Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Distributed Computing (Team Rage3D)
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Distributed Computing (Team Rage3D) Home of the Team Rage3D [email protected] project. Get [email protected] info, download information, and details on how to join the Team. Team Rage3D progress updates posted here daily.

Old Jun 15, 2006, 06:10 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Angry Snakes on a computer - How???

If you haven't noticed the near-disappearance of 1920x1080i-How???, you've been living under a rock somewhere. The following is a summary of events surrounding his decline, and a stark reminder as to the seriousness of illegal borging.

Shmaa (you might remember him as the one w/ "insider information" awhile back) and UCMajewski, collectively known as LocalBusinessMen (LBM), from xtremesystems' Rosetta team illegally installed [email protected] onto computers that were already LEGALLY running [email protected] The resulting instability from running two DC projects on systems simultaneously resulted in [email protected] being removed because it was assumed that it was responsible for the issues that had suddenly arisen (because those in charge did not know until later that the systems had been illegally borged with Rosetta).

Now, it is important to understand that How???, being senior systems administrator, was in the appropriate position to install [email protected] on computers under his responsibility. He made sure that people both up and down the chain (including network operations and the head of IT security) knew that Folding was installed and how it was being used (burning in / stability). But with these events taking place, it is doubtful that any distributed computing project will be reintroduced.

And what about shmaa and ucmajewski? Project points zeroed out and banned from xtremesystem. And where does that leave [email protected] and Distributed Computing projects in general? If nothing else, short about 2THz in computing power. This is why people must have the proper authority before installing ANY program on a system that is not their own.

UPDATE: Posted at Folding-Community - LINK (and a local copy of post)

Last edited by Lupine : Jun 18, 2006 at 01:12 PM.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 06:18 PM   #2
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

The end of an era, courtesy of dumb interns.

Last edited by caveman-jim : Jun 15, 2006 at 06:21 PM.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 06:26 PM   #3
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

I'll just simply say..

I hate stupid people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 15, 2006, 06:26 PM   #4
confusedsoul
Radeon Sea Islands

confusedsoul can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyconfusedsoul can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_Factor
I'll just simply say..

I hate stupid people.
Agreed.

Edit. I'll also add stupid people are dumb
Old Jun 15, 2006, 06:33 PM   #5
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

It seems odd that there is no mention of this elsewhere, where you might expec it...
Old Jun 15, 2006, 06:34 PM   #6
confusedsoul
Radeon Sea Islands

confusedsoul can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyconfusedsoul can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim
It seems odd that there is no mention of this elsewhere, where you might expec it...

I just looked as well. It is a bit wierd. Maybe they're trying to decide how to act on it.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 06:37 PM   #7
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Quote:
You know how I feel about that..

Its a very unhappy thing, what these "dumb kids" did without thinking of consequences. It doesnt just hurt those immediately affected. It hurts all distributed computing projects.

We've lost the computing power, and that power will be gone for a very very long time.

How??? must be very unhappy, and I would be as well.
Quote:
Old Jun 15, 2006, 06:39 PM   #8
confusedsoul
Radeon Sea Islands

Lupine and I would like people to take note that How???'s production dropped from 100k points to under 10k points per day because of this. What a loss for not only Team Rage3D but for the folding community in general.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 06:43 PM   #9
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
I guess there are two approaches here. You can either use it as an example to deter like behavior or sweep it under the rug and move along as though it never happened. Fortunately [email protected] encourages the former rather than the latter.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 06:56 PM   #10
KingFish
Self Proclaimed Doodyhead

KingFish is still being judged by the masses

That's simply atrocious. Thanks for giving us the "no bull" facts Lupine. It's a terrible black eye for the community through no fault of those that did it the right way with the appropriate permissions. I do hope that some good can come of this by people heeding the advice of, "get permission before you borg." It's simply not cool doing it any other way.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 07:09 PM   #11
sittal
Radeon Arctic Islands

sittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

so he wont be back?

i joined this team beacuse we had the #1 folder, now were just another regular team.. that sucks
sittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 07:19 PM   #12
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittal
so he wont be back?

i joined this team beacuse we had the #1 folder, now were just another regular team.. that sucks
The machines he used very likely will not be used for ANY DC projects any longer because of the illegal actions of some immature members of another project.

Its a bad thing for ALL distributed computing projects. All that computer power lost, and cant help ANY project now.
Quote:
Old Jun 15, 2006, 07:38 PM   #13
confusedsoul
Radeon Sea Islands

Quote:
so he wont be back?

We are not just a regular team, we are Team Rage! Just because two immature punks decided to ruin this for How??? doesn't mean they have to ruin this team! Come on guys, this isn't the end of us nor the end of How?? for that matter. I don't want to hear anything about how this team sucks now that How??? is not the #1 folder. I want to hear how we can become the #1 team! Come on sittal, if it will make you feel any better, I'll let you kill me on the clan server!!!
Old Jun 15, 2006, 07:46 PM   #14
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
so he wont be back?

sorry we're not cool enough for you anymore.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 08:11 PM   #15
luxor
Mendoza

luxor is still being judged by the masses

Darn, I was expecting an announcement for his comeback. This really sucks

Thanks to all the folders of team 64, including How, we are the number 6 team in the world. That's something! Now that How will probably never be back to his previous production levels, it's the job of the other folders to make sure that we keep our current place and even move up!
luxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 08:52 PM   #16
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Such is a reminder that all things end.

Just means that the rest of us need to pick up the slack. So start folding folks.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 09:01 PM   #17
Greasy
ODI

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Man I wish I could install FAH on the 90,000+ PCs we have at work!

Guess, I need to buy a ton of these soon to be cheap Pentium Ds.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 09:06 PM   #18
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Heh, yeah that would be schaweeeet!

But don't do it as a intern, borgin is bad mmmkay

Last edited by Lupine : Jun 15, 2006 at 11:08 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 09:44 PM   #19
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Snakes on a computer I can't believe no one else caught that yet

@ LBM & XS.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 10:04 PM   #20
confusedsoul
Radeon Sea Islands

Like this

Old Jun 16, 2006, 12:54 AM   #21
sittal
Radeon Arctic Islands

sittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
sorry we're not cool enough for you anymore.
well.. now that you know...

*walks away*

on another note, this will encourage me to redouble my efforts to convince the people at osu-okmulgee next year.

im betting 90% intel based, though they may be moving to dual core, because they are a technology school and constantly updating.

they have Macs and Dells, so they might as well all be intel

oh well, i do like the little green logo next to intel

anyway, it will take months of planning, but i do hope to become the next How???
sittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 12:59 AM   #22
superbotje
Dutchie

superbotje is still being judged by the masses

So because somebody else is immature, How??? takes the hit? That sucks.
What if there will be a version released which only allows one instance of FAH on a single processor/single core machine. One that exits install if another instance is already running? So maybe then How??? can explain that what happened will never happen again.

PS. that explains the sudden rise from 650 to 1300 processors a while back

Quote:
but i do hope to become the next How???
Hope that will work sittal, good luck.

Why not run [email protected] client to cure cancer, if you're computer is just wasting CPU cycles? (CPU/GPU/SMP) Join Team Rage3D now!
If you're Dutch join the fold under:Username: The_Raging_Dutchmen / Team: 64

Last edited by superbotje : Jun 16, 2006 at 01:02 AM.
superbotje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 01:02 AM   #23
confusedsoul
Radeon Sea Islands

Machines had [email protected] installed on them first. Then, some punks decided to install an instance of [email protected] as well WITHOUT permission. Not two instances of [email protected] I don't know what the rise in processors was from though.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 01:11 AM   #24
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedsoul
Machines had [email protected] installed on them first. Then, some punks decided to install an instance of [email protected] as well WITHOUT permission. Not two instances of [email protected] I don't know what the rise in processors was from though.
There was often a rise in processor count following a systemwide reimaging. But that is due to the same workstations being counted multiple times (machine gets a new ID, so shows up as a new machine).

Same thing happens if you reinstall Folding for some reason. Until it drops off, the box is counted twice (or more depending upon number of clients installed).
Old Jun 16, 2006, 01:27 AM   #25
Lupine
Administrator

Guys, keep in mind this isn't a pity party. We are no worse off today than we were yesterday. In fact, now at least everyone knows what happened and why. No, we don't know the long-term effects of this. But whether or not How??? returns doesn't change the fact that we are still Team Rage3D. We can and will continue to grow, and will remain one of the top [email protected] teams.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 01:55 AM   #26
superbotje
Dutchie

superbotje is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine
But whether or not How??? returns doesn't change the fact that we are still Team Rage3D. We can and will continue to grow, and will remain one of the top [email protected] teams.
Indeed we will, and I see we've got a new good folder in our midst.
Woodcrest, started a few days ago, already 10 wu's finished.

Why not run [email protected] client to cure cancer, if you're computer is just wasting CPU cycles? (CPU/GPU/SMP) Join Team Rage3D now!
If you're Dutch join the fold under:Username: The_Raging_Dutchmen / Team: 64
superbotje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 02:09 AM   #27
XSBagage
while the world crumbles

XSBagage can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXSBagage can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Where would that be? Rosetta? Stanford?

By the way it royally sucks, I have no idea on HOW??? his situation but I don't expect to see him back up to 100k+ ppd soon. I mean he lost the computers due to this **** and doesn't work there anymore, so it would take some seriously good relations with the people at his old company to mend this I suppose.
They better release that GPU client soon.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:07 AM   #28
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationcurio has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationcurio has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationcurio has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationcurio has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationcurio has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationcurio has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationcurio has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationcurio has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationcurio has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationcurio has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

****ers
Old Jun 16, 2006, 12:00 PM   #29
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSBagage
Where would that be? Rosetta? Stanford?

By the way it royally sucks, I have no idea on HOW??? his situation but I don't expect to see him back up to 100k+ ppd soon. I mean he lost the computers due to this **** and doesn't work there anymore, so it would take some seriously good relations with the people at his old company to mend this I suppose.
They better release that GPU client soon.
XtremeSystems. Some of the mods/admins over there are doing everything possible to sweep this under the rug. Discussion of these events is *not* allowed at XS. I don't agree with those actions but it's their site and they can run it however they like.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 02:32 PM   #30
rogueagent6

rogueagent6 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran
XtremeSystems. Some of the mods/admins over there are doing everything possible to sweep this under the rug. Discussion of these events is *not* allowed at XS. I don't agree with those actions but it's their site and they can run it however they like.
Hello all, I am a member of the XS Rosetta team.

What I want to know is how can you call XS banning LBM, having their points deleted, and giving up first place "sweeping it under the rug" as ShaidarHaran put it?

Now I will admit that there have been threads deleted, but only after flamewars were started by people that joined the XS forums for the sole purpose of flamebaiting.

rogueagent6 is offline   Reply With Quote