Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old May 16, 2006, 09:24 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Just got the game, essential mods?

I just bought Oblivion yesterday (collector's edition because I'm a consumer whore). I was messing around with it the other night and man is it cool, such a huge improvement over Morrowind.

Anyway, what are the essential mods for the game? I'd like to keep it mostly stock in terms of items and stuff like that, but something to clean up the muddy faces would be nice (there's a ton of face mods out there, which is best). Also I'd like to try something to increase the texture detail of distant areas, but again I'm not sure what to get. Anything else beyond that stuff?

Last edited by Sweetz : May 16, 2006 at 09:39 PM.
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 02:04 AM   #2
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Tessources is your friend. You'll want to search there for the Landscape textures (that should find it easy enough), the improved landscape normal maps from better landscape shadows in the distance to get rid of the nasty blocky look of them. I highly recommend also searching for the Advanced Water mod. I'd give the link but just don't have them bookmarked cause I searched em out and downloaded them, never bothering to bookmark em cause I archived them on a network drive after downloading and just didn't worry about it.

Another very good mod to add flavor and allow you to build a party of adventurers is Toaster Says Share, also found on tessource. This one made the game interesting enough for a THIRD run thru it now.
Old May 17, 2006, 02:12 AM   #3
Drexion
Radeon Sea Islands

Drexion can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDrexion can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

BTmod is a must, it removes the consolitis from the menus. Its probably the most popular and widely used oblivion mod.
[Proc: Intel Core i7 [email protected]][GPU: MSI GTX980Ti 6GB][Mem: 64GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 2666-DDR4][Mobo: Asus X99-A][HD: Samsung 500GB SSD 840 EVO][PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850W G2][Audio: Yamaha RX-V673 7.2/JBL 7.2 Surround]
Drexion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 17, 2006, 05:52 AM   #4
Codmate
Radeon R700

Codmate is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexion
BTmod is a must, it removes the consolitis from the menus. Its probably the most popular and widely used oblivion mod.
Yes - even Bethesda reccomend that PC users use this mod (Tod thingy said so on the PC Gamer podcast anyway).
Codmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 08:06 AM   #5
Dengin
Rage3D Veteran

Dengin is still being judged by the masses

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp?CIID=36919 has some must-have and good to have mods. I use the texture replacements mod and a slower leveling mod. Personally, I could not do without the Saddlebags mod and the Petshop mod has made this game a lot more enjoyable.
Dengin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 06:36 PM   #6
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete stranger

How do the LOD texture mods affect performance?

Since they essentially double the resolution of distance textures are there any worries when running on a 256MB card?
Old May 17, 2006, 09:09 PM   #7
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Depends. Your 7900GT should handle either the distance landscape improved textures with improved normal maps and HDR, or the close in improved landscape textures with HDR and be able to play most of the time at 1280x1024 with 16x AF. But don't try to use both the improved distance and the improved close in together with HDR unless you fancy 800x600 for smooth gameplay. Your improved clock speeds and extra 4 pipes should allow you to not have to do like I do and drop to 1024x768 during large scale battles with alot of NPCs on screen if you stick to the above advice.
Old May 17, 2006, 09:32 PM   #8
Sh26
Rage3D Veteran

Sh26 is still being judged by the masses

http://www.tessource.net/files/cache/2182.html textures

http://www.tessource.net/files/cache/2210.html border textures

http://www.tessource.net/files/cache/2446.html land shadows

No fps hit with them at all or very small 1-5fps and like eveyone said a must download for oblivion.

From what I read oblivion has something like 800/600 res textures off at the distance beacuse of the limits on the xbox360 if they changed them on the pc people would complain that the pc is better or something like that.. So everyone gets the [email protected] textures

edit: I would just go to http://www.tessource.net/files/search.php posted above and use search and put a check next to "More downloads then" and select 10,000 or 5,000

shows you the most popular downloads

Last edited by Sh26 : May 17, 2006 at 09:35 PM.
Sh26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 10:51 PM   #9
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit
Depends. Your 7900GT should handle either the distance landscape improved textures with improved normal maps and HDR, or the close in improved landscape textures with HDR and be able to play most of the time at 1280x1024 with 16x AF. But don't try to use both the improved distance and the improved close in together with HDR unless you fancy 800x600 for smooth gameplay. Your improved clock speeds and extra 4 pipes should allow you to not have to do like I do and drop to 1024x768 during large scale battles with alot of NPCs on screen if you stick to the above advice.
I don't mind the up close textures, just the distance ones. Nor do I really have a problem with their normal maps. But the original distance textures are quite ugly, so I will definitely use upgraded ones then if the performance will be ok.
Old May 18, 2006, 02:09 AM   #10
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

you'll be fine then.
Old May 18, 2006, 07:36 PM   #11
Sh26
Rage3D Veteran

Sh26 is still being judged by the masses

what you talking about? I just posted the links they give very little or no fps hit for anyone.

isnt that what you are talking about? the off land 800 by 600 res textures?

Sh26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 12:02 AM   #12
Martin3
Radeon R700

Martin3 is still being judged by the masses

Aside from the textures mods already mentioned. These are the 3 I couldn't live without.

Adrenaline Oblivion
Though you may want to wait until you learn how to fight before loading it

Katana's

Some great swords. Best sword mod yet IMO.

Oscuros oblivion overhaul
Martin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 08:16 AM   #13
x800guy
Radeon Evergreen

x800guy is still being judged by the masses

Is there a mod that just addresses graphics?
Toshiba Regza 32" LCD
G.Skill 4 GB 4-4-4-5
Windows 7 Pro
x800guy is offline   Reply With Quote