Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Off-Topic Forums » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

"

Old Jun 4, 2007, 09:21 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Scott
I like my backyard

Scott is still being judged by the masses

Default Egyptian Pyramids: not cut stone but made of "concrete"?

http://www.materials.drexel.edu/Pyramids/
Professor Michel Barsoum and colleagues have found scientific evidence that parts of the Great Pyramids of Giza were built using an early form of concrete, debunking an age old myth that they were built using only cut limestone blocks... (click here to read more)

http://www.materials.drexel.edu/News/Item/?i=948
Although this discovery does not solve all of the construction mysteries of the pyramids, the impact of these findings has great potential for developing countries and for the construction industry. The basic raw materials used for constructing these “geopolymers,” as this early form of concrete has been dubbed, can be found virtually any where in the world. Replicating this method of construction would not only be cost effective and long lasting, but would also produce less carbon dioxide than the process used for creating Portland Cement, the current building material of choice.

That's some pretty radical ideas right there.

I got a pair of tweezers, a can of air, and some bacardi :\

-
sittal
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 09:27 AM   #2
Alientank
Mr. Pinch point

Alientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badges

You can do anything you put your mind to...when you have an endless supply of slave labour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saggypoo View Post
It's happening to Jupiter now? Usually there's objects constantly slamming against Uranus.
Alientank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 10:51 AM   #3
ZaP911
Come again?!

ZaP911 is still being judged by the masses

The more I read about the Giza Pyramids, the more I'm left amazed. It's just hard to believe that those ancient people built such an incredible structure, without some extra-terrestrial help.

Here is an interesting documentary I watched a couple of days ago about the mysteries of the pyramids.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:
ZaP911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 4, 2007, 11:24 AM   #4
Deaderinred
Banned

Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

why is it so hard to believe that aliens built them.

no only that theres other pyramids around the world, ones underwater near cuba, that one near japan/china (cant remember which of the two it was) and even that one in Bosnia they just found, heh don't get me started on the ones on mars.
Deaderinred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 11:30 AM   #5
phial
no things

phial is still being judged by the masses

mars linkies? that sounds interesting
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:01 PM   #6
Bob Bobbles
Rage3D Veteran

Bob Bobbles is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alientank View Post
You can do anything you put your mind to...when you have an endless supply of slave labour.
The people that built the pyramids were not slaves.
Bob Bobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:07 PM   #7
Deaderinred
Banned

Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by phial View Post
mars linkies? that sounds interesting
Google "mars pyramids" should get the standard first 3 images of them and alot of interesting links.

to be honest i was expecting to be flamed for this
Deaderinred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:08 PM   #8
Alientank
Mr. Pinch point

Alientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bobbles View Post
What were they then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saggypoo View Post
It's happening to Jupiter now? Usually there's objects constantly slamming against Uranus.
Alientank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:10 PM   #9
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'DaJMasta once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'DaJMasta once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'DaJMasta once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'DaJMasta once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'DaJMasta once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bobbles View Post
Not if they were aliens

I think it's cool that they can replicate it like this though, and it was kind of funny to see all those people dressed in their weird garb working on building a big stone block.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 4770K : 16GB Gskill DDR3 2133 : PNY GeForce GTX 670 : Asrock Z87E-ITX : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Crucial m4 256GB and Samsung 840 240GB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Achieva Shimian QH270 27" LED monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64
Laptop: Acer Travelmate Timeline 8172 : Intel Core i5 470UM : 4GB DDR3 1066 : Intel HD Integrated : Intel HM55 Chipset :
120GB Intel X25-M G2 SSD : 40W Power brick and 6 cell battery : Conexant HD Audio : 11.6" LCD : Windows 7 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600
: Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:10 PM   #10
Bob Bobbles
Rage3D Veteran

Bob Bobbles is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alientank View Post
What were they then?
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/py.../pyramids.html

Quote:
Who Built the Pyramids?
Contrary to some popular depictions, the pyramid builders were not slaves or foreigners. Excavated skeletons show that they were Egyptians who lived in villages developed and overseen by the pharaoh's supervisors.
The builders' villages boasted bakers, butchers, brewers, granaries, houses, cemeteries, and probably even some sorts of health-care facilities—there is evidence of laborers surviving crushed or amputated limbs. Bakeries excavated near the Great Pyramids could have produced thousands of loaves of bread every week.
Some of the builders were permanent employees of the pharaoh. Others were conscripted for a limited time from local villages. Some may have been women: Although no depictions of women builders have been found, some female skeletons show wear that suggests they labored with heavy stone for long periods of time.
Graffiti indicates that at least some of these workers took pride in their work, calling their teams "Friends of Khufu," "Drunkards of Menkaure," and so on—names indicating allegiances to pharaohs.
An estimated 20,000 to 30,000 workers built the Pyramids at Giza over 80 years. Much of the work probably happened while the River Nile was flooded.
Huge limestone blocks could be floated from quarries right to the base of the Pyramids. The stones would likely then be polished by hand and pushed up ramps to their intended positions.
It took more than manual labor, though. Architects achieved an accurate pyramid shape by running ropes from the outer corners up to the planned summit, to make sure the stones were positioned correctly. And priests-astronomers helped choose the pyramids' sites and orientations, so that they would be on the appropriate axis in relation to sacred constellations.
From stone pusher to priest, every worker would likely have recognized his or her role in continuing the life-and-death cycle of the pharaohs, and thereby in perpetuating the glory of Egypt.
Of course no one can be perfectly sure, but that's probably as good of a source as any
Bob Bobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:30 PM   #11
Soulkrusha
Rage3D Veteran

Soulkrusha is still being judged by the masses

that's damn enteresting.

Soulkrusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 04:24 PM   #12
brian911
Call me trimtab.

brian911 is still being judged by the masses

I'll second that notion that the people who built the pyramids were not slaves. From what I was taught, these people were proud to work on the pyramids because they thought it was for god. Also, work is mostly done during the time the Nile flooded when farmers had nothing else to do.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 05:28 PM   #13
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM is not someone to be trifled with_TiTaNiuM is not someone to be trifled with_TiTaNiuM is not someone to be trifled with_TiTaNiuM is not someone to be trifled with_TiTaNiuM is not someone to be trifled with_TiTaNiuM is not someone to be trifled with_TiTaNiuM is not someone to be trifled with_TiTaNiuM is not someone to be trifled with

Yeah, only in cartoons or movies and such they were portrayed as slaves, however schooling taught otherwise. I guess we'll never know for sure.

I do remember reading or being taught that they were conscripts from nereby villages, something about a 6 month cycles they'd farm, the other 6 months they'd build the pyramid.
Spring the trap. Spring it all over her face.
_TiTaNiuM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 05:44 PM   #14
Himself
Resident

Himself is still being judged by the masses

My guess would be that they transported the ingredients for the concrete by boat, and the whole pyramid was made of that concrete. Everything done in place as you go up, no cranes required, just bags of dirt being pulled up the slope. As a refinement of that, just do every other block, put boards to form a box with already hardened blocks and you get these perfect seams.
Himself is offline   Reply With Quote