Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » CATALYST Drivers
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CATALYST Drivers Discussion and Technical support forum for AMD's Catalyst Drivers. Please put Linux-specific driver posts and Remote Wonder discussion in their respective forums.

"

Old Jul 16, 2005, 09:40 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Mett-AL
Radeon HD 6770

Mett-AL is still being judged by the masses

Exclamation You do not have permission to change CATALYST Control Center settings

This is what I get on boot. CCC doesn't load when I click the shortcut. Restarting the runtime gives me the same error.

I've done the removed .net thing, remove the drivers, ran driver cleaner, etc.

Nothing works. I even messed around with the .net settings in the admin panel. I am an admin on my machine. It even happens when I log in with the adminstrator account also.

Anyone have a fix for this?
Old Jul 17, 2005, 06:31 PM   #2
mboyaj

mboyaj is still being judged by the masses

I am getting the same error.
mboyaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 06:31 AM   #3
Kombatant
K to the max!™

Kombatant once held a door open for a complete strangerKombatant once held a door open for a complete strangerKombatant once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Both your accounts belong to the administrator group?
Kombatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 18, 2005, 01:17 PM   #4
VexingV
Radeon HD 6670

VexingV is still being judged by the masses

i'm getting this error too. earlier i was having troubles with a dnssd.dll (related to rendevous/bonjour) and cli.exe wouldnt start b/c of that. i've reinstalled bonjour (i have macs as well on network) and installed .net sp 1. but i get the same permission error.

somehow my group account had changed to debuggers. i logged out and CCC opened again. but after a restart i had the same problem. eventually wound up doing a system restore to right after the drivers got installed. reinstalled CCC, and now things are working again.

Hitmen never die!

Last edited by VexingV : Jul 18, 2005 at 03:07 PM. Reason: update
VexingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 07:40 PM   #5
Mett-AL
Radeon HD 6770

Yep, my account is in the administrator group. I even logged in as the administrator just to check to see if my account was ok. Same deal..no permissions.

I submitted a help ticket to ATI and have gotten the same response twice even though I respond that I have tried what they suggest and it didnt solve my issue.

This does not solve the problem:
Quote:

If you are experiencing issues with the Catalyst Control Center starting,
or if you are receiving an error similar to "Cli.exe - Application error
- The application failed to initialize properly", verify that you have
installed the Microsoft .NET component and reinstall the Catalyst Control Center
with out any Anti-virus or background applications running. A link to the Microsoft
.NET component can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

For usage and feature information, the Catalyst Control Center user’s
guide is also available online at the following location:

http://www2.ati.com/manuals/ccc_user_guide.pdf

If you are experiencing issues with the Catalyst Control Center, such as, missing
features, start up problems, errors or other issues, you may need to perform
a thorough reinstall of the Catalyst software suite. To do this please follow
these instructions:

* Download the latest Catalyst package at the following location and
save it to your desktop: (be sure to write down the file name, you will need
it later)

* http://www.ati.com/home/online/CatalystCCCdriver.html

* Go to add/remove
programs in the control panel and uninstall all ATI software that is listed

* Reboot
the computer

* Cancel any “Found New Hardware Wizard” windows that
open

* Install the Catalyst suite by double clicking on the file that you have
downloaded

* Reboot the computer

Old Jul 20, 2005, 01:30 PM   #6
Mett-AL
Radeon HD 6770

Ok, got a human response this time. It seems they have only seen this happen two times before.

Here's what the tech said:
Quote:
This problem can be worked around by uninstalling all of the ATI software and reinstall with Catalyst 5.7 with Control Panels instead of the CCC. I have seen this issue 2 times now and have not been able to recreate the issue. If you can, please create a problem report and attach it to this ticket using the following tool.

Requirements

* Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP or Windows NT 4.0

Supports

* PCI and AGP ATI graphics adapters (does NOT support notebooks)

Notes

* The ATI Utilities is from January 2004, and may not be accurate for all configurations
* It is intended for desktop PC products only

Download

* Filename: ATI-UTIL-Jan-2004.exe
* File Size: 1.23 MB
* Posted: 02/24/2004

This Package Contains
ATI Adapter Information Tool - identifies the ATI GRAPHICS CHIP in your system [labeled "Graphics Chipset (ASIC)"], plus the bus type, BIOS part number and memory size

ATI Problem Report Wizard - gathers system and driver details for analysis by ATI Technical Support

ati_problem_report_begin.gif (7607 bytes)

Installation Instructions
After downloading the file, locate the ATI-UTIL-Jan-2004.exe file on your system and launch it.

By default the utilities will unpack into C:\ATI\SUPPORT\ATI_UTILITIES\.

Use the Adapter Information Tool (ATIINFO.EXE) to determine which ATI GRAPHICS CHIP (ASIC) is installed in your machine. This will tell you which DRIVERS and TECHNICAL INFORMATION on this website apply to you. Additional information such as the bus type, BIOS part number and memory size are also displayed.

Use the Problem Report Wizard (ATIIPRXX.EXE) when contacting ATI Technical Support for assistance. Fill in the requested information and click NEXT after each page. When you reach the end of the Wizard and click the FINISH button, the completed problem report will be displayed in Windows Notepad.

For more details on the utilities in this bundle and how to use the Problem Report Wizard, please see the file:

C:\ATI\SUPPORT\ATI_UTILITIES\ATI_REPORTING_PROBLEMS.CHM.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 01:09 AM   #7
Zoinks!
Radeon HD 6870

Zoinks! is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs up Sweeeeet

Sweet--- I'm just the 5th person in the entire world to get this bug. It's something to be proud of.

Everything in my system was working so of course I had no choice but to tweak it till it broke.

I had 30 processes running and ~280 meg commit charge at boot up so I wanted to trim that down. I launched services.msc from the Run menu option and started turning things off if I thought I could get away without it.

After rebooting, two problems: my internet connection didn't work and I was getting the same dialog box and symptoms as in the original post.

I fiddled around with services a bit and got my web browser working again but I haven't yet tracked down which service I need to fix my ccc issue. I'm assuming one of the services I shut down is the cause of the problem because it worked fine before then.

On the plus side, I'm now running 23 processes and 201 meg commit charge even with Firefox using 40 megs.

But I'm thinking maybe I should've written down which services I changed...
Old Jul 22, 2005, 03:25 AM   #8
Zoinks!
Radeon HD 6870

Zoinks! is still being judged by the masses

Arrow Bow down, because I've solved the problem.

The service called "DCOM Server Process Launcher" must be set to Automatic startup using Run--->services.msc. Then ccc will load without issue.

The sad part is, it brings my commit charge back up to 250 megs. That ccc really is a heavy hitter...
Old Jul 26, 2005, 02:11 PM   #9
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Sasquach once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Sasquach once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Sasquach once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Sasquach once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Sasquach once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I get this error message on bootup.

and when i try to manually run CCC it just doesnt load.

My Dcom thing was already set to automatic, so i dunno....

My comp is fubared right now so i'll likely fix this issue when i reinstall everything at some point....
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Samsung Syncmaster 205BW (21" widescreen) on ATI Radeon HD 5870 (Catalyst 11.1a)
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Logitech Z-5300 THX 5.1 surround and Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
---AMD Dragon+ Platform---
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 12:39 PM   #10
busboy
I'm the wallet inspector

busboy is still being judged by the masses

Stop playing around with MSCONFIG you 1337 haxors.......I got this error as well and fixed it 2 minutes later ... to be honest i forget what service i re-enabled but thats what fixed it for me.....it also affect NAV BTW so go figure it out for yourself or just go back to the standard config.
busboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 08:09 PM   #11
b0bd0le
Radeon HD 6850

b0bd0le is still being judged by the masses

i've just finished re-install the 5.7s after running the instructions according to the Driver Cleaner Readme. I am still getting this error...

does anyone have a working solution?
b0bd0le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:32 PM   #12
Sharkfood
Rage3D Veteran

Sharkfood is still being judged by the masses

Check your registry permissions and see if this helps. I've seen XP do this when some rogue app goes through and changes registry permissions with a wildcard and locks down sub-keys it has no business touching.

Local Machine, System, ControlSet01, Class, Video

You should have several Class-ID keys. Expand each tree. If you have a ton of ATI ones, you SHOULD consider a fresh re-install with Driver Cleaner Pro. Lots of people just install new drivers over the old, and this creates two(2) new subtrees each time!

Anyways, locate the most current ones that pertain to your card. There will be two of them loaded with settings- one for the Primary, one for the Secondary. Unlock the entire key (for example: {LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{3E83BC39-35B5-4A18-B575-5FC295801F9C}"

THis is my CLASS-ID for the Primary X800 Series. Right click on it, select "Permissions" and make sure Full Control and Read are checked for Administrators... then try a reboot.

It wouldn't hurt to also check the ATI and ATI Technologies trees in Local Machine and Current User/Software trees. Administrators should usually have read/full-control on these system-level trees.

Don't spread my wealth, spread my work ethic.
3/21/2010 - R.I.P. Freedom, Democracy, America
Sharkfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 09:03 PM   #13
Liquicked

Liquicked is still being judged by the masses

The service that did it for me was setting the "Event Log" back to automatic. Apparently CCC can't start without the Event Log. As if the thing didn't use enough resources already.

Hope that helps.
Liquicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 11:37 AM   #14
crazyfreakid

crazyfreakid is still being judged by the masses

I have also tried all of these solutions except reverting to cat 5.7, and still have the same problem described in the original post. I don't have a service named "DCOM Server Process Launcher."
crazyfreakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 10:01 PM   #15
namsilat

namsilat is still being judged by the masses

Default you do not have permission to change CATALYST Control Center settings

I tried all the suggestions here and none worked. When I checked the registry settings, for some reason my account was not on the list of permission, but after adding it no difference was made. I just installed driver version 5.10. Where can I get older driver version? I think the problem only started in the past couple of versions for me.
namsilat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 11:32 PM   #16
Mett-AL
Radeon HD 6770

I gave up. Finally just reinstalled Windows. All is working now.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 01:37 AM   #17
Moevan1
X800XL

Moevan1 is still being judged by the masses

I had this error as well after a new PC setup. Just went back to 5.9's without that lame CCC
1024MB Corsair PC3200 Dual Channel DDR 400Mhz running

ATI X800XL 256DDR3 radeon
Moevan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 02:32 PM   #18
spiny
Radeon HD 6870

spiny is still being judged by the masses

I got this too. I noticed that the cli.exe has added a -Delay parameter added since 5.9. I think what is happining is that the .NET runtime isn't initialising before the cli.exe gets run, hence erroring. Dunno about a fix tho.

http://www.electricdeath.com
spiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 03:59 PM   #19
tEd
Hans Dampf im Schnägäloch

tEd is still being judged by the masses

I've just got this error after i used windows update which installed 10-12 security updates. After deinstalling them all manually everything works again. If i'm in the mood i install them separately to see which one caused the problem
tEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 05:53 AM   #20
rickray

rickray is still being judged by the masses

i have the same problem too. i tried all the above methods and still not working. i do think it is caused by the recent windows updates that cause the problem because my CCC was just find last month.
rickray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 02:12 PM   #21
rhyinem
Radeon HD 6770

rhyinem is still being judged by the masses

In some cases, the Event Logger service in msconfig or service.msc has been disabled. When the service is re-enabled, the error goes away. I tried this on my computer, got the error and then fixed it by enabling the event log.
TV Wonder 650
BBA X1900XT
rhyinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 02:43 PM   #22
chuckpc

chuckpc is still being judged by the masses

I'm having this same problem On a XP Home (Via P4PB 400FL motherboard)
I'm installing a new Novatech AI-9550 128MB.

The event logger has been in auto mode all through this tale of woe.
User has adminitrator privledges.

1. Installed the Catalyst v5.13 Control Center Package (full) and got the error.

"You do not have permission to change Catalyst Control Center ..."

2. Reinstalled from Safe Mode Administrator (after uninstall) same problem.

3. Installed separate packages "Display Driver Only" then " Catalyst Control Center Only" ... same problem

4. Disabled event logger, rebooted. Then set event logger to auto, rebooted still the same problem.

I've looked at the registry. XP Home doesn't seem to have a permissions section.

Any ideas?
I can't open the Catalyst Control Panel even from safe mode administrator!

Last edited by chuckpc : Dec 24, 2005 at 02:45 PM.
chuckpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 09:56 PM   #23
Cybertronic

Cybertronic is still being judged by the masses

I also get this error too

Is there any utlity that allows me to adjust the graphic settings other than ATi Tool Tray which gives me an error saying that it's unable to retreive settings from my X1800 XT's BIOS ?
Cybertronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 07:45 PM   #24
Voodooking
Radeon HD 6850

Voodooking is still being judged by the masses

I get this error once in a while, but I'm able to restart the CCC with no problems. I guess it's just one of those quirks.
Voodooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 06:46 AM   #25
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybertronic
I also get this error too

Is there any utlity that allows me to adjust the graphic settings other than ATi Tool Tray which gives me an error saying that it's unable to retreive settings from my X1800 XT's BIOS ?
Turn off overclocking and temp monitoring on install of ATT and it works ok with X1800 cards then.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 03:48 PM   #26
chuckpc

chuckpc is still being judged by the masses

Well I've wasted hours trying every combination of old and new drivers and still get "You do not have permission to change Catalyst Control Center settings ..." Changing back to my old card even triggered a MS XP reactivation go round with India, so be careful.

The sticky above (thanks to Kombatant + rseiler) shows how to use the old control panel with Catalyst v5.13. I got that working and had enough control options to get the HDTV adapter going and multi-monitor modes set. It's a workaround but it gets the job done.

ATI, please fix this. You make fairly good hardware but do something about the hair shirt software and drivers.

Next I'll open the Sappire Theatrix 550 Pro and see what joys await.

Ref: XP Home (Via P4PB 400FL motherboard)
I'm installing a new Novatech AI-9550 128MB.

Last edited by chuckpc : Dec 26, 2005 at 05:08 PM.
chuckpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 04:14 PM   #27
Cybertronic

Cybertronic is still being judged by the masses

spyre, thanks!

I can now adjust my settings for my X1800 XT at last!
Cybertronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 02:08 AM   #28
trollfan

trollfan is still being judged by the masses

Videocard hmmm

mine CCC still doesn't open, and hasnt done since 5.13 or something like that and none of the above hints seem to help (disable / enable event log just seemed to hide / show the error message about not having permissions)
trollfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 05:17 PM   #29
binxxx

binxxx is still being judged by the masses

Default No permission

I installed the latest ati catalyst drivers 6.1 and also the control central and all went well but when i go to access the control center it says i dont have permission and i should contact adminstrator, which i am logged in as, i read the previous replies i am not sure how to fix this problem still, can someone help lease, thank you in advance.
p.s Event log is on auto.

Last edited by binxxx : Jan 29, 2006 at 10:41 PM.
binxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 03:56 AM   #30
Micand

Micand is still being judged by the masses

Windows Management Instrumentation was the problematic service for me. After re-enabling it, the CCC "You don't have permission" error went away. Whenever one suspects a disabled service may be at the root of a problem, try going into Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Event Viewer, going to the System log, and viewing any recent errors. With a bit of luck and some Googling, you will often find exactly which service needs to be reenabled. For example, the CCC problem I was having caused an event mentioning winmgmt to be logged repeatedly. Googling 'winmgmt service' led to the information that winmgmt corresponded to Windows Management Instrumentation, and re-enabling that service fixed the issue.
Micand is offline   Reply With Quote