Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

"

Old Sep 10, 2006, 05:47 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Vorpal
Radeon HD 7970

Vorpal is still being judged by the masses

Default Handheld Monthly Sales Graph

This is pretty neat for a historical view of handheld sales:
http://pspupdates.qj.net/uploads/art...05gafchart.png

From the Pspudates.qj.net news article:

Game Boy Color - 17,050,000
Game Boy Advance ~ 13,730,000 (numbers not counted in recent months)
Game Boy Advance SP + Game Boy Micro - 18,340,000
All Game Boy Advance models combined: 32,027,000
----------------------------------------------------
Nintendo DS - 5,837,000
PlayStation Portable - 5,022,000
N-Gage ~ 60,000

So wow the N-Gage was a total failure.

The other thing would be the figures lie a bit. I walked into a Gamestop over the weekend and they had 20 (freaking 20) used PSP's in the counter. They only give $80 credit for them.... On the other hand there were no DS's in the case. I thought at least they'd have a couple from people trading up to DS Lite's.
Vorpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 09:29 PM   #2
Hidavi
Beep Boop Beep

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
So wow the N-Gage was a total failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
I thought at least they'd have a couple from people trading up to DS Lite's.
Thats what Walmart's for
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 05:31 PM   #3
Unreal
The New Season

Unreal is still being judged by the masses

PSP sales are a lot higher than i expected
Gaming PC: Intel C2D E4400 @ 3.0Ghz | Arctic Cooling F7 Pro | Asus P5N-E SLI | 3GB OCZ DDR2 Platinum XTC | eVGA 8800GT 512MB | Creative Audigy 2 ZS | Internal: Maxtor 200GB SATA | External: Seagate 1TB | Sony DW-D23A 16x DVD±RW | Windows 7 32Bit | 3DMark06: 11,179

Consoles: PlayStation 3 & PlayStation Portable
Unreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 13, 2006, 07:30 PM   #4
wangFu
take him away!

wangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
because its the "cool" thing to have, think the ipod

Toshiba Qosmio i7 3630qm/12gb ddr3/GTX670m/256gb Crucial M4
wangFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 08:51 AM   #5
Myth
Radeon HD 7970

Myth is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangFu View Post
because its the "cool" thing to have, think the ipod

that and the fact that it can be used as a gps,a wireless remote for your tv,cable box,ps2,xbox,garage door(provided you have the right pronto code for it of course),it will be a remote for the playstation 3 and the ps3 will be able to stream media wether music/video DIRECTLY to the psp,remote for windows media player through wi-fi,Emulate & play roms for systems such as ,snes,sega,nes,cps-cps2,hell even ps1(officially through sony and non officially through homebrew),plays mp3/atrac & video files not to mention its a net browser as well(although not the greatest),emulate sony's "required firmwares" for newer games,gamesharing(meaning 2 people can play the same game with 1 disc provided the game supports gamesharing),the psp can be Used to make text to voice phone calls and will end up being a full fledged voip phone in the very near future, The psp can be used as a universal language translator for people that travel alot,it can be used as a pdf viewer,it can also be used for ALL types of RSS feeds,hell the psp is even capable of booting up windows 98(although at the moment its useless of course)and the list goes on and on and expands EVERY SINGLE day...So believe me when I tell you that the ipod simply CANNOT compare to the psp and believe me when I tell you that the people that buy a psp thinking its the "cool" thing to have usually are not even aware of all the things the psp is cable of and WILL be capable of and the ones that do are the noobs in forums asking how to install homebrew and asking a million and one questions..Sure the things the psp is capable of are similar to that of a pocket pc but for those that just wanted a good portable gaming device/console (like myself) certaintly got alot more than they paid for.

Last edited by Myth : Sep 14, 2006 at 08:53 AM.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 12:49 PM   #6
TenFour
Rage3D Veteran

TenFour is still being judged by the masses

Nintendo has also caused competition with themselves by continuing to sell the Game Boy Advance. not that it's a bad strategy, because the price difference is so great between the Advance and DS, and because the Advance owners are building up a library of games that will work on the DS, and so may upgrade at any time.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 08:13 AM   #7
Dodongo77
Rage3D Veteran

Dodongo77 is still being judged by the masses

Two things I noticed:

Games don't seem to have any effect on sales.
Total Nintendo handheld sales are practically static year on year. No wonder why Nintendo covets that market. Pretty much guaranteed sales year after year.
Dodongo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 09:12 AM   #8
Farmer_BOB
Rage3D Veteran

Farmer_BOB is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
What do you expect, it is a PSP site afterall.
Farmer_BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 11:39 AM   #9
Seerkin
I don't like you like you

Seerkin is still being judged by the masses

Man, I thought the DS creamed the PSP.. but the sales are so freakin close.. wow, I did not realise this.

You know, I really don't play my DS that much anymore.. since the 360, and the PC.. well I just don't. Have not bought any new games for it in awhile neither, not to say there arent any good ones QUITE the contrary infact.

I just have no drive to play it.. the PSP looks very sexy, part of me wants one.. but then the other part of me says.. no.. you have a DS.

The post above mentioning the features of the PSP, half of that sounds like you were kidding @_@.. but some of it is probably true, either way.. damn.
Seerkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:02 PM   #10
Dodongo77
Rage3D Veteran

Dodongo77 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seerkin View Post
Man, I thought the DS creamed the PSP.. but the sales are so freakin close.. wow, I did not realise this.

You know, I really don't play my DS that much anymore.. since the 360, and the PC.. well I just don't. Have not bought any new games for it in awhile neither, not to say there arent any good ones QUITE the contrary infact.

I just have no drive to play it.. the PSP looks very sexy, part of me wants one.. but then the other part of me says.. no.. you have a DS.

The post above mentioning the features of the PSP, half of that sounds like you were kidding @_@.. but some of it is probably true, either way.. damn.
Remember, that's only US sales. The Japan charts would look quite different...
Dodongo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 10:20 AM   #11
Myth
Radeon HD 7970

Myth is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seerkin View Post

Believe me I wasnt kidding,EVERYTHING I mentioned above with the psp IS possible and I have done ALL(if not most of it) myself with my psp..See most versions of the psp have an exploit which allow developers to release hacks and/or homebrew which basically allows one to run their own code while making use of the psp's hardware this is turn results in the psp being much more than a handheld gaming device but more of a pocket pc. This is ONE of the reasons for the psp's sales(the ones that know about it of course) but the majority of those people are using it to pirate games LOL which in my opinion is NOT what certain homebrew applications were intended to be used for but what else is new? You basically get yourself a version 1.5 psp, get yourself two, 2 gig pro duo sticks or one 4gig pro duo stick and voila,you never have to buy another psp game again(until sony comes up with a way to prevent this which lately they have NOT been very successful in doing).
Old Sep 27, 2006, 12:23 PM   #12
Drunken Janitor
Blistering Barnacles!

Drunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDrunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I'm kinda surprised about this. For every 3 DS I see, I see maybe 1 PSP.
i5 4670 Haswell <> Gigabyte radeon 280x <> 8 gigs of some ram that happened to be on sale that week <> Asus Z87-K <> Some DVD burner that has been used for 3-4 computers - might be a pioneer <> Winblows. 8.1
Drunken Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 03:50 PM   #13
Seerkin
I don't like you like you

Seerkin is still being judged by the masses

PSP is cool and all, but after going out and getting an onyx DS lite (ridding myself of the uncool fat chick who has a great personality, gives good well you know.. but is still a fat chick you dont want anyone to know your dateing.. cuz like you know it's bad for your rep, and it's like when you go out in pu.. you know what im off subject here.) and ordering a G6.. all I can say is, I have the best of both worlds.

Seerkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 04:06 PM   #14
ElBerryKM13
Rage3D Veteran

ElBerryKM13 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer_BOB View Post
What do you expect, it is a PSP site afterall.
Care to prove the "right" numbers?
Old Oct 13, 2006, 11:47 AM   #15
Hatecrime69
Rage3D Veteran

Hatecrime69 is still being judged by the masses

what about the sales in software comparison?
Hatecrime69 is offline   Reply With Quote