Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support Discussion and Technical support forum for AMD's Radeon Software.

Closed Thread

Old Apr 7, 2005, 11:49 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
MSteve
Radeon R420

MSteve is still being judged by the masses

Exclamation Problem: 5.3-5.10 TV Out + Theatre mode + Overscan = vertically stretched image

When I turn on TV-Out, set Theatre mode to aspect:"Same as source video", TV aspect: "4:3", and TV adjustment "Overscan" on, then all videos I play out to the TV are stretched vertically. This started with 5.3 and still 5.4 has the same problem. Any prior versions work fine. I'm using the CP versions (not CCC).

I'm not sure but this problem seems to have coincided with the appearance of a new button under TV adjustment called "Video" (only apprears when playing a video), which appears to act like overscan and also streches the video vertically.

I want my working overscan, normal looking TV Out video back!!!

Last edited by MSteve : Nov 12, 2005 at 12:23 AM.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 07:46 AM   #2
somebody

somebody is still being judged by the masses

Before 5.3 theater mode set tvout to 640x480 when 4:3 was selected and 720x480 for 16:9.
Since 5.3 it's set at 720x480 regardless of what you set display aspect at.
Using 4.12 until this gets resolved.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 10:05 AM   #3
MSteve
Radeon R420

Thanks, glad to know it's not just me. I'll submit a bug report to ATI. I'm curious as to why you aren't using 5.2?
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 8, 2005, 01:12 PM   #4
somebody

somebody is still being judged by the masses

I've got a 9800pro and only play Medal of Honor Spearhead and don't use the new control center. I'd probably be ok with the 3.10's.
As a work around, instead of using Theater mode, you could extend desktop onto TV and open media player full screen on it. TV at 800x600 is still 4:3.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 01:46 PM   #5
Auric
Bananad

Auric is still being judged by the masses

Yeah, I posted aboot this defect with the last drivers. One would expect it would be resolved before releasing another set. But nooo. Perhaps WHQL should include TVO testing, especially since XP MCE.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 10:54 AM   #6
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

I reported the problem to ATI, make sure you do the same please
Old Apr 12, 2005, 08:12 PM   #7
Auric
Bananad

I would but doing so requires registration now so I shan't. Anyway, one report should be enough since it is such a critical and universal issue.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 08:17 PM   #8
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auric
I would but doing so requires registration now so I shan't. Anyway, one report should be enough since it is such a critical and universal issue.
Nope doesnt work like that, if you dont report it dont expect it fixed any time soon
Old Apr 13, 2005, 03:25 AM   #9
Auric
Bananad

Meh. They may have f'd it up in February and already corrected it in February or March but continued releasing new builds as scheduled. 4.12 works fine for me and most of the "fixes" as of late are really just development of the CCC that "no one" uses anyway. The one thing I cared 'nuff aboot to contact ATI, and encourage others to do likewise, is the lack of options for FPD scaling. That was prolly six months to a year ago and the only official mention has been words to the effect of "users don't need it", which is patently insane with the growth of FPD sales.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:45 AM   #10
Auric
Bananad

The defect remains in 5.6. Come on ATI...

Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:38 AM   #11
MSteve
Radeon R420

Crap! Thanks, I haven't tried 5.6 yet, I am really getting tired of uninstalling old, installing new, testing, uninstalling new, re-installing old.

This is getting ridiculous, 4 versions now, how can this be such a low priority? Do so few people actually use TV out Theatre mode?! I use it practically every day.

Oh well, at least 5.2 (I'm using now) is an ok performer.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 01:44 AM   #12

avatar51 is still being judged by the masses

yep same god damn issue
Old Jun 11, 2005, 11:44 AM   #13
MSteve
Radeon R420

What's strange is that it's not even mentionned in the known issues after all this time... please, anyone who slightly cares about this problem take a few seconds to submit an ATI problem report/Catalyst feedback.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 02:35 PM   #14
Grimdeath
Radeon R100

Grimdeath is still being judged by the masses

I just figured out the same thing last night; I just turn overscan off and adjusted the picture slightly off the screen myself.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 09:21 AM   #15
GTRFan

GTRFan is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs down

Hi, I am also experiencing this same problem... I created an ATI problem ticket to hopefully have them look into to it. Their response was that there have been no other reports of this issue. I pointed them to this thread I found since it appeared I was not alone. In the end they closed the ticket with this solution:

"We are unable to recreate this issue when using Catalyst 5.2-5.6. You should be able to adjust the size of the image without using the overscan feature. The overscan feature is only supposed to be used with 16:9 TV sets. You should be able to use the adjustments tab in the driver to size the image on the TV correctly."

So I guess it will not be fixed since clearly we are suddenly using the TV Out feature the wrong way... or on the wrong TVs. Personally, without overscan the TV Out video will not reach the right and left edges of my TV even when resized to the max.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 03:57 PM   #16
Auric
Bananad

Refer the helper monkeys at ATI directly to the resolution/aspect ratio issue described in post #2. Overscan doesn't really enter into it.
Old Jul 3, 2005, 09:16 AM   #17
MSteve
Radeon R420

Hmmm, no understanding/knowledge of the problem... I was waiting thinking they just slipped up in 5.3, were going to realize this and correct it any version now.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 01:13 PM   #18
DaVinci42
Radeon R300

DaVinci42 is still being judged by the masses

Could somebody test to see if Cat 5.7 fixes this problem yet. I'm not at home yet.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 04:27 PM   #19
Auric
Bananad

Release notes make no mention though other problems with TVO were corrected so hopefully it was dealt with. I eagerly await the news but shan't hold my breath lest we must wait yet another three months.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 01:31 AM   #20
Auric
Bananad

Thumbs down

It's still fooked.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 03:48 PM   #21
DaVinci42
Radeon R300

Quote:
It's still fooked.
Everyone, please make sure to send a message to Catalyst Feedback. They don't even have this problem listed in the known problems section.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 05:41 AM   #22
drakkar
Radeon R200

drakkar is still being judged by the masses

Hi.

I've had the same problem since cat5.3

I've sent off a problem ticket to ATI, and their first reply was an automated one which didn't even get close to solving the problem.

Their second reply was from a tech guy, but his solution was to turn on full screen, which solves problems for 4:3 video but not widescreen.

I'm waiting for their third reply, but I'm thinking this can only be solved by FIXING the driver and not by any option or tweaking.

I just can't believe there aren't more people complaining about this problem.

For now, I'm using media player classic to vertically shrink the video slightly to watch widescreen video on my TV output.

Last edited by drakkar : Jul 21, 2005 at 05:44 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 01:43 AM   #23
DaVinci42
Radeon R300

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakkar
Hi.

I've had the same problem since cat5.3

I've sent off a problem ticket to ATI, and their first reply was an automated one which didn't even get close to solving the problem.

Their second reply was from a tech guy, but his solution was to turn on full screen, which solves problems for 4:3 video but not widescreen.

I'm waiting for their third reply, but I'm thinking this can only be solved by FIXING the driver and not by any option or tweaking.

I just can't believe there aren't more people complaining about this problem.

For now, I'm using media player classic to vertically shrink the video slightly to watch widescreen video on my TV output.

Make sure you send your message to "Catalyst Feedback".
Old Jul 23, 2005, 12:10 AM   #24
drakkar
Radeon R200

Done.

Man, I had to search the whole damn ati.com site to find catalyst feedback.
Anyhow, the final answer I got from the ati tech support was that this issue has been found in some TVs, and not in others.

So I asked them to include an option in CCC to allow us to switch back to theater mode resolution pre Cat 5.2 so that people with this problematic TV can use theater mode.

So...

People with this problem should let ATI know or it will never get solved!
Old Jul 26, 2005, 01:05 PM   #25
MSteve
Radeon R420

Drakkar, just so I'm clear on this, is your TV 4:3? Mine is, and I guess the problem is when I watch widescreen aspect videos on my 4:3 TV, I never even though about fullscreen videos. I wonder if ATI has even tried testing widescreen .AVI video output to 4:3 TVs? I generally use WMP10 to view widescreen aspect .AVI content out to the TV. I haven't tried the latest 5.7, like I said earlier, I'm tired of all the re/de/installing. Still working fine with 5.2.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 04:58 PM   #26
Auric
Bananad

With a 4:3 TV, all video playback is distorted but the effect may not be as readily noticed with widescreen videos. Personally, I am fanatical about correct aspect ratios and loathe any cropping or distortion. Many folks seem not to notice or care and happily enjoy Pan & Scan or stretching -especially "standard" filling widescreen (yech!).
Old Jul 27, 2005, 12:57 AM   #27
drakkar
Radeon R200

Quote:
With a 4:3 TV, all video playback is distorted but the effect may not be as readily noticed with widescreen videos. Personally, I am fanatical about correct aspect ratios and loathe any cropping or distortion. Many folks seem not to notice or care and happily enjoy Pan & Scan or stretching -especially "standard" filling widescreen (yech!).
You took the words right out of my mouth.

My TV is 4:3, and indeed all video playback is distorted, unless I turn on the full screen video option in the theater mode menu when watching 4:3 video file.

Wide screen video is streched vertically 'slightly' with the full screen option turned off. As I said before, I use media player classic to shrink the source video vertical height to correct the TV out aspect ratio. I use media player classic to do this since all that is required is to tap the num key 2 to shrink the video.

I sincerely hope that ATI adds a simple option to use the TV out resolution from cat5.2 and before.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 12:09 AM   #28
Auric
Bananad

You may find it handy to create a corrected aspect ratio preset under the Pan & Scan menu.

I wondered if a certain file may be responsible for the problem and could be replaced with a working one and found ativtmxx.dll "ATI Overlay Theater Mode Provider" to be promising until discovering that the same version 6.14.10.6246 is used in both 5.2 (sans problem) & 5.7 (avec problem).

In later drivers there is a change in WDM to either SP or NSP drivers -the latter being new but not installed by default for my X800XL VIVO. I have not tried those. Where exactly does the problem lie within the drivers?
Old Aug 16, 2005, 09:56 PM   #29
Auric
Bananad

So who wants to be the 5.8 guinea pig?
Old Aug 17, 2005, 05:32 AM   #30
drakkar
Radeon R200

No change with the new catalyst 5.8 driver.
Damn. I guess I'll be going with Nvidia the next time round.

This really blows.
Closed Thread