Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Off-Topic Forums » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

"

Old May 19, 2006, 08:40 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ice once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ice once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ice once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ice once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ice once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default What happens when a cat eats a mouse?

I am taking care of my sister's cats while she is in Vegas, and she told me to feed her hamster and mice on Friday. I've been going in there every day to check on the mice just to see them and they are always out and about. I haven't seen the hamster at all though, so I just assumed it was sleeping every time I went in there. Today I went to feed it and still didn't see it, so I looked in its little cardboard box house and felt around and didn't feel it. I checked everywhere in the cage and still saw and felt nothing. When I went in the room the door to the cage wasn't latched, it was just pushed down.

Now, the mice are in their bedroom, and I always kept the door shut. The cats are in the room outside their bedroom. There is a fairly large gap underneath the door though, so if the hamster somehow got out it could have very well came into the rest of the house, where I believe the cats may have done something to it. There are three cats, one obese one with claws and two younger ones without front claws.

When cats eat mice, do they literally eat them bones and all or do they just kill and hide them? I've looked all over the place for this thing and I can't find it anywhere, dead or alive.

X3350 (3.6GHZ)|4GB of GSkill|500GB + 320GB SATA|ECS GTX 580 |Abit IP35 Pro|Windows 7 64 Ultimate

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.

Last edited by ice : May 19, 2006 at 08:44 PM.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 08:45 PM   #2
Ghost_™
Exit 2006, Novi Sad

Ghost_™ is still being judged by the masses

I feel bad for the cute little hamsters and mice. Why don't you just feed her cat food :/
Ghost_™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 08:48 PM   #3
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ice once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ice once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ice once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ice once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ice once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_™

I feel bad for the cute little hamsters and mice. Why don't you just feed her cat food :/

I've fed the cats every day with cat food, canned and dry.

I know for a fact that that hamster was not visible from day one though, I went and checked on it. I didn't go near the cage to open it and leave the door open, and I'm not even sure if the thing could have popped the door open, climbed up, and escaped.

X3350 (3.6GHZ)|4GB of GSkill|500GB + 320GB SATA|ECS GTX 580 |Abit IP35 Pro|Windows 7 64 Ultimate

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 19, 2006, 09:00 PM   #4
dreamwalker
friendly?

dreamwalker can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydreamwalker can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydreamwalker can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Oh man poor hamster

But uh, I don't think a cat will regurgitate bones .. have you checked their feces lately?
dreamwalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 09:01 PM   #5
Villainess
Team Targaryen

Villainess doesn't need no stinkin' badgesVillainess doesn't need no stinkin' badgesVillainess doesn't need no stinkin' badgesVillainess doesn't need no stinkin' badgesVillainess doesn't need no stinkin' badgesVillainess doesn't need no stinkin' badgesVillainess doesn't need no stinkin' badgesVillainess doesn't need no stinkin' badges

My cat Fizzy caught a mouse last night

I think it is just natural instinct and you can't really stop it from happening unless you keep the cat away from such temptations.
Old May 19, 2006, 09:02 PM   #6
ice
Rage3D Spammer

I also clean their litterboxes every day. I didn't see anything that looked out of the ordinary. I mean, I think I'd notice part of a hamster sticking out.

I know most feral cats will eat the whole thing, but all three of these are domestic, and I would think there would be a trace of blood or fur or something on them or around the room. I can find nothing.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old May 19, 2006, 10:40 PM   #7
xCLAVEx
Gone

xCLAVEx is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess

I think it is just natural instinct and you can't really stop it from happening unless you keep the cat away from such temptations.

That's creepy. You and I have the same mouse AND cellphone!
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 11:52 PM   #8
Cylan
Roll The Bones

Cylan is still being judged by the masses

When my cats ate mice, they ate "everything". Well, only one caught and ate, the other just caught and gave presents.

So that means the cat ate bones and all. EXCEPT that, with her catches, there were always an organ or two that she'd leave out. Sometimes she left the kidneys, sometimes it was the liver. And the head - she'd leave the head. But everything else was gone, and the "kill zone" was otherwise clean. We would never have known that a mouse was killed and eaten if it weren't for the leftovers.

If the cats were going to give you a "present", they'd let you know. If they ate it, well... you probably won't find out from them. But perhaps it's also possible that the hamster found a place to secret itself away in the room itself.

Keeping mice/hamsters and cats in the same house is just asking for trouble, if you ask me.
Old May 20, 2006, 12:36 AM   #9
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylan
When my cats ate mice, they ate "everything". Well, only one caught and ate, the other just caught and gave presents.

So that means the cat ate bones and all. EXCEPT that, with her catches, there were always an organ or two that she'd leave out. Sometimes she left the kidneys, sometimes it was the liver. And the head - she'd leave the head. But everything else was gone, and the "kill zone" was otherwise clean. We would never have known that a mouse was killed and eaten if it weren't for the leftovers.

If the cats were going to give you a "present", they'd let you know. If they ate it, well... you probably won't find out from them. But perhaps it's also possible that the hamster found a place to secret itself away in the room itself.

Keeping mice/hamsters and cats in the same house is just asking for trouble, if you ask me.
I agree, especially in an apartment where there is no hiding from them aside from a door with a giant gap.

I checked everywhere in their bedroom, I am totally out of spots to look at. There is no trace of the thing anywhere, not even any poop.

Are your cats outside or inside cats? I would think a cat raised totally inside, while still having instincts, may just "play" with the hamster and kill it from that, not devour it leaving no trace. I am probably wrong though.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old May 20, 2006, 12:45 AM   #10
Ghost_™
Exit 2006, Novi Sad

Ghost_™ is still being judged by the masses

Hamster probably found freedom, and took it!
Ghost_™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 12:51 AM   #11
-n7-
Rage3D Veteran

-n7- is still being judged by the masses

If the cats are not hungry, they'll likely have tortured it to death, IOW, hurt it, but not enough so it can't move.

On teh farm, often teh cats would catch a mouse, & they'd injure it, & let it go, only to pounce on it over & over, till i think the mouse would just give up, & then it was suppertime for the cats...

Usually they'd cough up bones etc later it seemed, but sometime they just ate whole...& no trace left behind.

n7

n7
-n7- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 12:58 AM   #12
N2K
Tracking the market

N2K is still being judged by the masses

My cat ate the head of a mouse once and then puked it up on the carpet. That was really fun to clean up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounty_hunter View Post
I would eat her **** if she asked me too
N2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 01:07 AM   #13
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Stupid bastards, so I'm pretty much screwd in finding out either way, unless I can find the thing alive somewhere. Why do they have to be such secretive *******s?

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old May 20, 2006, 01:25 AM   #14
Villainess
Team Targaryen

Villainess doesn't need no stinkin' badgesVillainess doesn't need no stinkin' badgesVillainess doesn't need no stinkin' badgesVillainess doesn't need no stinkin' badgesVillainess doesn't need no stinkin' badgesVillainess doesn't need no stinkin' badgesVillainess doesn't need no stinkin' badgesVillainess doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx
dun DUN DUUUUUUUUUN
Old May 20, 2006, 01:26 AM   #15
kenji_samurai
Radeon HD 6870

kenji_samurai is still being judged by the masses

Go to a petshop and get a quick replacement.
Old May 20, 2006, 01:34 AM   #16
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_141
Stupid bastards, so I'm pretty much screwd in finding out either way, unless I can find the thing alive somewhere. Why do they have to be such secretive *******s?
because they are cats

dogs ftw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 01:38 AM   #17
andino
Rage3D Veteran

andino once held a door open for a complete strangerandino once held a door open for a complete strangerandino once held a door open for a complete strangerandino once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx
I feel a Fight Club moment coming on...
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 03:30 AM   #18
lumpyhed
nyannyannyannyan

lumpyhed can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultylumpyhed can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultylumpyhed can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:

thats a cute pussy you've got there
lumpyhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 07:25 AM   #19
phial
no things

phial is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I also clean their litterboxes every day. I didn't see anything that looked out of the ordinary. I mean, I think I'd notice part of a hamster sticking out.

I know most feral cats will eat the whole thing, but all three of these are domestic, and I would think there would be a trace of blood or fur or something on them or around the room. I can find nothing.
Mice dont bleed that much really. The demestic cats Ive seen will just play with it... a few times I found mangled dead mice under the porch which was their "safe hiding spot" theywould always camp. Im not sure if they ate them tho.

A hamster is a wee bit bigger than a mouce tho, no?

Oh and Villy : that cat is SO CUTE, im jealous
Old May 20, 2006, 09:11 AM   #20
Cylan
Roll The Bones

Cylan is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Are your cats outside or inside cats? I would think a cat raised totally inside, while still having instincts, may just "play" with the hamster and kill it from that, not devour it leaving no trace. I am probably wrong though.
Our cats were indoor cats, though they spent a significant amount of time outside, where they would basically just hunt for mice/chipmunks/birds.
Old May 20, 2006, 10:43 AM   #21
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phial
Mice dont bleed that much really. The demestic cats Ive seen will just play with it... a few times I found mangled dead mice under the porch which was their "safe hiding spot" theywould always camp. Im not sure if they ate them tho.

A hamster is a wee bit bigger than a mouce tho, no?

Oh and Villy : that cat is SO CUTE, im jealous

Yeah, they are bigger. I'd say about twie as big as a little feeder mouse.

I know when I shot that chipmunk with my airsoft gun it bled pretty good, I figured this would do the same.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old May 20, 2006, 10:44 AM   #22
Villainess
Team Targaryen

Quote:

I know when I shot that chipmunk with my airsoft gun it bled pretty good, I figured this would do the same.
You bastard.
Old May 20, 2006, 11:03 AM   #23
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpyhed
thats a cute pussy you've got there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 11:10 AM   #24
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
You bastard.

I made a thread about it. I think it was rabid because it flew out of a bush and started trying to attack me. I don't take kind to small creatures trying to bully me around.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old May 20, 2006, 03:49 PM   #25
Jankan
Banged

Jankan can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJankan can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJankan can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJankan can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJankan can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJankan can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJankan can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJankan can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJankan can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJankan can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJankan can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

What you mean, does she spit ot swallow?
Old May 20, 2006, 04:16 PM   #26
phial
no things

phial is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

I did that once when I was about 7... I went back a day later and the poor thing was still laying there alive. I had broken its back but didnt pierce the flesh. I picked it up and rolled it around in my hand and all of a sudden the little guy latched onto my thumb and bit right through the nail! Bled all over... I deserved it though. Poor little guy layed there for about 3 days before he died... I felt bad but I didnt want to kill him... didnt really understand as a little kid.
Old May 20, 2006, 04:30 PM   #27
jbarby
Victory is Mine!

jbarby is still being judged by the masses

The cat we had would eat everything but the head and front arms.

But sometimes the gerbil would escape into the vent. We would have to entice it with food.
jbarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 04:49 PM   #28
DeathKnight
Rage3D Spammer

DeathKnight can recite pi backwardsDeathKnight can recite pi backwardsDeathKnight can recite pi backwardsDeathKnight can recite pi backwardsDeathKnight can recite pi backwardsDeathKnight can recite pi backwardsDeathKnight can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

I'd look harder for the hamster. Check everywhere, even in places that you wouldn't think it could be. If there's still no sign then oh well.
Intel Core i5-2500k @ 4.2GHz | Corsair H50 | MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) | 2 x 4GB G.SKILL DDR3 2133 | Gigabyte GTX 570 | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude | OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD | Maxtor 300GB SATA Ultra16 | Seagate 500GB 32MB SATA2 | WD 640GB Black | Toshiba 2.5" 500GB in eSATA enclosure | Asus DRW-24B1ST DVD/RW drive | Antec P180B w/700w Thermaltake TP modular PSU | Win 7 Pro | 1920x1080 w/LCD TV
HT: Philips 42PFL3603D/27 42" 1080P LCD HDTV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox 360
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Sigma 100-300mm F4 EX APO | Sigma EX APO 1.4x TC | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead

My New Photo Gallery (prints available)
Old Gallery
DeathKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 04:54 PM   #29
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight
I'd look harder for the hamster. Check everywhere, even in places that you wouldn't think it could be. If there's still no sign then oh well.

I pretty much did. I left food for it in case it was still alive, but I went as far as to check EVERY pair of shoes my sister had in a closet, and you know girls and their shoes.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old May 20, 2006, 05:59 PM   #30
lumpyhed
nyannyannyannyan

lumpyhed can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultylumpyhed can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultylumpyhed can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

You need a motion tracker and cattle prod to give it a little incentive.
lumpyhed is offline   Reply With Quote