Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jan 29, 2007, 07:12 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Intel Picture Of Intel Penryn 45nm

http://www.vr-zone.com/index.php?i=4535

Quote:
Intel new Fab 28 is completed and fully operational at Kiryat Gat, Israel. It will utilize a 45nm process on 300mm silicon wafers for producing Penryn processors and will be able to transit to 32nm process when it becomes available to produce Nehalem-C processors. The picture above is the 45nm Penryn processor and the die looks pretty much like the Merom and the die size of Merom is at 143mm2. Penryn is expected to pack more cache than Merom with up to 6MB L2 and contains lots of micro-tweaks to the architecture to further enhance power and performance.
Sound_Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 01:50 PM   #2
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Ahhhh, and if they're drop in ready for P965, you can be damned skippy that's what will be in my rig before christmas
Old Jan 29, 2007, 01:54 PM   #3
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

bet it needs a new VRM or something so you have to get a new mobo.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 29, 2007, 01:56 PM   #4
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

By the looks of things, Intel will be moving to 32nm by the time AMD is in full swing with 65nm.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 01:57 PM   #5
Sound_Card
Banned

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
bet it needs a new VRM or something so you have to get a new mobo.
DDR3 support only I think...
Old Jan 29, 2007, 02:15 PM   #6
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_Card View Post
DDR3 support only I think...
Nope. Your assuming integrated memory controller. Intel CPUs are never tied to a single memory type unless there's no other chipsets to support other memory types. This is the MAIN reason Intel hasn't integrated memory controller yet, to keep memory type flexibility. The only POSSIBLE incompatibility would be what Caveman mentioned, voltages. Since Penryn is 45nm, it'll require lower voltages and may need a new VRM for it if existing ones can't go low enough, tho that will depend on just how much they reduce vcore...
Old Jan 29, 2007, 02:18 PM   #7
Sound_Card
Banned

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
Nope. Your assuming integrated memory controller. Intel CPUs are never tied to a single memory type unless there's no other chipsets to support other memory types. This is the MAIN reason Intel hasn't integrated memory controller yet, to keep memory type flexibility. The only POSSIBLE incompatibility would be what Caveman mentioned, voltages. Since Penryn is 45nm, it'll require lower voltages and may need a new VRM for it if existing ones can't go low enough, tho that will depend on just how much they reduce vcore...
I know very well that the memory controller is not on the cpu. But it would be foolish to think that future DDR3 chipsets will still be on P965.

hmmm....
Old Jan 29, 2007, 02:34 PM   #8
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_Card View Post
I know very well that the memory controller is not on the cpu. But it would be foolish to think that future DDR3 chipsets will still be on P965.

hmmm....
Wait a minute, your off in chipset la-la land while we're talking about the CPU itself. Obviously P965 isn't DDR3 and never will be, I'm unsure where your drawing the connection tho. Penryn will not be tied to any ONE chipset, it'll be tied to several chipset families, both Intel and non-Intel branded. Most likely there will be DDR2 and DDR3 chipsets the Penryn will drop into just fine. Seeing as Intel is already saying that some boards out now MAY be able to support it, your approaching this from far left field I think. DDR3 is tied to the chipset.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 02:51 PM   #9
Sound_Card
Banned

ATI Technologies

ahh I know what your saying.

Again, I really dont know much about Intel's matters, so I was thinking that this CPU will only be supported on their DDR3 based chipsets. But you said it your self that Intel annouced MAYBE some support on it's current chipsets. That clears everything right there.

But the last I heard of DDR3 is that ATI currently leads in devlopment with Intel in a close second. That was months ago.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 04:38 PM   #10
jima13
Retired

jima13 is still being judged by the masses

Intel

Michael did a nice write up on it> http://www.lostcircuits.com/cpu/intel_penryn/
jima13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 04:43 PM   #11
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

mV???? We're moving to Mv, folks. Millivolts. CPUs in the Penryn family will have sub-1 volt specs. 900-950 mV.... Wow! COOL!!!! Jima13 get rep love
Old Jan 30, 2007, 02:52 AM   #12
Grim Reaper,The
Radeon R520

Grim Reaper,The is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post

AFAIK, Intel hasn't moved to on die memory controller is because CSI isn't ready. CSI should be ready this year and, probably, that is when Intel will integrate the memory controller and when we'll see true quads from Intel.
You'll all push up flowers
Grim Reaper,The is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 03:07 AM   #13
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

I'm less certain of that now. I think they may hold CSI and IMC until Nehalem (misspelled, but you know which one I mean).
Old Jan 30, 2007, 07:12 AM   #14
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper,The View Post
AFAIK, Intel hasn't moved to on die memory controller is because CSI isn't ready. CSI should be ready this year and, probably, that is when Intel will integrate the memory controller and when we'll see true quads from Intel.
Source? CSI isn't slated to debut until the Nehalem family of MPUs is released, and that's not until 2008.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote