Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Home Theaters and Photography
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Home Theaters and Photography Discussion forum for Home Theater enthusiasts and newbies. Also the place to discuss and post your photography ventures and queries.

Old Jun 7, 2007, 03:00 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
tranCendenZ
Radeon Northern Islands

tranCendenZ is still being judged by the masses

Default CONFIRMED: Particular HDMI 1.3 chip in PS3 cannot pass TrueHD/DTS-HDMA bitstream

Interesting FYI:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=257408

Apparently the Si9132 chip in the PS3 cannot transmit TrueHD/DTS-HDMA bitstream and its pair released at the same time - the Si9133 chip - cannot receive it. Note that PS3 may at some point be able to decode DTS-HDMA to PCM, but there are no plans for this announced at this time.

Silicon Image has released two new chips that support passing of nextgen audio codecs bitstream via HDMI 1.3 - the Si9134 (for players) and Si9135 (for receivers).

And no, I don't know what HDMI chipset the BDP-S300 uses nor do I know which one the HD-XA2 uses. Although, Toshiba seems to have gone with Broadcom over SI so they are probably using one of Broadcom's HDMI solutions.
tranCendenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 10:30 AM   #2
Jack & Coke
Monster Fusion

Jack & Coke is still being judged by the masses

Using a forum post as a source is not "confirmed"

Quote:
ironically took an HD DVD insider to tell us.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 01:11 PM   #3
tranCendenZ
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack & Coke View Post
Using a forum post as a source is not "confirmed"
Read the whole link. Sony did not deny the statement and Silicon Image chip specifications confirm it - the Sil9134 was the first chip to support transmittal of nextgen audio codecs via bitstream. PS3 cannot pass TrueHD/DTS-HDMA via bitstream due to a limitation on its Sil9132 HDMI 1.3 chip.

Last edited by tranCendenZ : Jun 7, 2007 at 01:17 PM.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 7, 2007, 01:45 PM   #4
painkiller
Radeon Northern Islands

painkiller is still being judged by the masses

Yea odd I always taught every device with HDMI 1.3 spec is able to output TrueHD or DTS-HDMA bitstream.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 10:29 AM   #5
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

Whats wrong with LPCM?

In any case the PS3 decodes TrueHD internally anyway.

Last edited by Clockwork : Jun 8, 2007 at 10:46 AM.
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 11:27 AM   #6
tranCendenZ
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
Whats wrong with LPCM?

In any case the PS3 decodes TrueHD internally anyway.
Some with new high-end receivers may want to use their receiver's audio processing to decode TrueHD instead of PS3's.

Also, PS3 cannot decode lossless DTS-HDMA (only the lossy DTS-HD core). Unless Sony adds lossless DTS-HDMA decoding to the PS3, you will be stuck unable to decode lossless DTS-HDMA with the PS3 and unable to send it to a receiver for decoding.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 01:42 PM   #7
Tizen
Custom User Title

Tizen is still being judged by the masses

The PS3 is true HD. Sony said it so many times. It's obviusly a conspiracy! I mean comeon, HD DVD insider? This is probably meant for PS4
Old Jun 8, 2007, 03:53 PM   #8
undernine
Da Blackhawks!

undernine is still being judged by the masses

I would be shocked if there wasn't some software method available to Sony in order to pass the bitstream, considering the Dolby TrueHD logo is on the bottom of the console. Sorry, but I can't fathom that something like this could not receive a software solution or workaround. On top of that, my HD-DVD doesn't have the ability either, so either way I'm screwed.
The end of all progress. The death of evolution. It bleeds all life away. Silence speeds the path to the streams of solace that run so few and narrow. Brooks that babble the sounds of torture. You will one day rise. To flood the banks of the chosen. This is the art of ruin. This is the resolution. The end of all progress. The death of evolution. It bleeds all life away. I will teach you all that I have mastered. Fear. Pain. Hatred. Power. This is the art of ruin.
undernine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 05:55 PM   #9
HybridHB
Radeon Northern Islands

HybridHB is still being judged by the masses

Im sure sony will just release an update where the ps3 will decode it and pass it as pcm anyways.
HybridHB is offline   Reply With Quote