Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Computing Forums » Operating Systems » Linux » Drivers
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drivers Discussion forum for Linux drivers.

"
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan 22, 2005, 05:18 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Jello_jollo
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2
Jello_jollo is still being judged by the masses


Default XFree 4.3 + 8.8.25 = slow & no DVI

Hi all

i tried to install the new 8.8.25 driver for my Radeon 9200SE running on debian sarge, kernel 2.6.8. I followed Flavio Stanchias Guide for installing the kernel driver.

On the old driver, i used my DVI port for output, but after installing the new driver, i get a black screen on dvi after X started. If i use the analog output, i get the X Server.

I have connected both Adapters, tried clone, single head and big desktop, but dvi just doesn't show anything.

And fglrxgears seems to be a little slow:

453 frames in 5.0 seconds = 90.600 FPS



fglrxinfo only shows one screen:

Quote:
~$ fglrxinfo
display: :0.0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: RADEON 9200SE DDR Generic
OpenGL version string: 1.3.4769 (X4.3.0-8.8.25)
I tried both my old XF86Config-4 and that one created by fglrxconfig.


I hope anyone can help me to get back my dvi output.

Jello
Jello_jollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 02:28 AM   #2
Toby Allsopp
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1
Toby Allsopp is still being judged by the masses


Default

I have almost exactly the same setup (Debian Sarge, Linux 2.6.8, 9200SE, DVI) and have exactly the same problem (monitor turns off when connected to DVI output, works fine on analog output).

My monitor is an AOC LM721A, native resolution 1280x1024. What's yours, Jello?

Toby.
Toby Allsopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 02:45 AM   #3
JonSvenJonsson
Radeon HD 6970
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 581
JonSvenJonsson is still being judged by the masses


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello_jollo
Hi all

i tried to install the new 8.8.25 driver for my Radeon 9200SE running on debian sarge, kernel 2.6.8. I followed Flavio Stanchias Guide for installing the kernel driver.

On the old driver, i used my DVI port for output, but after installing the new driver, i get a black screen on dvi after X started. If i use the analog output, i get the X Server.

I have connected both Adapters, tried clone, single head and big desktop, but dvi just doesn't show anything.

And fglrxgears seems to be a little slow:

453 frames in 5.0 seconds = 90.600 FPS



fglrxinfo only shows one screen:



I tried both my old XF86Config-4 and that one created by fglrxconfig.


I hope anyone can help me to get back my dvi output.

Jello
For fgl_glxgears try an
Code:
ldd fgl_glxgears
and see which library it uses (or an
Code:
LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose fgl_glxgears
)
For your DVI maybe you need to provide an MonitorLayout in your xconfig ?
Cheers Jon
JonSvenJonsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 28, 2005, 04:40 AM   #4
Jello_jollo
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2
Jello_jollo is still being judged by the masses


Default

My Monitor is a Maxdata 101910.

I switched back to the old drivers, so i can't check the libraries used by the new driver. My old driver shows:

Code:
ldd /usr/bin/X11/fgl_glxgears
		libGL.so.1 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1 (0x4002d000)
		libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 (0x400d2000)
		libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (0x4019a000)
		libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/libm.so.6 (0x401a8000)
		libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0x401ca000)
		libpthread.so.0 => /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0 (0x402fe000)
		libdl.so.2 => /lib/tls/libdl.so.2 (0x4030d000)
		/lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)
and

Code:
 LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose fgl_glxgears
libGL: XF86DRIGetClientDriverName: 3.14.6 fglrx (screen 0)
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/fglrx_dri.so
libGL: XF86DRIGetClientDriverName: 3.14.6 fglrx (screen 0)
drmOpenByBusid: busid is PCI:1:0:0
drmOpenDevice: minor is 0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 4, (OK)
drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 4
drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports PCI:1:0:0
To solve the DVI output, i tried every possible combination of monitor layouts, using auto, lvds and tmds options, but nothing changed.

Jello
Jello_jollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 04:57 AM   #5
JonSvenJonsson
Radeon HD 6970
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 581
JonSvenJonsson is still being judged by the masses


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello_jollo
Code:
ldd /usr/bin/X11/fgl_glxgears
  libGL.so.1 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1 (0x4002d000)
  libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 (0x400d2000)
  libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (0x4019a000)
  libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/libm.so.6 (0x401a8000)
  libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0x401ca000)
  libpthread.so.0 => /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0 (0x402fe000)
  libdl.so.2 => /lib/tls/libdl.so.2 (0x4030d000)
  /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)
and

Code:
 LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose fgl_glxgears
libGL: XF86DRIGetClientDriverName: 3.14.6 fglrx (screen 0)
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/fglrx_dri.so
libGL: XF86DRIGetClientDriverName: 3.14.6 fglrx (screen 0)
drmOpenByBusid: busid is PCI:1:0:0
drmOpenDevice: minor is 0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 4, (OK)
drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 4
drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports PCI:1:0:0
Jello
Good this shows fgl_glxgears picks up the right libGL and fglrx_dri.so, so for the low scores in fgl_glxgears it may be your card is to slow to achieve higher scores (afaik the se have a crippled down memory interface), so i think you have to live with it. For the dvi, sorry i dont know, as i dont have one.
cheers Jon
JonSvenJonsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 05:36 AM   #6
Nyra
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4
Nyra is still being judged by the masses


Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello_jollo
To solve the DVI output, i tried every possible combination of monitor layouts, using auto, lvds and tmds options, but nothing changed.
Jello
Same for me, DVI is just broken. :-(

Mobile Fire GL T2 (Radeon 9600 Mobility) in a Thinkpad notebook, external DVI via docking station. Worked with another Thinkpad with the Mobility 9000 and an old driver, but not with the 9600.

I can only get external CRT to work, which is *really* disappointing.

No combination of MonitorLayout helps.

I think, we should file a bug in the bugzilla (will do as soon as I can).

http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=69 seems to be related, but does not really emphasize the point that DVI is buggy.

Greets!
Nyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Xfree 4.4 and Bad stuff Bitey Linux 25 Feb 21, 2004 09:09 PM
Xfree 4.4.0 RC3 is out! rinthos Linux 8 Feb 15, 2004 01:02 PM
XFree 4.4 kidgenius Linux 1 Jan 19, 2004 04:20 PM
xfree 4.3.0 help on red hat 8!!! dannyai Linux 10 Mar 19, 2003 01:45 AM
xfree cvs for 7500 steve196 Radeon Technical Support 0 Dec 27, 2001 09:38 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners. Copyright ©1998-2011 Rage3D.com
Links monetized by VigLink