Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Feb 18, 2006, 02:26 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Red face COD2 "Intel Patch" a cheap trick

Have any of you noticed??? Now that Call of Duty 2 has had it's Intel only patch, it seems that the top Intel CPU's out gun that of rival AMD.

So let me get this striaght.... becuase Intel pays off Activision they only release a patch to fix Intel chips and basically screw the AMD users. VERY cheap... if they can make a custom patch to give Intel users more speed, then they could have done it for AMD users too, but didn't. Not only that, but they neglect to give a general all CPU patch as well, in order to keep giving Intel an advantage????

More total crap

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 02:31 PM   #2
Utrion
Rage3D Veteran

Utrion is still being judged by the masses

have you seen benchamrks that the Intel CPUs actually win the AMDs one on this game?
HDD0 :IBM Deathstar 40GB HDD1:Maxtor 160GB EIDE HDD2 Maxtor:7Y300FO
DVD-RW :NEC ND-2510A DL :)
DO YOU FIND BUGS ON YOUR SCREEN?IF YES HERE IS YOUR WAY TO DESTROY THEM//BUG-EATER
3Dmark2001se:34064 3Dmark03:18480 3Dmark05 v1:10011 3Dmark06:4989
Utrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 02:32 PM   #3
nextbillgates

Link to patch?
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 18, 2006, 02:35 PM   #4
Utrion
Rage3D Veteran

Utrion is still being judged by the masses

HDD0 :IBM Deathstar 40GB HDD1:Maxtor 160GB EIDE HDD2 Maxtor:7Y300FO
DVD-RW :NEC ND-2510A DL :)
DO YOU FIND BUGS ON YOUR SCREEN?IF YES HERE IS YOUR WAY TO DESTROY THEM//BUG-EATER
3Dmark2001se:34064 3Dmark03:18480 3Dmark05 v1:10011 3Dmark06:4989
Utrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 02:37 PM   #5
nextbillgates

I've seen benchmarks of it providing improvement for AMD systems. I'm not sure what the OP is rambling about
Old Feb 18, 2006, 05:25 PM   #6
ronbo613

ronbo613 is still being judged by the masses

My copy of COD2 came with an eVGA video card as a promo item. The patch says "retail" game, so I'm assuming this patch will not work with the game I have?
Headed over to Activision right now to see what's up.
ronbo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 05:40 PM   #7
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

My guess is it would work.

As for the patch.... it's not a cheap trick unless:
-It cripples AMD processors
-It enables features which will run on both....only for the intel processors

If it increases performance on intel chips because of some architecture quirk they have, without hurting AMD performance, this is no bad thing.

In all possibility, it could be as you described, adding a feature just for intel chips which will still work on AMD ones, but until I see otherwise, this patch is a good thing.

And Fuku2..... that scares me

EDIT: now I'm fairly convinced it is not one sided.
Quote:
Call of Duty 2 by Infinity Ward - retail v1.01 HTT patch

This Call of Duty 2 update is recommended for Windows 2000/XP users with Intel Hyper-Threading Technology (HT Technology) enabled processors, multiple processors, or systems with a dual core processor. This update will bring any supported version of Call of Duty 2 up to version 1.01. This upgrade will not affect pure server, and will not affect your ability to join or host multiplayer games with version 1.0 players.

Infinity Ward worked closely with Intel to improve Call of Duty 2 performance on systems with HT Technology, multiple processors, or dual core processors. If you do not know whether you have a multi-processor, dual core, or HT Technology enabled system, please see the ReadMe file for simple instructions on checking your system.

Please note that Call of Duty 2 is a very graphically intense game. The greatest performance increase from this upgrade will be realized by selecting Optimal System Settings in the Options menu.

This update supports US/UK English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Polish, and Russian language versions of Call of Duty 2 only.
It divides up some work to make it run better on multicore CPUs. Since Intel's HTT tech emulates this, they get a moderate boost even on a single core system. It looks like a good step toward making Dual Core CPUs mainstream. So in my opinion: Nothing but good.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

Last edited by DaJMasta : Feb 18, 2006 at 05:43 PM.
DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 05:48 PM   #8
ronbo613

ronbo613 is still being judged by the masses

I don't want to change the subject, but I read somewhere how to display the framerate with COD2, but I forgot it. Can someone tell me how to do this?
ronbo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 06:41 PM   #9
Xiro
Oo

Xiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking
Have any of you noticed??? Now that Call of Duty 2 has had it's Intel only patch, it seems that the top Intel CPU's out gun that of rival AMD.

So let me get this striaght.... becuase Intel pays off Activision they only release a patch to fix Intel chips and basically screw the AMD users. VERY cheap... if they can make a custom patch to give Intel users more speed, then they could have done it for AMD users too, but didn't. Not only that, but they neglect to give a general all CPU patch as well, in order to keep giving Intel an advantage????

More total crap
I know the above isn't true but if it was, how is it any different then the "Nvidia: blah blah played, this game runs best on Nivdia" that we are fed every so often when we fire up a game?
Xiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 09:40 PM   #10
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Because they never delivered a "Nvidia only" patch to improve speeds on JUST those cards. Thats exactly what they did with the intel patch. This isn't a hard issue to see people... I fail to see why you can't understand it.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:19 PM   #11
nextbillgates

Quote:
Because they never delivered a "Nvidia only" patch to improve speeds on JUST those cards. Thats exactly what they did with the intel patch. This isn't a hard issue to see people... I fail to see why you can't understand it.
Do you know why we don't seem to "get it"?

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...y_2_dual-core/

Thank you.

/thread
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:29 PM   #12
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

Did you even read the conclusion???? It states theres no improvement on AMD chips, even negative.

"After looking over the results, we were extremely surprised. The Athlon 64 X2 4200+ system failed to yield any performance improvements in Call of Duty 2 1.01, regardless of the graphics card used. Our efforts with AMD’s flagship Athlon 64 X2 4800+ proved equally fruitless -- regardless of the configuration we used, we didn’t see any performance improvements from the new Call of Duty 2 patch."

Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:43 PM   #13
nextbillgates

Quote:
Did you even read the conclusion???? It states theres no improvement on AMD chips, even negative.

"After looking over the results, we were extremely surprised. The Athlon 64 X2 4200+ system failed to yield any performance improvements in Call of Duty 2 1.01, regardless of the graphics card used. Our efforts with AMD’s flagship Athlon 64 X2 4800+ proved equally fruitless -- regardless of the configuration we used, we didn’t see any performance improvements from the new Call of Duty 2 patch."
I guess you must have skipped over the part where the Intel chip doesn't show any performance improvement either, and also dip into negative territory.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:43 PM   #14
eatyour1337ies
Orgy-porgy gives release

eatyour1337ies is still being judged by the masses

Now that you mention it, even the Intel duallys are showing a loss in the majority of tests there. I don't think Intel would screw itself, so something must be afoot.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 02:25 AM   #15
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

This beggs the question: Why didn't they just release a general patch that included numerous fixed and not just a Hyper Threading patch??? Also, why make special notes that the patch is for Intel CPU's only? It's all very odd.

Old Feb 19, 2006, 02:43 AM   #16
Xiro
Oo

Xiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

man, I can tell you love amd but seriously, you are blowing this thing WAY out of proportion.
Xiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 02:46 AM   #17
nextbillgates

Quote:
This beggs the question: Why didn't they just release a general patch that included numerous fixed and not just a Hyper Threading patch??? Also, why make special notes that the patch is for Intel CPU's only? It's all very odd.
Nowhere in the patch notes does it say that the patch is limited to Intel CPUs.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 01:19 PM   #18
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
No where in the patch does it say that it's only for HT processors.

HTT emulates having multiple processors, anything they could do to make it run better on HTT enabled systems would automatically run better on ANY multiprocessor system unless there was a malicious (and unnecissairy/unethical) check to see what CPU you are running.

This probably is not the case, and this patch is NOT A BAD THING.

Just because they worked with intel to develop it and did not specifically mention AMD dosen't mean it was meant to hurt anyone's performance.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

Last edited by DaJMasta : Feb 19, 2006 at 01:22 PM.
DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 03:22 PM   #19
Fat Jez
Radeon Evergreen

Fat Jez is still being judged by the masses

A similar patch exists for Quake 4, albeit in beta form. I installed it and now Quake 4 has multi-processor support. I think all that is happening here is that Intel is pushing the games software houses to support HT/Dual Core. I see no reason why this should adversely affect AMD processors.

Cheers,
Jez
Old Feb 19, 2006, 04:47 PM   #20
fluorescenthat
Rage3D Veteran

fluorescenthat is still being judged by the masses

You will have to buy an intel processor now!
fluorescenthat is offline   Reply With Quote