Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

"

Old Jul 20, 2004, 02:45 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Maelstrom
Emperor of the Galaxy

Maelstrom is still being judged by the masses

Default Doom 3 system requirements

July 20, 2004, 8:26AM

COMPUTING
Gamers, check under hood because Doom 3 is coming
By DWIGHT SILVERMAN
Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

If there's a gamer in your life, chances are you've noticed some strange behavior since last week.

There's that glassy stare, the twitchy hands, jumpiness, maybe even a little drooling and certainly some muttering. It's what happens when id Software says "It's done!" with its latest first-person-shooter title.

On Wednesday, Mesquite-based id announced that Doom 3, a much-higher-tech remake of the game that put it on the map, had gone gold. It will ship to stores Aug. 3.

In the gaming world, this is no minor event. Doom 3 has been in the works for four years and is built on id co-founder and chief programmer John Carmack's latest graphics technology.

Carmack's wizardry usually influences other developers, making a big impact on the future of PC gaming. And because id's titles are also released for consoles like the Sony Playstation and Microsoft's Xbox, they influence video games as well.

The last new-generation engine from id was introduced with Quake 3 in 1999, and previews of Doom 3 have hinted it's an even bigger leap forward. Players will be treated to near-cinematic images as they battle demons from Hell on Mars, provided they have the right hardware.

Each successive game pushes existing hardware limits, a tradition since the release of the original Doom, which introduced multiplayer death match gaming. College students in 1993 became obsessed with battling their dorm neighbors, to the point that many college networks buckled under the load.

A new id game has the potential to drive sales of both components and new PCs as gamers upgrade in preparation. Hardware makers are as excited as gamers.

Todd Hollenshead, id's chief executive, said Doom 3 will require:

• A 1.5-gigahertz Intel Pentium 4 chip or AMD Athlon 1500.
• 384 megabytes of memory.
• Two gigabytes of hard drive space.
• An nVidia GeForce 3 graphics card or better; or an ATI Technologies 8500 or better.
If your existing rig doesn't meet these specs, here's a guide to beefing it up to play Doom 3 in all its gory glory.

• Graphics card. This is the best upgrade you can make for Doom 3. It's also where computer makers, looking to cut corners on mainstream systems, often wimp out.
Here's hoping the PC you own doesn't have a graphics adapter that borrows memory from the main system. So-called shared graphics notoriously choke on high-end games, and most budget systems don't include an AGP slot that lets you install a better card.

ATI Technologies and nVidia are the two biggest providers of graphics cards. As you move up either company's set of offerings, the results will improve. Cards at the top of the heap — nVidia's GeForce FX and newer 6800 series, or ATI's Radeon 9800 or newer X series — will provide the best experience and cost the most.

If you're upgrading, look for at least 128 MB of video memory in a card with Direct X 9.0 capability that installs into an AGP slot. Cards in the $150 to $200 range — such as a GeForce 5900XT or a Radeon 9600XT — will be a sweet spot.

• Memory. The 384 MB minimum may trip up a lot of systems. Many mainstream PCs in the last few years have come with 128 or 256 MB of memory. If you want to play Doom 3, more memory is better. I'd recommend 512 MB, and adding up to a gigabyte would be smart.

Check with the maker of your PC to see what type of memory it requires. Prices varies depending on the source and type, but use $50 per 128 MB as a benchmark.

• Hard drive. This is one category that may not require an upgrade at all — just some spring cleaning on your part.

If your hard drive is nearing capacity, take some time to clear off at least twice as much space as the game requires. That means you'll need at least 4 GB free.

Of course, if you're down to your last few gigs, you probably should buy a new drive. Get the biggest you can afford, with at least 7,200 revolutions per minute. You'll pay in the $80 range for a 120-GB Enhanced IDE drive or around $95 for a Serial ATA model.

• Processor. Although this is harder to upgrade, it's key to your Doom 3 experience. The minimum may be 1.5 GHz, but you'll probably want at least a 2-GHz Intel Pentium or equivalent AMD Athlon chip. The ideal is 3 GHz or better.

But if you do need a new chip, unless you take joy in swapping out a motherboard or building your own system, Doom 3 is probably as good an excuse as any to buy a new PC.
Link
40GB Ultra DMA HD
16x DVD-Rom
40x12x40 CD Writer
Radeon 9800 Pro
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 02:47 PM   #2
lumpyhed
nyannyannyannyan

lumpyhed once held a door open for a complete strangerlumpyhed once held a door open for a complete strangerlumpyhed once held a door open for a complete strangerlumpyhed once held a door open for a complete stranger

*Points @ Doom3/HL2 forum*

It will arrive there soon enough
lumpyhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 02:47 PM   #3
proz

Those required specs arent as high end as I was expecting it to be. Good article
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 20, 2004, 03:55 PM   #4
TIKtak
Me

TIKtak is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by proz
Those required specs arent as high end as I was expecting it to be. Good article
I had the same expectations. Those system requirements are bare minimum.
TIKtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 03:59 PM   #5
AsDDff
Resident EviL

AsDDff is still being judged by the masses

you could do with less but it isnt recommened... Try running ut2k3 with a tnt2 and a celeron 333
Old Jul 20, 2004, 04:03 PM   #6
shockwave
canucklehead

shockwave is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIKtak
I had the same expectations. Those system requirements are bare minimum.
they always release extremely low specs. the game will run, but it'll look like crap. unless you have a 9800pro or above, you'll probably have to turn down the graphics settings if you want to play at 1280 X 960, and do with very little or no AA/AF
shockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 04:21 PM   #7
Dizoja86
Buried above ground

Dizoja86 is still being judged by the masses

sweet, the news article on gamespot about the requirements makes it look like my 9500 pro should be fine for the game Even if i have to run at 800x600
Dizoja86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 04:40 PM   #8
chadro
[tR3D]kount_n00bula

chadro is still being judged by the masses

my 9600 XT with 2 Ghz CPU and 512 MB of DDR should run this suXor
Old Jul 20, 2004, 04:54 PM   #9
Alientank
Mr. Pinch point

Alientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badges

WTF? The guy just reiterated what's been said on the forum 200,000,000 times. Nothing new here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saggypoo View Post
It's happening to Jupiter now? Usually there's objects constantly slamming against Uranus.
Alientank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 05:05 PM   #10
TheOwly1
Rage3D Veteran

TheOwly1 is still being judged by the masses

Ahem! i repeat: LOOK WHAT IT SAYS ON THE BOX

TheOwly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 05:15 PM   #11
TIKtak
Me

TIKtak is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOwly1

TIKtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 05:32 PM   #12
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrawdaddy79 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrawdaddy79 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Your computer is not nearly powerful enough to run Doom 3. At all.

You must upgrade as soon as possible.
Crawdaddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 10:46 PM   #13
smallSHEEP
Radeon HD 6870

smallSHEEP is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOwly1

I think we all know it's going to require the power of jesus to run.
24" Samsung LCD / X-fi Music / Sennheiser 555 Headphones
smallSHEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 11:07 PM   #14
Liuke
Fuzzy Bunnies go BOIIING!

Liuke is still being judged by the masses

Some games have both a minimum and recommended system requirements listed. If they have both, I usually interpret the "recommended" as the minimum and don't even bother w/ the minimum. In a lot of situations, I found the minimum will indeed run the game but not in a way that I would enjoy it. I wouldn't be surprised if Doom 3 will fall into this same camp. I'm wondering if they will have recommended specs.

Sometimes I think companies post minimum req as low as they do just so they can sell more copies. I mean the lower they make the req, the more customers they get when those customers look at the specs on the box and see that their system meets it. Just my conspiracy theory....
A64 X2 3800+ | Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe | 2 x 512 MB Crucial Ballistix PC3200 | 2 x BFG 6800 GT OC | BFG 550W PSU | WD Raptor 74GB | WD 160GB SE | Lite-On 52x32x52 CD-RW + 16X DVD-ROM | Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 | Logitech Z-680 5.1 Speakers | Logitech G15 | G5 | MX1000 | Ideazon Zboard | 3DMark03 = 20963 | 3DMark05 = 9645

P4 2.8C | Asus P4P800 Deluxe | 2x256MB Kingston HyperX PC3500 and 2x512MB Corsair Value DDR400 | ATI X800 XL | Antec TrueBlue 480W | WD 40GB | Saitek Eclipse KB | Razer Diamondback Plasma LE

Athlon XP-M 2500+ | Abit NF7-S | 2 x 256MB Corsair Value PC3200 and 1 x 512MB Simpletech Nitro PC3500 | AIW 9600 Pro | Enermax Noisetaker 470W PSU | WD 100GB SE | WD 80GB | WD 40GB | Lite-On 40x12x48 CD-RW | Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 1 | Logitech Cordless MX Duo + MX518
Liuke is offline   Reply With Quote