-tool overclocks mine to 2.5 GHZ + with no discernible change in temps as well.
traitoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2007, 05:38 AM   #27
MeltingCactus
Keeper and Acquirer

MeltingCactus is still being judged by the masses

The Circuit City computer looks better, but it has a mail in rebate for part of the deal, so more hassle.

Might look into finding a used machine if you want something for class that's not too expensive.
"I realize that, historically, phrases like 'massive redistribution of wealth' are usually accompanied by rivers of blood. That said, it's about time for a massive redistribution of wealth."-from The Onion
"Deconstructing the Twinkie is like trying to deconstruct the universe." - Hostess Foods
MeltingCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2007, 11:20 AM   #28
Lemures
Radeon HD 6870

Ya but I'm going for cheap here. I can't wait for that MIR . Also, its only better by having that extra 512 mb of ram, which I don't really need all that much. A stripped down version of XP, or even Ubuntu, will run great on it.

I'm still deciding on all this. Right now my "goal" is to get 2, one for me and one for my girlfriend (whose coming with me), as we could both use em for school. I'm tech savvy enough to know how to get a new OS and stuff on em. *shrug*. What do you guys think? I need more opinions before I can decide, lol.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 11:31 AM   #29
jimmyboy
wut?

jimmyboy is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Yes I did look at the laptop. What was it, 1.5ghz, 512mb of ram? Why can't that run word? Word 2003. Should be absolutely fine. Have you ever tried windows xp and office on a nice install of XP without all the crap on it? It runs pretty well.

Or am I deluding myself? I'm fairly certain I've done this. What do you guys think?
You're right. That laptop will run pretty much anything short of a newer game without any problems. My laptop (Gateway M6805) is very similar to those specs, except it has a Mobility Radeon graphics card, and it runs everything very well, including M$ Office and Open Office. I also use it to run AutoCAD and it's smooth as butter.

My laptop's specs:
AMD64 1.8GHz
512MB RAM
60GB 5400rpm hard-disk
XP Home
ATi MR 9600 w/64MB RAM

If that $230 laptop had a discrete graphics card, but everything else was the same, it would be a steal. I got mine used for $700 2.5 years ago and I still love it. Some of the best $700 I've ever spent.

EDIT: if you want to do any gaming on your laptop, don't buy anything that doesn't have a discrete graphics card by either ATi or Nvidiot. (In other words, no Intel graphics. )

Last edited by jimmyboy : Nov 22, 2007 at 11:35 AM.
jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2007, 07:52 PM   #30
Mmm_Beefy
R.I.P Vengy!

Mmm_Beefy is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
What do you guys think? I need more opinions before I can decide, lol.
buy it, it cant be all that bad.. if it is, you can return it, or sell it to recop your cash back
wow alow bunch of nood who dont know what the **** they talking about 1 you need to sleep atlist 8:30 hours and who the **** drinks Neutrament for break fast ? its only for help to recovery protein will not gona make you get big protein jast help you recover you muscle and you need to eat breakfast then after 2 hours drink 40 g of protein in 2 hours eat lunch then agen in 2 hours eat some frots whit yugurs or milk go to gym before work out drink some creatine i can even sogest you TRACK is the best in marke after work out rush home emedatle drink 40 grams of protein shake whit fruts bannans and some apples and strobery or some fruets that you like and then after 40 minuts eat dinner that is my single day work out and food that i eat write now iam 210 pounds 23% fat my bench is 300 for 3rep max my deadleaft is 470 punds for 4 reps max my shuads is top 28o for 8 reps

C2Q Q6600 @ 3ghz
Zalman 9700 cooler
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
4x1gig Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800
Geforce 7300 128meg
1x500gig WD Caviar
Liteon CDRW
Antec P180 case
Xubuntu 32bit

Abit IP35-E
C2Q Q6600 B3 @3ghz
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro
4Gigs 2x1 Crucial Ballistix 2x1gig Corsair Valuselect
EVGA 8800 GTS 640meg
1x 250gig WD Caviar
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
NEC DVD/RW
Monsoon MM-700 2.1 speakers (old but man do they rock)
WinXP sp2

Windows is easier than Linux, just like crapping your pants is easier than going to the bathroom.
Fold for Rage... and women will find you sexy
Mmm_Beefy is offline   Reply With Quote